Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
But who called for the review? If the Petes thought it would save them they might have called for the review to rest players at least or get the goal disallowed

see what happens when this team is double digits in shots
I think that was initiated by the video judge. The play was displayed on the scoreboard and it wasn't really that close. A pointless waste of time. The most dangerous time is right after a goal is scored. In game 4, Ottawa took the lead and then the Petes scored right away. Petes had already used their time out after Ottawa closed to 4-3. The delay probably gave Ottawa a chance to reset and refocus.

Much more offensive push from the entire team led to more chances. There was a lot more net presence as well.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have lots of questions about that review also. Peterborough didn't challenge it, so clearly it was initiated by the league. So what is the criteria for the league initiating an offside review? If they can review that, what else can they review without a request? What can't they review?

Anyway, had a great time at the game. Sat with my buddy from Peterborough who was up here - he knew every group of Petes fans in the building, it seemed. They were a good group and very respectful, it should be noted. Also saw Bob Dyce and Shawn Burke (head coach and GM respectively of the REDBLACKS). I did NOT see that comeback coming. That was so random, in fact, that I have zero idea of what to expect tomorrow night. Are we able to carry that momentum over? Do the Petes come out angry, or are they a little rattled? Their coach was roasting them on the bench - don't know if that helps or hurts. (I suspect the latter.) Who knows, but it was nice to see that our kids didn't just roll over and die in the third - they can all be proud of that. Game 7s are always fun - let's hope we can get it there...

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
I have lots of questions about that review also. Peterborough didn't challenge it, so clearly it was initiated by the league. So what is the criteria for the league initiating an offside review? If they can review that, what else can they review without a request? What can't they review?
The review process is a mess and I don't see it getting better without major limitations on when it can be invoked. In the CFL, I saw a game where the control room called down and changed a defensive offside to a procedure call against the offence, two plays in a row. I wouldn't have blamed the on-field crew if they simply walked off and let the "eye in the sky" call the rest of the game. Football, both sides of the border, is becoming unwatchable.

It affects how the officials call the game and drags things out to a ridiculous extent.

Have you guessed? I'm not a fan.

Reactions: Larionov

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Football (both CFL and NFL) has become an unwatchable mess with all of the replay. Hockey isn’t quite there yet, but it’s moving in that direction. With legalized gambling all leagues will strive for outcomes that are called “perfectly” and free from human judgement and sometimes error. Conversely with the pitching clock baseball is moving in the opposite direction and games are completed in an expedited manner now.

From an entertainment perspective the game yesterday was tons of fun. Can’t remember the last time we had so much fun at a 67s game. I have no idea what to expect for Monday but I’ve heard the boys are confident heading down to Peterborough.

Reactions: OMG67

Race Dawg

LEAFS SUCK!!
Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Football (both CFL and NFL) has become an unwatchable mess with all of the replay. Hockey isn’t quite there yet, but it’s moving in that direction. With legalized gambling all leagues will strive for outcomes that are called “perfectly” and free from human judgement and sometimes error. Conversely with the pitching clock baseball is moving in the opposite direction and games are completed in an expedited manner now.

From an entertainment perspective the game yesterday was tons of fun. Can’t remember the last time we had so much fun at a 67s game. I have no idea what to expect for Monday but I’ve heard the boys are confident heading down to Peterborough.
Grew up a Rough Rides fan in the era of Tony Gabriel, Tom Clements, Holloway and Organ. Brancato was like Killer, he was a staple in Ottawa. Then the Renegades before I moved away from Ottawa. Time passed and when I came back to Canada I started going to Argos games but I am finding the CFL quite weak and boring within the last couple of years. The NFL is way too woke for my liking...

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Gambling is 100% the reason for the replays.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Anyway, had a great time at the game. Sat with my buddy from Peterborough who was up here - he knew every group of Petes fans in the building, it seemed. They were a good group and very respectful, it should be noted. Also saw Bob Dyce and Shawn Burke (head coach and GM respectively of the REDBLACKS). I did NOT see that comeback coming. That was so random, in fact, that I have zero idea of what to expect tomorrow night. Are we able to carry that momentum over? Do the Petes come out angry, or are they a little rattled? Their coach was roasting them on the bench - don't know if that helps or hurts. (I suspect the latter.) Who knows, but it was nice to see that our kids didn't just roll over and die in the third - they can all be proud of that. Game 7s are always fun - let's hope we can get it there...
You're so right they didn't roll over in the third. If the game would have finished after the second the season would have left a sour taste in my mouth. What I've like the most about this team is their effort and compete which for some reason seemed a bit lacking for a few games. Now whatever happens in the next two games I'll be if not happy content with the season. Let's face it despite yesterday we're still behind the eight ball here against a good team. So all I want is that they give their all and let the chips fall where they may. Go get hem boys!

Gambling is 100% the reason for the replays.
Maybe a stupid question as I don't gamble but is there gambling on OHL games?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You're so right they didn't roll over in the third. If the game would have finished after the second the season would have left a sour taste in my mouth. What I've like the most about this team is their effort and compete which for some reason seemed a bit lacking for a few games. Now whatever happens in the next two games I'll be if not happy content with the season. Let's face it despite yesterday we're still behind the eight ball here against a good team. So all I want is that they give their all and let the chips fall where they may. Go get hem boys!

Maybe a stupid question as I don't gamble but is there gambling on OHL games?
I don’t use gambling sites but I am nearly 100% sure you can. Not sure which sites. I believe @Generalsupdates gives his recommendations on Twitter.

Reactions: sirius67fan

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Grew up a Rough Rides fan in the era of Tony Gabriel, Tom Clements, Holloway and Organ. Brancato was like Killer, he was a staple in Ottawa. Then the Renegades before I moved away from Ottawa. Time passed and when I came back to Canada I started going to Argos games but I am finding the CFL quite weak and boring within the last couple of years. The NFL is way too woke for my liking...
We used to joke about George's "Prevent Defence," because it seemed to only prevent winning the game. George had an intransigent (cheap) owner who fired all of the scouting staff as a cost-cutting measure. He made a silk purse out of a sow's ear, year after year.

I started going to Rider games in the 50s, whenever my dad could sneak me in. He knew all of the security guards and I was little.

Reactions: dirty12

Race Dawg

LEAFS SUCK!!
Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
We used to joke about George's "Prevent Defence," because it seemed to only prevent winning the game. George had an intransigent (cheap) owner who fired all of the scouting staff as a cost-cutting measure. He made a silk purse out of a sow's ear, year after year.

I started going to Rider games in the 50s, whenever my dad could sneak me in. He knew all of the security guards and I was little.
Ok you're really old then lol. JK.

I can relate. My Dad was a North Sider and that is where we sat as a kid in the 70's. Later in the early 80's my friends and I would ride our bikes from West end Nepean and hop the fence on the Southside. I don't think I paid for tickets in my teen years! haha. I became a Southsider instantly and never looked back. Bought ST in the 90's until the team folded. RIP

BTW North Side did suck lol...

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Ok you're really old then lol. JK.

I can relate. My Dad was a North Sider and that is where we sat as a kid in the 70's. Later in the early 80's my friends and I would ride our bikes from West end Nepean and hop the fence on the Southside. I don't think I paid for tickets in my teen years! haha. I became a Southsider instantly and never looked back. Bought ST in the 90's until the team folded. RIP

BTW North Side did suck lol...
My dad sat on the North Side and swore that no matter when he bought his tickets, he was always directly behind a post. He bought ST for a decade, then, in 1964, he just didn't have the money. In 1967, Ottawa hosted the Cup and he was told that he didn't have enough seniority to get tickets, because of the break. He never went back.

He did get west end zone tickets for the game and sent my brother and I. The coldest I've ever been before or since. And a boring game, too.

Reactions: Race Dawg

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I think that was initiated by the video judge. The play was displayed on the scoreboard and it wasn't really that close. A pointless waste of time. The most dangerous time is right after a goal is scored. In game 4, Ottawa took the lead and then the Petes scored right away. Petes had already used their time out after Ottawa closed to 4-3. The delay probably gave Ottawa a chance to reset and refocus.

Much more offensive push from the entire team led to more chances. There was a lot more net presence as well.
The timeout has to be called with a purpose, it can't just be for the coach to voice his displeasure to an already flustered group, which is what happened. A little surprised to see this from a coach with Wilson's experience, but I've also seen Cameron do the same thing; Tourigny was a great example of a coach who I don't ever remember seeing lose his cool with the players on the bench.

Petes thought the game was over and got undisciplined, the retreating D started just throwing the puck up the walls which plays right into Ottawa's system.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
First ten minutes tonight should be some wildly entertaining hockey. My guess is that both teams want to come out fast and set the tone. It could lead to a ton of odd man rushes and scoring opportunities early...

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
First ten minutes tonight should be some wildly entertaining hockey. My guess is that both teams want to come out fast and set the tone. It could lead to a ton of odd man rushes and scoring opportunities early...

The onus will be on Ottawa I think to try and set the tone early and to do whatever they can to get out to an early lead. An effort similar to what they put forth in games 3 and 4 in Peterborough will not suffice tonight and their season will be over. That may cost them some odd-man rushes early, so hopefully Donoso is on his game. Truthfully, as good as Ottawa played during the 3rd period on Saturday, also, Peterborough for some reason suddenly stopped executing their gameplan that had been so successful the entire series up to the end of the 2nd period in game 5.

If Peterborough can refocus and get back to doing what they had been doing so well before the 3rd period in game 5, they should have the advantage. They were the better team through the better part of 5 games. However, I can see reasons why Ottawa can continue to shift the momentum and bring everyone back to Ottawa for game 7. They might think that Simpson (a huge reason why Peterborough is up 3-2 in this series) is rattled from the last game. Ottawa may have finally found an offensive formula that works against Peterborough's defense. The line combinations and D pairings were all clicking, with contributions from everyone in the lineup. Like others on this board, I thought Peterborough's timeout was ill-timed and Wilson's demeanor on the bench left a lot to be desired. The players were rattled and in my view Wilson did not help matters. Does that carry over into game 6? Conversely, Ottawa will be going into the game tonight confident. They need to capitalize on that early.

Tactically, I thought Mintyukov was very strong at activating offensively in the 1st and 3rd periods on Saturday. He was creating opportunities on many of his shifts. Oh, you're telling me he was paired with an actual capable defensive D-man in Matier to cover for him - what a coincidence! We should be in 5 D territory tonight, no need for Ewles and Smyth to see much ice this evening. I also really liked the Gerrior-Gardiner-Sirman line on the forecheck and would like to see Cameron roll that line out this evening too. Up front, we're in 3-line territory. Foster (who I thought was quite good Saturday) and Barlas (who must lead the OHL playoffs in number of times getting rocked per 60) can take the odd shift here and there to give the other wingers a break.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The onus will be on Ottawa I think to try and set the tone early and to do whatever they can to get out to an early lead. An effort similar to what they put forth in games 3 and 4 in Peterborough will not suffice tonight and their season will be over. That may cost them some odd-man rushes early, so hopefully Donoso is on his game. Truthfully, as good as Ottawa played during the 3rd period on Saturday, also, Peterborough for some reason suddenly stopped executing their gameplan that had been so successful the entire series up to the end of the 2nd period in game 5.

If Peterborough can refocus and get back to doing what they had been doing so well before the 3rd period in game 5, they should have the advantage. They were the better team through the better part of 5 games. However, I can see reasons why Ottawa can continue to shift the momentum and bring everyone back to Ottawa for game 7. They might think that Simpson (a huge reason why Peterborough is up 3-2 in this series) is rattled from the last game. Ottawa may have finally found an offensive formula that works against Peterborough's defense. The line combinations and D pairings were all clicking, with contributions from everyone in the lineup. Like others on this board, I thought Peterborough's timeout was ill-timed and Wilson's demeanor on the bench left a lot to be desired. The players were rattled and in my view Wilson did not help matters. Does that carry over into game 6? Conversely, Ottawa will be going into the game tonight confident. They need to capitalize on that early.

Tactically, I thought Mintyukov was very strong at activating offensively in the 1st and 3rd periods on Saturday. He was creating opportunities on many of his shifts. Oh, you're telling me he was paired with an actual capable defensive D-man in Matier to cover for him - what a coincidence! We should be in 5 D territory tonight, no need for Ewles and Smyth to see much ice this evening. I also really liked the Gerrior-Gardiner-Sirman line on the forecheck and would like to see Cameron roll that line out this evening too. Up front, we're in 3-line territory. Foster (who I thought was quite good Saturday) and Barlas (who must lead the OHL playoffs in number of times getting rocked per 60) can take the odd shift here and there to give the other wingers a break.

I’d like to expand a little on what you touched on.

1> Most of us knew they were going to have to condense the lines at some point. It took too long for Cameron to adapt. It’s unfortunate, but at least he did it going into last game.
2> Has Peterborough outplayed Ottawa? Yes! BUT! If not for the stellar play by Simpson making a handful of game savers, we could be looking at a different series result right now. As poorly as Ottawa has played, I would suggest Simpson has outplayed Donoso and if even one of those huge saves were goals, we’d have had games going into OT.

Those are two key points. If Ottawa has condensed lines and are effective with solid goaltending, there is no reason why they cannot come out with a win this evening. They need 60 minutes of playoff hockey and Donoso needs to stand tall.

Race Dawg

LEAFS SUCK!!
Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Wow what the hell happened? Been out this evening and just got home. 5-1??? So many games to get caught up on. Oh well I see the Leafs are losing lol

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Wow what the hell happened? Been out this evening and just got home. 5-1??? So many games to get caught up on. Oh well I see the Leafs are losing lol
5-4 final. Cameron waited one goal too long to yank Donoso. Lockhart scored some of the easiest goals of his life with Donoso lying on his face in the crease.

At the start of the series, I thought that Ottawa's biggest weakness, compared to Peterborough, would be goaltending and that was the case. Simpson was far more reliable.

Race Dawg

LEAFS SUCK!!
Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Fitting loss and reflective of this series. Motivation, consistency and drive for this team was missing for most of this series.

Ottawa got what they deserved the first 5 games and as I missed most of this game but too little too late.

Winning the regular season means jack shit if you don't get to the big dance. Why do you guys in Ottawa put up with that shit. Anyway stick a fork in it, they're done! 😀

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Fitting loss and reflective of this series. Motivation, consistency and drive for this team was missing for most of this series.

Ottawa got what they deserved the first 5 games and as I missed most of this game but too little too late.

Winning the regular season means jack shit if you don't get to the big dance. Why do you guys in Ottawa put up with that shit. Anyway stick a fork in it, they're done! 😀
Well, we will have to agree to disagree. Winning the regular season championship means consistent, strong play over 6 months. The Memorial Cup is a TV tournament and getting there involves luck and persistent good play over six weeks. A bit of a crap shoot really and it seems to favour the host team a lot of the time. They make a good story usually and TV guys love a good story.

I put a lot of store in that regular season performance. If I have to sit through 40 games, they should be good games.

I am disappointed tonight, but tomorrow, I'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad