OT: Our PDO sucks. Let's lighten the mood! Free Slurpees & Bagel Brawls

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
I loved The Great and Secret Show. The second book of the trilogy, Everville, was pretty good but not as great as the first. And that was written 24 years ago, still waiting for the last book of the trilogy haha

I also remember really liking his Abarat series when I was younger, which is a more "young adult" series. Recently I've tried to get into Imajica on a few separate occasions but it hasn't grabbed me like TG&SS did.

I haven't read the Abarat series , and I really doubt we will ever get the third book of the arts.
Everville was good, but I agree nowhere near the Great and Secret Show.

I know there was supposed to be a Weaveworld tv series in the works, but I haven't heard anything on it in a few years, so it probably got scrapped.
with all these networks doing mini series and this Stephen King obsession, you'd think someone would tap into some of these Clive Barker stories, he has so much great material.

Reactions: Zeeker

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Unpopular opinion, but Breaking Bad is one of the most overrated shows in television history and had one of the worst endings I've ever seen. Better Call Saul is a superior show.

Flame away.

I have an even more unpopular opinion. GOT is trash. I couldn't get through 6 episodes. Bored me to tears.

Reactions: majormet

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
I have an even more unpopular opinion. GOT is trash. I couldn't get through 6 episodes. Bored me to tears.
This isn't as controversial as not liking Breaking Bad. While Breaking Bad is the rare show that's both very popular and critically regarded as one of the best of all time, GoT is very popular but not as well regarded critically (most people still think it's a good to very good show, but nowhere near the quality of a show like Breaking Bad).

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
This isn't as controversial as not liking Breaking Bad. While Breaking Bad is the rare show that's both very popular and critically regarded as one of the best of all time, GoT is very popular but not as well regarded critically (most people still think it's a good to very good show, but nowhere near the quality of a show like Breaking Bad).

I have heard so many times how GOT blows BB away....greatest show ever. I just don't get it....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
No bad talk about Stranger Things, if that doesn't bring you back to your childhood and Goonies vs. E.T. type of movies then you have a cold dead heart and deserve to be an Islander's fan :mad:

I only saw the first episode, but the entire show felt like "yeah, I've seen this 8,000 times before."

I think Game of Thrones is pretty good, but I know some people who don't like it. Usually it's the fantasy element that turns people off though.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Pretty much all I watch on TV is sports and nature shows. I committed to 24 back in the day and saw every single minute of every season. Loved it, but now I want any story you're going to tell wrapped up in 3 hours or less total. There isn't one great show on TV that couldn't be told even more brutally honest in a movie...And wrapped up in shorter time.

Imagine Breaking Bad, Homeland, Lost, or any other show on TV told as a movie. Drives me crazy when a show gets renewed and then they go on to have the characters just do more wilder and wilder stuff, because they didn't originally have a storyline for that season. It's my "Melrose Place" theory...That if you keep a TV show on long enough eventually everyone will sleep with everyone.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Pretty much all I watch on TV is sports and nature shows. I committed to 24 back in the day and saw every single minute of every season. Loved it, but now I want any story you're going to tell wrapped up in 3 hours or less total. There isn't one great show on TV that couldn't be told even more brutally honest in a movie...And wrapped up in shorter time.

Imagine Breaking Bad, Homeland, Lost, or any other show on TV told as a movie. Drives me crazy when a show gets renewed and then they go on to have the characters just do more wilder and wilder stuff, because they didn't originally have a storyline for that season. It's my "Melrose Place" theory...That if you keep a TV show on long enough eventually everyone will sleep with everyone.
As someone who loves watching tv shows, I agree with you in one respect: a lot of shows suffer from running way too long beyond their natural endpoint because they are successful in the ratings department. Shows like Dexter and Homeland are the poster children for this, they would have been a lot better regarded if they ran for 4 seasons and 1 season respectively.

That said, I could never imagine nor would I ever want shows like Breaking Bad and Lost (no matter how frustrating the latter could get) to be movies instead of shows. When a TV series is great, there's nothing like following it week to week and discussing the previous episode with others, coming up with fan theories, etc.

Then again, I've always loved the idea of a continuing story, which is why Ive always preferred book series over standalone novels.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I have heard so many times how GOT blows BB away....greatest show ever. I just don't get it....

BB is the standard which all others follow. Right Tuco?

c819aa848345a29004bc28c71d39a537.jpg

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
As someone who loves watching tv shows, I agree with you in one respect: a lot of shows suffer from running way too long beyond their natural endpoint because they are successful in the ratings department. Shows like Dexter and Homeland are the poster children for this, they would have been a lot better regarded if they ran for 4 seasons and 1 season respectively.

That said, I could never imagine nor would I ever want shows like Breaking Bad and Lost (no matter how frustrating the latter could get) to be movies instead of shows. When a TV series is great, there's nothing like following it week to week and discussing the previous episode with others, coming up with fan theories, etc.

Then again, I've always loved the idea of a continuing story, which is why Ive always preferred book series over standalone novels.

Respect. Sometimes a great show is worth it. Somehow 24 managed to use the TV medium to it's fullest and pushed the envelope which made it excited. I've never seen a show go "quicker." You watched an hour and it felt like 15 minutes.

A show like Lost felt like exhibit A for how bad the TV format can be. As I understand it they had like 2-3 seasons mapped out and when it got good ratings and ABC renewed it they needed to come up with new ideas. So think about that...The story they were telling was not motivated by the story itself, but by keeping ratings and I think any product will lose itself when it doesn't keep the product itself at the forefront. Lost would've been a superb movie as no one can tell me that superb writer couldn't have made an awesome story fit under 3 hours.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Might as well discuss the gorilla in the room...

JJ Abrams

Anyone else think he's literally the most overrated entertainer out there? Not even sure how he got such a halo around him, but everything he does is so "soft." No real teeth in anything. Everything is just "ok." Like I can watch Mission Impossible 3, but is it really good? No it's not.

But the pinnacle of his ineptitude is what Abrams did with Star Wars - The Force Awakens. People are addicted to Star Wars so most people I speak with cannot discuss it objectively, but Force Awakens was embarrassing to me. Abrams literally copied A New Hope, put less interesting characters in it, and the ones we loved for decades he made us feel 'meh' about them. I can't even watch Force Awakens when it comes on cable. Just so so bad. Literally no inventiveness in that story and I'm supposed to have my jaw hit the floor simply because they find Luke at the end and do a sweeping arial shot of him? Get over yourself.

Conversely I thought Rogue One was awesome. The story was motivated by something - Answering the age-old question of why the Death Star was so easy to blow up in A New Home. An excellent question to address and the story then always had a motivation to it. And the last 15 minutes were unbelievably good the way they connected it to A New Hope. I literally cannot even relate to someone who doesn't think that Rogue One wasn't far superior to Force Awakens.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

JJ Abrams

Anyone else think he's literally the most overrated entertainer out there? Not even sure how he got such a halo around him, but everything he does is so "soft." No real teeth in anything. Everything is just "ok." Like I can watch Mission Impossible 3, but is it really good? No it's not.

But the pinnacle of his ineptitude is what Abrams did with Star Wars - The Force Awakens. People are addicted to Star Wars so most people I speak with cannot discuss it objectively, but Force Awakens was embarrassing to me. Abrams literally copied A New Hope, put less interesting characters in it, and the ones we loved for decades he made us feel 'meh' about them. I can't even watch Force Awakens when it comes on cable. Just so so bad. Literally no inventiveness in that story and I'm supposed to have my jaw hit the floor simply because they find Luke at the end and do a sweeping arial shot of him? Get over yourself.

Conversely I thought Rogue One was awesome. The story was motivated by something - Answering the age-old question of why the Death Star was so easy to blow up in A New Home. An excellent question to address and the story then always had a motivation to it. And the last 15 minutes were unbelievably good the way they connected it to A New Hope. I literally cannot even relate to someone who doesn't think that Rogue One wasn't far superior to Force Awakens.

I agree with all of this. And the last Jedi was 20x worse that force awakens. Rogue 1 was excellent

Reactions: periferal

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I agree with all of this. And the last Jedi was 20x worse that force awakens. Rogue 1 was excellent

Rogue One was the best out of the new batch of movies. There are some GoT style Season 6 type call backs to Season 1 that adds to R1.

One of my favorite TV series ever was Friday Night Lights, leaning more towards the original cast in the first couple of seasons. The ratings sucked, but I thought it was so well done. Great acting and I like Peter Berg's directing style. I remember him as Dex in Aspen Extreme. Haha.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I didn't love the new Star Wars, I actually thought Force Awakens was better. The sequels are too much Michael Bay shit and not a powerful enough storyline.

Rogue One was ****ing awesome.

Solo looks like it'll be very hit or miss. Donald Glover playing Lando gets me amped.

tenor.gif

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anyone watch Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee? They just put it on Netflix. I've only watched the first four or five episodes but it's a nice show. Very genuine.

I've seen a few episodes, it's entertaining for the most part. My wife binged it for two straight days after it came to Netflix.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

JJ Abrams

He is vastly overrated

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta

I literally didn't literally care for the Force literally Awakens either.

Reactions: nyisles

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I only saw the first episode, but the entire show felt like "yeah, I've seen this 8,000 times before."

I think Game of Thrones is pretty good, but I know some people who don't like it. Usually it's the fantasy element that turns people off though.

Ahh, well there ya go. You are commenting with little information. If I only judged a series on the first show there would be a lot of good ones I would have abandoned. I give them three episodes before I decide. I never would have watched Black Mirror if I had judged it off the preposterous first episode. The rest were way better, the pilot was the worst one of the bunch.

Game of Thrones is something I've seen 100000 times. There was Spartacus: Blood and Sand that was the same damn thing but done way better.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

JJ Abrams

He is a love/hate producer. Loved Fringe, and a few others, hated a lot too.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ahh, well there ya go. You are commenting with little information. If I only judged a series on the first show there would be a lot of good ones I would have abandoned. I give them three episodes before I decide. I never would have watched Black Mirror if I had judged it off the preposterous first episode. The rest were way better, the pilot was the worst one of the bunch.

Game of Thrones is something I've seen 100000 times. There was Spartacus: Blood and Sand that was the same damn thing but done way better.
I don't believe in giving shows more than an episode to see if I like it. If it doesn't hook me right away I don't want to stick around and see if it improves. It's actually an issue with the Netflix style releases, they assume you'll binge and use the first episode as such and won't put too much in it.

I liked Spartacus, but I don't think it's at all like game of thrones.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

I gave up on Black Mirror on the pilot with the PM and the pig... so is that the stinker episode?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't believe in giving shows more than an episode to see if I like it. If it doesn't hook me right away I don't want to stick around and see if it improves. It's actually an issue with the Netflix style releases, they assume you'll binge and use the first episode as such and won't put too much in it.

I liked Spartacus, but I don't think it's at all like game of thrones.

You are right, after seeing one episode for the most part you can tell where the orientation is coming from. There are gimmick shows that reel you in beyond the first episode and then by the 2nd season the gimmick is over and the show becomes like a CSI show or weekly political show.. one of the best examples was Designated Survivor, such a great first season but the gimmick of the unexpected president wears off.

Then there are shows that you can tell by the dialogue are not well written and rely on cheap jokes, vulgarity or limited range... a show like the Patriot on Amazon is like that.

A show that I loved the first season of was I'm Dying up here, they reel you in by just showing off the characters and at the end of the day it is the interaction of the characters around a plot that reels you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad