HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If I'm Kane for the Oilers, I go into hiding. Worried that someone was going to Nancy Kerrigan me lol
I read Kane is expected to undergo surgery

Also, Re: McDavid + Draisaitl

Reactions: Habs10Habs

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
We'll see how desperate Bowman actually gets, there's definitely a possibility he won't care too much about losing them. Time will tell I guess.
I think him overpaying for Barron/Harris/Struble makes more sense than giving up assets to keep players at expensive salaries.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Bergy right now

IMG_0450.gif

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
If the Oilers put Kane on LTIR and match Broberg they're at 977k in space with 11F/7D/2G, so they'd be able to make it work with one additional league min forward. They can't keep both without more LTIR or trading someone, going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Agreed. Tavares was a high-end UFA who any team would've coveted, including us. The problem wasn't Tavares the player, it was Tavares the contract standard. His salary set the scale for their other star forwards, who realized they were better than their captain and demanded to be paid more. The Leafs have been crippled by a wildly unbalanced cap structure ever since.

They would have been better off keeping kadri and using the savings on addressing the defense and/or goaltending.

Kadri kept getting suspended in toronto, but he was a very valuable peice in the Colorado cup win.

The opportunity cost of signing Tavares was the salary structure as you mentioned, and the lack of flexibility that it presented to address needs that were far larger than anything that they required at center at the time.

Combine the implicit and explicit cost, and it adds up to a very costly signing.

Reactions: Lshap

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Agreed. Tavares was a high-end UFA who any team would've coveted, including us. The problem wasn't Tavares the player, it was Tavares the contract standard. His salary set the scale for their other star forwards, who realized they were better than their captain and demanded to be paid more. The Leafs have been crippled by a wildly unbalanced cap structure ever since.
Disagree - Draisaitl RFA deal blew contracts for
F out of whack which is why GMs were furious w Edm.

The issue w Tavares signing was Make Beliefs strategy was flawed, those $ needed to be spent either on a #1 Dman or spread out in acquiring a top pairing D + starting G

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
You know, I don't see a ton of value in that trade from the Penguins side. Putting on my tin foil conspiracy hat, I'm wondering if teams are willing to help other teams screw the Oilers after the whole Bowman debacle. Pens essentially aided and abetted in them them tendering an offer sheet (something GMs aren't generally huge fans of). Pens could have gotten a tiny bit more value to help the Blues get their pick back, but it looks like they just helped them out for pretty much nothing.
I think the pens got fair value. essentially a 3rd for a 5th. Plus he got some goodwill from the Blues, when he needs a favor the Blues will be willing to help

Reactions: Shred

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I'd love it if Hughes could find a way to take advantage of this situation and bend them over a barrel, just to make the Oilers' troubles go full circle. Not saying it's realistic, would just find it funny.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Holloway doesnt impress me. Dont see him being much more than a 3rd liner at best. Just dont see the offense. Skates well, can play physical in the, i hit you but dont strike any fear in you type

Broberg id match just as defenseman have value if he progresses even into a 5 defenseman

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Holloway doesnt impress me. Dont see him being much more than a 3rd liner at best. Just dont see the offense. Skates well, can play physical in the, i hit you but dont strike any fear in you type

Broberg id match just as defenseman have value if he progresses even into a 5 defenseman
Absolutely nothing wrong with a 3rd liner of that calibre.
What's odd is that surely the Blues offered Edmonton a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick for each of these guys and could then sign them for less. Edmonton must have been really nieve to think this wouldn't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad