OT: Our PDO sucks. Let's lighten the mood! Free Slurpees & Bagel Brawls

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
True, But I'd put season one of TD to any individual season of BB. BB was soo good that Better Call Saul is a legitimate show in its own right. Love that show too.

Unpopular opinion, but Breaking Bad is one of the most overrated shows in television history and had one of the worst endings I've ever seen. Better Call Saul is a superior show.

Flame away.

Reactions: bigtim1988

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
True, But I'd put season one of TD to any individual season of BB. BB was soo good that Better Call Saul is a legitimate show in its own right. Love that show too.

True Detective season #1 was great, but really doesn't compare to Breaking Bad, as well as the acting and tension was on True Detective Season #1, the payoff at the end was not that satisfying

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Unpopular opinion, but Breaking Bad is one of the most overrated shows in television history and had one of the worst endings I've ever seen. Better Call Saul is a superior show.

Flame away.

Ouch... it is an unpopular opinion, but unlike hockey this all boils down to taste, the last 5 episodes of Breaking Bad were beyond amazing, as far as they payoff and the anticipation. Better Call Saul is fascinating and completely different, what makes Better Call Saul fall short of the mark is the amount of time wasted on Mike's character, long drawn out scenes that play on for too long... The legal portion of the show is great, and the Kim character is unique

Reactions: SteveH124

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Anyone here as into fantasy football as I am?

I play in a bunch of leagues and love playing. I loved the influx of rookies that came into the league this year and am looking to move my league from .5 PPR to 1 PPR next season. I am going to try and convince the rest of my leagues to do the same.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
I'm probably considered a big gamer compared to most people. Gave up console gaming when they came out with the new generation of systems though, couldn't justify the price for the games I played (really stuck with FPS games) and now I'm only playing PC games.

Currently playing:
Hearthstone
PUBG
CS GO
They Are Billions

Just bought Battalion 1944, having a hard time getting it to run smoothly but it seems like it might be a good game.
I have such a love/hate relationship with PUBG... I absolutely hated it before I learned where to drop, but now it's pretty entertaining actually. Still hoping to win a game, though... Been in the top 5 before. Just don't drop at the school unless you're ready to go from the jump.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Clive Barker is great, i wish he would’ve had more control over those awful hellraiser sequels.

Oh gosh yes. Growing up I was more into "horror" films, but Barker was special. Read The Damnation Game and was into more than anything I had read prior.

Reactions: Bexlyspeed

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I play in a bunch of leagues and love playing. I loved the influx of rookies that came into the league this year and am looking to move my league from .5 PPR to 1 PPR next season. I am going to try and convince the rest of my leagues to do the same.

Amen. I love it. I'm in 6 leagues. Combo of all types (redraft, keeper, acution, etc). Happy to chat anytime...

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Oh gosh yes. Growing up I was more into "horror" films, but Barker was special. Read The Damnation Game and was into more than anything I had read prior.

Damnation game Is a great book! Most of his stuff that I’ve read is good, I really liked the great and secret show and weaveworld.

I think his best works are in the books of blood, so many great stories in those collections.

Reactions: periferal

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Damnation game Is a great book! Most of his stuff that I’ve read is good, I really liked the great and secret show and weaveworld.

I think his best works are in the books of blood, so many great stories in those collections.
I loved The Great and Secret Show. The second book of the trilogy, Everville, was pretty good but not as great as the first. And that was written 24 years ago, still waiting for the last book of the trilogy haha

I also remember really liking his Abarat series when I was younger, which is a more "young adult" series. Recently I've tried to get into Imajica on a few separate occasions but it hasn't grabbed me like TG&SS did.

Reactions: Bexlyspeed

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Flame away.

Can easily agree. I thought actually the first third and last third of BB was pretty stale. It was the middle that was excellent. I also can't stand Game of Thrones, go figure. I like character development and they don't live long enough in that show to really keep my attention. I only made it halfway through season 2 before giving up.

Currently I'm in too Black Mirror and Bull. Just finished Black Mirror though....not sure what to hit up next.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ouch... it is an unpopular opinion, but unlike hockey this all boils down to taste, the last 5 episodes of Breaking Bad were beyond amazing, as far as they payoff and the anticipation. Better Call Saul is fascinating and completely different, what makes Better Call Saul fall short of the mark is the amount of time wasted on Mike's character, long drawn out scenes that play on for too long... The legal portion of the show is great, and the Kim character is unique

I thought the beginning of the show was good, then I became bored and annoyed by the ridiculousness of some of it and actually took a break from the show. Then I went back and it ramped back up toward the end, but I just thought the entire conclusion was really lame and terrible. I love Mike's time on Better Call Saul, so much more enjoyable than all of the unnecessary time Chuck gets. Still like it more than Breaking Bad though.

I have such a love/hate relationship with PUBG... I absolutely hated it before I learned where to drop, but now it's pretty entertaining actually. Still hoping to win a game, though... Been in the top 5 before. Just don't drop at the school unless you're ready to go from the jump.

You play on PC? I wouldn't mind playing a game or two to see if I can help you get that chicken dinner.

I've stopped playing as much lately because the stability and smoothness of the game is lacking. Jumping into high population areas is a lag fest and is almost entirely dependent on not lagging/having good rng.

Can easily agree. I thought actually the first third and last third of BB was pretty stale. It was the middle that was excellent. I also can't stand Game of Thrones, go figure. I like character development and they don't live long enough in that show to really keep my attention. I only made it halfway through season 2 before giving up.

Currently I'm in too Black Mirror and Bull. Just finished Black Mirror though....not sure what to hit up next.

Funny that we liked the exact opposite parts, but neither think it's that great of a show. I like Game of Thrones and they tone down the major character killing as it progresses, so the development happens to the characters that will stick around longer. Haven't tried Black Mirror but have heard good things.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I thought the beginning of the show was good, then I became bored and annoyed by the ridiculousness of some of it and actually took a break from the show. Then I went back and it ramped back up toward the end, but I just thought the entire conclusion was really lame and terrible. I love Mike's time on Better Call Saul, so much more enjoyable than all of the unnecessary time Chuck gets. Still like it more than Breaking Bad though.

Chuck time can be a bit annoying at times, maybe because I don't know the fate of Chuck vs that we know what becomes of Mike, it has a different view... what can you remember from Breaking Bad was ridiculous, maybe the time Hank was recovering and his wife being a shoplifter could be tedious

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Chuck time can be a bit annoying at times, maybe because I don't know the fate of Chuck vs that we know what becomes of Mike, it has a different view... what can you remember from Breaking Bad was ridiculous, maybe the time Hank was recovering and his wife being a shoplifter could be tedious

I can't remember specifics, it's been a while now, but I will say that a guy who is literally dying of cancer wouldn't have the time or energy to do the things he does through most of that show. The shoplifting was a bit much, as was the final discovery for Hank near the finale. Skyler's story arc wasn't the most believable of things either, and that bothers me for a supporting character that should be fairly straightforward to create. Just seems like things got lost in themselves, convoluted story lines and character arcs.

It's not a bad show, but it certainly isn't the best thing I've ever seen or as phenomenal as many claim, to me at least.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Anyone here as into fantasy football as I am?

Periferal, I play both fantasy football and baseball.

Baseball can drag sometimes, since the season is so long and there are so many games. I am in both a daily and weekly league and sometimes setting a lineup every day can be a chore, especially looking at the pitching matchups and confirming lineups before game time when the MLB managers post them, but I still enjoy it. It helps pass the slow season, when football and hockey are in their offseasons.

Football is much better IMHO. I used to be in a crazy amount of leagues but only did four this year. Two were exclusively my teams and the other two I managed for my wife and one of my cousin's. My wife's team struggled, due to a ridiculous rash of injuries, but I won the league for my cousin for the third year in a row.

In my favorite FF league, which is an auction-based, keeper league (one- to five-year contracts for players), 12 teams, 19 roster spots and three IR spots; I ran the table to go 15-0. (I had a bye the first week of the playoffs). It was my third title since the league started 8-9 years ago and I have assembled a very strong team that should contend for several years.

I really enjoy the auction-keeper format. And even though I went undefeated, the competition is very strong as all of the owners are active. It even makes for a quick draft now, since the available player pool is mostly rookies, stars coming off multi-year contracts and then some older vets/backups who tend to be one-year adds signed for depth or handcuffs.

What type of leagues do others play in? Maybe we can try and get one started for the posters on this board for next season? I would be interested.

Reactions: periferal

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I can't remember specifics, it's been a while now, but I will say that a guy who is literally dying of cancer wouldn't have the time or energy to do the things he does through most of that show. The shoplifting was a bit much, as was the final discovery for Hank near the finale. Skyler's story arc wasn't the most believable of things either, and that bothers me for a supporting character that should be fairly straightforward to create. Just seems like things got lost in themselves, convoluted story lines and character arcs.

It's not a bad show, but it certainly isn't the best thing I've ever seen or as phenomenal as many claim, to me at least.

I think for me, I only saw it after it was concluded, so there so much buzz and I binge watched it much faster than anything I saw, Skyler's storyline... made sense beyond the bizarre ending of Ted, she became like Lorraine Bracco's character in Good Fellas, resistant than compliant.

Are you talking about Hanks' discovery of the Walt Whitman poetry book on the toilet... I thought that was clever given earlier in the series when Hank thought.. WW... Walter White and Walt says "you got me". Most shows will have some suspension of disbelief, I get why you don't herald it... like that for me with Game of Thrones,... never got that one

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Periferal, I play both fantasy football and baseball.

Baseball can drag sometimes, since the season is so long and there are so many games. I am in both a daily and weekly league and sometimes setting a lineup every day can be a chore, especially looking at the pitching matchups and confirming lineups before game time when the MLB managers post them, but I still enjoy it. It helps pass the slow season, when football and hockey are in their offseasons.

Football is much better IMHO. I used to be in a crazy amount of leagues but only did four this year. Two were exclusively my teams and the other two I managed for my wife and one of my cousin's. My wife's team struggled, due to a ridiculous rash of injuries, but I won the league for my cousin for the third year in a row.

In my favorite FF league, which is an auction-based, keeper league (one- to five-year contracts for players), 12 teams, 19 roster spots and three IR spots; I ran the table to go 15-0. (I had a bye the first week of the playoffs). It was my third title since the league started 8-9 years ago and I have assembled a very strong team that should contend for several years.

I really enjoy the auction-keeper format. And even though I went undefeated, the competition is very strong as all of the owners are active. It even makes for a quick draft now, since the available player pool is mostly rookies, stars coming off multi-year contracts and then some older vets/backups who tend to be one-year adds signed for depth or handcuffs.

What type of leagues do others play in? Maybe we can try and get one started for the posters on this board for next season? I would be interested.

I used to play in the fantasy leagues but as you get older time flies quicker and if you really don't know all the players in MLB you really can't compete that well... I ran simulated baseball leagues using out of the park that was a lot of fun, but time consuming

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think for me, I only saw it after it was concluded, so there so much buzz and I binge watched it much faster than anything I saw, Skyler's storyline... made sense beyond the bizarre ending of Ted, she became like Lorraine Bracco's character in Good Fellas, resistant than compliant.

Are you talking about Hanks' discovery of the Walt Whitman poetry book on the toilet... I thought that was clever given earlier in the series when Hank thought.. WW... Walter White and Walt says "you got me". Most shows will have some suspension of disbelief, I get why you don't herald it... like that for me with Game of Thrones,... never got that one

Yeah, I'm referring to the poetry book. It felt like a convenient lazy way to try and wrap things up. You mean to tell me a guy who is as smart and as careful as Walt was that dumb? Just don't buy it. I know what they were going for with Skyler, just didn't love the way it was done. I tend to not like super popular things though, so it's no surprise to me that I don't enjoy it as much as everyone else did.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Yeah, I'm referring to the poetry book. It felt like a convenient lazy way to try and wrap things up. You mean to tell me a guy who is as smart and as careful as Walt was that dumb? Just don't buy it. I know what they were going for with Skyler, just didn't love the way it was done. I tend to not like super popular things though, so it's no surprise to me that I don't enjoy it as much as everyone else did.

I am that way with movies, I don't like big commercial Hollywood movies, TV shows, hit or miss...

Walt was meticulous in his details, guess he never thought Hank would use his toilet... I think he would have the strength to pull off a lot of what he did because the cancer was in remission and that he already had faced death, that part of the show is in line I think.

Sounds like you prefer a lot of the under the rader stuff and now with Netflix and Amazon there are so many shows to watch

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I am that way with movies, I don't like big commercial Hollywood movies, TV shows, hit or miss...

Walt was meticulous in his details, guess he never thought Hank would use his toilet... I think he would have the strength to pull off a lot of what he did because the cancer was in remission and that he already had faced death, that part of the show is in line I think.

Sounds like you prefer a lot of the under the rader stuff and now with Netflix and Amazon there are so many shows to watch

I'm really picky with just about everything honestly, movies, television, music, food, etc. Typically the more commercial something is the more I dislike it (at least today), every now and again I'm pleasantly surprised though. Some examples of other commercially successful movies/television I don't like or have no desire to see are, just about anything super hero related that Marvel does (Deadpool was enjoyable), Star Wars after the original three, Jurassic World (really any of these movies but the first), Harry Potter, Transformers, Taken, Fast and Furious series, Doctor Who, Stranger Things, The Office, House, Star Trek, Parks and Recreation, Mad Men, The League, and I'm sure a bunch more of popular stuff.

A more extensive list of shows I've liked: Red Oaks, Justified, Sopranos, Rick and Morty, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, House of Cards, Freaks and Geeks, Peaky Blinders, It's Always Sunny, Better Call Saul, Wilfred, Entourage, Boardwalk Empire, Silicon Valley, and as ridiculous as the show is, Vice Principals.

Movies: Rocky, Good Will Hunting, Platoon, Hotel Rwanda, Terminator 2, The Nice Guys, Only God Forgives, Drive, just about all Tarantino movies, V for Vendetta, The Big Lebowski, Casablanca, Psycho, American Beauty, A Bronx Tale, Shawshank, Forrest Gump, Goodfellas, Seven, The Usual Suspects, Life is Beautiful, American History X. Hot Tub Time Machine is one of the best so bad it's good movies to me, not sure if I'm alone in that.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'm really picky with just about everything honestly, movies, television, music, food, etc. Typically the more commercial something is the more I dislike it (at least today), every now and again I'm pleasantly surprised though. Some examples of other commercially successful movies/television I don't like or have no desire to see are, just about anything super hero related that Marvel does (Deadpool was enjoyable), Star Wars after the original three, Jurassic World (really any of these movies but the first), Harry Potter, Transformers, Taken, Fast and Furious series, Doctor Who, Stranger Things, The Office, House, Star Trek, Parks and Recreation, Mad Men, The League, and I'm sure a bunch more of popular stuff.

A more extensive list of shows I've liked: Red Oaks, Justified, Sopranos, Rick and Morty, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, House of Cards, Freaks and Geeks, Peaky Blinders, It's Always Sunny, Better Call Saul, Wilfred, Entourage, Boardwalk Empire, Silicon Valley, and as ridiculous as the show is, Vice Principals.

Movies: Rocky, Good Will Hunting, Platoon, Hotel Rwanda, Terminator 2, The Nice Guys, Only God Forgives, Drive, just about all Tarantino movies, V for Vendetta, The Big Lebowski, Casablanca, Psycho, American Beauty, A Bronx Tale, Shawshank, Forrest Gump, Goodfellas, Seven, The Usual Suspects, Life is Beautiful, American History X. Hot Tub Time Machine is one of the best so bad it's good movies to me, not sure if I'm alone in that.

Interesting, you list of commercial stuff that you don't like is identical to mine, Mad Men was a decent show (overrated), the other stuff I would never see in a million years as well, I like comedy/drama/romance movies.

TV shows... Red Oaks isn't bad... pretty good list of shows, have to check out some I never heard of Vice Principals.. not like too much, didn't mind Kenny Powers but hmmm

Movie list is pretty good, did not like The Nice Guys, never a fan of Quentin Tarantino for some reason, you like a lot of critically acclaimed movies with either odd twists or realistic violence it seems, and Hot Tub Time Machine is pretty good but I am a Cusack fan, he doesn't do bad too often by me, even liked Serendipity and I am not supposed to like that... talk about far fetched movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad