HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024-2025 season

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Watching the game as I have breakfast and Matthews has been shit defensively. No idea where Leafs fan get the idea that he's an elite defender.
He lEd iN TAkeAwAYs

I thought McDavid was much better defensively last year and 3rd vote should've went to him. He's really rounded his game. He's positioned well and contrarily to Matthews, is a killer with his first pass. That's why players voted him 2nd best player in his own zone, in a league wide poll, and the category was naturally dominated by dmen. If McDavid snags the puck, it can quickly go at the other end.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He lEd iN TAkeAwAYs

I thought McDavid was much better defensively last year and 3rd vote should've went to him. He's really rounded his game. He's positioned well and contrarily to Matthews, is a killer with his first pass. That's why players voted him 2nd best player in his own zone, in a league wide poll, and the category was naturally dominated by dmen. If McDavid snags the puck, it can quickly go at the other end.

100% agreed.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Its crazy how Leafs fans try to pin everything on Marner for 3 years but AM34 is literally a win nothing loser without a heart :(.
Well, Marner lost his stick and was missing in action - again - on a game winning goal. The bigger the moment the more he shrinks from it. If I were a Leaf fan I’d lose my mind with that guy. No heart whatsoever.

And it was awesome watching Matthews screw up that play too. Leafs… man.

Reactions: Nashy

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
Well, Marner lost his stick and was missing in action - again - on a game winning goal. The bigger the moment the more he shrinks from it. If I were a Leaf fan I’d lose my mind with that guy. No heart whatsoever.

And it was awesome watching Matthews screw up that play too. Leafs… man.
Also, Berube played the shit out Marner and Matthews....he owns some of that loss. I think Marner played over 26 minutes....way too much.

Something's gonna give this year....can't wait.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
He can sure put the puck in the net. However, will he be able to prevent other teams from outscoring him while he is on the ice, that's the question.
Early days. But that part is teachable and it's hard to tell right now since his team is such a dumpster fire. But, the skill is obvious and sorely lacking in a lot of teams.

To get him at 7th overall is a scandal. An absolute theft of epic proportions.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Early days. But that part is teachable and it's hard to tell right now since his team is such a dumpster fire. But, the skill is obvious and sorely lacking in a lot of teams.

To get him at 7th overall is a scandal. An absolute theft of epic proportions.
Why do people keep posting this? It is highly likely he told teams 2-6 he would complete his KHL contract if they picked him. Now Minnesota waited years for Kaprizov but he was far more guaranteed than Michkov and a 5th round pick. GM's of teams 2-4 weren't going to wait 3 years and risk their jobs. Montreal wasn't going to draft a guy with no character. Arizona/Utah were already 4-5 years into a rebuild, They weren't waiting 3 years.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Why do people keep posting this? It is highly likely he told teams 2-6 he would complete his KHL contract if they picked him. Now Minnesota waited years for Kaprizov but he was far more guaranteed than Michkov and a 5th round pick. GM's of teams 2-4 weren't going to wait 3 years and risk their jobs. Montreal wasn't going to draft a guy with no character. Arizona/Utah were already 4-5 years into a rebuild, They weren't waiting 3 years.
Pretty sure he flat out told Arizona he wouldn’t play with them during interviews. It sounds like he was the one interviewing teams when the draft was going on which would turn off teams. We don’t know what happened when he was talking to us but something turned Hughes away from him and I doubt it had anything to do with talent.

Reactions: Andrei79

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
Why do people keep posting what you just said? I refuse to believe any player, especially one that has no links to Philadelphia of all places, engineered himself into a move to Philly. It's not exactly a "hot" market. No player has ever done it before not sure why everyone so readily believes it for these Michkov rumors. It's just GM's covering their asses from angry fans.

Even if it's true, Michkov is clearly worth waiting a couple years for. Not like Reinbacher is going to be ready for us anytime soon either. The "no character" allegations are a lot more likely (from a GM POV, I personally think it's ridiculous) than Michkov being desperate to play for Philly.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Pretty sure he flat out told Arizona he wouldn’t play with them during interviews. It sounds like he was the one interviewing teams when the draft was going on which would turn off teams. We don’t know what happened when he was talking to us but something turned Hughes away from him and I doubt it had anything to do with talent.

Seems like he did the same with Washington. One of their scouts, Nikolishin, had scathing remarks against him. His agent then mentioned not long after the draft that Michkov didn't want to be drafted by either Washington or Arizona. In all my years following the draft, I don't remember an agent making that kind of statement. It was really strange. At the 5 year contract he signed with SKA and he had all of the leverage to do whatever he wanted at the draft interviews. He was my pick as his hockey IQ on offense is incredible, but I find the position to draft him as a fan to be a very easy one. It was likely a much more complicated one as an actual professional, which is why 5 teams didn't pick him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad