Speculation: Ottawa can't be finished wheeling and dealing; can they?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That bottom pair is laughable.

A joke we are going to go into the season banking on that. Especially with Chabot's injury history. Insanity really.
I’m pretty high on Kleven and jbd is pretty solid. Not great but solid. Not a joke. Not perfect. But…
If they’re looking to improve that would be the spot.

Reactions: Samsquanch

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
1723751798041.png

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Ulmark singlehandedly transforms this team into a legitimate one. You can hopefully quote me on that. Him and the new coaching staff that is.

I cannot understate how much it kills a players will to live while playing in front of a horrendous goalie. It feels hopeless and its emotionally exhausting as a competitive athlete. You literally cannot win games in hockey consistently with the worst goaltending in the league. Its just not possible.

The reality is that if we see our core group of young players play to the level they have shown they're all capable of at different points in time, then the rest of the additions and subtractions are somewhat inconsequential imo. This core with a solid coach and a top tier goalie should be able to force its way into the playoffs.

I like the tweaks that Staios made outside of Ulmark, even if none of them feel like super obvious improvements on the surface. But I also think if last season Ulmark was our goalie, Pinto and Norris played the whole season, and our current coaching staff was already in place, then it looks drastically different than whatever the hell we just had to suffer through.

Let the rest of the tweaks to the roster happen naturally. We really have no idea what this team will need most anymore until this team plays behind Ulmark, and under Green. It truly could be anything.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

A joke we are going to go into the season banking on that. Especially with Chabot's injury history. Insanity really.

I wouldn't mind flipping Jensen and JBD for a few games, and see how it works. Might beef up the third pairing enough to make it worth it. Chabot getting second pairing minutes makes it easier for him to carry the second pairing with JBD.....hopefully.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I also am expecting PTO. Or a waiver pick up at the start of the season.

I am also expecting the inevitable and they use the cap space from Norris. It's really brutal they're gonna basically have to wait every year to ltir him so they can't use the space until after the season starts.

Agreed about Chabot he's made of Glass. Not much experience but Kleven is legit. He's got the tools just needs the reps which he likely gets in a trial by fire manor. Hopefully for his development Chabot can get to Christmas before he gets hurt. The right side bottom pairing is bad. Good thing they will have between 8 and 16 million of ltir space to use. The bad is teams will have already dumped their contracts.

Reactions: barriers

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This is the reality of having had a goof like Dorion run things for so long.

It will take a long time to fix: this is basically year 0.

However, it doesn't look that bad for a year 0 roster. We shouldn't compare our roster to elite teams, that only leads to madness and bitterness.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
This is the reality of having had a goof like Dorion run things for so long.

It will take a long time to fix: this is basically year 0.

However, it doesn't look that bad for a year 0 roster. We shouldn't compare our roster to elite teams, that only leads to madness and bitterness.
I wonder if Brady feels like this is basically year 0. It sure doesn't to me, feels more like year 8. But if this ship doesn't turn around quick, we may very well find ourselves actually forced back into year 0 soon, whether we like it or not.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Precisely. I remember the commercial on TV!

I wonder if Brady feels like this is basically year 0. It sure doesn't to me, feels more like year 8. But if this ship doesn't turn around quick, we may very well find ourselves actually forced back into year 0 soon, whether we like it or not.
Last season (2023-24) was year 1. Season 2024-25 is year 2 of the new regime. Just because Staios was "patient" does not change it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Precisely. I remember the commercial on TV!

Last season (2023-24) was year 1. Season 2024-25 is year 2 of the new regime. Just because Staios was "patient" does not change it.
More like 1 with an asterisk. They didn't get an offseason, which is a big part of every season. They basically had zero input on the direction of the team prior to the season actually starting. They were already saddled with Korpisalo as the starter at that point, so there was no hope either way.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
More like 1 with an asterisk. They didn't get an offseason, which is a big part of every season. They basically had zero input on the direction of the team prior to the season actually starting. They were already saddled with Korpisalo as the starter at that point, so there was no hope either way.
didn't start the year. Had to live with a mess Dorion left .. Got rid of him and his junior coach cheerleader. The sale dragged on the Melnyk cronies handling it were not completely honest, added things last minute and took to long getting to a deal. Its naive to think they could come in when they did and make more changes than they did. They seem like the types that want to do right by people and not get a reputation like their predecessors

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think the new owner had some say in what happened during the off-season prior to taking control and during final negotiations, not "zero input".

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
didn't start the year. Had to live with a mess Dorion left .. Got rid of him and his junior coach cheerleader. The sale dragged on the Melnyk cronies handling it were not completely honest, added things last minute and took to long getting to a deal. Its naive to think they could come in when they did and make more changes than they did. They seem like the types that want to do right by people and not get a reputation like their predecessors
I will accept the asterisk. :)

Do we still need a top 6 forward and a top 4 D? Asking for a friend from 2015.
I think so. :)

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think the new owner had some say in what happened during the off-season prior to taking control and during final negotiations, not "zero input".
Maybe, hard to say really. Maybe not zero, but it still wasn't "their team" and they had to rid themselves of one of the worst GM's to ever grace the league before turning any corners. They swapped out like 35% of the roster this summer and a ton of staff changes that didn't start until well in to the season. With Korpisalo already set as the starter last year, it was over before the season began, nothing was going to save the season. According to the CiH interview with Andlauer, even the reno's of some of the facilities waited until this offseason so as not to disrupt anything mid season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad