Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Because the best thing to do in the middle of a rebuild is to make sweeping changes.

how many years of missing the playoffs do we give them, though? we're sitting at 4 out of 5. another year? two years?

and spare me the "but we are dealing with special circumstances!!!" stuff. we've been there ad nauseum.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
how many years of missing the playoffs do we give them, though? we're sitting at 4 out of 5. another year? two years?

and spare me the "but we are dealing with special circumstances!!!" stuff. we've been there ad nauseum.

Well if we are in the middle of a true rebuild then yes the playoffs wouldnt be expected for a few years so allowing him to see it all they way through makes sense.

I have no idea what the future holds but i just dont see Lou ever being fired. I see him giving up GM and just being a President or something.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Because the best thing to do in the middle of a rebuild is to make sweeping changes.

This isn't even a full rebuild yet. We have idiots like Stephen Gionta, Dainius Zubrus, and Tuomo Ruutu getting significant minutes while Matteau and Boucher get rotated in and out of the player suits and Josefson is still on the fourth line.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Do you want to rebuild or make the playoffs? You ***** about how we need to rebuild, then turn around and ***** about how we've missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. Do you think rebuilds happen quickly or easily? Do you think top line players grow on trees and are available all over the draft? Do you think young top six forwards are readily available around the league?

And you can't ignore the circumstances in recent years. Losing Parise and Kovalchuk, our average drafting position, our rebuilding of the defense, trading a top 10 pick for Cory all play a part in our current situation. You can't stick your head in the sand and ignore the multitude of factors that have led us to where we are now.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Do you want to rebuild or make the playoffs? You ***** about how we need to rebuild, then turn around and ***** about how we've missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. Do you think rebuilds happen quickly or easily? Do you think top line players grow on trees and are available all over the draft? Do you think young top six forwards are readily available around the league?

And you can't ignore the circumstances in recent years. Losing Parise and Kovalchuk, our average drafting position, our rebuilding of the defense, trading a top 10 pick for Cory all play a part in our current situation. You can't stick your head in the sand and ignore the multitude of factors that have led us to where we are now.

how long do you expect a rebuild to take, 10 years? do you understand how ridiculous that is?

yea, the D looks decent and all but we have a LONG way to go, man. you guys are acting like this is a quick fix. its going to be a number of more years of this.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I want a fresh set of eyes as head coach. not the same old rehashed crap

I agree. I feel like Boucher would be the perfect balance between status quo and changing it up.

Blashill is an interesting candidate. Also, the Devils have always been linked to Wisconsin coach Eaves every time we have an open spot it seems.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ

In all honesty though, you don't acknowledge the circumstances at all. Saying "enough of the talk of circumstances," does not mean you are refuting it. The circumstances Lou was involved in was mostly out of his control. If Lou had a normal owner, the Devils would be fine for now with Parise and Kovy, and you wouldn't be all over him for missing the playoffs as much as they did. The fact that Lou had a bad stretch of drafting really wouldn't be the focus of discussion right now if that was the case. But because of ownership issues, here we are.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think the owner really had anything to do with Kovalchuk leaving, it's debatable whether it mattered with Parise leaving.

Anyway this thread's about coaching, not about Lou or ownership.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
how long do you expect a rebuild to take, 10 years? do you understand how ridiculous that is?

yea, the D looks decent and all but we have a LONG way to go, man. you guys are acting like this is a quick fix. its going to be a number of more years of this.

I don't think anyone has said that.

People have said that if we get seriously lucky we can turn it around quicker. Most are anticipating at least another year of this before we see some glimpses of hope.

It's just that the future isn't as bleak as people like you try to make it out to be. We don't have the high-end prospects due to drafting defenseman lately. However, we have the picks to finally address that. The rest of our prospects in my opinion are all interesting in their own ways and should be nice compliments to the guys we get this draft and next.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ

Its not extremely common, but teams can get out of it pretty quickly if some things go there way. Doing well in the draft is obviously a key. Picking up an immediate impact player via trade or FA is also a must.

Sooner or later, the Devils will trade from their strength, their defense. If the Devils do well this offseason, and maybe pickup some offense via trade, the Devils could be in the playoffs sooner than you think.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I don't think the owner really had anything to do with Kovalchuk leaving, it's debatable whether it mattered with Parise leaving.

Anyway this thread's about coaching, not about Lou or ownership.

I guess its debatable, but when does a star player, on a team that just went to the finals, leave his team? Plus Parise was quoted saying the Devil's financial situation was a factor in his decision to leave. He didn't elaborate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the main reason. Kovy is more debatable, I can't figure out what was going on in his head. But that is still an outside factor Lou had no control over.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Parise was given $100 million dollars

thats why he left

we were never going to pay him that. the time to pay him was the year prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad