My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Screenshot_2024-06-17-10-36-55~2.png

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe he’s not a leader? Not all great players are leaders.

Matthews doesn’t really come across as a natural leader to me. Been looking for signs of it for a long time and I find there’s too much inconsistency in his in-game approach and the tendency to fall into the “prey” role in the big battles makes me question his assertiveness. Contrast with Knies who seems to enjoy the battle, and it’s just different. If anything I think he’ll continue to mature into a lead by superstardom type and just be able to play his game when the heat is on, with a supporting cast of leadership that is “following” him into the fight. Look at Barkov. Soft as butter with Huberdeau but put the right crew of junkyard dogs around him he looks like Mr Franchise Center.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
AM was good in Game 1, just didn’t score. If he scored that goal instead of hitting the post on that misplay by Swayman or Bruins D, Game 1 would probably end differently.
Game 2, AM dominated.

I agree that MM gets it worse than AM but AM gets it too. Just that there are far less diehard AM can do no wrong fans than MM can do no wrong fans and that’s why discussions on AM’s bad playoffs are a lot less.
Why would any fan of the TML’s fans think any player can do no wrong? That’s what I don’t get. Some fans care more about individual players and will die on a hill for them. Leafs management can trade any Leaf if it makes the team better as far as I am concerned while every player makes mistakes and can be better. I think they’ve made their choice and signed Matthews and Willy long term because they are reliable goal scorers and bigger and stronger than Marner who seems to have more trouble doing his magic in tough physical playoff hockey. That doesn’t mean I love Auston and Willie and hate Marner but I see the logic in the team’s thinking. Will they win a trade for Marner. Only time will tell how the return they might get pans out and the cap dollars are spent. Will Marner flourish somewhere else and possibly win a cup. Maybe but who cares. I have nothing personal against the guy so why should I care if he has success with another team. That doesn’t mean he would have done the same as a Leaf.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why would any fan of the TML’s fans think any player can do no wrong? That’s what I don’t get. Some fans care more about individual players and will die on a hill for them. Leafs management can trade any Leaf if it makes the team better as far as I am concerned while every player makes mistakes and can be better. I think they’ve made their choice and signed Matthews and Willy long term because they are reliable goal scorers and bigger and stronger than Marner who seems to have more trouble doing his magic in tough physical playoff hockey. That doesn’t mean I love Auston and Willie and hate Marner but I see the logic in the team’s thinking. Will they win a trade for Marner. Only time will tell how the return they might get pans out and the cap dollars are spent. Will Marner flourish somewhere else and possibly win a cup. Maybe but who cares. I have nothing personal against the guy so why should I care if he has success with another team. That doesn’t mean he would have done the same as a Leaf.
Is anybody crying because we traded Phil and he won 2 cups in Pittsburgh? He needed to go, just like this core needs to be broken up. Sorry Mitch but you are the first of 5.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
All he cares about is 13.25. A soft player, who gets intimidated in the playoffs and shuts his game down, stays to the outside.
He really doesn't do that, but that debate is for another time.

Simply put, he has to figure out a way to win. It doesn't matter if he puts up 1.5 PPG or stays at his current .87. Just win. I realise that this is a team game, and not all responsibility falls on him, but do you hear anyone saying anything about how Tkachuk is struggling?

No, because they are winning. Matthews stil has a higher PPG than Tkachuck for their career in the playoffs. Tkachuk has had more team success. He has 1 poimt is his last 6 games. If that were Matthews, even if they were in the Cup finals, people would be all over him.

It looks like the Leafs have made up their mind to move forward with Matthews and Nylander. Now surround them with a team that can collectively get the job done

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Is anybody crying because we traded Phil and he won 2 cups in Pittsburgh? He needed to go, just like this core needs to be broken up. Sorry Mitch but you are the first of 5.
Not me that’s for sure. Do you mean the Core Five or four other players that will no longer be Leafs ?

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Matthews doesn’t really come across as a natural leader to me. Been looking for signs of it for a long time and I find there’s too much inconsistency in his in-game approach and the tendency to fall into the “prey” role in the big battles makes me question his assertiveness. Contrast with Knies who seems to enjoy the battle, and it’s just different. If anything I think he’ll continue to mature into a lead by superstardom type and just be able to play his game when the heat is on, with a supporting cast of leadership that is “following” him into the fight. Look at Barkov. Soft as butter with Huberdeau but put the right crew of junkyard dogs around him he looks like Mr Franchise Center.
Barkov was a franchise centre then and is now

Reactions: TMLegend

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Barkov is not "soft as butter". Never was.

I know they're gonna transition the captaincy on to Matthews at some point but can't say I agree with it. Doesn't seem like a great fit to me. Doesn't seem like they have many great candidates though.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree.
To me Knies plays like someone for his size not just being physical but the attitude of I am bigger than you, I can bully you around and talking trash.... AM is really vanilla.

I just hope they get better players to surround Knies and not turn Knies into another big soft player.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Why doesn’t anyone bring up the fact he was 100% trying harder in game 82 to score his 70th goal than he was in game 7 against Boston. What’s the point of having the greatest goal scorer if he can’t do it in the playoffs. 1 goal in 10 playoff games, he deserves way more heat than he’s getting.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Why doesn’t anyone bring up the fact he was 100% trying harder in game 82 to score his 70th goal than he was in game 7 against Boston. What’s the point of having the greatest goal scorer if he can’t do it in the playoffs. 1 goal in 10 playoff games, he deserves way more heat than he’s getting.
He's lucky Marner is around to take the brunt of it. He shields Matthews from a lot of criticism.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I’m an Auston Matthews fan, and not really a Mitch guy, but I’d say Mitch takes on a lot of the heat that should go to Auston. A lot of the Leafs first round struggles can be directly attributed to Matthews not living up to his regular season standard when the heat is on. The Florida series would have been very different if we could match strength for strength with the Panthers, if only the star players at the very top lived up to their billing. If a 6’4” all world center is living up to his ability this team shouldn’t be losing so many series by the thinnest of margins.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree.
To me Knies plays like someone for his size not just being physical but the attitude of I am bigger than you, I can bully you around and talking trash.... AM is really vanilla.

I just hope they get better players to surround Knies and not turn Knies into another big soft player.

The worst tendency in Matthews game is he turns into the prey in every playoff series, enabling every mediocre loser to somehow morph into some ultimate defensive predator. The way Dubois and Danault handled him you’d think the LA Kings would buzz saw straight through to the cup with such defensive matchup legends. Berube really needs to re-shape his approach.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Shame on anyone who compared this guy to McDavid.
I agree but it is inevitable. Matthews will go on a regular season tear and his fans will make the comparison. They've done it before and they'll do it again.

Re : "Especially Brendan Shanahan, Kyle Dubas, Brad Treliving, and the board at MLSE."

Have they actually made the comparison?

Oct 18, 2010
I agree but it is inevitable. Matthews will go on a regular season tear and his fans will make the comparison. They've done it before and they'll do it again.

Re : "Especially Brendan Shanahan, Kyle Dubas, Brad Treliving, and the board at MLSE."

Have they actually made the comparison?

They've decided he's worth just 2 million total dollars less than McDavid for their post-ELC to age 30 seasons. So yes. The next Matthews contract will be the worst one yet.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs got fleeced so bad by Matthews. He thinks he is close to McDavid, lol. Not even. Brutal. How the hell do 2 GMs cave in to his demands? Not only he gets the dollars, but also short term. Idiots.
That would be true if McDavid was paid his worth but he's not, he's severely underpaid.

Any GM pays Matthews that rate I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad