HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
He's one of the best players in the world, he should bet on himself and find the best fit across the NHL. There are significantly better-run organizations across hockey. He could join the DAL, VGK, TBL, FLA, etc. Staying with EDM, after how much they've squandered and wasted, and trusting his career to Stan Bowman... very foolish. And that is to say nothing about the town of Edmonton and all its problems itself.

Occasionally harsh winters and?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Occasionally harsh winters and?
Weather, crime, lack of cultural offerings, access (to other destinations). It's far from the oceans, it's quite north, it has poor access to major metropolitan areas... There's a reason why EDM and WPG are on many NTC lists.

The big issue is EDM the franchise, not Edmonton the city. The city isn't to my tastes (though once you've lived in MTL, very few cities stack up) but the franchise has not earned the benefit of the doubt. I don't know why someone's knickers are in a bunch over the comment but I stick by it: it's foolish of Draisaitl to trust the remainder of his career in the hands of the Edmonton Oilers. I don't think EDM, even with their new GM, has earned much goodwill in terms of team-building quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real Timo

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Can you explain your rational for this comparison in this structure?
Just a comparison I do for myself. A starting point where rosters are at offensively to begin a season, especially after all the movement in free agency. Like above, it may have some value for some teams and virtually none for others. Young players seem to be an X factor, plus or minus. The far column is what actually happened to go back and compare.

Ran some preliminary #'s for current rosters and the Central could now be the strongest division offensively. Nashville should be an interesting team to follow.

Reactions: ReHabs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Just a comparison I do for myself. A starting point where rosters are at offensively to begin a season, especially after all the movement in free agency. Like above, it may have some value for some teams and virtually none for others. Young players seem to be an X factor, plus or minus. The far column is what actually happened to go back and compare.

Ran some preliminary #'s for current rosters and the Central could now be the strongest division offensively. Nashville should be an interesting team to follow.
So you tallied the goals scored of the opening day roster (from the season before) at the start of the 23-24 season, and you compared it to the final GF of that team at the end of the same 23-24 season? It's an interesting exercise, I just didn't understand your inputs at first. Thanks for explianing.

You could note UFAs and see if there is any correlation there -- does signing top UFAs correlate to outperforming (improving) your GF? Unlike rookies, who can be called up at any time and sometimes miss the opening day roster, opening day rosters usually have the UFAs on them so it's a good factor to evaluate. Hmm what else -- yes rookies, or young players (presence of u25s, let's say) -- does a team with many u25s on its roster outperform in terms of GF?

Reactions: Chili

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
So you tallied the goals scored of the opening day roster (from the season before) at the start of the 23-24 season, and you compared it to the final GF of that team at the end of the same 23-24 season? It's an interesting exercise, I just didn't understand your inputs at first. Thanks for explianing.

You could note UFAs and see if there is any correlation there -- does signing top UFAs correlate to outperforming (improving) your GF? Unlike rookies, who can be called up at any time and sometimes miss the opening day roster, opening day rosters usually have the UFAs on them so it's a good factor to evaluate. Hmm what else -- yes rookies, or young players (presence of u25s, let's say) -- does a team with many u25s on its roster outperform in terms of GF?
Don't know if I have seen that type of evaluation. What I do is pretty basic. There are a number of interesting threads on the Numbers forum if it interests you.

The example of Corey Perry comes to mind. We got to see his influence on a team firsthand here in 2020-21. i.e. it goes beyond the numbers. Last summer, Nashville signed two former Cup winners Ryan O'Reilly and Luke Schenn and I believe they had a significant impact on that team getting back to the playoffs. As far as young players, believe they need good leaders, Buffalo especially looks like they could use a few with all that young talent.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Hugues has been one of the most patient and opportunistic GMs I have seen. It’s provided tremendous value already, just considering those 2 first rounders we got for Monahan, and everything else being icing on the cake.

I have complete confidence in his strategy and ability to execute it and couldn’t be happier that irrational panic moves aren’t his go to start to every off season.

Matching outfits are a nice touch. 95% sure Drai isn’t leaving Edmonton now.

Reactions: quarter450

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Hugues has been one of the most patient and opportunistic GMs I have seen. It’s provided tremendous value already, just considering those 2 first rounders we got for Monahan, and everything else being icing on the cake.

I have complete confidence in his strategy and ability to execute it and couldn’t be happier that irrational panic moves aren’t his go to start to every off season.

Matching outfits are a nice touch. 95% sure Drai isn’t leaving Edmonton now.
I can’t believe it. Many GM were complaining about they had zero cap space availlable. They needed to gave asset to clear some contracts. And, July 1st arrived and they spent all the cap space availlable within 5 minutes. Are they dumb??
Stephenson contracts, edmundson, skje… what the hell

Reactions: HabsQC

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Mostly fat guys, who are embarrased to show off their "Man boobs" ;)
Asterix_v5_fat_obelix.jpeg

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I can’t believe it. Many GM were complaining about they had zero cap space availlable. They needed to gave asset to clear some contracts. And, July 1st arrived and they spent all the cap space availlable within 5 minutes. Are they dumb??
Stephenson contracts, edmundson, skje… what the hell
Not really…. GMs have bosses who need to run a business and want to see profit$ / concerned about other strategic impacts.

Seattle is expected to be awarded an NBA franchise shortly and their owners are very concerned Kraken will be forgotten in the market - they need to establish themselves in the market immediately by having a competitive team.

Preds - consortium sees the writing on the wall, it’s an old team and they need to win after a few years of nothing or they’ll lose all the traction they’ve gained over last 10-years

Charles Bronfman used to say, one playoff run can buy you 5-years of goodwill in a non diehard market

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
the GM coming to get you at the airport is a pretty cool power move.

- respect: i'll publicly go out of my way to pick you up, I'll even carry your sticks in the photo-op
- magnifying glass: we've got some very high expectations of you, don't **** it up
Nah
Michou picking up Phil was a power move. :sarcasm:
Where is Torts in all this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad