Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
THe bottom line is that the players we drafted to be the big guns and provide leadership in the playoffs have yet to do it.
This team looks worn out and beat.

The Petes are not a better team. If they were they would have been in the hunt for 1st but they never were.

They are not a faster team.

The big difference in this round is not the players but the coaches.

Peterborough realized that they could not play run and gun with us so they went with what has worked every time they get up against a better offensive team.

They play a defensive system that does not allow for shots on the net and keeps the other team off balance.

n the regular season fans would kill the coach if he played every home game like this but in the playoffs it is amazing.
Similar to what OMG said, the fact that anyone is praising the Petes' coaching and defensive system now is ironic given that both the defense and coaching has been a main criticism all season, including from yours truly .
Other have noted here that the 67s alleged injuries and relative youthfulness have played a factor in their struggle vs the Petes and I agree.

Another key way to explain this series so far is the difference in energy on the ice. The Petes have consistently won puck battles in the dirty areas and I wouldn't be surprised if those 67s alleged injuries are a factor there along with the overall smaller size of the 67s players.

While the Petes are encouraged to play physical (honestly they rarely draft non-physical players) I rarely see 67s players making hits or playing aggressively. Matier and Pinelli are an exception perhaps there and I did see either Gerrior or Rohrer (for some reason I get these guys mixed up) take a big hit and then proceed to nail Spearing in the corner. They need more of that. (but could you do it next year cause I really want the Petes to win :)

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Lots of side stepping around the principle issue, which is a lack of physicality in the 67's lineup. Some may call this experience as often a more veteran player has the tools to battle through a check or create separation. With Boucher in and out of the lineup, they needed to add players that could play a heavy game, separate players from the puck and win puck battles along the wall; they didn't.

The Petes aren't playing a defensive system, they are just not forcing the play into the soft areas where Ottawa usually capitalizes with their speed. Instead the Petes are holding the puck and forcing Ottawa to engage and play small ice games, zone to zone. Its a physical style of game, that Ottawa is not built to play.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Lots of side stepping around the principle issue, which is a lack of physicality in the 67's lineup. Some may call this experience as often a more veteran player has the tools to battle through a check or create separation. With Boucher in and out of the lineup, they needed to add players that could play a heavy game, separate players from the puck and win puck battles along the wall; they didn't.

The Petes aren't playing a defensive system, they are just not forcing the play into the soft areas where Ottawa usually capitalizes with their speed. Instead the Petes are holding the puck and forcing Ottawa to engage and play small ice games, zone to zone. Its a physical style of game, that Ottawa is not built to play.

This is what I expected from North Bay. I didn’t expect it from Peterborough based on their inconsistent play during the season.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
This is what I expected from North Bay. I didn’t expect it from Peterborough based on their inconsistent play during the season.
Its the 2nd time in recent history that the 67's failed to address the fundamental principle of physicality which is frustrating. Whether the Petes or NB the path through the East was known. With the draft this weekend hopefully there is some thought to addressing this.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Its the 2nd time in recent history that the 67's failed to address the fundamental principle of physicality which is frustrating. Whether the Petes or NB the path through the East was known. With the draft this weekend hopefully there is some thought to addressing this.
@OHL4Life said it best when discussing draft rankings. It is better to draft the bigger players early because you won’t get good ones later. If you don’t land on the bigger kids through the draft, you pay through the nose to acquire them later.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Let's face it 67s fans had to be optimistic about this series seeing how the Petes team could not seem to get it all together. The Petes loaded up but did not seem to execute as a cohesive unit. We had success during the year but it was not like the playoff grind.

When you look at it realistically the Petes have a total of 12 02s and 03s. We on the other hand have a total of 7. The maturity, experience and playoff battle readiness makes a big difference coming from your group. Boyd's decision to go after Morrison and Minty but not to add a couple of other experienced players cost us in the end. (Like 15 draft picks) Sometimes you have to also move roster players to get the required players needed to balance your roster..

Size is another issue for the 67s when it comes to the playoff grind and keeping the other team honest as we are really lacking in this department. You need complementary players to to play with your speedy young forwards.

To the Petes supporters your team has really neutralized our speed and kudos to the coaching staff. Good luck to your team as you battle the Batallion or the Colts. I know one thing either team will be a difficult hill to climb.
Geez analyser I know it looks bleak but this series is not over yet!

Reactions: NoQuit67s

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Geez analyser I know it looks bleak but this series is not over yet!
Well I know it is not over but we are hanging on by a thread. Come on we can fantasize all we want but the future is bleak. We cannot even get to the net with shots or players so how are we going to score. A miracle will have to happen.

Reactions: Race Dawg

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I see ranked 21 and 22 for the OHL draft are a couple of big boys. Addy a forward who is 6ft 4 205 and Brzusteiwz a D who is 6 ft 200.

Should the talent be there it would be nice to grab at least one.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I know you are pointing to the Petes speed but if we are being completely honest, the Petes speed hasn’t killed Ottawa at all. In four games, the 67’s have given up 10 goals (plus 2 EN). The issue for Ottawa is offence. They haven’t been able to break through the Petes defence. Spearing was always going to be a wildcard. He’s been often injured and has not lived up to his potential all season. But, he is a playoff type guy and he has been great at clogging the middle and net front.

Additionally, Simpson has made some ridiculous saves. If Simpson were average, these games would be going to OT at worst and then who knows?

I know the shot totals don’t flatter Ottawa but the funny part is they have controlled a lot of the puck possession in the series, barring game 4. Game 4 was horrible for Ottawa and yet it was essentially a 2-1 game.

I know you have an affinity towards the Petes offence and speed but to be honest, their offence has not been a difference maker IMO. It has been their defence and goaltending that has stood out. That was not something I would have expected coming into this series based on the results of their regular season. Even the Sudbury series was more defence and goaltending. The Petes have only scored 25 goals over 8 games in the playoffs. Discounting the EN goals, they are under 3 goals per game. IMO if I am pointing to a disappointing area for them, it is their offence and forwards not generating enough chances. As you have pointed out int he past,t hey tend to be happy shooting from the perimeter. They’ve been fortunate to score goals from the perimeter this series. The 67’s have not been as fortunate.

This is not to say the Petes have not been the better team overall. They have. I just feel differently as to the areas of the games that have been the more impactful for the Petes than you seem to feel.
The Petes speed is stifling the ‘67s, there is no time or open player to pass the puck into a prime scoring position. Morrison & Tolnai could have a month off and still be too slow to have their normal effect vs the Petes imo.

I said nothing of the Petes offence.
Both goalies have been good.

Race Dawg

LEAFS SUCK!!
Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
There is an old adage that you can't hit what you can't catch. The 67's were a reasonably fast team during the regular season. Either the 67's have lost their horses or you gotta give a huge amount of credit for pulling off a potential upset like this....

Reactions: Section5Petes

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I strongly suspect that Logan Morrison is hurt. When a player completely drops off the face of the earth as he has the last two games, you know that something is up...

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I strongly suspect that Logan Morrison is hurt. When a player completely drops off the face of the earth as he has the last two games, you know that something is up...
Yeah, vs a fired up very fast Petes team Morrison doesn’t have the speed to make something happen on his own and no ‘67s player is getting the puck to him.
When/if Morrison does get the puck in a good spot, it will likely result in a good scoring chance.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah, vs a fired up very fast Petes team Morrison doesn’t have the speed to make something happen on his own and no ‘67s player is getting the puck to him.
When/if Morrison does get the puck in a good spot, it will likely result in a good scoring chance.

Yes, because with all of Morrisona extensive success in the past, he has NEVER faced a team as fast and good as Peterborough….

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Yes, because with all of Morrisona extensive success in the past, he has NEVER faced a team as fast and good as Peterborough….
You don't make it to the M Cup and not see high levels of talent.

I am surprised that you of all people have jumped off the bandwagon considering that you were one of the main people saying he was the player we needed to be our No 1 center.

Give the guy and the team a break.

This is not a fast Petes team it is has been stated a physical Petes team. This is not the first time they went against a high-scoring team and upset them Just ask the front fans from when Bennet and crew were playing.

I do agree though we have a lot of scoring and point-producing players we are missing a line that is a grind line that will wear the other team down.

We need to find some players with size. When was the last time the 67 drafted a first-round forward that was over 6 feet.

I hate to go back to this but could it be that the 67's are not gearing up for Cups but are building teams that are exciting during the regular season to attract fans, I don't think it is the right idea but then again who knows

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The last time we had any players that were over 100 pim and had any toughness was Salituro, Brendan Bell and Gustavsen 9 years ago under Byrne.

I am not saying that you need a goon line but consider the difference it makes when you have that player n the ice that can resolve issues and get you points. They lack the player that the other team watches for that the ref's keep an eye on. The guy that can turn around a game with one hit.
Not saying Lance was the MVP, but does anyone think that Ottawa could have beaten Calgary if he had not gone out and hit the Calgary player? (sorry forgot his name)
Yes, the OHL is a finesse league but you also need those guys that will hit anything that moves and don't care how big it is.

Take a look at the players we draft they are all finesse players.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
The Petes speed is stifling the ‘67s, there is no time or open player to pass the puck into a prime scoring position. Morrison & Tolnai could have a month off and still be too slow to have their normal effect vs the Petes imo.

I said nothing of the Petes offence.
Both goalies have been good.
yup.. i watched the first two games and caught a Petes practice on the off day at TD and their forwards are fas ! And that doesn’t necessarily always show in their offensive output but rather

I am surprised that you of all people have jumped off the bandwagon considering that you were one of the main people saying he was the player we needed to be our No 1 center.

This is not a fast Petes team it is has been stated a physical Petes team. This is not the first time they went against a high-scoring team and upset them Just ask the front fans from when Bennet and crew were playing.

I do agree though we have a lot of scoring and point-producing players we are missing a line that is a grind line that will wear the other team down.

We need to find some players with size. When was the last time the 67 drafted a first-round forward that was over 6 feet.

I hate to go back to this but could it be that the 67's are not gearing up for Cups but are building teams that are exciting during the regular season to attract fans, I don't think it is the right idea but then again who knows
If you’ve watched the games - and seen a Petes practice as i did on their off day here at TD- and dont come away marveling at the pace their F corps play at then ..lol..we’ll have to agree to disagree .

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Right, I’m not buying the third wave of ‘67s influenza. The Petes forwards are simply faster and better over all players.
You know I respect most of your opinions but holding Morrison off the scoresheet for three straight games and saying it is directly because the Petes are essentially the best team he’s ever played against is silly. You know that. The Petes are playing well but Morrison missed at least three weeks leading into the playoffs. It isn’t unrealistic to assume whatever was bothering him enough to miss 3+ weeks has resurfaced. That is more probable than the Petes being a freight train.

Again, no disrespect meant to the Petes. They’ve played well, but something is wrong with Morrison. You don’t just fall off the face of the Earth. He’s not his normal self.

I can understand the vast majority of the rest of the forwards being affected (and they have) because most of them are rather young but this isn’t Morrison’s first rodeo. 2 of the teams Hamilton played last year would easily handle this Petes team. North Bay and Windsor last year for sure. Probably not Missy though.

I don’t understand what you are saying. When did I jump off the Morrison bandwagon? I haven’t jumped off any player bandwagon. I’ve been consistent with respect to assessing all 67s players all season. If anything, it was Gerrior that I admired he was better than I thought. I haven’t downgraded anyone.

Reactions: NoQuit67s

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The last time we had any players that were over 100 pim and had any toughness was Salituro, Brendan Bell and Gustavsen 9 years ago under Byrne.

I am not saying that you need a goon line but consider the difference it makes when you have that player n the ice that can resolve issues and get you points. They lack the player that the other team watches for that the ref's keep an eye on. The guy that can turn around a game with one hit.
Not saying Lance was the MVP, but does anyone think that Ottawa could have beaten Calgary if he had not gone out and hit the Calgary player? (sorry forgot his name)
Yes, the OHL is a finesse league but you also need those guys that will hit anything that moves and don't care how big it is.

Take a look at the players we draft they are all finesse players.

You don’t need goons but it is better to at least have some size.

yup.. i watched the first two games and caught a Petes practice on the off day at TD and their forwards are fas ! And that doesn’t necessarily always show in their offensive output but rather

If you’ve watched the games - and seen a Petes practice as i did on their off day here at TD- and dont come away marveling at the pace their F corps play at then ..lol..we’ll have to agree to disagree .

Individual speed is good for sure. But if the team can play at a fast pace, it is better. The 67a played at a fast pace this season. Pick movement and quick decisions make a team fast. Busting around the outrides as an individual only comes into play a handful of times. This Pete’s team has not deployed a speed game. They have moved the puck fairly well but their defensive zone coverage has been great.

Reactions: beastintheeast

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Here’s a little write up about Whitehead since he is a somewhat surprising American.

In simple terms, Whitehead is a very smart playmaking forward that uses his speed and playmaking to consistently create scoring chances for his team. Whitehead is an excellent skater that uses his speed and explosiveness to keep defenders on their toes. He regularly makes incredibly intelligent plays that’ll leave you wondering how he saw that lane - it’s as if he has eyes in the back of head.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Here’s a little write up about Whitehead since he is a somewhat surprising American.

In simple terms, Whitehead is a very smart playmaking forward that uses his speed and playmaking to consistently create scoring chances for his team. Whitehead is an excellent skater that uses his speed and explosiveness to keep defenders on their toes. He regularly makes incredibly intelligent plays that’ll leave you wondering how he saw that lane - it’s as if he has eyes in the back of head.

Brzustewicz seems to have dropped quite a bit. I know he was look at the USNTDP but didn’t expect him to fall this far. Most seemed to have him around the late top 10. Any thoughts on this late pick and why he dropped?

EDIT:
Do you think this is set up as a defected player where Kitchener trades for his rights or is this straight up?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Brzustewicz seems to have dropped quite a bit. I know he was look at the USNTDP but didn’t expect him to fall this far. Most seemed to have him around the late top 10. Any thoughts on this late pick and why he dropped?

EDIT:
Do you think this is set up as a defected player where Kitchener trades for his rights or is this straight up?
Many mocked him around 10 becuase of his brother and that Kitchener selected 10&11.

Some question his decision making and his off puck game is quite weak.

I could definitely see a scenario where Ottawa takes advantage of Kitchener but I think he‘ll show. He has stated he wanted to play in the OHL, not Kitchener.

Reactions: dirty12 and OMG67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

EDIT:
I think a lot may depend on who in the USHL drafts him. Do his parents see him making the NHL or playing uni hockey

why do we keep drafting midgets 5'8" center

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think a lot may depend on who in the USHL drafts him. Do his parents see him making the NHL or playing uni hockey

why do we keep drafting midgets 5'8" center

Weak class at centre This year. Ottawa needs a top centre. They will have to draft size around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad