HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
You just about never see an hostile offer, let alone two at the same time :amazed: Real agressive from the Blues. The Oilers are in a pretty bad position already, it's definitely going to cause a few problems. Real curious to see how Bowman handles it.
2 year contracts are strategic too. Oilers have to extend Draisaitel and bouchard next year. I don't think Oilers can match both.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Oilers are $341K over the cap now. So they are in cap trouble already, even if they only match one of the two. Obviously in the off-season, they can go 10% over the cap, but they'd have about 2 months to become cap compliant. They're already vulnerable in trades to simply create space.

And if they match one of the two or even both, they will become even more vulnerable. I believe that even if they place Kane on off-season LTIR, they will only create enough space for one of the two. But they'd still need to create room because when Evander Kane gets back, they won't have room as things stand now.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
2 year contracts are strategic too. Oilers have to extend Draisaitel and bouchard next year. I don't think Oilers can match both.

My guess is that Broberg is the one St. Louis truly wants, which is why his cap hit is higher. I think Holloway is the distraction so Oilers are forced to match his offer sheet, leaving Blues getting the one they truly want.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Oilers will need to dump one of Kulak/Ceci to gain the cap space, but we are already crowded at defense.
I might actually be open to it, if they're so desperate they have to throw a high pick/prospect to get it done. Ceci is on the last year of his contract and at least he's a RD, he'd be the guy to take. He's pretty bad, but I can deal with him until the deadline for a first rounder plus whatever we could get at the deadline :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I might actually be open to it, if they're so desperate they have to throw a high pick/prospect to get it done. Ceci is on the last year of his contract and at least he's a RD, he'd be the guy to take. He's pretty bad, but I can deal with him until the deadline for a first rounder plus whatever we could get at the deadline :naughty:
I can't see why the Oilers would give up valuable picks/prospects just to keep Broberg and/or Holloway at inflated contracts. Might as well use those assets on someone else.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I'd do it if Savoie is included in the deal. :)

They'll probably just take the picks anyways

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Does Hughes ask or a 2026+ to take Ceci off of their hands for 1 season....he simply becomes the next #7D in Kovacevic's role or we waive him and send him to Laval?

Reactions: Runner77

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
which is why they had to reaquire the pick from pittsburgh

You know, I don't see a ton of value in that trade from the Penguins side. Putting on my tin foil conspiracy hat, I'm wondering if teams are willing to help other teams screw the Oilers after the whole Bowman debacle. Pens essentially aided and abetted in them them tendering an offer sheet (something GMs aren't generally huge fans of). Pens could have gotten a tiny bit more value to help the Blues get their pick back, but it looks like they just helped them out for pretty much nothing.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I can't see why the Oilers would give up valuable picks/prospects just to keep Broberg and/or Holloway at inflated contracts. Might as well use those assets on someone else.
We'll see how desperate Bowman actually gets, there's definitely a possibility he won't care too much about losing them. Time will tell I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad