Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I am ass u ming that Boyd has some sort of promise to play drafting 2 American players off the top.

Again I think it will be interesting to see who drafts them in the USHL. If it is Chicago then it should get real interesting considering the number of layers they have sent recently to the NHL draft

Weak class at centre This year. Ottawa needs a top centre. They will have to draft size around him.
OMG when do they usually have the rookie come to Ottawa session.

That will tell us a little bout these 2 players. remember they only get 48 hours in any camp un less they pay for everything themselves,

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am ass u ming that Boyd has some sort of promise to play drafting 2 American players off the top.

Again I think it will be interesting to see who drafts them in the USHL. If it is Chicago then it should get real interesting considering the number of layers they have sent recently to the NHL draft

Both tried out for the USNTDP but didn’t make the program. So, both solid players for sure. There may be a draw to go USHL but sometimes you have to draft best available that suits your needs. Looks like that is what they have done. Reading a little around the net suggests both want to play OHL, not USHL.

OMG when do they usually have the rookie come to Ottawa session.

That will tell us a little bout these 2 players. remember they only get 48 hours in any camp un less they pay for everything themselves,

They usually have an early summer rookie camp. Pretty sure it is in June when school finishes up. I don’t think it is in July.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Both are great just because you don’t make the NTDP, doesn’t mean you’re a bad player.

The NTDP is selecting kids from an entire country - naturally some talented kids that fall under OHL entrapment aren’t going to make it.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Both tried out for the USNTDP but didn’t make the program. So, both solid players for sure. There may be a draw to go USHL but sometimes you have to draft best available that suits your needs. Looks like that is what they have done. Reading a little around the net suggests both want to play OHL, not USHL.

They usually have an early summer rookie camp. Pretty sure it is in June when school finishes up. I don’t think it is in July.
Doesn't Brzustewicz have a brother playing with Kitchener already and Whitehead is a dual citizen?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Beck Rohrer Gerrior
Pineli Gardiner Stonehouse
Foster Barlas Kelly
Whitehead Dever

marelli mews
Ewle Horner
Sirman Mayich
Brzustewicz, Henry

only 3 holes to fill 1 forward 1 D 1 goalie

Doesn't Brzustewicz have a brother playing with Kitchener already and Whitehead is a dual citizen?
Yes his brother was the top D. As to dual citizen not sure it means all that much

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Pretty sure the poles did their homework and they will report unless as you alluded to they've got a deal with Kitchener to unite the brothers? I'm skeptical though as yes we would replenish the draft cupboard but ideallly if we're looking to contend in 24/25 you would want both Bru and Whitey to be at least depth contributors. Interesting though if they are starting to be a destination of interest to the US kids!

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You know I respect most of your opinions but holding Morrison off the scoresheet for three straight games and saying it is directly because the Petes are essentially the best team he’s ever played against is silly. You know that. The Petes are playing well but Morrison missed at least three weeks leading into the playoffs. It isn’t unrealistic to assume whatever was bothering him enough to miss 3+ weeks has resurfaced. That is more probable than the Petes being a freight train.
Try not to interpret my statement that the Petes speed and matching the ‘67s defensive effort is stifling the ‘67s as the Petes are the best team Morrison has ever played against.
Just see and understand that Morison could have months off to rest and still be smothered by the Petes faster and better over all forwards that have put in a do or die defensive effort when the playoffs began.

Again, no disrespect meant to the Petes. They’ve played well, but something is wrong with Morrison. You don’t just fall off the face of the Earth. He’s not his normal self.

I can understand the vast majority of the rest of the forwards being affected (and they have) because most of them are rather young but this isn’t Morrison’s first rodeo. 2 of the teams Hamilton played last year would easily handle this Petes team. North Bay and Windsor last year for sure. Probably not Missy though.

I don’t understand what you are saying. When did I jump off the Morrison bandwagon? I haven’t jumped off any player bandwagon. I’ve been consistent with respect to assessing all 67s players all season. If anything, it was Gerrior that I admired he was better than I thought. I haven’t downgraded anyone.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
3rd player is another D-Man. Loading up the back end! Another pre-season log jam on defence brewing.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
3rd player is another D-Man. Loading up the back end! Another pre-season log jam on defence brewing.
Yeah unless there's a non report deal for Bru we're likely looking at a scenario like last year where Sirman/Smyth or at least one is on the way out. Must say I'm surprised by two D's in the first three. Must have their eye on a forward in the import draft?

Love the D the ‘67s are building, wow!
Yeah but we need forwards too you know!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Next year
Mews/Mayich
Ewles/Marelli
Horner/Smyth
Bru/Sirman
Third pick this year...that's a lot of bodies but good right/left balance though

Race Dawg

LEAFS SUCK!!
Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
For all of my moping, I will be there tomorrow afternoon - for as long as hope is still alive you have to put your money where your mouth is as a fan and cheer on the boys...
You'd all have to get up off your asses over there (and I am not talking about the dedicated fans on the board or the STH) and flood the Civic Centre with a full house and maybe just maybe it might spark a possible game 5 win.

Reactions: sirius67fan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah unless there's a non report deal for Bru we're likely looking at a scenario like last year where Sirman/Smyth or at least one is on the way out. Must say I'm surprised by two D's in the first three. Must have their eye on a forward in the import draft?

Yeah but we need forwards too you know!
Now Boyd can draft one D early-ish and 14 forwards for the next four years :)

Race Dawg

LEAFS SUCK!!
Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
The last time we had any players that were over 100 pim and had any toughness was Salituro, Brendan Bell and Gustavsen 9 years ago under Byrne.

I am not saying that you need a goon line but consider the difference it makes when you have that player n the ice that can resolve issues and get you points. They lack the player that the other team watches for that the ref's keep an eye on. The guy that can turn around a game with one hit.
Not saying Lance was the MVP, but does anyone think that Ottawa could have beaten Calgary if he had not gone out and hit the Calgary player? (sorry forgot his name)
Yes, the OHL is a finesse league but you also need those guys that will hit anything that moves and don't care how big it is.

Take a look at the players we draft they are all finesse players.
100%. You have your bangers and crashers. Guys that will go out and muck it up in the corners and punish the D. Ottawa doesn't have that. It's not my style of hockey TBH. I prefer a mix of fast first and second liners with finesse and size. You need the grinders who will get dirty. I watcher Killers teams since the late 70's and they always had that mix. This team well IDK.

If people have jumped off the badwomen then that means the cart must be pretty light and maybe that means the players will find their legs back?? lol

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well a few comments on our third pick Dietsch. Ohl prospects had him ranked 37. Described as an elite! skater who plays with an edge and ferocity...I like it!

Reactions: BarberPole9

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Projecting 23/24 Season

L.Pinelli:/V.Rohrer:/J.Beck
B.Stone:/B.Gardiner:/ W.Gerrior
C.Foster:/J.Dever:/C.Barlas
T.Sirman:/N.Whitehead:/C.Kelly

M.Mayich:/ H.Mews
F.Marrelli:/G.Ewles
D.Smyth:/H.Brzustrewicz
K.Dietsch:/B.Horner

M.Donoso
C.MacKenzie

Reactions: BarberPole9

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Nice to see that our first two picks seem happy to be here especially being american. Hopefully our player development is gaining reputation and we'll attract more top US kids in the next few years!

Reactions: Race Dawg

Race Dawg

LEAFS SUCK!!
Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Going to be tough for the 67's to penetrate Peterborough's highly effective defensive missile shield based in the way they have been playing up until this point. Perhaps they've got a secret game plan and now would be the time to unvail it. Anyway I hope they play better today and don't get smoked out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad