Ottawa Senators: Outlining a Successful 2022-23 Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
It just invites Leaf/Habs fans to trash the Sens.
You'll find Habs fan quieter about trashing other teams with the way our team is going to let goals in this year

For the Leafs, you should love it when they trash your team, because it is an open invitation to remind them about their pathetic record in the 1st round which they just can't defend

Reactions: Langdon Alger

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Then again, Leaf fans are the experts on off-season expectations.

Sometimes when I want to take my mind off my team's offseason expectations, I pretend I'm riding in an elevator by painting a vertical row of numbers on the inside of my bedroom closet and I stand in there and hum Carpenter's tunes.

Give it a try.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sometimes when I want to take my mind off my team's offseason expectations, I pretend I'm riding in an elevator by painting a vertical row of numbers on the inside of my bedroom closet and I stand in there and hum Carpenter's tunes.

Give it a try.

I'm doing it right now!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He has the same peripheral stats as Fleury, guess he's junk too.
He's not great either.

I looked at the trade as a completely lateral move. Talbot was no loss, Gus isn't the answer, obviously neither is a 37yro Fleury. Good thing the Wild have Wallstedt on the way.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Finished season something like 13-0-1
Thanks to the team in front of him, yes.

His underlying numbers show he let in FAR MORE goals than he should have. Phenomenal defense in front of him, but couldn't make the expected saves... something like a -17.5 below where he should've been to even reach average.

• Love
Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Thanks to the team in front of him, yes.

His underlying numbers show he let in FAR MORE goals than he should have. Phenomenal defense in front of him, but couldn't make the expected saves... something like a -17.5 below where he should've been to even reach average.
One of my favourite parts of this offseason is your religious zeal in correcting people who say Talbot is a good goalie. I agree with you whole heartedly!

Reactions: TaLoN

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Motte - Pinto - Joseph ⭐⭐⭐
Kelly - Brassard - Watson ⭐⭐⭐
PP1: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
PP2: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Chabot - Zub ⭐⭐⭐
Sanderson - Hamonic ⭐⭐
Holden - Thomson ⭐⭐⭐
PK: ⭐⭐⭐

Forsberg - Talbot ⭐⭐⭐

Notes:
⭐ = Among the worst in the NHL
⭐⭐ = Below average
⭐⭐⭐ = Average
⭐⭐⭐⭐ = Above average
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ = Among the best in the NHL
- Stars are based on depth vs other teams depth. 2nd line is among the best 2nd lines in the NHL, thus 5 stars.
- Sanderson could realistically make the 2nd pair average if he plays well enough.
- If Formenton signs and plays 3LW, the I think that's a 4 star 3rd line, or better.
- Bottom D pairing could change, but is average unless Zaitsev plays in which case it's 2 stars.

Edit:
After some thought, I lowered the score of D1 and F3 by 1 star each.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Samhockey3

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
A good season for the Senators will mean getting out of the basement. Small chance they exceed expectations and make the playoffs, but they’re far more likely to be scrapping around the edge of the WC bubble. Lots of good teams in the east this year, looking at the Sens improvement will be somewhat subjective.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Pre-season is pre-season but I don't see any signs they fixed their issues from last year. I think their goalies are going to get shredded alive if their defensive play so far is any indication. Sure they will score goals but they won't be good enough to consistently outscore their problems in the Atlantic.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Pre-season is pre-season but I don't see any signs they fixed their issues from last year. I think their goalies are going to get shredded alive if their defensive play so far is any indication. Sure they will score goals but they won't be good enough to consistently outscore their problems in the Atlantic.
Yep you also say how well the leafs will do each playoffs, so you dont have a good track record yet on predicting.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't understand why people are acting like Talbot is supposed to make or break the Sens season. Forsberg was excellent for the Sens last season. Talbot was brought in as insurance and, at most, be a tandem goalie. If Talbot plays poorly, then the Sens will just lean on Forsberg more.

Reactions: yogibear

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Motte - Pinto - Joseph ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Kelly - Brassard - Watson ⭐⭐⭐
PP1: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
PP2: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Chabot - Zub ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Sanderson - Hamonic ⭐⭐
Holden - Thomson ⭐⭐⭐
PK: ⭐⭐⭐

Forsberg - Talbot ⭐⭐⭐

Notes:
⭐ = Among the worst in the NHL
⭐⭐ = Below average
⭐⭐⭐ = Average
⭐⭐⭐⭐ = Above average
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ = Among the best in the NHL
- Stars are based on depth vs other teams depth. 2nd line is among the best 2nd lines in the NHL, thus 5 stars.
- Sanderson could realistically make the 2nd pair average if he plays well enough.
- If Formenton signs and plays 3LW, the I think that's a 5 star 3rd line
- Bottom D pairing could change, but is average unless Zaitsev plays in which case it's 2 stars.

What is this.... pretty much take a star away from every single line.

• Haha
Reactions: Riddum

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't see why we have to take offence to the criticism that we are too porous defensively when we say as much on our own board.

It's definitely a problem - good goaltending helped mask it last season.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You probably don't know what the word "average" means then. lol

You put us below average at only one thing...and a lot of above average and league best.

You're essentially describing at #5-10 team in the NHL. I don't think we're there yet. I think we're 15-20 as is...so there should be more below average than above average.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
You put us below average at only one thing...and a lot of above average and league best.

You're essentially describing at #5-10 team in the NHL. I don't think we're there yet. I think we're 15-20 as is...so there should be more below average than above average.

Just for fun... take any playoff team you considered "above average" last year. Someone like... St.Louis. They finished 9th in the league in points, and 4th in goals for.

If we take their team last year vs Ottawa's roster from this year, but stats from last year:
Ottawa's top 6: 166 goals scored in 427 games played
St.Louis' top 6: 161 goals scored in 437 games played

Ottawa's top 6 is on par or better than the 4th highest scoring team in the league last year.
Add in a very solid 3rd line, Chabot and Sanderson on D, and how is that not at LEAST a 4 star offense?

And then for defense, one could argue Chabot/Zub is average I guess. Sanderson/Hamonic I put below average. And the 3rd pair is kinda "meh" like a 4th line and doesn't matter all that much. It's average.

I get what you're saying, but our offense is likely among the league best and my ratings reflect that. I'd like to know where exactly you think the ratings should change, rather than a blanket statement.

Note:
Average is also ~16th in the NHL, so a bubble playoff team. If Ottawa was in the West, I think most people would have them in the playoffs. They just happen to be in a tough division.

Ottawa was 22nd in Goals against last year (below average), and 26th in goals for. They were -39 as a whole. Scoring a lot more goals will make a bigger difference than people think IMO.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
3 years in a row we've heard about all the promise in Ottawa, how they might just surprise us, how they are going to be contenders for a long time.

I feel like they just aren't built that well. Unless Sanderson turns into Heiskanen and Stutzle and Co start to actually produce to their talent levels, I just see a team that is going to really frustrate their fans.

Amazing to think that most of these guys will already be beyond their ELCs and onto their 2nd contracts and there is still basically no pressure, nor does anyone in media really dare make a disparging comment. Shows the difference between Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver and the smaller markets.
Ottawa began their rebuild like 3 years ago lool

I don't like their team obviously but they traded Karlsson in 2018 summer

It's now 2022. 4 years since then. No way was anyone expecting anything but tbe tank for the sens 3 years ago

This is the first year they've made win now moves like ADB and Giroux.

If they finish with 90 pts or higher its a good season. If they can make tbe playoffs even better for them

Magic 8 Ball

Sep 27, 2021
The Netherworld
You probably don't know what the word "average" means then. lol
If I was shown that without the names, there's no way I'd think you were talking about the Senators. And I like the Sens

Out of five stars, 2.5 is average. Only two of those lines should be above average, and none of them above 3.5-4....unless you're comparing them only to Montreal

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If I was shown that without the names, there's no way I'd think you were talking about the Senators. And I like the Sens

Out of five stars, 2.5 is average. Only two of those lines should be above average, and none of them above 3.5-4....unless you're comparing them only to Montreal

2.5 is average if you're starting at 0.
We are starting at 1, therefore 3 is average.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018

In what world are the lines of Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, & Giroux, Stutzle, Debrincat considered average?

The Senators are going to have trouble on D and in nets, but they will be among the highest scoring teams in the NHL this season, likely close to top 5 barring any major injuries to those players or Chabot.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
2.5 is average if you're starting at 0.
We are starting at 1, therefore 3 is average.
So you're actually using a 4 star system trying to masquerade as 5?

Typically every star seen can be lost, which makes 2.5 the average. By making the first star the bottom, you're asking for visual confusion as the three 🌟 🌟 🌟 look above avg when compared to one 🌟 vs five 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad