Speculation: Ottawa can't be finished wheeling and dealing; can they?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
Sign Johansen. Who cares if he's not the same player "as he once was." I'm just tired of seeing the same team since the bubble and taxi squad with additions of Perron and Gregor and Amadio up front. I'm seeing MTL's top 6 and I have difficult time seeing how our top 5 since 2021 will be any different in beating these guys.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Sign Johansen. Who cares if he's not the same player "as he once was." I'm just tired of seeing the same team since the bubble and taxi squad with additions of Perron and Gregor and Amadio up front. I'm seeing MTL's top 6 and I have difficult time seeing how our top 5 since 2021 will be any different in beating these guys.
From Briere June 6

Briere wasn't as sure about the future of forward Ryan Johansen, who was acquired in a trade with the Colorado Avalanche on March 6 but hasn’t played for Philadelphia because of a hip injury.

"He's going through some kind of rehab," Briere said. "He had an injection, claims he has a hip injury. At this point, honestly I'm not too sure where it's at. We're not sure if he's going to need surgery, or if he's going to be ready for camp. We don't really know at this point."

Didn’t want to report to the AHL, maybe that’s why the “claims” portion from Briere, doesn’t sound like he believes him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You're worried about Montreals top 6? That has Kirby Dach and Newhook in it? They're still the worst team in the division. 3 teams have now jettisoned Johansen in 12 months. Toews came right out and called him out for not buying in. Meanwhile management made a point to move out players that were inconsistent this offseason.

Not sure your finger is on the pulse of the organization right now.

Reactions: Icelevel and Bileur

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
You're worried about Montreals top 6? That has Kirby Dach and Newhook in it? They're still the worst team in the division. 3 teams have now jettisoned Johansen in 12 months. Toews came right out and called him out for not buying in. Meanwhile management made a point to move out players that were inconsistent this offseason.

Not sure your finger is on the pulse of the organization right now.
Yeah because the crew we were rolling since 2020-2021 have tremendously given us success and playoff appearances.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah because the crew we were rolling since 2020-2021 have tremendously given us success and playoff appearances.
Well considering Stutzle and Greig were drafted in 2020, Pinto 2019 and Giroux and Perron weren't Senators I am not sure the point you're trying to make. But if you think going to get a locker room cancer that's been kicked off 3 teams in 12 months is the answer have at it. Players develop this isn't the NFL. If you'd prefer to have Newhook and Dach again have at it. I am honesty a little confused at your argument. Do you want to trade the likes of Tkachuk Batherson Stutzle because Montreal got an enigmatic Laine? They don't have a single forward on the level as Tkachuk or Stutzle. Pinto is a better player than Caufield, Newhook or Dach. Maybe living in Montreal youre riding a ridiculous hype train. But they were horrible last year. A terrible team that relied on elite goaltending and still finished 5th last. You seem to be enthralled with players that quit on their teams or get kicked off. Is your criteria for improvement cast offs? What a strategy.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
From Briere June 6

Briere wasn't as sure about the future of forward Ryan Johansen, who was acquired in a trade with the Colorado Avalanche on March 6 but hasn’t played for Philadelphia because of a hip injury.

"He's going through some kind of rehab," Briere said. "He had an injection, claims he has a hip injury. At this point, honestly I'm not too sure where it's at. We're not sure if he's going to need surgery, or if he's going to be ready for camp. We don't really know at this point."

Didn’t want to report to the AHL, maybe that’s why the “claims” portion from Briere, doesn’t sound like he believes him.

...too chicken to play for Torts again.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If he becomes available and will sign for the league minimum, he'd be a great pick up. Not bad at all for a vet that kinda sucks, but is good enough to challenge for 3C that we can always flip at the deadline.

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
Do you want to trade the likes of Tkachuk Batherson Stutzle because Montreal got an enigmatic Laine?
Naw man. I'm saying the top 5/6 we have had since the bubble and taxi squad since 2020-2021 has been the same minus Giroux and have been the same result every season of making the playoffs. So I guess I'm asking how many times can we go to the well every season and expect different results?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Naw man. I'm saying the top 5/6 we have had since the bubble and taxi squad since 2020-2021 has been the same minus Giroux and have been the same result every season of making the playoffs. So I guess I'm asking how many times can we go to the well every season and expect different results?
They changed out a third of the team almost. Strategically moving out players that were inconsistent and potentially lacked buy in. I don't think adding a player that teams don't want that has all these types of issues is the play. Would go directly against every move the new management has made. This team had a GM that ran this team like it was a video game. Those days are over, real hockey people with NHL experience are at the helm. Completely different type of management group and I am very happy to see it.

Reactions: Loach

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
They changed out a third of the team almost. Strategically moving out players that were inconsistent and potentially lacked buy in. I don't think adding a player that teams don't want that has all these types of issues is the play. Would go directly against every move the new management has made. This team had a GM that ran this team like it was a video game. Those days are over, real hockey people with NHL experience are at the helm. Completely different type of management group and I am very happy to see it.
Hope you're right man. It's 7 years now. I think we're all starting to get a little antsy.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The forward depth isn't much of an issue.

The 4th line will be filled out with some combination of Gregor, Gaudette, Ostapchuk, Jenik, MacEwen, Crookshank, Highmore and Halliday.

They may not help us a ton, but those guys playing around 10 minutes a night won't hurt much either. 4th lines are pretty inconsequential.

Much more concerned about our defensive depth. No NHL quality LD beyond Sanderson, Chabot and Kleven, and there's no clear solution at 3RD either.

Don't want AHLers like Roos/Davies/Sebrango forced to play 10-15 minutes a night for us because Chabot gets injured again.

Need a better option, especially since we don't have an above average 3rd pairing RD that can anchor the bottom pair.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I think the lack of organizational assets is going to rear its ugly head this year and next. It's difficult to patch holes with good players when you can't afford to part with anything of value. When I look at this lineup, especially the top 9 F and 6 D, its definitely lacking high quality depth when compared to contenders.

Hopefully we hit big on some picks.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I really do not want ryjo. If u fail and cause rifts on the avalanche u ain't gonna succeed here.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If I were Shawn Simpson, I would tweet that that I am hearing Ottawa is going to flip Ullmark back to Boston for Swayman, but Hamonic's NMC is holding up the deal.

Shawn, since you probably lurk here in the radio thread, that one is free.

• Haha
Reactions: bicboi64

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
f*** the players at this point we don't need any trades it'about developping these guys into winners. Wonder if Green suck as f*** at the helm of this team early in the season , what's the solution to fix that. We can blame players again but someone have to make them better player by having a structure that use their abilities like every good team on the league.Most of the win we get last 3 years were by individual efforts and not steady teamplay. No need to look for players for the next few years at this point with a barren prospect pool and no first rounder probably this year. It all about the big guns we have and making a structure/system to win games with them.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
1 year of this management group. Dorion spent 7 years blowing it putting the team in a terrible situation. People are going to have to be realistic when looking at what Staios and Co inherited.
I thought training camp had started when they got the team... could it be less than a year?

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The forward depth isn't much of an issue.

The 4th line will be filled out with some combination of Gregor, Gaudette, Ostapchuk, Jenik, MacEwen, Crookshank, Highmore and Halliday.

They may not help us a ton, but those guys playing around 10 minutes a night won't hurt much either. 4th lines are pretty inconsequential.

Much more concerned about our defensive depth. No NHL quality LD beyond Sanderson, Chabot and Kleven, and there's no clear solution at 3RD either.

Don't want AHLers like Roos/Davies/Sebrango forced to play 10-15 minutes a night for us because Chabot gets injured again.

Need a better option, especially since we don't have an above average 3rd pairing RD that can anchor the bottom pair.
Scandella seems like he could be a good bottom pair replacement level d man and he is without a contract. Id like them to bring a few guys to camp TBH. If Hamonic cant play what do they do with him? Job in the organization and please retire?...

Reactions: bicboi64

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I think the lack of organizational assets is going to rear its ugly head this year and next. It's difficult to patch holes with good players when you can't afford to part with anything of value. When I look at this lineup, especially the top 9 F and 6 D, its definitely lacking high quality depth when compared to contenders.

Hopefully we hit big on some picks.
I dunno, I feel like Greig-Pinto-Amadio is a good third line, especially with Greig and Pinto still developing.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I dunno, I feel like Greig-Pinto-Amadio is a good third line, especially with Greig and Pinto still developing.
Oh so do I. It has the potential to be on the top 3rd lines in the league.

But I think our second line is quite weak, and I don't think our first holds up with the best in the league. I anticipate Pinto moving into the top 6 and Greig going everywhere.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Making the playoffs is a good measuring stick of success for this team. With Detroit and Buffalo being our most likely competitors for a playoff spot, let's look at all three rosters. I used daily faceoff as the source for line combinations so as to not gerrymander.

Line 1: Advantage Ottawa. Two of the three best forward on these teams.

Line 2: If Norris is healthy then Avantage Ottawa. If not it's pretty close 3 ways.

Line 3: Advantage Ottawa. Not really close.

Line 4: Advantage Detroit. Pretty close all around.

Defence 1: Advantage Detroit and Buffalo. Could be very close if Sanderson takes the next step, which I think is likely.

Defence 2: Fairly close. A health Chabot in a 3D role keeps Ottawa close.

Defence 3: Advantage Detroit. Ottawa needs JBD & Kleven to take a big step or better sign some insurance in a PTO.

Goaltending: Clear Advantage Ottawa - that feels very good to say.

All said I think the Sens have the advantage with best forward group and goalie. We need to have some things go our way on D.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240825_103452_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_103452_Chrome.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240825_103514_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_103514_Chrome.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240825_103359_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_103359_Chrome.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240825_103426_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_103426_Chrome.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240825_103312_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_103312_Chrome.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240825_103333_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_103333_Chrome.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 2

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You're worried about Montreals top 6? That has Kirby Dach and Newhook in it? They're still the worst team in the division.

Our Top-6 has Norris and Perron in it...

Norris vs Dach last 2 seasons : 58 games/33 pts (0.57 PPG) vs 60 games/40 pts (0.67 PPG)

Perron vs Newhook last 2 seasons : 158 games/103 pts vs 137 games/64 pts

2 things, Perron is now 36 y/o, Newhook was 21 and 22 y/o in the last 2 seasons. They're going in different directions.

54 of Newhook pts were at ES, 64 for Perron... so 10 more points at ES in 2 seasons while having played 21 more games...

We're hoping that they're still the worst team in the division but for how long? They were a whooping 2 pts behind us last season lol, we can't act like we are above anyone.

The "hope" IMO is that TB and Detroit regress while Buffalo and Montreal take more time to take the next step. Hard to count on Boston to regress, they made some nice acquisitions this summer and have some good young players developing.

Do you want to trade the likes of Tkachuk Batherson Stutzle because Montreal got an enigmatic Laine?

Problem is our depth and potential beyond these guys is getting extremely thin. We're getting desperate that guys that were picked in the 4th or 5th round eventually hit.

They don't have a single forward on the level as Tkachuk or Stutzle.

Nick Suzuki outscored Stutzle last season while having great defensive metrics. Slafkovsky in the 2nd half of the season, while he was still 19 y/o, has shown he was on his way to become an impact forward. But their gem potential star is Ivan Demidov.

Pinto is a better player than Caufield, Newhook or Dach. Maybe living in Montreal youre riding a ridiculous hype train. But they were horrible last year. A terrible team that relied on elite goaltending and still finished 5th last.

The hype is not only coming from Montreal. And it's not just about Montreal, they are being talked about more now because they keep hitting homeruns but there's also Buffalo and Detroit who have a great bank of young talent (let's not start looking at the other division)

We were ahead of everybody 3 years ago but we were stuck with Pierre Dorion. The NHL is not a league you can AFFORD to have a GM like that for 7 years. It was too long and he made way too much damage, unfortunately.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
As far as us vs Montreal, I do think our number 1 C and number 1 D put us ahead(I'm not sure if Hutson or Reinbacher ends up as good as Sanderson), but they've done a good job rebuilding while not having traded any truly high end players for assets, We traded prime Karlsson, Stone and Duchene yet only Karlsson had a good return.

Well considering Stutzle and Greig were drafted in 2020, Pinto 2019 and Giroux and Perron weren't Senators I am not sure the point you're trying to make. But if you think going to get a locker room cancer that's been kicked off 3 teams in 12 months is the answer have at it. Players develop this isn't the NFL. If you'd prefer to have Newhook and Dach again have at it. I am honesty a little confused at your argument. Do you want to trade the likes of Tkachuk Batherson Stutzle because Montreal got an enigmatic Laine? They don't have a single forward on the level as Tkachuk or Stutzle. Pinto is a better player than Caufield, Newhook or Dach. Maybe living in Montreal youre riding a ridiculous hype train. But they were horrible last year. A terrible team that relied on elite goaltending and still finished 5th last. You seem to be enthralled with players that quit on their teams or get kicked off. Is your criteria for improvement cast offs? What a strategy.

Montreal had nowhere near elite goaltending last year lol, what are you talking about?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Our Top-6 has Norris and Perron in it...

Norris vs Dach last 2 seasons : 58 games/33 pts (0.57 PPG) vs 60 games/40 pts (0.67 PPG)

Perron vs Newhook last 2 seasons : 158 games/103 pts vs 137 games/64 pts

2 things, Perron is now 36 y/o, Newhook was 21 and 22 y/o in the last 2 seasons. They're going in different directions.

54 of Newhook pts were at ES, 64 for Perron... so 10 more points at ES in 2 seasons while having played 21 more games...

We're hoping that they're still the worst team in the division but for how long? They were a whooping 2 pts behind us last season lol, we can't act like we are above anyone.

The "hope" IMO is that TB and Detroit regress while Buffalo and Montreal take more time to take the next step. Hard to count on Boston to regress, they made some nice acquisitions this summer and have some good young players developing.

Problem is our depth and potential beyond these guys is getting extremely thin. We're getting desperate that guys that were picked in the 4th or 5th round eventually hit.

Nick Suzuki outscored Stutzle last season while having great defensive metrics. Slafkovsky in the 2nd half of the season, while he was still 19 y/o, has shown he was on his way to become an impact forward. But their gem potential star is Ivan Demidov.

The hype is not only coming from Montreal. And it's not just about Montreal, they are being talked about more now because they keep hitting homeruns but there's also Buffalo and Detroit who have a great bank of young talent (let's not start looking at the other division)

We were ahead of everybody 3 years ago but we were stuck with Pierre Dorion. The NHL is not a league you can AFFORD to have a GM like that for 7 years. It was too long and he made way too much damage, unfortunately.
You can have Suzuki and Slafkovsky I'll take Stutzle and Tkachuk. So will anyone that isn't a Montreal Canadiens fan. Stutzle had 39 and 90 as a 20 year old. He was clearly injured all season last year. Demidov has alot to prove. You're buying into the hype train. He played in the equivalent of a tier 2 Jr a league last year. He clearly has talent but anointing him a super star... He fell to 5 for a reason. There's risk.

Offseason has proven yet again skill wingers are the easiest asset to aquire in hockey.

Secondly perron is quite easily ottawas 7th or 8th forward. Thirdly Montreal has no one on their third line as good as him or Greig. You wanna talk about depth? Montreal has none and worse top end talent.

You've also hi jacked a thread that was talking about next season not the future.

If you're gonna be this Montreal biased just cheer for them you already live there. You've also provided 0 context to last season. Ottawa had league worst goaltending. Montreals over achieved. Every metric out there shows it.

No idea what Dorion has to do with my post I dispise him and his work. You're having an argument with your self.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad