Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If I am Smyth Sirman Ewle and horner I am starting to wonder where I fit in.
And they even haven't signed our first rounder yet! If they do we have
Left D's: Mayich, Marelli,Smyth, Sirman, Dietsch
Right D's: Mews, Ewles, Horner, Brzustewicz

That's a lot of bodies! I know Cameron stated he likes to keep 8 D for practises but you can't sit 19 y.o. and Ewles, Horner will want icetime as 18y.o.. Then you typically don't sit your first rounders at least not often so Mews , Brew ( my new easier name for him) ain't sitting. And Marelli is not sitting as he's proven to be very good imo. So that leaves Dietsch that might have a redshirt season or go to tier 2. Maybe Sirman moves to forward full time? Otherwise I think one of him or Smyth will be traded...maybe both by the deadline as we have extras on the left. Ewles and Horner as right side shots are likely safe imo considering they will be eighteen and both played well last year. I am intrigued by Horner from what I saw in limited showings...has some snarl.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Pinelli Rohrer Stonehouse
Beck Gardner Gerrior
Barlas Euro Dever
Yanni Whitehead Hilton
Foster Caden

Mayich Mews
Marelli Brzutewicz
Dietsch Ewles
Sirman Horner

Donoso
Blackwood
Nelson

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Pinelli Rohrer Stonehouse
Beck Gardner Gerrior
Barlas Euro Dever
Yanni Whitehead Hilton
Foster Caden

Mayich Mews
Marelli Brzutewicz
Dietsch Ewles
Sirman Horner

Donoso
Blackwood
Nelson

A little aggressive on the 16 year olds. Can only have four. Donoso over MacK?

They will make trades for sure. The draft cupboard is bare in 25 and 26. They need to restock and there is a logjam all over the place at virtually every position.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
A little aggressive on the 16-year-olds. Can only have four. Donoso over MacK?

They will make trades for sure. The draft cupboard is bare in 25 and 26. They need to restock and there is a logjam all over the place at virtually every position.
Donoso over Mack to start the year yes as we should be shopping him. Best way to do that is to play him and show his value.

4 16 year old in line up is reasonable. Consider that these are our top 4 picks. Nelson backing up Mack seems like a good plan as I really do not see a whole lot of goalies and he was a 4th round draft pick.

Hilton will be 17 when the season starts.

What we do not have a logjam at is center which could be interesting from a Barlas point of view.

You said we needed to build and this is definitely a lineup that we can build with LOL

Trade pieces are
Rorher Donoso Mayich Beck if he can stay healthy

As to Beck, I think if he has a serious injury again this year he should simply take his gear go home and get ready for university

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Donoso over Mack to start the year yes as we should be shopping him. Best way to do that is to play him and show his value.

4 16 year old in line up is reasonable. Consider that these are our top 4 picks. Nelson backing up Mack seems like a good plan as I really do not see a whole lot of goalies and he was a 4th round draft pick.

Hilton will be 17 when the season starts.

What we do not have a logjam at is center which could be interesting from a Barlas point of view.

You said we needed to build and this is definitely a lineup that we can build with LOL

Trade pieces are
Rorher Donoso Mayich Beck if he can stay healthy

As to Beck, I think if he has a serious injury again this year he should simply take his gear go home and get ready for university

You have five 16 year olds listed on your proposed lineup to start the season. We can only have four. Rules are rules. Unless there is a goalie exception I am not aware of.

It isn’t a rebuild. It is a reset. Slightly different. The goal is to still be competitive. We don‘t want to finish bottom of standings. In light of that, it isn’t about being cavalier about it and force it. Let the market dictate the moves to a certain extent. Do what is right for the graduating players and allow them to chase a Championship if they want.

I wouldn’t trade Mayich this year. He will likely be an integral OA the following season. He will also help mentor the younger guys for a full season like MAtier did last season. I’d keep the four potential OAs for 2024-25 we are trying to decide between and then if all of them return the following season, pick the one to unload at the start of that season. So, I’d keep all of MacK, Stonehouse, Gerrior and Mayich.

I’d concentrate on moving Donoso early. Teams without goaltending that also have an OA spot open will move on the OA goalie early. Remember, Simpson probably is available next season as well. Donoso and Simpson on the board at the same time will deflate the market a bit. So, it is more about getting MacK the net which he deserves in his 19 year old year.

Beck and Rohrer are more likely to be deadline moves. Keep them as long as possible to accumulate points in the standings. Let their market develop. If they get injured, so be it. To me, if you want full value you need to roll the dice on their health and push it to the deadline. Rohrer is an Import so likely valued less unless he puts up a monster first half. It may be better to keep him depending on the market. He needs to find his way to the wing though. He was nowhere near competitive enough at centre and he doesnt’ project as a centre at the next level. Do right by him and get him on the wing.

Going into the season, the defence needs to be resolved. Move the guys that are expendable. Don’t move the guys most valuable. Select your lineup and move on from the ones that aren’t on it no matter what the return is. Do right by the players by giving them a spot to play as open up the spots for the ones you want to play. Win-win regardless of return.

Hopefully we can get some picks back to get the pick table back to even. Be competitive. Get into that 4-6 place zone. Give the right ice to the young players without giving them the wrong ice. Put them in situations they will succeed in.

With any luck, we will have a surprise signing. I know I say that every offseason but sooner or later we will get a bit lucky!

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You have five 16 year olds listed on your proposed lineup to start the season. We can only have four. Rules are rules. Unless there is a goalie exception I am not aware of.

It isn’t a rebuild. It is a reset. Slightly different. The goal is to still be competitive. We don‘t want to finish bottom of standings. In light of that, it isn’t about being cavalier about it and force it. Let the market dictate the moves to a certain extent. Do what is right for the graduating players and allow them to chase a Championship if they want.

I wouldn’t trade Mayich this year. He will likely be an integral OA the following season. He will also help mentor the younger guys for a full season like MAtier did last season. I’d keep the four potential OAs for 2024-25 we are trying to decide between and then if all of them return the following season, pick the one to unload at the start of that season. So, I’d keep all of MacK, Stonehouse, Gerrior and Mayich.

I’d concentrate on moving Donoso early. Teams without goaltending that also have an OA spot open will move on the OA goalie early. Remember, Simpson probably is available next season as well. Donoso and Simpson on the board at the same time will deflate the market a bit. So, it is more about getting MacK the net which he deserves in his 19 year old year.

Beck and Rohrer are more likely to be deadline moves. Keep them as long as possible to accumulate points in the standings. Let their market develop. If they get injured, so be it. To me, if you want full value you need to roll the dice on their health and push it to the deadline. Rohrer is an Import so likely valued less unless he puts up a monster first half. It may be better to keep him depending on the market. He needs to find his way to the wing though. He was nowhere near competitive enough at centre and he doesnt’ project as a centre at the next level. Do right by him and get him on the wing.

Going into the season, the defence needs to be resolved. Move the guys that are expendable. Don’t move the guys most valuable. Select your lineup and move on from the ones that aren’t on it no matter what the return is. Do right by the players by giving them a spot to play as open up the spots for the ones you want to play. Win-win regardless of return.

Hopefully we can get some picks back to get the pick table back to even. Be competitive. Get into that 4-6 place zone. Give the right ice to the young players without giving them the wrong ice. Put them in situations they will succeed in.

With any luck, we will have a surprise signing. I know I say that every offseason but sooner or later we will get a bit lucky!
OOPS didn't notice I think training camp will decide who is between Yanni and Nelson. If Nelson is ready for the OHL as a backup and some of the other forwards come into camp ready to up their game he could be the odd man out.

If a different goalie shows up and they can play Blackwood and have a back up that is reasonable then Nelson might go to the CCHL.

That could be the big fight at camp. Who is number 5 16 years old?
And of course it could be a D if they think it is right.

Vinnie has to stay as a center. For no other reason than we do not have 2 competent centers. If a couple of players show up and show that they are ready then you might see him moved.

Beck to me is a dark horse. Yes, he can add to a team but he has to get a full season if he is injured then again he simply needs to be sent home for the season or traded for whatever we can get although that will not be much.

Donoso is interesting in that I agree an early trade would make sense BUT it depends on what the market has to offer. It might make sense to go with him and MACK up to near the deadline if they can not get a good offer.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OOPS didn't notice I think training camp will decide who is between Yanni and Nelson. If Nelson is ready for the OHL as a backup and some of the other forwards come into camp ready to up their game he could be the odd man out.

If a different goalie shows up and they can play Blackwood and have a back up that is reasonable then Nelson might go to the CCHL.

That could be the big fight at camp. Who is number 5 16 years old?
And of course it could be a D if they think it is right.

Vinnie has to stay as a center. For no other reason than we do not have 2 competent centers. If a couple of players show up and show that they are ready then you might see him moved.

Beck to me is a dark horse. Yes, he can add to a team but he has to get a full season if he is injured then again he simply needs to be sent home for the season or traded for whatever we can get although that will not be much.

Donoso is interesting in that I agree an early trade would make sense BUT it depends on what the market has to offer. It might make sense to go with him and MACK up to near the deadline if they can not get a good offer.

If you want full value for Rohrer, play him on the wing. Play him as a centre and you won’t get anything worth a damn as a point per game Import. He needs to be on pace for over 80 points at the deadline to get the right value. If he is on pace for 60 points again, it does Ottawa absolutely no good. They won’t get value and won’t trade him. And to be honest, I’m not sure he is very tradable anyway. He’s probably worth more to the 67’s than as a draft picks return. Play him at centre and that becomes a certainty.

You listed Brzestewicz, Whitehead, Dietcsh, Yanni, and Nelson. That’s five. I’d be flabbergasted if Nelson, as a 16 year old gets the nod as the backup. Pleasantly surprised but flabbergasted nonetheless. I think they will be hard pressed to carry four 16 year olds pre-deadline. If they sell off players at the deadline then maybe that opens up some space.

I have no issues with Beck. If he remains healthy, he will produce. He will be well sought after by contenders with open OA spots. IF he is injured, he is injured. There really isn’t anything in between. The 67’s really don’t have a choice. They have to wait until at least mid-December. Trade him early and you chop his value in half.

Trading Donoso early is about doing what is right for him and MacK. It is not like we didn’t have a capable young goalie walk from the team when he had to share the net with an OA goalie before. The last thing Ottawa needs are disgruntled goalies. The return for OA goalies isn’t really a big deal anyway. It is not like you are going to squeeze out a significantly higher return by waiting. Maybe you get a 3rd and 5th instead of a 3rd and 4th…. With Simpson on the market, they play would be more for him. He’s probably more capable of bringing in a 2nd+ than Donoso. A similar return to Cranley is more likley witht he exception that it wouldn’t be conditional 3rd and 5th. It would be those picks with no conditions.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If you want full value for Rohrer, play him on the wing. Play him as a centre and you won’t get anything worth a damn as a point per game Import. He needs to be on pace for over 80 points at the deadline to get the right value. If he is on pace for 60 points again, it does Ottawa absolutely no good. They won’t get value and won’t trade him. And to be honest, I’m not sure he is very tradable anyway. He’s probably worth more to the 67’s than as a draft picks return. Play him at centre and that becomes a certainty.

You listed Brzestewicz, Whitehead, Dietcsh, Yanni, and Nelson. That’s five. I’d be flabbergasted if Nelson, as a 16 year old gets the nod as the backup. Pleasantly surprised but flabbergasted nonetheless. I think they will be hard pressed to carry four 16 year olds pre-deadline. If they sell off players at the deadline then maybe that opens up some space.

I have no issues with Beck. If he remains healthy, he will produce. He will be well sought after by contenders with open OA spots. IF he is injured, he is injured. There really isn’t anything in between. The 67’s really don’t have a choice. They have to wait until at least mid-December. Trade him early and you chop his value in half.

Trading Donoso early is about doing what is right for him and MacK. It is not like we didn’t have a capable young goalie walk from the team when he had to share the net with an OA goalie before. The last thing Ottawa needs are disgruntled goalies. The return for OA goalies isn’t really a big deal anyway. It is not like you are going to squeeze out a significantly higher return by waiting. Maybe you get a 3rd and 5th instead of a 3rd and 4th…. With Simpson on the market, they play would be more for him. He’s probably more capable of bringing in a 2nd+ than Donoso. A similar return to Cranley is more likley witht he exception that it wouldn’t be conditional 3rd and 5th. It would be those picks with no conditions.
I agree but am not sure a team is really going to know it needs Donoso until a week or 2 into the season.

As for Nelson, I am sorry but looking at the other goalies we have in the system I really do not see anyone that is any better than he might be. I agree it would be a surprise but then again yo never know we really did not expect Mack K to be s good as he was the first year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree but am not sure a team is really going to know it needs Donoso until a week or 2 into the season.

As for Nelson, I am sorry but looking at the other goalies we have in the system I really do not see anyone that is any better than he might be. I agree it would be a surprise but then again yo never know we really did not expect Mack K to be s good as he was the first year.

MacKenzie was a 17 year old rookie that ended up injured. That opened the door for Donoso to come in.

It is beyond rare to have a 16 year old rookie playing regularly. Sometimes when you have multiple goalie injuries “maybe” or of the kid was a 1st rounder.

The 67s have a seven drafted goalies inside the 2020 to 2022 drafts. They shouldn’t need to go to a 2023 draft player to find a backup.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
MacKenzie was a 17 year old rookie that ended up injured. That opened the door for Donoso to come in.

It is beyond rare to have a 16 year old rookie playing regularly. Sometimes when you have multiple goalie injuries “maybe” or of the kid was a 1st rounder.

The 67s have a seven drafted goalies inside the 2020 to 2022 drafts. They shouldn’t need to go to a 2023 draft player to find a backup.
Agreed, but what happens if the 16-year-old outplays all the others? That is all I am saying there is a reason that he was drafted when he was. Looking at the stats none of the ones drafted prior have shown alot. I am just saying that it is possible that Boyd will have to choose between sending a D down to a CCHL team or sending a goalie. That seems to be the battle.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agreed, but what happens if the 16-year-old outplays all the others? That is all I am saying there is a reason that he was drafted when he was. Looking at the stats none of the ones drafted prior have shown alot. I am just saying that it is possible that Boyd will have to choose between sending a D down to a CCHL team or sending a goalie. That seems to be the battle.

He was a 4th round pick. It’s not like he was a high pick. First round? Yes. Fourth? It’s a big stretch.

Parsons was a 4th rounder last year. Duncan a 6th.

Connor Shibley is an ‘03 who put up solid numbers last season in the CCHL. He’s probably more capable of coming in. Any of the highly touted goalies they picked last season would be ideal if they could get any of them signed.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Elilte is showing Parsons committed to Providence
Duncan maybe good numbers in 6 games in GOJHL
Mainville in NAVAN was good but he is 18 how does tht help development.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Elilte is showing Parsons committed to Providence
Duncan maybe good numbers in 6 games in GOJHL
Mainville in NAVAN was good but he is 18 how does tht help development.

I didn’t know our objective was to get a backup goalie to develop. I thought it was to get a capable backup and watch MacK start 45+ games this year and next….

You are advocating for a 16 year old goalie. That is almost unheard of in this league. Keep banging that drum.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I didn’t know our objective was to get a backup goalie to develop. I thought it was to get a capable backup and watch MacK start 45+ games this year and next….

You are advocating for a 16 year old goalie. That is almost unheard of in this league. Keep banging that drum.
You said it is capable back up. If the 16-year-old is the most capable, then he should get the position.

As I said at the start all I ma saying is that if he shines and shows promise, then Boyd and Cameron will have a tough decision to make for the 4th 16-year-old.

Training camp is going to be interesting.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You said it is capable back up. If the 16-year-old is the most capable, then he should get the position.

As I said at the start all I ma saying is that if he shines and shows promise, then Boyd and Cameron will have a tough decision to make for the 4th 16-year-old.

A first rounder would and maybe the odd early 2nd rounder would get a look. Those are players that come highly touted and are picked out of the normal goalie picking range. Ivankovic was a 1st rounder for Missy. He will play. Oshawa picked Gravelle at 32. He may play. Nelson picked as the 4th goalie in the draft (63rd) is very very unlikely to play as a 16 year old. It’s not impossible because like you say, if he shows up and wins a spot, he wins a spot. Anything can happen. But, you simply cannot hang your hat on it. You’d have to take that as a pleasant surprise, especially when there will be goalies from the 2022 draft at camp as well.

If Brzstewicz signs and all indications are that he will, the 67’s will have signed their top 4 players from the draft. It is unlikely that the goalie (5th pick) would unseat any of those four players for the four underage spots.

If the 67’s are trying to take a slight step back and retool a bit, acquiring a backup goalie capable of playing one game during 3 in 3 weekends would not be costly at all. A 6th to 8th round pick would be the norm. If they trade Rohrer, they could always snag an Import goalie as well on the trade market.

There are so many reasonable options before getting to the 16 year old rookie developing while playing 15 games.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The 2022 draft was supposedly a very good one for goalies, the first selected was with the Steelheads from the start. I think he and maybe the Erie rookie were the only A cards used on 16 yr old goalies.
The 4th round goalie could be the 4th or 10th ‘07 born signed by the ‘67s and get a few starts with the ‘67s and 20-25 more with an affiliate jr team.
NB signed 7-‘06 players including a goalie. The first pick played all season, the second 30-35 games, the third dressed for ~15, the others got into 1-3 games. There is a fair chance Niagara has four true rookies accumulate 10 games, probably Sarnia, Kitchener, perhaps Flint having had loaded 2022 & 2023 drafts sell and make time for rookies…that might all.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
A first rounder would and maybe the odd early 2nd rounder would get a look. Those are players that come highly touted and are picked out of the normal goalie picking range. Ivankovic was a 1st rounder for Missy. He will play. Oshawa picked Gravelle at 32. He may play. Nelson picked as the 4th goalie in the draft (63rd) is very very unlikely to play as a 16 year old. It’s not impossible because like you say, if he shows up and wins a spot, he wins a spot. Anything can happen. But, you simply cannot hang your hat on it. You’d have to take that as a pleasant surprise, especially when there will be goalies from the 2022 draft at camp as well.

If Brzstewicz signs and all indications are that he will, the 67’s will have signed their top 4 players from the draft. It is unlikely that the goalie (5th pick) would unseat any of those four players for the four underage spots.

If the 67’s are trying to take a slight step back and retool a bit, acquiring a backup goalie capable of playing one game during 3 in 3 weekends would not be costly at all. A 6th to 8th round pick would be the norm. If they trade Rohrer, they could always snag an Import goalie as well on the trade market.

There are so many reasonable options before getting to the 16 year old rookie developing while playing 15 games.
I agree all those scenarios are possible.. I think though you have to look at what the stats say about the players we have in the system. You also have to look at our defence and to a point our wings.
The one thing that you may not have noticed is that while yes he was a technically 4th round pick Yanni was drafted at 62 and Nelson was drafted at 63 so I think that has to be consiered.

Also with the forwards that we have possbly coming back is Yanni a sure bet to ake the team?

It is al gong to depend on what Boyd sees and what phone calls he gets or makes.

We can say yes Donoso needs to be traded but what happens if no one calls about him? Same with the defence we have layers to be traded but what happens if there are no calls for anyone other than Mayich, Mews or Marelli?

AGAIN all I am saying is that with the current crop of goaltenders that we have they have to find the goalie that can play the odd game but if push comes to shove and Mack gets injured we need a goalie that can play. Therefore the best goalie in camp no matter age I would think would get the nod.

I am not saying he should get it what I am saying is if he comes in to camp hot it is going to make for a very interesting campo with a lot of decisions to be made.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We can say yes Donoso needs to be traded but what happens if no one calls about him?
For as long as I have followed the OHL there has always been a market for OA goalies. There will be a team out there with an open OA slot, and problems in goal - guarantee it.

Related, I have always felt that they should exempt goalies from OA rules - in other words, if you want to carry an OA goalie, he doesn't count towards your total. Goalies take longer to develop, and the OHL is supposed to be a development league. It makes perfect sense, yet Dave Branch won't hear of it...

Reactions: Bra Wavers

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
For as long as I have followed the OHL there has always been a market for OA goalies. There will be a team out there with an open OA slot, and problems in goal - guarantee it.

Related, I have always felt that they should exempt goalies from OA rules - in other words, if you want to carry an OA goalie, he doesn't count towards your total. Goalies take longer to develop, and the OHL is supposed to be a development league. It makes perfect sense, yet Dave Branch won't hear of it...

This has been a point of discussion for a little while now and I believe we are getting closer to that being a reality.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not counting OA goalies allowing some teams 4-OAs would cost spots of 16-17 yr old skaters. I think it is better for goalies, but might encourage more kids to give the USHL a shot. Kids won’t play jr two years waiting for their time in the OHL.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not counting OA goalies allowing some teams 4-OAs would cost spots of 16-17 yr old skaters. I think it is better for goalies, but might encourage more kids to give the USHL a shot. Kids won’t play jr two years waiting for their time in the OHL.

I think where the positive comes into play is the benefit of increased quality of play on ice. From an entertainment value perspective, it works great. It also adds a little developmental flexibility where it seems most needed and that is for goaltenders.

For the most part, skaters aren‘t affected much. Teams will still be in normal cycles. I wouldn’t anticipate teams retaining OA goalies. For example, Ottawa will try to move one specifically to make room for a 19 year old starter. I don’t think that trend would change. It would affect +/- 8 teams meaning 8 total additional OA spots for the league.

Additionally, the OA spots get expanded on teams that are more likely in the top half of the league for a competitive advantage OR would be in the bottom of the league for stable goaltending while they are developing young talent. Those teams would likely not have 3 additional OA’s because they are trying to bring young kids along and provide them icetime.

In light of that, if this were to come into effect, I could see maybe an additional 2 goalies on rosters per season compared to now? It wouldn’t affect things all that much but the counter argument would be that if it is inconsequential then why bother doing it at all. I believe that is the main argument for it being delayed to be honest.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think where the positive comes into play is the benefit of increased quality of play on ice. From an entertainment value perspective, it works great. It also adds a little developmental flexibility where it seems most needed and that is for goaltenders.

For the most part, skaters aren‘t affected much. Teams will still be in normal cycles. I wouldn’t anticipate teams retaining OA goalies. For example, Ottawa will try to move one specifically to make room for a 19 year old starter. I don’t think that trend would change. It would affect +/- 8 teams meaning 8 total additional OA spots for the league.

Additionally, the OA spots get expanded on teams that are more likely in the top half of the league for a competitive advantage OR would be in the bottom of the league for stable goaltending while they are developing young talent. Those teams would likely not have 3 additional OA’s because they are trying to bring young kids along and provide them icetime.

In light of that, if this were to come into effect, I could see maybe an additional 2 goalies on rosters per season compared to now? It wouldn’t affect things all that much but the counter argument would be that if it is inconsequential then why bother doing it at all. I believe that is the main argument for it being delayed to be honest.
I agree in a sense; more teams would carry four OAs up the Christmas break, but I’m not sure there would be more than 3-4 OA goalies afterwards.
I think it would mostly benefit wannabe contenders, and Belarusian & Russian OAs at this time.

Reactions: OMG67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad