Ottawa Senators: Outlining a Successful 2022-23 Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ConnorHrabchak

Oct 4, 2022
Playoff expectations are surrounding the Ottawa Senators for the first time in years. In my latest for #THW, I outline what a successful season looks like for the 2022-23 Sens, and what needs to happen to return to the playoffs. Check it out! #Sens

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I just don't see playoffs with that defense/goaltending. They are a couple years away yet.
I wouldn't say a few years away.

Then again, I'm assuming they acquire another solid top 4 at some point, Sanderson develops as expected, Zub is re-signed that would make it very probable.

It's the goaltending that's going to be hard. Will Forsberg play as well as he did? What's Talbot going to be like ? Play well and get a contract for next season and play well again ? He's kind of sporadic in his seasons.

Zub re-signing isn't a stretch.
Sanderson improving as he should isn't a stretch.
Acquiring a top 4 d, maybe a bit of a stretch but they have the assets to do so.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
During the offseason including preseason? They'd define a successful season as making the playoffs. Some fans might even say top 3 in the Atlantic.

A few months into the season? They're going to re-adjust their definition of a successful season as winning the draft lottery.

Can't lose situation. The fans saying playoffs will say they knew this team was never good enough a few months in, as they do every season.

Reactions: Dhakhan

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
with out luck we will make the playoffs then the leafs will win there first series in 18 years against us lol... however i would call a 85-90 point season a success idon't expect playoffs but atleast get into the 80 point barrier no more 70s or 60s

Reactions: bert

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Having Talbot out the first 1 to 2 months is not going to help much that's for sure. He was a big part of their off season moves.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
During the offseason including preseason? They'd define a successful season as making the playoffs. Some fans might even say top 3 in the Atlantic.

Pretty much everyone including the talking heads on TV are using the phrase "playing meaningful hockey down the stretch" which is the bar.

It's not that hard to decipher.

Playoffs are the bar next season, competing for a spot into the New Year is this season.

Artificially inflating the bar to feel good about yourselves if they don't meet it is a pretty transparent and standard HF ploy.

Then again, Leaf fans are the experts on off-season expectations.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

A few months into the season? They're going to re-adjust their definition of a successful season as winning the draft lottery.

Can't lose situation. The fans saying playoffs will say they knew this team was never good enough a few months in, as they do every season.
Lol, the GM and coach and captain have all came out and said that while playoffs would be nice, that's not their identified goal. Almost every fan I've seen have said the same.

The goal is to be competitive and be playing meaningful games at the deadline.

If we suck, sure, the hope will be to win the draft lottery. But that would lead to the coach being fired at the very least and a huge crisis of faith in the fanbase.

In summation, you are talking out of your Divine ass.

Talbot wishes he was average. He's terrible!
Top 12 in wins over the last three years, top performing goalie on three straight playoff teams, top 12 in GAA, SVP, and shutouts amongst goalies with over 100 games over the last three years... he's a fine 1B.

Reactions: bert

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
we just gotta be a competitive group this year I think, fighting for a wildcard spot

the following season I would ramp up expectations.

We still have a fairly weak defense and are too reliant on young talent. You never know with young teams sometimes things click sooner than expected

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Honestly competing for a playoff spot is my expectation. But I think this team still needs work because at best we'd lose in the first round.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Top 12 in wins over the last three years, top performing goalie on three straight playoff teams, top 12 in GAA, SVP, and shutouts amongst goalies with over 100 games over the last three years... he's a fine 1B.
Look at his underlying numbers last year. The Wild defense had to drag his ass to those wins. There's a reason the Wild felt the need to not only trade for, but to extend a 37yro goaltender to take the starting job from him.

Fleury isn't exactly great either btw, but he's good enough for Minnesota to not give a damn about losing the terrible play in net from Talbot.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Look at his underlying numbers last year. The Wild defense had to drag his ass to those wins. There's a reason the Wild felt the need to not only trade for, but to extend a 37yro goaltender to take the starting job from him.

Fleury isn't exactly great either btw, but he's good enough for Minnesota to not give a damn about losing the terrible play in net from Talbot.

Good to know.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
3 years in a row we've heard about all the promise in Ottawa, how they might just surprise us, how they are going to be contenders for a long time.

I feel like they just aren't built that well. Unless Sanderson turns into Heiskanen and Stutzle and Co start to actually produce to their talent levels, I just see a team that is going to really frustrate their fans.

Amazing to think that most of these guys will already be beyond their ELCs and onto their 2nd contracts and there is still basically no pressure, nor does anyone in media really dare make a disparging comment. Shows the difference between Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver and the smaller markets.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
I disagree with people underestimating the below. Sort of in order of how much of a factor it should be.

-Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson already very good and now a year older.

-Stutzle being a top level talent who started showing that at NHL level last year already.

-Addition of Giroux

-Addition of DeBrincat

-Addition (in a way) of Pinto and how good he is

-Addition of Sanderson and how good he is/can be

-Joseph from the start

-Chabot not having to play 28 min

-Zub is good

-Forsberg was good last year

-Hamonic and Holden are decent

-Brannstrom is trending finally

-JBD and Thomson have upside

I think people base projections too much on team name and previous standings. While of course there are question marks the Sens have improved immensely. Sick top 9 and some albeit few imorovements on D. But them trading for a D-man is of course very likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad