Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Of course, you also had Saint John winning it as a host team despite being knocked out of their playoffs very early. I think the best way to think of the Memorial Cup is more like a showcase for talent and the CHL product rather than a way to determine the best team in junior hockey in Canada...

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Of course, you also had Saint John winning it as a host team despite being knocked out of their playoffs very early. I think the best way to think of the Memorial Cup is more like a showcase for talent and the CHL product rather than a way to determine the best team in junior hockey in Canada...
It is a TV showcase now. My first Cup was 1982 in Hull. No host team, double round-robin. Kitchener won with some kid named Bellows. Scott Stevens, Al MacInnis. Sherbrooke's Gerard Gallant. Portland's Ken Yaremchuk. Enormous defence on Portland. We've been to 20 of them since.

TV flexed its muscles in 2010 in Brandon. We had booked our travel and had a 6 AM flight home from Winnipeg on the Monday. TV controlled the schedule and the organizers wouldn't (or couldn't) confirm the final game time until TV could work around the NHL schedule. We ended up with a 2.5 hour drive at 10:30 Sunday night to get to Winnipeg on time. We booked tickets, accommodation, flights months in advance.

TV runs the show now. TV loves an underdog and a host that was beaten early is a great underdog. The host teams win too often, in my opinion, but it is what it is. It's not a championship. It's a TV reality show, with a host team to keep butts in seats for the pre-game show. We love to go and we'll likely go back starting in 2025.

The OHL team will be the underdog this year. There were 9 100-point teams in the CHL this year. The Q will send one, as will the West. The host team had 103 points. Six 100-point teams have been or will be eliminated. Honorable mention to NB with 99.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Yes. Very good analysis. I’ve always said the respective League Championships mean way more than the Memorial Cup. Hosy teams are the ones that do tend to overachieve for obvious reasons. Ottawa was int he same situation in 1999. Banged up and lost to Belleville. Had 4 weeks to heal and get prepared.

Reactions: lazyboy

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I do think the memorial cup means something, it’s like champions league in football… I don’t think fans would subordinate a champions league win to a premier league win?

There is something special in a team that has endured the hell of playoffs only to get back into a 4/5 game gauntlet. It may not always demonstrate the “best” team but all the teams that have won demonstrated an unusual quality of perseverance.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
It is a TV showcase now. My first Cup was 1982 in Hull. No host team, double round-robin. Kitchener won with some kid named Bellows. Scott Stevens, Al MacInnis. Sherbrooke's Gerard Gallant. Portland's Ken Yaremchuk. Enormous defence on Portland. We've been to 20 of them since.

TV flexed its muscles in 2010 in Brandon. We had booked our travel and had a 6 AM flight home from Winnipeg on the Monday. TV controlled the schedule and the organizers wouldn't (or couldn't) confirm the final game time until TV could work around the NHL schedule. We ended up with a 2.5 hour drive at 10:30 Sunday night to get to Winnipeg on time. We booked tickets, accommodation, flights months in advance.

TV runs the show now. TV loves an underdog and a host that was beaten early is a great underdog. The host teams win too often, in my opinion, but it is what it is. It's not a championship. It's a TV reality show, with a host team to keep butts in seats for the pre-game show. We love to go and we'll likely go back starting in 2025.

The OHL team will be the underdog this year. There were 9 100-point teams in the CHL this year. The Q will send one, as will the West. The host team had 103 points. Six 100-point teams have been or will be eliminated. Honorable mention to NB with 99.
In the Memorial Cup held in Peterborough in 1996. The Petes went into the Memorial Cup OHL Champions as the underdog. The Granby Predators and Brandon Wheat Kings both finished with over 100 points and the Guelph Storm who were the OHL Representative Team had 95 points to the Petes 79 points. The Petes won their round robin games against Granby and Guelph and lost to Brandon in overtime. They then went on beat Brandon in the semi final before losing the final in the fog bowl to Granby. While they did not win the Memorial Cup in the end they were very competitive in the Memorial Cup against teams that finished well ahead of them in the standings.

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
I was actually rooting for a Sarnia/North Bay final since I would love to see a new team represent the OHL in the Memorial Cup instead of the same old teams like London and Peterborough who both have been in those tournaments before.

The Petes were being written off in the media during the season after the acquisition of Avery Hayes, Owen Beck, Gavin White, and Brendan Othmann when the team struggled while the Hamilton Bulldogs, who acquired Sahil Panwar, Nick Lardis and draft picks as part of the Avery Hayes and Gavin White deal, were on a roll with Bulldogs thinking they won the trade over the Petes. The Petes though overcame those odds by beating the top two teams, our 67s and the Batalion to advance to to OHL final after finishing fourth and beating Sudbury in the first round of the playoffs. This Petes team after the acquisitions is well prepared for the playoffs.

As for the Knights, I thought that it would be their down year after a slow start earlier this season. But knowing Head Coach Dale Hunter, and how he has them playing an NHL/Pro hockey style, the Knights got on a roll midway in the season propelling them to be the 1st in their division ans 2nd place behind Windsor in the Western Conference. No surprise there.

It should be an interesting OHL final matchup between the Petes and Knights. It is also a battle of former Hamilton Bulldogs players who were part of the OHL Championship team last year. Ryan Winterton, George Diaco, and Ryan Humphrey for the Knights vs Avery Hayes and Gavin White for the Petes.

It all starts Thursday.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I do think the memorial cup means something, it’s like champions league in football… I don’t think fans would subordinate a champions league win to a premier league win?

There is something special in a team that has endured the hell of playoffs only to get back into a 4/5 game gauntlet. It may not always demonstrate the “best” team but all the teams that have won demonstrated an unusual quality of perseverance.

The Memorial cup isn’t meaningless but when you look at other similar tournaments like the NCAA Basketball or World Cup etc, the Memorial Cup is more of a CHL All-Star game than a championship of any true measure. First, they have the host team entered which makes it automatically a paper championship. They do that to ensure revenue generation. The whole Tourney feels like a Corporate party for their sponsors. Not that there is anything wrong with that and not that the Tourney isn’t entertaining. I really don’t think it holds anywhere near the water of the other high profile league championship tourneys. Even the OHL Cup for the Bantam kids is more legit.

If it were to morph into something less corporate and be a real championship tournament, they would do away with the Host team being invited. They’d keep it to just the three teams in a neutral location playing each other twice in a home and home format for equalizing the last change Advantage. The top two teams would play a best of three series. The winning team will have played 6-7 games to win the CHL Championship. To me, that is more legitimate than the Memorial Cup format where a team can play four games and another may have to play as many as six.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Memorial cup isn’t meaningless but when you look at other similar tournaments like the NCAA Basketball or World Cup etc, the Memorial Cup is more of a CHL All-Star game than a championship of any true measure. First, they have the host team entered which makes it automatically a paper championship. They do that to ensure revenue generation. The whole Tourney feels like a Corporate party for their sponsors. Not that there is anything wrong with that and not that the Tourney isn’t entertaining. I really don’t think it holds anywhere near the water of the other high profile league championship tourneys. Even the OHL Cup for the Bantam kids is more legit.

If it were to morph into something less corporate and be a real championship tournament, they would do away with the Host team being invited. They’d keep it to just the three teams in a neutral location playing each other twice in a home and home format for equalizing the last change Advantage. The top two teams would play a best of three series. The winning team will have played 6-7 games to win the CHL Championship. To me, that is more legitimate than the Memorial Cup format where a team can play four games and another may have to play as many as six.
Another option could be to do away with the round robin format and have the host league champion play the non host league champion with the lower amount of points and the host/representative team play the non host champion with the most points in a best of three. The winner of those series would play a best of three for the Memorial Cup.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Another option could be to do away with the round robin format and have the host league champion play the non host league champion with the lower amount of points and the host/representative team play the non host champion with the most points in a best of three. The winner of those series would play a best of three for the Memorial Cup.
The best way would be to avoid the host team getting into the event. Make it a 3 team tournament. The host league will fill the stands no matter what.

Does winning the regular season league championship mean anything? I am starting to think that placing 3rd or 4th is better as you can rest players more and give players time to heel. While playing to get home ice for the playoffs is not that much of a guarantee. Imagine if Ottawa had started to rest and heal players in the middle of march and not been first int he league would they have been a better team in the playoffs.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The best way would be to avoid the host team getting into the event. Make it a 3 team tournament. The host league will fill the stands no matter what.

Does winning the regular season league championship mean anything? I am starting to think that placing 3rd or 4th is better as you can rest players more and give players time to heel. While playing to get home ice for the playoffs is not that much of a guarantee. Imagine if Ottawa had started to rest and heal players in the middle of march and not been first int he league would they have been a better team in the playoffs.

Ottawa was too young, not too hurt.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Barrie, North Bay, and Peterborough were just stronger, better built for a playoff run this year than Ottawa.

Reactions: ottawarenegader613

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
With the style they are playing and the fact that it really is a 3 game tournament, they have a shot at 2nd and could upset. It is going to depend on whether London can beat the defensive style that they are playing and if in a one game the other leagues can do that as well.

Look at the NHL how many people saw Florida and Seattle doing as well as they are?

I think the Petes are HEAVY underdogs if they reach the mem cup. Same for London.
I also expect the OHL team to get waxed....

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Good discussion here. Petes fans weighing in ......the Petes are indeed top-heavy with their forward group and their suspect depth at forward just took a few hits (so to speak) in the series with North Bay.

A long-term injury to Jonathan Melee, a prototypical depth, third-line guy and now 4th line guy Tommy Purdeller is out. "Mr. Shot Block" Shawn Spearing, the Captain and veteran defenseman took a puck in the face and is out for a bit as well.

The Petes have a ton of character and play physical and they will need to lean big-time on these and rely on the top 6 forwards to have a chance against a strong London team.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It used to be that, of course - there were only three teams, and the host team only made it if they were good enough to win their league. New West Bruins did that when they hosted, and then beat the 67's in the Final in the 1970s. (Those were the days when you could pick up a player from another team to take to the Memorial Cup, weird as that seems today.) The money from TV and ticket sales, though, means that the host team format isn't going anywhere for now.

Good discussion here. Petes fans weighing in ......the Petes are indeed top-heavy with their forward group and their suspect depth at forward just took a few hits (so to speak) in the series with North Bay.

A long-term injury to Jonathan Melee, a prototypical depth, third-line guy and now 4th line guy Tommy Purdeller is out. "Mr. Shot Block" Shawn Spearing, the Captain and veteran defenseman took a puck in the face and is out for a bit as well.

The Petes have a ton of character and play physical and they will need to lean big-time on these and rely on the top 6 forwards to have a chance against a strong London team.
Can your boys PLEASE beat the Knights? I just can't deal with watching London at the Memorial Cup again...

Reactions: ottawarenegader613

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
It used to be that, of course - there were only three teams, and the host team only made it if they were good enough to win their league. New West Bruins did that when they hosted, and then beat the 67's in the Final in the 1970s. (Those were the days when you could pick up a player from another team to take to the Memorial Cup, weird as that seems today.) The money from TV and ticket sales, though, means that the host team format isn't going anywhere for now.

Can your boys PLEASE beat the Knights? I just can't deal with watching London at the Memorial Cup again...
I think the Petes have a great chance of winning the OHL Championship. In my opinion they have already faced their toughest opponents in Ottawa and North Bay. In my opinion London is not as good as those two were. It also appears that we have almost all the other 18 teams’ fans in our corner.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
It used to be that, of course - there were only three teams, and the host team only made it if they were good enough to win their league. New West Bruins did that when they hosted, and then beat the 67's in the Final in the 1970s. (Those were the days when you could pick up a player from another team to take to the Memorial Cup, weird as that seems today.) The money from TV and ticket sales, though, means that the host team format isn't going anywhere for now. [snip]
That was 1977 ( I remember because I got married the day before, and, APPARENTLY, I was not allowed to reschedule the wedding, hmmmphhh.) We took Pat Riggin from London. The Cup was a double round robin. I remember the final series with the Knights. They were a loaded team with Marsh, Ramage, Ciccarelli. It was also the days of the 20-year-old draft, so not so many distractions for drafted players in the playoffs. The 18-year-old draft came in in 1980.

As for the host team, as I've said, I am not a fan, although I know why. Even with that team in the tournament, half the games don't have the host team in it, and most of the time, the crowd is much smaller. TV likes big crowds, big noise. The winning bid is based on revenue guarantees to the CHL, so I doubt that the format will change much.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Heard Jake Middleton earlier today on TSN 1200, talking about the Worlds. They were originally supposed to have Jack Quinn on, as he scored the shootout winner for Canada yesterday, but they got Middleton instead, and he chirped the hosts about how offended he was not to be the first choice. ;-) The 67's connections to Team Canada are huge - Andre Tourigny as head coach, (who Middleton couldn't praise enough), Tyler Toffoli, Jack Quinn, Middleton - I may be missing some. Middleton is quite a character and a very funny guy who could have a career in media when he stops playing...

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Heard Jake Middleton earlier today on TSN 1200, talking about the Worlds. They were originally supposed to have Jack Quinn on, as he scored the shootout winner for Canada yesterday, but they got Middleton instead, and he chirped the hosts about how offended he was not to be the first choice. ;-) The 67's connections to Team Canada are huge - Andre Tourigny as head coach, (who Middleton couldn't praise enough), Tyler Toffoli, Jack Quinn, Middleton - I may be missing some. Middleton is quite a character and a very funny guy who could have a career in media when he stops playing...
Not a 67, but Mack Weegar is a Nepean product who was passed over by the OHL. He had to win his Memorial Cup with the Mooseheads in Saskatoon.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Nice little write up on the 67’s newest signing. 14th rounder from the 2022 draft. Kid is pretty big at 6’5” and was looking pretty good at the development camp.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Nice little write up on the 67’s newest signing. 14th rounder from the 2022 draft. Kid is pretty big at 6’5” and was looking pretty good at the development camp.
Hopefully he fits in and becomes a contributor as we need size. That being said ,and I don't want to judge the kid without seeing him, but he needs to be able to Skate! If he doesn't skate well he won't fit our puck pursuit/forechecking style. A guy like Quinn Yule (similar body) did not fit well a few years ago when Tourigny brought in this style of play. Obviously they see something in him so let's wait and see.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
1684503056231.png

What did someone say 6'5" grinding forward????????????? Where??? When?????

PLEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad