Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Nolan is a great guy, but in terms of strategizing he isn't ideal. he will get the most out of bottom six grinders and motivate his team, but I don't think he would be a smart hire.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Nolan is a great guy, but in terms of strategizing he isn't ideal. he will get the most out of bottom six grinders and motivate his team but I don't think he would be a smart hire.

That's perfect for us the next couple years lol

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
That's perfect for us the next couple years lol

Yeah, by the time this team has more top six talent, it will be time to fire another coach in Lou land. :p:

In all seriousness, I thought that Nolan did about as well as anyone could with the Buffalo roster, so I wouldn't be upset if he was the new Devils coach. However, I'm also not going to get too excited about the prospect of hiring him or insist that he'll do the best job of those available. I'd be pretty neutral about hiring him.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Nolan seems like a motivation guy. I'd rather we have a Xs and Os guy. I admit that I liked Pete (I also agree he had to go) and this was one reason why.

To me, the Devils are having difficulty with structure. The young D are my biggest concern. They need to learn the right way. I'd rather the team learn vs. pick-up bad habits - regardless of win/loss or excitement meter.

I'd pick a guy who gets structure, how to teach kids, and how to handle the NHL. I think that's a pretty small pool, and most of the group will come with past issues. Boucher (seemed super tightly wound). Muller (failed). Haviland (no experience). I'm probably missing a few others, but pretty sure they'll be of the same types.

Boucher is still my pick. Him + Stevens behind the bench, tho - not sure if there will be enough intensity left over for the rest of the team.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
Not less coaches, more coaches!

hydra_by_yoso999-d7bmpqg.jpg

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I think the team will make a return to a more conservative approach, especially considering how they've played since the coaching change. I wouldn't be too surprised if Boucher was on the short list. Dave Tippet and Paul MacLean would be on there too. I can't see Stevens because he doesn't have any experience aside from this season. Also, I kind of question his commitment. He doesn't care for the idea of being too far from home and I don't think he would coach a minor league team.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Nolan seems like a motivation guy. I'd rather we have a Xs and Os guy. I admit that I liked Pete (I also agree he had to go) and this was one reason why.

To me, the Devils are having difficulty with structure. The young D are my biggest concern. They need to learn the right way. I'd rather the team learn vs. pick-up bad habits - regardless of win/loss or excitement meter.

I'd pick a guy who gets structure, how to teach kids, and how to handle the NHL. I think that's a pretty small pool, and most of the group will come with past issues. Boucher (seemed super tightly wound). Muller (failed). Haviland (no experience). I'm probably missing a few others, but pretty sure they'll be of the same types.

Boucher is still my pick. Him + Stevens behind the bench, tho - not sure if there will be enough intensity left over for the rest of the team.

This is why I want Renney.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Dallas Eakins? LOL

did you guys not watch him with the Oilers?

the absolute last guy we should be hiring

The Oilers were a better team under Eakins than they were under whoever the new guy is (I can't remember his name). They got crushed by PDO at the outset and then the wheels fell off when he lost a room full child millionaires who aren't used to not doing whatever they want on the ice.

I'd also be fine with Babcock (obviously), Bylsma, Renney, Boucher, and MAAAAYBE Stevens, but only because if he doesn't work out then we're looking at another top-10 pick next June. Something like that was a bigger deal with Maclean but the Devils were expected to be competitive. That's certainly not going to be an issue next season.

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Renney is interesting. Experienced coach. Knows the area. Very well regarded and helped change the culture with the Rangers. I'd be up for it. I don't think he helps us win soon, though - I think hiring him is about a patient rebuild.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Here is a fun thoughts.

McLellan gets the can in San Jose and signs on in Toronto.

(I know his motives were for family but things change) Robinson also leaves and comes back to NJ as the D guy.

Lou promotes Stevens to HC. I think people would be a lot more comfortable with Stevens as a coach is Robinson was on the bench with him.

Ok not back to reality. Im warming to Boucher and a couple other guys mentioned. I kinda want a guy Eaves or a more off the radar guy instead of a retread coach.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Robinson is retiring from behind the bench I believe and moving to Florida to spend time with his family

believe he will still be the Director of Player Development for SJ though

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lou's comments today have me thinking he might wait to see who is available and what coaches are fired in the next coming days or weeks.

Or he could possibly still just turn around and promote Oates next week. :laugh::help:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lou's comments today have me thinking he might wait to see who is available and what coaches are fired in the next coming days or weeks.

Or he could possibly still just turn around and promote Oates next week. :laugh::help:

It would be kind of irresponsible not to, tbh. It's not like we went on a miracle run to make the playoffs where he has to promote one of these guys before seeing what else hits the market. Do I think we're going to be in on Babcock, not really but I could definitely see Lou asking his buddy Larry about McClellan, among other guys that could be on the market.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

The fact he didn't just give either of them the job today makes me agree with you.

He wants to survey the whole field first.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It would be kind of irresponsible not to, tbh. It's not like we went on a miracle run to make the playoffs where he has to promote one of these guys before seeing what else hits the market. Do I think we're going to be in on Babcock, not really but I could definitely see Lou asking his buddy Larry about McClellan, among other guys that could be on the market.

We might be "in" on Babcock is Lou may call him up and make him an offer.

Odds are he would never accept it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah, there's no telling who else might be on the market by the time June rolls around. Julien could be out there depending on the fallout in Boston (although it seems like he's always on the chopping block). The Pens could fire Johnston when they flame out early. If St. Louis goes out early, Hitchcock could be available (not that I'd really want him anyway). Who knows who else might get the axe, or if there's an up and coming coach out there somewhere, or somebody who's been out of it for the last year or so. I honestly don't know who I want, or if it really matters. Unless we add a couple forwards we're probably going to be right back where we've been the last few years. Is that a situation you want to put a rookie head coach like Stevens in? Can any coach make this team competitive next year?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We might be "in" on Babcock is Lou may call him up and make him an offer.

Odds are he would never accept it.

Well Lou has to know Babcock will want basically total control (including autonomy with his staff) and a big contract and can get all of that elsewhere. At least the first one of those things is a non-starter here. When has Lou gone after a big-name coach besides Burns - who'd just been fired from his third job and out of work for over a year. Lemaire? Lou hadn't won a thing yet and was probably on the griddle himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad