HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Tavares was the wrong guy at the wrong time. They did not really need another top centre (Matthews and 2x 30G man Kadri on a team friendly deal were enough) Dubas should have kept is powder dry until the big 3 were signed to extentions, and the Marleau contract expired. What he needed on the UFA market was a top pair D-man. Had he waited Pietrangelo became available. Had Toronto had any cap space there may have been others with the right PJs who would have tested the UFA market too.

Wrong guy at wrong time, I think other GMs in general and Hugo in particular have learned from what the Leafs did wrong.
How can you turn down a superstar UFA who says he wants to play for you though?

In theory it should’ve worked. Enough scoring to overcome your weaknesses. But they couldn’t have known how bad that core would play in the postseason.

Reactions: Lshap

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
How can you turn down a superstar UFA who says he wants to play for you though?

In theory it should’ve worked. Enough scoring to overcome your weaknesses. But they couldn’t have known how bad that core would play in the postseason.
As a fan its hard to turn him down. As a GM your job is to build a contending team not a collection of shiny individuals. In a Cap world you have to turn him down or trade one of the other 3 for a dman. I said that in July 1, 2018 when they signed him and I stand by it today.

When he signed JT, Kadri was coming of 2 consecutive 32G seasons and was signed for 4 more years at 4.5M. That was your no 2 centre, signing JT dropped Kadri down to 3rd line and his production suffered.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Tavares was the wrong guy at the wrong time. They did not really need another top centre (Matthews and 2x 30G man Kadri on a team friendly deal were enough) Dubas should have kept is powder dry until the big 3 were signed to extentions, and the Marleau contract expired. What he needed on the UFA market was a top pair D-man. Had he waited Pietrangelo became available. Had Toronto had any cap space there may have been others with the right PJs who would have tested the UFA market too.

Wrong guy at wrong time, I think other GMs in general and Hugo in particular have learned from what the Leafs did wrong.
That's a fair argument, but at the time, Tavares looked like the best player on that team. Marner and Nylander hadn't fully broken out; even Matthews hadn't reached 70 points. Hard to turn down one of the league's top Cs who grew up sleeping in Leafs bedsheets!

Could Dubas have convinced other players to take one for the team after he'd bought a shiny new toy for $11M? Don't know. Why didn't he trade one of his stars to acquire that badly needed defenseman? Don't know. I still think the principle was right – if you have an opportunity to land a top player, pounce. Dubas succeeded at talent acquisition, but he failed at team building.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Hughes is taking a risk and gambling on this core. That's the kind of bold direction a GM has to take. If he's right, we'll see the team improve under our young players and, thanks to those contracts, we'll have the cap flexibility to make trades and/or add a UFA. If everything goes wrong, the rebuild was wasted and we have to start again from scratch. No guarantees, but I won't blame a GM for aggressively pursuing a vision.
I don't think the rebuild is at risk of souring if he doesn't pick up depth this season. I just feel like it's a wasted season and doesn't reinforce the upward trajectory we've enjoyed the past three years. This upcoming season will impact the upcoming off-season which will impact the season after. I simply want to see the Habs be competitive and then tinker, rather than do the minimum and then be in a rush to win as the window closes.

Reactions: bsl and Habs10Habs

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Bahahahaha Matthews captain :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Blame tavares all you want , a few goals between the two purse brothers in the past 8 years and they completely change their fortune. Absolute losers the lot of them :laugh:

Clamped by Danault , ragdolled by Chiarot , yawn

Reactions: Twisted Sinister

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't think the rebuild is at risk of souring if he doesn't pick up depth this season. I just feel like it's a wasted season and doesn't reinforce the upward trajectory we've enjoyed the past three years. This upcoming season will impact the upcoming off-season which will impact the season after. I simply want to see the Habs be competitive and then tinker, rather than do the minimum and then be in a rush to win as the window closes.
I feel the same way, I just don't see a pressing need to kick things into gear now versus next year. Of course, that might be because I'm more optimistic about 'now'. I see our current group taking a step forward this season. However if there's no progress after 25/30 games, I reserve the right to delete this post and change my opinion.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Vasilevskiy : 9.5 M
Hellebuyck : 8.5 M
Sorokin : 8.2 M
Saros : 7.7 M

Is Swayman worth more than these four goalies?

He has career highs of 44 and 41 games played. He has yet to prove anything beyond a 1a/1b role as of yet. He was tied for 23rd in games started last season and 25th in games played and that was his busiest season. It is one thing to do it with consistent rest as Boston stuck to a strict rotation and is another thing to do it over 55+ games where all top starters are slotted. He also got to see more bottom feeders than most starters as he rotated with Ullmark regardless of who the opponent was whereas most teams almost exclusively let their back ups play against the sh*tters. He has also played for perhaps the best defensive team in hockey over the course of his career and that has to be factored into this as well.

So the answer is no, he absolutely does not deserve to be paid equal or more than goalies that have excelled at something that he has yet to be tested on. Let him prove that he can be a true number one over the full course of an NHL season as playing 55+ games primarily against the leagues better teams will be a big test for him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

It is extremely unlikely to be a risk to the rebuild or a wasted season imo if Hughes does not make another move.

I think all of us would agree that it would be nice to see the team take a step but much like last season which was a great developmental season despite not moving in the standings next season could very well be the same but I truly am not worried. This ridiculous narrative that Hughes didn't do anything therefore we are doomed is nauseating. We can easily point to most of the roster having clear opportunities to naturally improve and the addition of Dach to the lineup could be game changing if he picks up where he left off.

And....I don't even understand what all the panic is about as people are acting like the trade deadline just passed for the 2024-25 season lol. There is still tons of time to make a deal and all it will take are the predictable injuries that will hit other teams or Batman (insert fictional character) forbid we suffer injuries and we need to keep some of these players. The same goes for the regular season as even if we don't make a move before/during training camp there are always desperate teams looking for cheap solutions such as talented young dmen to fill in for injured starters.

If we have learned anything about Hughes and Gorton is that they are much smarter and more patient than the members of this board so let's just take a breath and let this unfold.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
As a fan its hard to turn him down. As a GM your job is to build a contending team not a collection of shiny individuals. In a Cap world you have to turn him down or trade one of the other 3 for a dman. I said that in July 1, 2018 when they signed him and I stand by it today.

When he signed JT, Kadri was coming of 2 consecutive 32G seasons and was signed for 4 more years at 4.5M. That was your no 2 centre, signing JT dropped Kadri down to 3rd line and his production suffered.
What can I say? It was the wrong move. :laugh: I’d have made it but it was the wrong move.

Reactions: CDN24

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Try not to scratch your heads too hard, but WTF is this trade in the middle of August?

The math is certainly in Pittsburgh's favour, clearly St.L is formulating a plan for the 2025 draft. Or.......is there a trade or the unlikelihood of an offer sheet coming as they did not have a 2025 2nd round pick. Maybe they are looking to pry Holloway or Broberg out of Edmonton as trading for a 2nd in 2025 at least provides that leverage.

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The math is certainly in Pittsburgh's favour, clearly St.L is formulating a plan for the 2025 draft. Or.......is there a trade or the unlikelihood of an offer sheet coming as they did not have a 2025 2nd round pick. Maybe they are looking to pry Holloway or Broberg out of Edmonton as trading for a 2nd in 2025 at least provides that leverage.

That's exactly what they did as posted by myself and @red devil just above. Blues offer sheeted both Broberg and Holloway.

• Wow
Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad