Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hilton was a rookie, so you have to give him a little bit of grace. We also know that it takes longer for the bigger players to develop in any sport. I also remember a lot of us thinking Barlas was done. It is hard to say again, but I point to DC's aversion to or hate for playing rookies.

If he is a forward, Horner should be a first—or second-line player. We need the grit, for sure, but a line of three small guys is not going to do anything. Horner, if he improved his skating, would give a first line a lot of grit and corner presence as well as covering for Pinelli.

Dever is interesting as I think it is a choice between him and Barlas. Barlas is the better face off man and had shown the defensive ability. Dever is just a ittle below Barlas but is a RW. A lot is gong to depend on

a. who comes to camp

Right now I would rate our RW as

Stonehouse
Uronen
Korbler
Horner
unknown Euro pick
Dever
Kelly

At Center we have

Gardiner
Foster
Barlas
Whitehead
Dever
Amidovski

b. what kind of offer does the team get?

As to goal, I agree a lot will depend on the offers that we get for MacK but the one thing I do not want to see is them get into the same thing this year tht they did with Donoso. I also worry about KacK and his injuries. I would hate to go through a season where we have MacK injured Nelson playing every game and rotate in BU goalies that can not play. To me, if Nelson looks good and Hill has a good camp, then trading MacK early would solve our OA issue as well as solidify goaltending. If we run into an issue we can always trde for a rental goalie.

I won’t count out Hilton but each decision has an opportunity cost associated to it. If you give Hilton a spot, maybe you take that spot away from Yanni? Keep in mind that Hilton was a 17 year old rookie, not a 16 year old. So, he comes in as an 18 year old next year. It is definitely a make or break sort of year. We can definitely use the size, that is for sure.

I wouldn’t include Foster as a centre. He has played sparingly as a centre and that has never really amounted to anything positive. I’m also not comfortable with Barlas at centre. He has only succeeded at centre in a 4th line role where I feel his talent is wasted. He is a much better winger, definitely more impactful. I’d like to see Amidovski take on a bigger role as a top 9 winger as opposed to the 4th line centre in his rookie season.

Dever did show very well at centre as the seaosn came to a close and did fairly well int he playoffs too. I think they need to give him the puck in a top 9 role at centre. Let him run with it and see what happens. It would be good if he packed on a few pounds this summer. That would help his case.

At some point I do see MacK gone. That means we do need a backup BUT, I think we’d get a goalie as part of any package coming back in that deal.

As mentioned, there are so many variables at play that it is very difficult to predict the outcome. We really need to just let it play out and see who is left standing.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I won’t count out Hilton but each decision has an opportunity cost associated to it. If you give Hilton a spot, maybe you take that spot away from Yanni? Keep in mind that Hilton was a 17 year old rookie, not a 16 year old. So, he comes in as an 18 year old next year. It is definitely a make or break sort of year. We can definitely use the size, that is for sure.

I wouldn’t include Foster as a centre. He has played sparingly as a centre and that has never really amounted to anything positive. I’m also not comfortable with Barlas at centre. He has only succeeded at centre in a 4th line role where I feel his talent is wasted. He is a much better winger, definitely more impactful. I’d like to see Amidovski take on a bigger role as a top 9 winger as opposed to the 4th line centre in his rookie season.

Dever did show very well at centre as the seaosn came to a close and did fairly well int he playoffs too. I think they need to give him the puck in a top 9 role at centre. Let him run with it and see what happens. It would be good if he packed on a few pounds this summer. That would help his case.

At some point I do see MacK gone. That means we do need a backup BUT, I think we’d get a goalie as part of any package coming back in that deal.

As mentioned, there are so many variables at play that it is very difficult to predict the outcome. We really need to just let it play out and see who is left standing.
I fully agree. The only things that I am watching for are what we draft in the Euro and whether we trade Mayich. I think both of those things have to get resolved before training camp if they can.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I fully agree. The only things that I am watching for are what we draft in the Euro and whether we trade Mayich. I think both of those things have to get resolved before training camp if they can.

The Import draft will give us a sense of the plan for the Imports. I’m not sure whether we will get an answer on Mayich as soon as that.

I do feel the management will try to go with best possible roster to win, at least to start the season. Their success or failure will dictate the rest. It may take all the way through the deadline before we have our true answers.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The Import draft will give us a sense of the plan for the Imports. I’m not sure whether we will get an answer on Mayich as soon as that.

I do feel the management will try to go with best possible roster to win, at least to start the season. Their success or failure will dictate the rest. It may take all the way through the deadline before we have our true answers.
I agree, but I think they are going to have to do something with LW.

If Mayich wants to move then it will happen soon I think if it is not his request then it becomes a choice between Sirman, Gerrior, MacK and Mayich as t who gets kept after the OA deadline

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
To add to that also hearing Mayich & Stonehouse to Brampton is in the works but not yet an agreement as Brampton just wants to send picks but Ottawa wants a player in there as they are not set in on a full re build thinking they can still be competitive this season. Sounds like Gerrior, Sirman, Smyth & MacK could all potentially start the season with Ottawa before having to go down to 3 or until they change there over agers

Stay tuned Boyd has been busy

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Sounds interesting @AGranderson

I’d be happy for Barlas getting an opportunity. It opens the door for some younger kids to get some ice.

Mayich and Stonehouse to Brampton makes a lot of sense for all parties involved. They have two OA spots open and need someone on the right side up front and could also use a solid defensive D-Man to solidify the back end. That is a team in need of those exact types of players. I know @dirty12 and I had a few conversations about both Mayich and Stonehouse being good fits there, although, @dirty12 feels they need the RW more than they need the d-Man. I sort of feel they need both equally. I am not sold on the overall quality and experience of the defence. Mayich would fill that gap for sure.

This would also point to the fact Stonehouse is set to return for an OA season. I would imagine Edmonton has made that clear.

I am good with Gerrior, Sirman, MacK and Smyth to begin the year. I assume Smyth gets moved out when a spot opens for him on another team. That leaves us with the three I felt most certain of being here.

The only question becomes what happens with MacK. It looks like I was accurate thinking they would approach the year trying to be competitive and let the chips fall where they fall. Figure it all out in December and make a plan for the trade deadline.

This really helps the focus now. Give us a better sense on what the plan is and how they intend to execute it.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
OMG67 you know me I’m usually pretty accurate with all my inside stuff, but this one I will admit (stonehouse , Mayich) is in the very early stages of talking Ottawa is not going go give them up for nothing & have made it very clear a player in return is a must as they are going into this season with a none rebuild mentality & if they happen to be looking ok come the deadline I have been told they will not be scared to push there chips in once more.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG67 you know me I’m usually pretty accurate with all my inside stuff, but this one I will admit (stonehouse , Mayich) is in the very early stages of talking Ottawa is not going go give them up for nothing & have made it very clear a player in return is a must as they are going into this season with a none rebuild mentality & if they happen to be looking ok come the deadline I have been told they will not be scared to push there chips in once more.

I think them being competitive at the deadline is a pipe dream. I think they could be within striking distance but they cannot compete AT the deadline with Brantford and Brampton. Both of those teams will be able to outbid Ottawa for the best players. Ottawa won’t have open OA spots or OA spots that can be significantly upgraded. Therefore, they will need to pay full market price for 19 year olds. The extension of that means they have to look at trading Amidovski and I cannot see that happen.

I do agree they need to go into the season with competing being the goal. You cannot enter the season thinking you should be a seller (unless you make that decision like Peterborough at the deadline the previous season).

Regarding Mayich and Stonehouse, the rumour to me is enough regardless of the destination. It shows those are the two they are prioritizing to let go because of the expected return. So, from my perspective, they have the right approach. My concern is adding bodies isn’t ideal. It is not like anyone adding the likes of Mayich and Stonehouse are going to trade a solid 18 or 19 year old. They need that player to contend. What player would they be asking for that would make a difference this season? I think we have enough depth of prospects we need to cycle through before we start adding more. To me, if the picks are attractive (two 2nds and two 3rds), then take ‘em and run!

Reactions: sirius67fan

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Thanks for all your scoops!

Do you think that Ottawa will roll with Korbler and Uronen again next year, or possibly trade one before the import draft?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Uronen may not play next year

The piece of the puzzle involving Sale coming to Ottawa would have been the release/trade of one of the two Imports to make room for Sale. Originally, I thought that was Uronen because of the injury and then Korbler ended up on the first line so it seems most likely Uronen was going to be released. Assuming that was the case, I imagine there are still some questions surrounding Uronen. Those questions will be answered heading into the Import draft.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The question I have is how sure we are that Dtonehouse is not making the Oilers system. Remember when he went to their camp last year no one really thought he would get a contract. Also the Oilers farm team is in need of players.

Mayich, it's possible they'll spend another year in Junior. If my prediction holds, we'll have the entire next year to secure his signing.

The player we need is a center. I am not sure if they are going to give up any of their centers, but I guess stats-wise, Van Volsen would be the obvious man out. But I have to think there will have to be more to the package to make it worthwhile or a guarantee for the Oilers that he is coming back.

If I were Smyth, I really would not plan on returning to Ottawa except for training camp.

I agree that we want the team to be competitive but I do not see any reason to be a buyer in any real shape or form at the deadline. We have been saying year after year tht they need to start building back the draft picks, not trading them away.

We have to quit. We will make a push this year and put off the retool until next year. We have too many draft holes that need to be filled.

The fans will understand if we are not a powerhouse this year or next as long as the product gives 100% on the ice. I see 26/27 as our big year to start another run at the top if we do it right.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The question I have is how sure we are that Dtonehouse is not making the Oilers system. Remember when he went to their camp last year no one really thought he would get a contract. Also the Oilers farm team is in need of players.

Mayich, it's possible they'll spend another year in Junior. If my prediction holds, we'll have the entire next year to secure his signing.

The player we need is a center. I am not sure if they are going to give up any of their centers, but I guess stats-wise, Van Volsen would be the obvious man out. But I have to think there will have to be more to the package to make it worthwhile or a guarantee for the Oilers that he is coming back.

If I were Smyth, I really would not plan on returning to Ottawa except for training camp.

I agree that we want the team to be competitive but I do not see any reason to be a buyer in any real shape or form at the deadline. We have been saying year after year tht they need to start building back the draft picks, not trading them away.

We have to quit. We will make a push this year and put off the retool until next year. We have too many draft holes that need to be filled.

The fans will understand if we are not a powerhouse this year or next as long as the product gives 100% on the ice. I see 26/27 as our big year to start another run at the top if we do it right.

I think this year is a “Hope for the best but prepare for the worst” kinda scenario. I think it is incumbent on the management to go into the season optimistic. It is not like they threw the kitchen sink at a run last season or the season previous. So, it is not like they go in as obvious sellers with no other viable choice like the Petes last season.

I think you really need to take the “we wanna give’r a chance” stance with a grain of salt.

If the 67’s are holding out for a player like Van Volsen for Stonehouse and Mayich, I think they will be holding out for the entire season. I don’t think it is realistic they trade the player they received for Owen Beck for two OA’s.

I really think there are a few teams in the East that are head and shoulders ahead of Ottawa. Oshawa went to the Finals and return most of their roster next season. Missy was right there with Ottawa this season and return basically their whole roster. Brantford returns a strong team. They were building for next season. Even their deadline moves were geared for next season. I think it would be VERY presumptuous for anyone in Ottawa to suggest they are right there with those three teams. Ottawa isn’t in the same ballpark as those three teams. Each of those three teams can out trade Ottawa at the deadline as well (assuming Boyd wouldn’t trade a 1st rounder).

This all doesn’t mean Ottawa will suck. It only means there are three teams IMO that start the season in ELITE mode. Last season we didn’t have one team in the Eastern Conference in ELITE mode until Oshawa rolled into the playoffs with 12 games left in the season. We won’t have that luxury this season.

Even if Ottawa were sitting in 4th, I think the gap at the end of the season between 3rd and 4th could be as much as 20 points.

Regarding Stonehouse, if there are trade talks right now, it probably means there is confirmation Stonehouse is returning regardless of his performance in training camp. I think everyone that is being realistic sees that he needs another season in the OHL for development. A lot of the middling NHL prospects with 2004 birthdates likely need it because of the double cohort rookie season squeezing their development ice early. You have to remember, teams sign players based on where they see them getting to 3-5 years from the time they sign, not that they expect them to produce even at the AHL level in any meaningful way the very next season. A player like Stonehouse needs a lot more development time than the normal player. The way he plays, he needs MAN STRENGTH. He needs to mature physically to make the type of impact he projects to make.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think this year is a “Hope for the best but prepare for the worst” kinda scenario. I think it is incumbent on the management to go into the season optimistic. It is not like they threw the kitchen sink at a run last season or the season previous. So, it is not like they go in as obvious sellers with no other viable choice like the Petes last season.

I think you really need to take the “we wanna give’r a chance” stance with a grain of salt.

If the 67’s are holding out for a player like Van Volsen for Stonehouse and Mayich, I think they will be holding out for the entire season. I don’t think it is realistic they trade the player they received for Owen Beck for two OA’s.

I really think there are a few teams in the East that are head and shoulders ahead of Ottawa. Oshawa went to the Finals and return most of their roster next season. Missy was right there with Ottawa this season and return basically their whole roster. Brantford returns a strong team. They were building for next season. Even their deadline moves were geared for next season. I think it would be VERY presumptuous for anyone in Ottawa to suggest they are right there with those three teams. Ottawa isn’t in the same ballpark as those three teams. Each of those three teams can out trade Ottawa at the deadline as well (assuming Boyd wouldn’t trade a 1st rounder).

This all doesn’t mean Ottawa will suck. It only means there are three teams IMO that start the season in ELITE mode. Last season we didn’t have one team in the Eastern Conference in ELITE mode until Oshawa rolled into the playoffs with 12 games left in the season. We won’t have that luxury this season.

Even if Ottawa were sitting in 4th, I think the gap at the end of the season between 3rd and 4th could be as much as 20 points.

Regarding Stonehouse, if there are trade talks right now, it probably means there is confirmation Stonehouse is returning regardless of his performance in training camp. I think everyone that is being realistic sees that he needs another season in the OHL for development. A lot of the middling NHL prospects with 2004 birthdates likely need it because of the double cohort rookie season squeezing their development ice early. You have to remember, teams sign players based on where they see them getting to 3-5 years from the time they sign, not that they expect them to produce even at the AHL level in any meaningful way the very next season. A player like Stonehouse needs a lot more development time than the normal player. The way he plays, he needs MAN STRENGTH. He needs to mature physically to make the type of impact he projects to make.
I agree about Van Volsen, but they are heavy at the position, so it is not unrealistic to see them trade a center, and he had the worst stats. Also, there is not really anything that we could ask for on this team.

The fact that they are being talked about is interesting. I am unsure if the oilers have made that decision yet I would expect them to make a decision based on how he looks at the Dev Camp the first weekend in July.

Uronen is another interesting point as I think he is going to want to play in a Men's league to get his strength and ability to the next level. It will be interesting to see what position they draft.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
In the eastern conference alone; Bryant, Stonehouse, and Vanacker could be out for extended periods. And there will likely be a couple more injured during NHL camps.

It’s a bit unfortunate. If there was truth to Stonehouse going to Brampton, a second line of Zebeski-Karmiris-Stonehouse or a third line of Zidlicky-JVV-Stonehouse would have given the steelheads real depth and a bit of help to handle the size of Barrie and Sudbury forwards to start the season.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In the eastern conference alone; Bryant, Stonehouse, and Vanacker could be out for extended periods. And there will likely be a couple more injured during NHL camps.

It’s a bit unfortunate. If there was truth to Stonehouse going to Brampton, a second line of Zebeski-Karmiris-Stonehouse or a third line of Zidlicky-JVV-Stonehouse would have given the steelheads real depth and a bit of help to handle the size of Barrie and Sudbury forwards to start the season.

I dunno. I think a lot of people misunderstand Stonehouse. I hear a lot of bad takes on Stonehouse from opposition play by play announcers. Stonehouse isn’t a heavy player. He doesn’t particularly line guys up for hits. He doesn’t lean on guys. He rarely fights. He is pretty much a yappy pest that crashes the net late whenever he can. He’s chippy and lippy. He gets under guys skin and gets them chasing him. They lose their focus which tends to open ice for his linemates.

With the right linemates, he can pop some goals and be an offensive threat. He skates pretty well and has a good shot. NHL calibre? I don’t think so. But, as a pesky pain in the ass, he could potentially make an NHL roster some day. Guys like that are hard to find.

I’m not sure JVV Is a centre with the Steelheads. I think he is a winger. He plays the type of game where he can lean on guys from the boards in. As a centre, I don’t think he is creative enough. I think KArmiris and Misa will likely play #1 and #2 down the middle.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Big twist here, Stonehouse has underwent successful shoulder surgery this week & will not play until December

Not a big deal. Anyone acquiring him is doing it for the second half and a playoff run. The good thing for an acquiring team is they can roster four OA’s so they can keep Stonehouse in a holding pattern. Same with Ottawa. Ottawa could hold his rights and trade him closer to the deadline when his value is higher. His injury actually adds options more than takes options away.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Not a big deal. Anyone acquiring him is doing it for the second half and a playoff run. The good thing for an acquiring team is they can roster four OA’s so they can keep Stonehouse in a holding pattern. Same with Ottawa. Ottawa could hold his rights and trade him closer to the deadline when his value is higher. His injury actually adds options more than takes options away.
You are wrong here my friend
This is certainly a big deal the return will be much much less for a guy coming off shoulder surgery with the unknown of it could be 1 hit to knock him down again. Shoulders are scary and could go bad again in his first game back, #1 injury in hockey that reoccurs is the the shoulder

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
You are wrong here my friend
This is certainly a big deal the return will be much much less for a guy coming off shoulder surgery with the unknown of it could be 1 hit to knock him down again. Shoulders are scary and could go bad again in his first game back, #1 injury in hockey that reoccurs is the the shoulder
100% agree. Looking more and more like stonehouse stays in the O this year and that’s a huge blow for Ottawa. He likely won’t play until December and even then Ottawa probably won’t play him until he’s traded so they don’t risk injury.

Lots of uncertainties

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad