GDT: Ottawa Senators vs Montreal Canadiens Oct 12 at the Bell Center

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Is anyone feeling the down right blues today?..I couldn't put my finger on it all day and finally my wife said "my goodness, get over them losing last night"....she's right. This overwhelming feeling of here we go again started this morning as I slept on it.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
You guys should just open up your own OT thread at this point to discuss which city sucks more, we're getting derailed pretty hard rn lol

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Is anyone feeling the down right blues today?..I couldn't put my finger on it all day and finally my wife said "my goodness, get over them losing last night"....she's right. This overwhelming feeling of here we go again started this morning as I slept on it.

The way they played last night has certainly not helped my mood today. We all watch hockey to distract ourselves from the real world, but as you say, when the team you cheer for shows very little signs of improvement year after year, it becomes more of a chore than fun entertainment.

Psycroptic86

Oct 5, 2019
Last night's play wasn't encouraging at all, but I'm hoping it's just early-season bs they're dealing with. A lot of the forwards are MIA and need to produce. Stuztle has 75% of the goals so far.

Reactions: Dionysus

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I enjoy the classic and the "Saturday Night's Alright" song, always got pumped with the latter haha
They now play it on their pre-game show which starts 30 minutes before the game. I also preferred when they played it before the game. No way I'm listening to that group for an extra 30 minutes before the game, it's painful enough during intermissions.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah. I think it’s been totally wasted. If tkatchuk and all them decide to stay we won’t be competitive for another few years. Maybe until only 2 years left in their contracts. Not sure staios will pull the plug on green that fast.

He's still an advisor, he should do some advising.
He tried with DJ. Head coaches will do what they want. Saw no change u til Jacques was actually the coach

sena

Jul 3, 2024
Batherson has decided he needs to deke five guys instead of passing the puck almost every play
Brady seem like he only wants to throw checks
Klevin is big but might not be ready yet, or ever
Timmy looks great

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Why doesn’t chabot move to the middle of the ice here? He sees what the f*** is happening in front of him. How can you defend the counter all the way from the f***ing wall. What are you waiting to develop exactly?

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
HF Senator fans have a tendency to be really optimistic in the off season.

The big move or addition that we made in the offseason was getting Ullmark, a much needed improvement in that position. I don’t think goaltending was the only problem though despite all the attention that it garnered. The rest of the moves were more minor in nature. I am focusing on players here versus coaching.

Its been hard to figure out how good our core is relatively speaking in relation to the core of other teams because there’s always been some noise that clouded the situation making it harder to tell. A lot of our players & core are getting older now. This is Timmy’s 5th season and Brady’s 7th. Now we have a new coach that is instilling new systems, so we have another variable that makes our situation more murky.

Having said that, we’ve only played 2 games, so its not time to panic yet. But, it's getting to be time for this group & core to produce results.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Last night's play wasn't encouraging at all, but I'm hoping it's just early-season bs they're dealing with. A lot of the forwards are MIA and need to produce. Stuztle has 75% of the goals so far.
Stu is scoring 1.5 G/G! It won't continue. Stu is NOT the problem; neither is Ullmark.

The problem is poor play by most of the Fs and some of the D. Some of those Fs and Ds may have to replaced.

Coach Green and his henchmen need to correct the problems with effort, lack of smart play, and what seems to be either slowness or laziness or players not in game shape.

When Guy Boucher was here he had them play strong defensively and it worked to reduce the Goals Against; however, it also reduced GF/G. It seems that this group of players does not know how to play a strong defensive game together, or if they can, they are not doing it because of coaching. That is partly on the coaching staff for not implementing a strong defensive system and making the players play that way.

He's still an advisor, he should do some advising.
I'd rather have Torts doing the coaching; he would shake them until they do as they are told. I also like Torts strategy.

Reactions: LiseL

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
All I've seen on their PP is pass pass pass pass, pass pass pass pass, pass pass pass. They need to fire it on net and crash. Especially on the PP. Ottawa making it easy for Montreal and their goaltender.
Also, not enough net presence. If they want to play chip in and chase, they have to start winning more puck battles and do a lot more forechecking. Wish they would play in neutral zone more to create turnovers and block their entry in our zone.

I'm not sure what the game plan is, but even in the Florida game, they scored on the PP and and empty netter. Didn't do much 5 vs 5. Lucky there were able to hang on for the win. If Barkov's stick didn't break, who know what would've happened?

At least the last game, they were better a keeping the shots to the perimeter. Is it because they had a lead but this time they were behind?

I guess time will tell if this team will actually take the next step.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You figured that out after two games learning a new system? Should bring you in as a coaching consultant, Jacques can retire.

IF they had hired a new head coach, instead of a substitute teacher last December, the “New System” would have already been in place before the end of last season.

Canucks and Oilers had success doing just that.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Why doesn’t chabot move to the middle of the ice here? He sees what the f*** is happening in front of him. How can you defend the counter all the way from the f***ing wall. What are you waiting to develop exactly?

How can you watch the entirety of that play and blame Chabot?

Look at what Jensen does throughout this entire sequence. Comes down the half wall with the puck...freeze the video at 3 seconds...has Chabot on the other side of the ice completely wide open and has Stutzle in the near corner completely wide open...what does he do? Throws the puck at the net into a crowd of 5 red jerseys and one teammate in front of the net (Tkachuk). Instead of stopping after releasing the puck, he continues to float down the half wall. The defenseman easily blocks the puck he lofted at him and they turn around the attack, where now he's way out of position.

He watches Chabot race back down the ice and dive in a last ditch effort to disrupt the shot but instead of stopping in front of the net he continues skating past it and the trailing forward pokes the puck in.

It's just a mountain of stupid decision-making in the span of 15ish seconds on his part.

Reactions: Flamingo

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
They were playing a lot of east-west hockey tonight for whatever reason.

Not a lot of forechecking with speed and physicality.
Maybe because Montreal got the 1st goal & they reverted to old habits, trying to force offense to tie it up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad