HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I was waiting for the timeout but it never came

Apparently its a Knob thing according to Oil fans, not sure how true

Saw the same inaction in the Vancouver series as well in game 5 that they got destroyed so it fits.

Yeah, it does seem to be a Knob thing to not use his timeouts. I don't understand that at all. It gives the big boys a rest, a reset and you can make up a play. It's weird he doesn't use it.

Reactions: Apoplectic Habs Fan

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
In 1991 the Pens lost the first game of all four series before winning the Cup.

Don't know if any team has done that since but the Stars are taking a run at it, 3 for 3 so far and looking good.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Oil cant seem to get McDavid and Drai going at the same time either. If one has a good game, the other seems invisible.

A lot stems from in the playoffs, you need more from the support cast.

RNH and Kane show up for about 1 game per series. Holloway looks good in sporatic spurts.

Frankly Janmark and Brown somehow look better than majority of the top 6

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
And don’t look at the cap hit for next season, it’s not going to get better.

They're going to have to buy out Campbell this year. I don't think they have a choice. It saves them too much money over the next 3 years, and the final 3 years aren't awful.

Still Edmonton will have $6,516,667 of dead cap next season. Just such stupid cap management.

They're going to have around $12m in cap space, but need to sign 5F, and a D. There's only 14 players under contract. Bouchard's & Draisaitl's contracts both end summer of 2025.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So Hyman has 13 goals this playoffs and McDavid 4? We can totally get McDavid for Anderson. A no brainer. Edm gets karakter and we get some goals to get us TO the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Paddyjack

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Is Broberg that bad that Edmonton has no interest developing him at the NHL level?

Statwise he had a good AHL season, you imagine there is a reason you drafted him 8th overall.

You invested a lot of time in Desharnais who cant make a decision under pressure or a pass frankly, then the clusterfawk that is Darnell Nurse

I thought MTL was terrible at development

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Is Broberg that bad that Edmonton has no interest developing him at the NHL level?

Statwise he had a good AHL season, you imagine there is a reason you drafted him 8th overall.

You invested a lot of time in Desharnais who cant make a decision under pressure or a pass frankly, then the clusterfawk that is Darnell Nurse

I thought MTL was terrible at development
Moar size...

Apparently it's not only HF posters that fall for that silly & misguided perception.

Will be interesting to see if they make a swap or prefer to stick with the big guy that handles the puck like a grenade

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They're going to have to buy out Campbell this year. I don't think they have a choice. It saves them too much money over the next 3 years, and the final 3 years aren't awful.

Still Edmonton will have $6,516,667 of dead cap next season. Just such stupid cap management.

They're going to have around $12m in cap space, but need to sign 5F, and a D. There's only 14 players under contract. Bouchard's & Draisaitl's contracts both end summer of 2025.
McDavid and Draisaitl have masked so many of that teams problems. Their management during the McDavid era has been putrid. It’s worse then when Bergevin was here with Price. If they somehow come out with a cup, they should build statues for those guys immediately after. Their goalies are just giving teams games. Nurse as one of the highest paid defenseman in the league is laughable, depth that is junk unless they’re paired with one of their stars, inadequate coaching, etc. It’s amazing that they’re still technically contenders despite everything.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Moar size...

Apparently it's not only HF posters that fall for that silly & misguided perception.

Will be interesting to see if they make a swap or prefer to stick with the big guy that handles the puck like a grenade
Is size really the only attribute that some HF posters are after? I have yet to read anyone fitting that very narrow characterization you have brought up in several posts now.

What is wrong with valuing size where the choice is between two players with similar profiles within the same tier, for instance? Should they disregard the “moar size” guy and opt for the 5’9 guy instead?

There is a reason that the “moar size” label is “silly and misguided” — it absolutely is cause no one fits that description.

Once again, size is just one attribute among others that teams are mindful of when roster building, to optimize their asset mix. No one is advocating choosing size as the principal determining factor or to disregard or downplay skill. I’m at a loss.
:surrender

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Is size really the only attribute that some HF posters are after? I have yet to read anyone fitting that very narrow characterization you have brought up in several posts now.
Really?

There are at least two or three active threads in which several posters offer up poorly grounded assessments trying to rationalize why we can't or shouldn't select a guy like Catton, or sign/trade for player X using their size as their main point of argument.

I'll @ you next time I reply to one.

What is wrong with valuing size where the choice is between two players with similar profiles within the same tier, for instance? Should they disregard the “moar size” guy and opt for the 5’9 guy instead?
Nothing wrong with valuing anything. It's the opposite. Devaluing all other attributes that contribute to individual and team performance because of a simplified notion that a certain arbitrary size quota is necessary.

Opting for the more impactful performer should, imo, be the focus... Assuming that one prioritizes winning at the game if hockey as the objective.

There is a reason that the “moar size” label is “silly and misguided” — it absolutely is cause no one fits that description.
Well, "moar" isn't even a word, so thanks for pointing out the obvious 😂

When did you become so literal?

Once again, size is just one attribute among others that teams are mindful of when roster building, to optimize their asset mix. No one is advocating choosing size as the principal determining factor or to disregard or downplay skill. I’m at a loss.
Yes. Such nuance is what is lacking in some assessments... Of the narrow/single minded assessments thrown around, the argument for "size" as the reason for, or against, a given player is the most common I've seen around here since I started posting.

It's frankly odd that you haven't noticed that given how frequently you post & how long you've been around :dunno:

I don't think I ever said or implied that "everyone" is obsessed with size. That would be as silly a premise as suggesting that "no one" does.

I'm at a loss as well. Give it a week or two, check your @'s , and let's revisit your confusion, shall we?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Really?

There are at least two or three active threads in which several posters offer up poorly grounded assessments trying to rationalize why we can't or shouldn't select a guy like Catton, or sign/trade for player X using their size as their main point of argument.

I'll @ you next time I reply to one.

Nothing wrong with valuing anything. It's the opposite. Devaluing all other attributes that contribute to individual and team performance because of a simplified notion that a certain arbitrary size quota is necessary.

Opting for the more impactful performer should, imo, be the focus... Assuming that one prioritizes winning at the game if hockey as the objective.

Well, "moar" isn't even a word, so thanks for pointing out the obvious 😂

When did you become so literal?

Yes. Such nuance is what is lacking in some assessments... Of the narrow/single minded assessments thrown around, the argument for "size" as the reason for, or against, a given player is the most common I've seen around here since I started posting.

It's frankly odd that you haven't noticed that given how frequently you post & how long you've been around :dunno:

I don't think I ever said or implied that "everyone" is obsessed with size. That would be as silly a premise as suggesting that "no one" does.

I'm at a loss as well. Give it a week or two, check your @'s , and let's revisit your confusion, shall we?
“My” confusion? Now, I’ve seen it all. I’m confused about what exactly - the straw man arguments permeating your response?

No confusion whatsoever on this side, however, if you ask any of these alleged size proponents why they prefer one player over another, none of them will ever not look for skill in a player just because they would like for a potential draftee also to have size as an attribute among others they value. It’s a non-existent proposition.

Quite likely, there may be some other factor at play like the one about a player’s likelihood of realizing their projection or ability to transpose their minor league skills to the NHL or some other nuance or risk factor that is not being given sufficient weighting in your assessment of these posters. Perhaps in some cases, you may not have dug enough and asked them to further clarify their position?

If posters are making “poorly grounded assessments”, that happens all the time. Fans are not pro scouts but they’re not simpletons either who blindly follow a doctrine that is not the be-all and end-all of modern hockey and has not been since the days of bench clearing brawls, the wipeout and where every team featured multiple players proficient at executing staged fights.

Sure thing, @ someone and let them explain their stance, I’ll be darned if that individual only values size and nothing else.

By the way, I never said “everyone” is obsessed with size. The opening sentence of my prior post which you have quoted, clearly says that you were referring to “some HF posters”.

And then you come out and deny that you never said or implied that everyone is obsessed with size — well, guess what, never did I say nor imply that you said it was “everyone” either. You came up with a non-existent argument that you yourself attacked as “silly” when no one else but you has made it (pure straw man).

When I said that no one is a “moar” size proponent, I meant that no one wants size only for the sake of size. There have to be an assortment of attributes that a given player needs to have as a foundation, which, should all other elements of a player’s profile be reasonably similar or within the same tier, could lead to one player being preferred over another on account of a size differential. However, in both cases, both players would possess a minimum of foundational elements in their profiles.

I’ve only quoted “moar size” cause I’ve seen you use the coined term repeatedly. Thank you for pointing out that “moar” is not a word — jeez, can you be more obvious? Your “moar size” qualifier makes some people look like knuckle-dragging troglodytes, which conveniently supports this crusade you appear to be on.

If that amuses you, more power to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
“My” confusion? Now, I’ve seen it all. I’m confused about what exactly - the straw man arguments permeating your response?
:lol:

You perhaps forgot what you wrote?
I’m at a loss.

Generally, being lost = being confused about something

I'm at a loss, and therefore confused, as to what your issue is, and frankly have zero interest trying to find out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
:lol:

You perhaps forgot what you wrote?

Generally, being lost = being confused about something

I'm at a loss to what your issue is, and frankly have zero interest trying to find out.
Please stop with the condescending strawman definitions. You must be really running thin on substance to be engaging in that. I’ve been following your posts for a long time but the level of discourse you have stooped to, has me gladly moving on. Happens to the best of us, I suppose.

Good luck in your quest, whatever it might be. Enjoy littering your posts with straw men, at least you have been called out on them.

Your zero interest stance is mutual — dare I say it, you finally got one right!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Dallas vs NYR for the cup.
Not my personal choices, but at least I'll be able to cheer against NYR, who I'm disliking more and more these days. Freakin' Trouba is becoming my most hated player, and to make it worse a handful of NY minions on this board defend his every launched elbow. And then a few more seem mystified that Habs fans still hate Kreider. A seriously clued-out fanbase.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Not my personal choices, but at least I'll be able to cheer against NYR, who I'm disliking more and more these days. Freakin' Trouba is becoming my most hated player, and to make it worse a handful of NY minions on this board defend his every launched elbow. And then a few more seem mystified that Habs fans still hate Kreider. A seriously clued-out fanbase.
A Rangers win would be fun -- the Stanley Cup paraded down Broadway would be awesome. If Dallas won they'd have the parade in their parking lot like when Anaheim won.

Reactions: Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
A Rangers win would be fun -- the Stanley Cup paraded down Broadway would be awesome. If Dallas won they'd have the parade in their parking lot like when Anaheim won.
Meh... if Dallas wins they can rent Times Square and have a million tourists cheer the Cup parade... even if they don't know what's going on.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
So Hyman has 13 goals this playoffs and McDavid 4? We can totally get McDavid for Anderson. A no brainer. Edm gets karakter and we get some goals to get us TO the playoffs.
Dude... not Anderson.... they missed their opportunity with Jake Allen!! McDavid for Jake Allen, there you go Stanley Cup here it comes!!!! (on our side.....)

Reactions: The Real Timo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad