Ottawa Senators: Outlining a Successful 2022-23 Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
So you're actually using a 4 star system trying to masquerade as 5?

Typically every star seen can be lost, which makes 2.5 the average. By making the first star the bottom, you're asking for visual confusion as the three 🌟 🌟 🌟 look above avg when compared to one 🌟 vs five 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟.

Go ahead and try giving a movie 0 stars on imdb, a product on amazon, or pretty much any other rating site.
Not sure why you're so confused. It's extremely simple.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Go ahead and try giving a movie 0 stars on imdb, a product on amazon, or pretty much any other rating site.
Not sure why you're so confused. It's extremely simple.
Yet, when movie critics give out stars? You see zero or half stars frequently.
Places like Amazon like the additional stars making people think something might be better than it is, as it gets people watching or buying something they might not if it was more visually clear.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
In what world are the lines of Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, & Giroux, Stutzle, Debrincat considered average?

The Senators are going to have trouble on D and in nets, but they will be among the highest scoring teams in the NHL this season, likely close to top 5 barring any major injuries to those players or Chabot.

I think the offense is above average but I think the defense is significantly below average. Should be closer to 1 star until Sanderson proves himself.

Forwards 4 stars.
Defense 1.5 star.
Goalies 3 star.

Under the 1-5 star system. Giving us a score of 2.83 stars...or slightly below average...which makes us fall in the 15-20 ranking window...which is where all experts place us.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Ottawa has built themselves a good team but they (or at least their coach is) are showing early that it is not difficult to get under their skin or throw them off their game. i.e. they are getting wound up with Montreal (the last place team in the league) over a couple shoves that they have decided to dress a goon line today for their final preseason game and have announced they will retaliate.
They will need to learn to play through it. This is nowhere near as tough as a playoff game.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Terrible D, terrible in goal. Not going anywhere yet.
Why terrible in goal? .911 for talbot last year and .917 for forsberg. They're not vezina candidates, but terrible?

Look at his underlying numbers last year. The Wild defense had to drag his ass to those wins. There's a reason the Wild felt the need to not only trade for, but to extend a 37yro goaltender to take the starting job from him.

Fleury isn't exactly great either btw, but he's good enough for Minnesota to not give a damn about losing the terrible play in net from Talbot.
Lol. Okay. Let's take it one step at a time here and see how he actually plays for Ottawa instead of underlying numbers where he still sported a .911.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Why terrible in goal? .911 for talbot last year and .917 for forsberg. They're not vezina candidates, but terrible?

Lol. Okay. Let's take it one step at a time here and see how he actually plays for Ottawa instead of underlying numbers where he still sported a .911.
His .911 was only due to the team in front of him. He was way below what his expected saves should've been based on the quality of shots he faced. The Wild played phenomenal D in front of him.

Both the advanced stats and the eye test agreed, Talbot was terrible. The Wild recognized this and felt the need to trade for another aging goaltender to try to improve from terrible... and then after an "adequate" performance (also, not great), were plenty happy to kick Talbot to the curb.

Make no mistake though...Talbot was TERRIBLE last season!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

They said it 19 times in a row, with caps and everything.

I'm not sure what kind of reaction you were expecting.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Why look at it critically when you can be an insecure leaf fan and compare this season to the previous 3 when everyone thought they'd be bad and were clearly still in a rebuild.

Oh, really?

A season that started with optimism for the Ottawa Senators finished with the same result — the team outside the playoffs.

After a strong 7-2-1 finish to the 2020-21 season, Ottawa came into this campaign hoping to challenge for a post-season berth.

"The rebuild is done," general manager Pierre Dorion said before the season after signing a contract extension. "Now we're stepping into another zone."

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
His .911 was only due to the team in front of him. He was way below what his expected saves should've been based on the quality of shots he faced. The Wild played phenomenal D in front of him.

Both the advanced stats and the eye test agreed, Talbot was terrible. The Wild recognized this and felt the need to trade for another aging goaltender to try to improve from terrible... and then after an "adequate" performance (also, not great), were plenty happy to kick Talbot to the curb.

Make no mistake though...Talbot was TERRIBLE last season!
Ok, that sucks for last season. What about the fact that his lifetime save % is .915? All just....luck?

They said it 19 times in a row, with caps and everything.

I'm not sure what kind of reaction you were expecting.
I needed the 20th time TBH.

I hope they crash and burn. Trashcan franchise. Probably the only team I actually dislike. I've always enjoyed the Bruins and the Leafs franchise itself is pretty inoffensive/run-of-the-mill.
Bahahahahah. You're the best. Suzuki is the best! Stutzle sucks! Suzuki's contract is the best, Stutzle's is an overpay!! Am I doing it right?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
lol, do you really think that? It was more the dumbness of it all.

Tell us again how much better Suzuki is than Stutzle. Just for the shits and giggles of it all.

I'm actually surprised you think the opposite considering there isn't a single metric that supports your argument whether it's stats or career accomplishments.

Funny to see how you were so shook.

Last edited:

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Playoff expectations are surrounding the Ottawa Senators for the first time in years. In my latest for #THW, I outline what a successful season looks like for the 2022-23 Sens, and what needs to happen to return to the playoffs. Check it out! #Sens

I don’t think sens fans have playoff expectations, but we all want to be playing meaningful hockey late in the year. Bubble team is the next step here as opposed to missing by 30 points.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don’t think sens fans have playoff expectations, but we all want to be playing meaningful hockey late in the year. Bubble team is the next step here as opposed to missing by 30 points.

Bubble team being the expectation after 5 straight years out of the playoffs is so goddamn funny to me. What a franchise.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm actually surprised you think the opposite considering there isn't a single metric that supports your argument whether it's stats or career accomplishments.

Funny to see how you were so shook.
Interesting, considering statistically Stutzle has 3 less points than Suzuki's career best (which he did at 23) - as a 20 year old lol.

In Suzuki's 20 year old season he had 41 points in 71 games compared to Stutzle's 58 in 79. But yes, the metrics are all for Suzuki. All of them.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Interesting, considering statistically Stutzle has 3 less points than Suzuki's career best (which he did at 23) - as a 20 year old lol.

In Suzuki's 20 year old season he had 41 points in 71 games compared to Stutzle's 58 in 79. But yes, the metrics are all for Suzuki. All of them.

Age has nothing to do with who is currently better player let alone who's done more in the NHL. You're not very good at math.

Look where they finished last year and it’s the only logical next step. That it can humor you at the same time is a nice bonus.

Is it the same thing as the age argument lol?

That Ottawa is striving to be a bubble team after five years of missing the playoffs is an embarrassment. Full stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad