Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Agree on Beck.

Boucher needs development. Do they develop his offence and allow him one full season at Junior where he can gain confidence and get healthy in an environment that is much more safe? I don’t know. I’m thinking that option is much more on the table now than it was even at the mid-season point. If he plays AHL? His shoulder will get tested pretty quick. With respect tot he money spent, he gets the NHL Slide so his Entry level doesn’t kick in yet and neither would his AHL contract. It may be advantageous for the Sens to keep him in Ottawa one extra year and hold his entry level back a year. He gets his signing bonus money no matter where he plays. Do they NEED him at the AHL level to help that team or will they do wat is best for his development? I don’t really know what is best for his development.

With respect to the defence, I am not sure who would be the odd man out. It could be the one least effictive or worst fit but it could also be a situation where they try to use the player that nets the best return. That seems to be what they did with Sawyer. They could have moved any of the 18 year olds but Sawyer probably netted the better return with a 2nd round pick in the 2023 draft. You could see Sirman moved if his market value is higher. We could also see a player request a deal as well. So, too many variables to really land on the guy that will end up moving. Looks like more of a wait and see.
Boucher think is going to depend on Boucher. I think he will do the full NHL camp and then if he is close they will send him to the AHL to see if he can compete. There re a lot of options AHL< ECHL and OHl. It will depend on finances what is best
Also if it might be can we see him in the AHL this year then he has to go to the ECHL as you can not take a player from the OHL to the AHL. It will be interesting and I think it will depend on Boucher and how prepared he is for camp.

I will not hold my breath on his return but it is a very slim possibility.

Defence as you say is interesting I really do not see a spot for Smyth on this team but you never know. Sirman will give the best return but then do you want an OA doing spot duty and riding the bench.

I think the Euro draft may shed some light. I know the drafts sure didn't

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Watching bits and pieces of the Quebec-Gatineau series tonight and it just goes to show you how far behind the Ontario league is in terms of skill and sheer excitement. Nothing but end-to-end action, excellent goaltending and some pull you out of your seats scoring chances and hitting. The Ottawa-Peterborough series was like watching paint dry compared to this...
To be fair, that Gatineau-Quebec series is pretty unique in terms of the talent on the ice as both teams are very stacked. They have a combined 17 NHL draft picks on those 2 rosters.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
To be fair, that Gatineau-Quebec series is pretty unique in terms of the talent on the ice as both teams are very stacked. They have a combined 17 NHL draft picks on those 2 rosters.
Similar to Petes @ Battalion. There could be 20 if Sarnia & NB meet.

Reactions: BigHitter67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Boucher think is going to depend on Boucher. I think he will do the full NHL camp and then if he is close they will send him to the AHL to see if he can compete. There re a lot of options AHL< ECHL and OHl. It will depend on finances what is best
Also if it might be can we see him in the AHL this year then he has to go to the ECHL as you can not take a player from the OHL to the AHL. It will be interesting and I think it will depend on Boucher and how prepared he is for camp.

I will not hold my breath on his return but it is a very slim possibility.

Defence as you say is interesting I really do not see a spot for Smyth on this team but you never know. Sirman will give the best return but then do you want an OA doing spot duty and riding the bench.

I think the Euro draft may shed some light. I know the drafts sure didn't

Boucher can play anywhere, he will be 20 years old. Sens will simply place him wherever they feel is best for his development. Boucher doesn’t really have much of a say, if any.

I’m not 100% sure Sirman is worth more than Smyth to be honest. Smyth has a big frame and he plays defence pretty well. If there is a team looking for a relatively mobile big lad that can clear the net and isn’t a tool with the puck, Smyth can fit that role. In fact, because of his size, Smyth may be worth a lot more than Sirman. Sirman may be worth more to Ottawa on their roster than the trade market. Who knows?

I’d be surprised if they come out of the Import draft not drafting a centre.

Reactions: dirty12

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Boucher can play anywhere, he will be 20 years old. Sens will simply place him wherever they feel is best for his development. Boucher doesn’t really have much of a say, if any.

I’d be surprised if they come out of the Import draft not drafting a centre.
I think Boucher has a lot to say in his play. If he shows up in great shape added muscle and plays hard it will be difficult for Ottawa to do anymore than send him to the AHL. If he shows up and is not physically ready for the AHL then that will decide what the Sens do.

I agree that Ottawa brass will have the final say but his play can make the decision easy or hard.

Smyth, Sirman, I agree both may be late-deadline deals that fill holes on teams but I do not see a lot in return for them.

I think the plyers that will get us something are Beck and Donoso. If someone stands out like Garner did this year then Rohrer could be added to the trade list.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Great news! Always a bit more iffy when you draft american kids. Hopefully our first rounder follows suit soon.
I don’t expect him to make a serious impact next year because he really is small. Like, really small. It will be hard for him to adjust to the physicality unles she beefs up quite a bit. I think he’ll be that 4th line centre or 13th forward next year at least through the first half until he finds the right pace. If he can pack on at least 15 pounds this offseason and get up to 165 and maybe sprout another inch and get to 5’10? Maybe he could get a little ahead of the curve. But at 5’9 150? Gonna be tough. Kids have done it though. Some kids have packed on 20 pounds and sprouted two full inches between the measurements pre-draft and the start of the regular season. It is 5-6 months between measurements and regular season puck drop. So, he does have time.

Sounds like he is ready to put in the work so I hope he manages to come in ready to roll.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Let’s hope Brzustewicz signs soon as well. I have a feeling we are going to like having Marrelli on one pairing, Mayich on one pairing and Brzustewicz on the final pairing. They aren’t towering guys but they are thick. I have a sense the 67s will be tough to play against over the next few seasons. I’d like to see him play with Sirman. Keep Mews and Marrelli together. Ewles and Mayich would be decent for a pairing. Horner subs in when you need some vinegar on your fries!

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
What's happening with Goaltender Birk Cassels is going to playing the Ottawa 67's or will he be attending camp or is going to playing USHL hockey league for someone.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I don’t expect him to make a serious impact next year because he really is small. Like, really small. It will be hard for him to adjust to the physicality unles she beefs up quite a bit. I think he’ll be that 4th line centre or 13th forward next year at least through the first half until he finds the right pace. If he can pack on at least 15 pounds this offseason and get up to 165 and maybe sprout another inch and get to 5’10? Maybe he could get a little ahead of the curve. But at 5’9 150? Gonna be tough. Kids have done it though. Some kids have packed on 20 pounds and sprouted two full inches between the measurements pre-draft and the start of the regular season. It is 5-6 months between measurements and regular season puck drop. So, he does have time.

Sounds like he is ready to put in the work so I hope he manages to come in ready to roll.
I think you may see Cameron move him to wing to start the year. I know we don't have a lot of centers but I think there will be less pressure on him at wing a ala Barlas. I agree though at his size he is going to get the crap beat out of him if he does not gain a couple of inches and pounds.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
What's happening with Goaltender Birk Cassels is going to playing the Ottawa 67's or will he be attending camp or is going to playing USHL hockey league for someone.
If Cassells is smart he does nothing until after the USHL draft, Then he can see where he wants to play or try out.

Unless he is guaranteed to make the 67's it would be stupid for him to come to camp and screw his NCAA eligibility.. remember he can only stay in camp 48 hours and the rookie camp they just had counted.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Cassells is smart he does nothing until after the USHL draft, Then he can see where he wants to play or try out.

Unless he is guaranteed to make the 67's it would be stupid for him to come to camp and screw his NCAA eligibility.. remember he can only stay in camp 48 hours and the rookie camp they just had counted.

My understanding is all of the goalies taken by Ottawa last year in the draft, I believe there were four, are considered solid OHL level prospects. If that is true, the 67’s likely have a priority list for signing them. They would likely only sign one of them so they will work first on their highest rated goalie and work their way down the list. If they do manage to sign one of them, that goalie would likley backup MacK with Donoso being traded to a contender. That’s how I read the situation.

When the most appriopriate time is to make that signing or when the players would be freed up to sign, I really don't know. I think maybe, like you said, after they have a sense of where they would be playing if not in the OHL is confirmed, they would likely decide on one or the other. That also depends on what type of NCAA scholarship offers they may be looking at. Who knows what the timelines are for that!

I doubt any of those goalies would report to Training Camp in August/September without a signed contract. I think all of them are strong enough to not be in a situation where they are “trying out” for the team.

It would be odd that they drafted four guys last year and they aren’t able to get any of them to sign. They have a couple this year but they are 16 and it is rare that a 16 year old comes in and plays even at a backup role. I think the focus needs to be on last years draft crop. If not, then maybe they keep Donoso and MacK which would not be ideal for either goalie. You have to think something will happen in that regard.

I think you may see Cameron move him to wing to start the year. I know we don't have a lot of centers but I think there will be less pressure on him at wing a ala Barlas. I agree though at his size he is going to get the crap beat out of him if he does not gain a couple of inches and pounds.

Who knows. Apparently the kid has a ton of skill. If he is fine enough to play wing, he is probably fine enough to play 4th line centre on a rebuild. I think the question is going to be size more than anything. Can his size translate to success at the OHL level agaisnt bigger players? IIf that answer ends up being, yes, then I think he’d be fine at centre until he proves incapable. Remember, Barlas played centre for a season and change before he was permantly moved to the wing. I think all Centres will get the same opportunity IF THEY ARE PROJECTED AS CENTRES. I think he is projected as a centre so he will get th opportunity. A kid like Foster, for example, was not really projected as a centre so he was mostly a winger from the start.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
My understanding is all of the goalies taken by Ottawa last year in the draft, I believe there were four, are considered solid OHL level prospects. If that is true, the 67’s likely have a priority list for signing them. They would likely only sign one of them so they will work first on their highest rated goalie and work their way down the list. If they do manage to sign one of them, that goalie would likley backup MacK with Donoso being traded to a contender. That’s how I read the situation.

When the most appriopriate time is to make that signing or when the players would be freed up to sign, I really don't know. I think maybe, like you said, after they have a sense of where they would be playing if not in the OHL is confirmed, they would likely decide on one or the other. That also depends on what type of NCAA scholarship offers they may be looking at. Who knows what the timelines are for that!

I doubt any of those goalies would report to Training Camp in August/September without a signed contract. I think all of them are strong enough to not be in a situation where they are “trying out” for the team.

It would be odd that they drafted four guys last year and they aren’t able to get any of them to sign. They have a couple this year but they are 16 and it is rare that a 16 year old comes in and plays even at a backup role. I think the focus needs to be on last years draft crop. If not, then maybe they keep Donoso and MacK which would not be ideal for either goalie. You have to think something will happen in that regard.

Who knows. Apparently the kid has a ton of skill. If he is fine enough to play wing, he is probably fine enough to play 4th line centre on a rebuild. I think the question is going to be size more than anything. Can his size translate to success at the OHL level agaisnt bigger players? IIf that answer ends up being, yes, then I think he’d be fine at centre until he proves incapable. Remember, Barlas played centre for a season and change before he was permantly moved to the wing. I think all Centres will get the same opportunity IF THEY ARE PROJECTED AS CENTRES. I think he is projected as a centre so he will get th opportunity. A kid like Foster, for example, was not really projected as a centre so he was mostly a winger from the start.
I don't think any of the goalies are going to get a solid contract offer until training camp. The last thing you want it to make an offer sign a player and then someone surprises you with their play.

Cassells is a little different in that he can still play in the USHL and prove his way to an NCAA offer sheet. Remember Moldenhauer waited.

I just do not see anyone that shone brightly in goal at a lower level.

The challenge with Whitehead besides his size which I think is huge is how will he do on faceoffs. No matter what if he is not one of the top 5 in faceoffs then I see him getting ice time as a winger so tht he can get used to the speed.

The Euro draft and camp are going to be interesting.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think any of the goalies are going to get a solid contract offer until training camp. The last thing you want it to make an offer sign a player and then someone surprises you with their play.

Cassells is a little different in that he can still play in the USHL and prove his way to an NCAA offer sheet. Remember Moldenhauer waited.

The challenge with Whitehead besides his size which I think is huge is how will he do on faceoffs. No matter what if he is not one of the top 5 in faceoffs then I see him getting ice time as a winger so tht he can get used to the speed.

John Parsons is in the USNTDP (U-17) and I expect he will play this year int heir U-18 program. He is committed to Providence College.

Hayden Duncan is likely going to play GOJHL next year.

Ty Levy is likely to play USHL next season

Birk Cassels is likely to play USHL next season

So, of those four goalies, Parsons is the least likely to play for Ottawa. Most of the American kids goal is to play USNTDP because that is the program that is highest profile and for good reason. Each of the other three are in pretty much the same boat. They need to decide what they want to do.

If the 67’s like one of those players, they will sign them before camp. They may not have a choice. The exception would be Duncan. He is an Ontario kid and didn’t play at a high level Last year. I could see him in camp for 48 hours Without a contract. Levy and Cassels may both have NCAA interest and are projected to play at the USHL level next year as 17 year olds. They hold all the cards. It is still highly possible that one of them comes to camp for 48 hours on their own dime. However, with all the advanced scouting out there now, I’m not sure what the 67’s will see in a goalie in camp they haven’t seen in game situations over the last two seasons.

Since his dad played for Ottawa and his brother played for Oshawa, I think Cassels is the most likely to be the guy. It would be awesome if Ottawa could snag PArsons but that kid is on a different path. I don’t think Ottawa will be able to get him to walk a different path.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

I think Beast our goalie of the future is Jaeden Nelson that they just drafted rather high. He was in some circles the second best goalie in the draft. Has a high ceiling from what I read and is a local kid. As OMG just layed out I don't see goalies from last year as a likely options. If they knew one was coming they probably don't draft a goalie that high. I see two scenarios. Donoso traded this summer and Nelson is the back up or Nelson goes to tier -2 a few months until Donoso is traded to a contender.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Beast our goalie of the future is Jaeden Nelson that they just drafted rather high. He was in some circles the second best goalie in the draft. Has a high ceiling from what I read and is a local kid. As OMG just layed out I don't see goalies from last year as a likely options. If they knew one was coming they probably don't draft a goalie that high. I see two scenarios. Donoso traded this summer and Nelson is the back up or Nelson goes to tier -2 a few months until Donoso is traded to a contender.

I’m not 100% sure having a 16 year old as a back up is ideal. If they are willing to ride MacK then I guess it isn’t terrible. I think hey’s want him to play at a level where he could get some starts. The 67’s would have to be seriously committed to the rebuild if they did that. I’m not saying it won’t happen but I think it may be more possible he plays a year somewhere that makes sense and Ottawa acquires a cheap backup with a little bit of experience.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
What about the kid that they brought up for a few games?

Of course the other option is to bring one from the Euro

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
What about the kid that they brought up for a few games?

Of course the other option is to bring one from the Euro

All the kids they used this year were BUGs. They really don‘t have anyone other than Donoso and MacK plus their unsigned picks. I can’t see them wasting a Euro pick on a back up goalie.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I’m not 100% sure having a 16 year old as a back up is ideal. If they are willing to ride MacK then I guess it isn’t terrible. I think hey’s want him to play at a level where he could get some starts. The 67’s would have to be seriously committed to the rebuild if they did that. I’m not saying it won’t happen but I think it may be more possible he plays a year somewhere that makes sense and Ottawa acquires a cheap backup with a little bit of experience.
Of course it will depend on he shows in training camp but if we're looking at a run in two years he needs to be developed at the ohl level for at least half a season next year so we have a viable backup that year in case something happens to Mac.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Of course it will depend on he shows in training camp but if we're looking at a run in two years he needs to be developed at the ohl level for at least half a season next year so we have a viable backup that year in case something happens to Mac.

Goalies are a bit tougher to find the right path and align with competitive windows.

If we are to compete in 24-25, we are truly leaning on MacK. It isn’t often that a team has two guys they can rely on. Usually contenders have one big guy (DiVincentsis is a strong example. Brochu as well). If they have to go to the backup, they are sort of screwed. We were fortunate this season to have both Donoso and MacK. But, that is not typical Unless both are pretty good but neither are bonafide starters (Keyes and Kotyk would be a good example for that).

The 67’s would “need” to develop him to take over for MacK in 25-26. So, their goal should be that. If the best path to that is to have him as a backup as a 16 year old for a half season and then a backup again as a 17 year old old for a whole season then I am 100% behind that. I’m just not sure that is the right path. He’d need to be a stud goalie to play that role as a 16 year old and 17 year old with relatively little playing time going into a starter year as an 18 year old. BUT, goalies are different. It is a bit more of a crap shoot. It may work out just fine.

I think there is more of a chance of it happening if it happens like you said. They run with Donoso through the deadline. If they make a move with Donoso early then I think they go get a backup for the season.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Hard to believe Gatineau could be eliminated tonight, Quebec up 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad