HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Askarov has no future in Nashville
I'm not even sure I understand the entire thing. Saros got the #1 starter spot I understand, but his backup is 32 years old Wedgewood (I don't even know who that is). It's easy to see Askarov pushing him to waivers and into the AHL. The other tender is Matt Murray, So what's the problem? Askarov gets the backup spot in the NHL and can play Halak to Price for another bridge deal, like 2 years. Why would his agent care that much and make a fuss about it?

Reactions: GrandBison

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm not even sure I understand the entire thing. Saros got the #1 starter spot I understand, but his backup is 32 years old Wedgewood (I don't even know who that is). It's easy to see Askarov pushing him to waivers and into the AHL. The other tender is Matt Murray, So what's the problem? Askarov gets the backup spot in the NHL and can play Halak to Price for another bridge deal, like 2 years. Why would his agent care that much and make a fuss about it?
After signing and committing to Saros for 8 years sends a message to Askarov.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Wedgewood was just signed to a 2 years contract this summer as a UFA. Can't really blame Askarov for thinking the backup job is set in stone for the next 2 years. Wedgewood is a vet with multiple years of experience as a backup and is generally well regarded in this role. Given all the money spent by Nashville this summer on vets it's very unlikely they'll use a green backup. I don't blame Askarov for wanting out.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Michael McNiven was stuck in the minors cause of Price too.
Actually McNiven was never able to establish himself as a number 1 in the AHL and neither in the ECHL. The goalies holding him back were Lindgren, Primeau, Sogaard, Adam Carlson, Brandon Halverson, Hrenak, Taylor Gauthier, Mike Bullion, Samu Perhonen.

Yes McNiven was a number 2, 3, 4 and even 5 behind all those guys. Price did not matter. Neither did the number 2 behind Price. McNiven was the number 3 goalie of Gap HC in France last year. Let that sink in ...

Jack Campbell got stuck behind Lehtonen
And he was eventually traded when he was 24. Are you blaming Askarov for wanting to avoid wasting his time? I mean Jack Capbell started his career he was 27. I'm all for the "let them rot in the AHL for 10 years gotta learn riiiiiispek" BS but a player with good AHL stats should not start his career at 27. Askarov should not even have to ask for a trade Nashville should do it without him having to ask he's clearly not in their plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeeto and Tyson

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Actually McNiven was never able to establish himself as a number 1 in the AHL and neither in the ECHL. The goalies holding him back were Lindgren, Primeau, Sogaard, Adam Carlson, Brandon Halverson, Hrenak, Taylor Gauthier, Mike Bullion, Samu Perhonen.

Yes McNiven was a number 2, 3, 4 and even 5 behind all those guys. Price did not matter. Neither did the number 2 behind Price. McNIven was the number 3 goalie of Gap HC in France last year. Let that sink in ...
He also asked for a trade. NHL goalie is not an easy position to get in, only 64 jobs available, and you also have to think that, like Price, some 1st goalies benefit. from a veteran backup. There is no levrage for rookie goalies to be picky.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
And he was eventually traded when he was 24. Are you blaming Askarov for wanting to avoid wasting his time? I mean Jack Capbell started his career he was 27. I'm all for the "let them rot in the AHL for 10 years gotta learn riiiiiispek" BS but a player with good AHL stats should not start his career at 27. Askarov should not even have to ask for a trade Nashville should do it without him having to ask he's clearly not in their plan.
That's why waivers exist. I still think Askarov is better developping in AHL than riding the bench in Nashville or elsewhere.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

SJ: hey if vegas finishes bottom 10 and our pick ends up being later than theirs, we'll give you ours instead

Nashville:

alright-jenniferlawrence.gif

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Preds have 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds and potentially an extra 4 million in cap space from the RyJo termination. All this while adding key players in free agency. Should be a fun team to watch.
Likely not for long as guys like Stamkos, Marchessault and ROR are at the age where a steep decline can happen any time. If they get just one season where all those 3 can still play at high level they are lucky.

Reactions: LaP

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
A bit less than I expected for Askarov, but the goalie market is always hard to predict. I have a feeling we could have beaten that offer pretty easy if we really wanted to. I guess HuGo feel comfortable enough with what they have in the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad