HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I've been following the Oilers since the late 90s. Between them and the Canadiens, I've been blessed with shit shows. I just want McDavid to win a cup. He's put in so much work over the years. Guy sacrifices his body, does everything needed to win. It's a farce that a douche like Eichel won before he did.
My take as well - McDavid is the only superstar in my lifetime who’s a complete non whiner. Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby were all whiners to refs at one point or another…. only time McDavid has even come remotely close was on a legit missed high stick call and after tearing into refs, he decided to take matters into his own hands and deekeed out 4 NYR who saw it coming from Center ice & were lined up inside their blue line but could do nothing to stop McDavid

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Yeah, if they win the cup with how bad Skinner, Nurse, Ceci & Desharnais are ....

Any other team and those four have killed the Cup dreams.
What is interesting here is that the Oilers superstar core are getting it done, but the supporting cast you mention are failing them, especially Skinner. In contrast, Toronto..... 'nuff said.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal
I wouldn't be shocked to see Skinner backstop the Oilers to a cup.

After years of watching a Habs team where Price was by far the most valuable player night in night out, I've learned the lesson that a goalie doesn't win you a cup... your skaters do.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002

After years of watching a Habs team where Price was by far the most valuable player night in night out, I've learned the lesson that a goalie doesn't win you a cup... your skaters do.

Backstop or stop gap?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Yes and no - TBay doesn’t win their two Cups without Vasilevsky despite their All Star squad.

Each year is a different reason because so much of winning in this non dynasty NHL is based on favorable opponent matchups IMO

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Keefe is so quotable... His latest: "I’ve had a number of well-established coaches in the league reach out to say that I should be happy now that I get to coach in the real NHL. Toronto is quite unique … it’s not like the rest of the league.:laugh:

source is at end of this article:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Keefe is so quotable... His latest: "I’ve had a number of well-established coaches in the league reach out to say that I should be happy now that I get to coach in the real NHL. Toronto is quite unique … it’s not like the rest of the league.:laugh:

Can't say he's wrong, Toronto and Montreal are definitely in a completely separated category from the rest of the league if you're a coach. Going any place else afterwards must feel like a freaking vacation.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

It’s actually refreshing players and now coaches are starting to publicly acknowledge what everyone knows is a significant contributor to 1993 being the last time a Canadian team won the Cup

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Not shitting here but didn't expect it to be this tight.................but enough about the beef Baroness from Buenos Aires.:DD:jk:

Sure didn't expect for Dallas and Florida to have such a tough time dispatching their opponents. Game fives will be huge and perhaps more indicative of what will be. Good for the fans of those respective teams where as Habs fans can just cross their fingers and hope a playoff appearance is in the future.:crossfing

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
There's the rub...

Having Gally, Armia, Anderson & Dvorak as 4 of your bottom 6 probably gives the Habs one of the more talented depth group of fwds in the league...

Problem is that paying them 20M$ also makes them the most expensive and limits how much there is left to pay for established top 6 talent
That rub is called incompetence,mismanagement etc if you ask me.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Even prime Suter was crap
He was apparently a major ass in Minnesota. Used to be a great player though.
Can't say he's wrong, Toronto and Montreal are definitely in a completely separated category from the rest of the league if you're a coach. Going any place else afterwards must feel like a freaking vacation.

I honestly question whether Montreal is as bad nowadays. Bergevin and Molson really tamed the media. Most of them are really friendly with MSL, the staff and the players. Even the fans aren't as crazy as they used to be. Toronto has become a shit show though.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I honestly question whether Montreal is as bad nowadays. Bergevin and Molson really tamed the media. Most of them are really friendly with MSL, the staff and the players. Even the fans aren't as crazy as they used to be. Toronto has become a shit show though.
It's a bit easier that it used to be, especially if the coach happens to have the gift of gab. Still, being our coach means having to deal with a lot more non-hockey stuff than most and being the permanent center of discussion of an entire province sports media, most of which are convinced they're either smarter than you or just as important as you are. You have to live with so many distractions and artificial drama, it has to take its toll. If you're the coach of the leafs, you can at least hope to get a bit of a break if the Jays or the Raptors are on a hot streak. With the Habs, you're the only thing that matters 24/7.

Last edited:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
What the hell? They get 2 days off between games 2 & 3 and from 4-7. What happened to every other day.

16 freaking days if it goes 7 games.
Since as long as I can remember, the Stanley cup final is rarely among the best series of the playoffs. There definitely is a fatigue on my part. I've been saying for a while now that it would be way more engaging if they changed it for the 3 games out of 5 system.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Stars-Oilers is higher quality hockey. It feels like the real Stanley Cup finals.

Since as long as I can remember, the Stanley cup final is rarely among the best series of the playoffs. There definitely is a fatigue on my part. I've been saying for a while now that it would be way more engaging if they changed it for the 3 games out of 5 system.

It's never going to happen. The playoffs are the most lucrative part of the year. They're not removing games worth millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad