HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Galchenyuk kept surfing on a couple of decent seasons he had with the Canadiens like the one where he scored 30 goals.

Zadina does not even have a single season that comes anywhere close. He never hit 30 points in a season even on weaker teams that have given him opportunities. A more capable player in Daniel Sprong just signed a small contract so that's a bad look for Zadina.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
There are no current UFA's that should be acquired at the expense of taking a slot from a young player.

I'm happy if we stand pat... But also wouldnt be opposed to a vet addition at W and/or RD on a 1-yr deal that pushes Roy/Strubble to AHL to start the season.

Adds some injury depth buffer and some additional trade deadline pieces.

JVR or Patches up front
Schultz or Klingberg at RD

Slaf Suzuki CC
Newhook Dach JVR
Armia Evans RHP
Anderson Dvorak Gally
Pez

(Roy, Heineman, Farrell, ABB injury call ups)

Matheson Guhle
Xhekaj Savard
Harris Klingberg
Barron

(Hutson, Strubble, Mailloux, RB injury call ups)

Monty
Primeau

JVR, Dvorak, Klingberg, Armia, Savard, Evans... All potential deadline assets to move if we aren't firmly sitting in WC spot and/or if young player forces issue to be NHL regular.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm happy if we stand pat... But also wouldnt be opposed to a vet addition at W and/or RD on a 1-yr deal that pushes Roy/Strubble to AHL to start the season.

Adds some injury depth buffer and some additional trade deadline pieces.

JVR or Patches up front
Schultz or Klingberg at RD

Slaf Suzuki CC
Newhook Dach JVR
Armia Evans RHP
Anderson Dvorak Gally
Pez

(Roy, Heineman, Farrell, ABB injury call ups)

Matheson Guhle
Xhekaj Savard
Harris Klingberg
Barron

(Hutson, Strubble, Mailloux, RB injury call ups)

Monty
Primeau

JVR, Dvorak, Klingberg, Armia, Savard, Evans... All potential deadline assets to move if we aren't firmly sitting in WC spot and/or if young player forces issue to be NHL regular.
Where’s Roy?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Where’s Roy?
"that pushes Roy, Strubble to start the season in the AHL"

"(Roy, Heineman, Farrell, ABB injury call ups)"

& as they showed last year, Habs won't blink at starting a vet like Armia (Anderson?) in the AHL if in preseason it's clear they are outplayed by younger players.

I hope Roy comes into camp and makes it impossible not to keep him in the NHL, but I also don't think it will hurt him to get another 20+ games in a top line role in the A... Injuries are a given, so he'd be back up in no time.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Canucks sign Sprong to a 1 year deal...check him off your list

1002797243-photo-u1602111017

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Galchenyuk averaged 45 pts a year in his under 25 years. He was a good PP player, too and could play all 3 forward positions. Zadina's best season is 24 points. He's a total bust.

Galchenyuk went down hill after his lifestyle, (drinking, drugs, partying) caught up to him. He was a decent secondary offensive player before all that. He turned into another Chris Higgins, although with even more problems.

Zadina never had it to lose it. He just sucks.
Well, even though we present things differently, in the end we still agree about zadina :) I wouln't even try a PTO.

Galchenyuk, he went indeed downhill for 3-4 seasons but that guy was still getting contracts even though his reputation was already bad. Always baffled me.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Well, even though we present things differently, in the end we still agree about zadina :) I wouln't even try a PTO.

Galchenyuk, he went indeed downhill for 3-4 seasons but that guy was still getting contracts even though his reputation was already bad. Always baffled me.
I have a bad memory for this kind on thing , but can someone tell me what was the last quality PTO that we had at camp ? I dont recal any making the team.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

Cdn teams can use the treaty w heavy bonus structure to an unbelievable advantage when targeting American resident players (6-months + 1-day) physically outside of Canada per calendar year.

View attachment 896530

Tavares tried to screw the system and resided in Canada too many days / year…

This could set an interesting precedent, the big issue is the signing bonuses as that affects every non cdn resident who has them. It seems the teams players may be already structuring contracts differently with less or no bonus money in the outer years. Matthews is the only recent contract I can find where the player is an American and all but the league minimum is paid as bonus throughout. Other recent ones like Caulfield and Hellybuck only have bonus in the 1st 2 years. I assume the goal is to treat those as a true signing bonus not contingent on the player actually playing. Little risk of retirement as 2nd pmt is paid usually within a year + a day ( July 1 of yr 2). I suspect the contract is worded such that Caulfield and hellybucyk get that bonus whether they play or not.

The other interesting part the article raises is the use of RCAs by non residents that the CRA is going after (the former jays) The RCA is the vehicle that Canadian players on Canadian teams are using to lower their taxes. Think Marner if we continue to use the leafs example. The article here does not explain them very well, they work a bit like a super RRSP/REER under Canadian tax. A player can put a portion of their salary (not more than 50%) in an RCA and defer tax just like you and I can with a RRSP/REER. Take a Canadian like Suzuki playing for the habs, we will up his salary to a even 10M to make the math easy. He can put 5M in a RCA and not pay tax on it today. he is only taxed on the other 5M at lets say 50% roughly so paying 2.5M in tax, 2.5M in his pocket after tax and 5M in the RCA invested earning a tax deferred return. In retirement he draws money form the RCA and is taxed same as we are when we take money from our RRSP. The assumption is he is in a lower tax bracket and/or he is living in a lower tax jurisdiction by then. He could move to FLa in retirement and withdraw his money there. he would pay a 15% withholding in Canada and be taxed at 37% in the US getting credit for the 15% he pd in canada so net 37%. Taken to the extreme he could move to Monaco with no tax and pay just a 25% withholding in Canada (with holding rate is generally 25% but Canada US tax treaty reduces to 15%).

CRA is going after the US residents on the jays that were using RCA to reduce their tax burden in Canada and pull it out at US rates after moving home. Notice how they are not going after any Raptors, the NBA banned the use of the RCA as it was giving the raptors too much of an advantage.

The other benefit of the RCA is tax deferred growth, back to the Suzuki example he has 5M to invest, if he did not use an RCA and paid the tax 1st then invested he would only have 2.5M to invest.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
This could set an interesting precedent, the big issue is the signing bonuses as that affects every non cdn resident who has them. It seems the teams players may be already structuring contracts differently with less or no bonus money in the outer years. Matthews is the only recent contract I can find where the player is an American and all but the league minimum is paid as bonus throughout. Other recent ones like Caulfield and Hellybuck only have bonus in the 1st 2 years. I assume the goal is to treat those as a true signing bonus not contingent on the player actually playing. Little risk of retirement as 2nd pmt is paid usually within a year + a day ( July 1 of yr 2). I suspect the contract is worded such that Caulfield and hellybucyk get that bonus whether they play or not.
Heavy bonus contracts are ideal state for American resident players - Matthews knows he will never physically spend 6-months + 1-day on Cdn soil and his home residence is low tax state Az - most importantly no US team would’ve been able to provide as much take home as a Cdn team due to bonus structure

That’s why he re-signed, and it’s his 2nd straight deal w over 90% paid out via bonus.

Tavares f*cked up because he thought he could get away w bonus contract while living year round on Cdn soil. Revenue Canada doesn’t f*ck around…

It’s also why the Habs have had more success attracting American UFAs vs Cdn ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad