Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Agree with everybody that trading his rights at this point makes the best sense.

Wondering if the delay may be that teams don’t want to pay a high price for the 21st overall pick in terms of conditional draft picks. If a team like London trades for his rights, they would be tying up picks that could be used to trade for other players at the deadline. Correct me if I’m wrong but to my understanding, conditional draft pick trades freeze those picks from being dealt otherwise.

Niagara might be a good trading partner. They have a bunch of picks left from the Tomasino trade and in acquiring Aidan Castle last week they seem to trying to load up that 2004 group.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agree with everybody that trading his rights at this point makes the best sense.

Wondering if the delay may be that teams don’t want to pay a high price for the 21st overall pick in terms of conditional draft picks. If a team like London trades for his rights, they would be tying up picks that could be used to trade for other players at the deadline. Correct me if I’m wrong but to my understanding, conditional draft pick trades freeze those picks from being dealt otherwise.

Niagara might be a good trading partner. They have a bunch of picks left from the Tomasino trade and in acquiring Aidan Castle last week they seem to trying to load up that 2004 group.

Moldenhauer is only 17 so anyone trading for him is doing so for the future. I’m sure a pick deal is out there provided there is a team or two that honestly feel they have a decent chance of signing him for next year, if not this year.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Moldenhauer is only 17 so anyone trading for him is doing so for the future. I’m sure a pick deal is out there provided there is a team or two that honestly feel they have a decent chance of signing him for next year, if not this year.
Teams are pretty consumed trying to figure out what they have in their own house let a lone dealing with some kid who seems to be committed to a year in the USHL. This isn't a bad choice on his part, the USHL does a good job of showcasing these kids for the NHL and NCAA. Ottawa should take the comp pick but I'd be surprised if any team were offering a whole lot in a transaction, the ceiling just isn't high enough on this player to tie up assets and assume any risk. This doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good add, its just not elite level at this stage.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Teams are pretty consumed trying to figure out what they have in their own house let a lone dealing with some kid who seems to be committed to a year in the USHL. This isn't a bad choice on his part, the USHL does a good job of showcasing these kids for the NHL and NCAA. Ottawa should take the comp pick but I'd be surprised if any team were offering a whole lot in a transaction, the ceiling just isn't high enough on this player to tie up assets and assume any risk. This doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good add, its just not elite level at this stage.

A 4th round pick and a conditional 15th linked to a future 2nd and 3rd in the future isn’t much of an asset tie up. If you were to come to me and I was reasonably sure I had at least a 50-50 chance of him playing two seasons with my program, I would roll the dice. At the end of the day, you are basically giving up a little flexibility. You aren’t actually giving up any real significant picks. And if you were to get Moldenhauer for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th for two seasons, that isn’t bad. Chicago has a good program. They wouldn’t sign him if he was just a low ceiling player. They have a lot of other potential options.

At the end of the day, Ottawa will take best available trade option so teams not interested will just walk away once they reach the point they are giving up too much flexibility. Either that of they keep his rights. That is taking more risk than the trading teams though.

We’ll see what they do. I think they have until Wednesday but. I am not sure what they window is this season or whether it is extended because of Covid.

Reactions: LDN

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
IMO they must.
With what was provided in return for Fantili, it won't be much more than the comp pick. Lets face it, if the kid doesn't fit in Chicago he's not likely going to contribute much in the OHL or NCAA. Just move on already.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
I say Take the compensation and move on from this pick that feels he is better off in the US.
We may actually do better for ourselves as we are very much retooling as they would say.

Reactions: PuckStop75

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With what was provided in return for Fantili, it won't be much more than the comp pick. Lets face it, if the kid doesn't fit in Chicago he's not likely going to contribute much in the OHL or NCAA. Just move on already.

When you trade a defected player, you get the assets you trade for AND the comp pick. You get the comp pick as soon as you declare the player defected. If you choose not to trade the player or there’re is no team willing to trade for him, I believe he goes back into the draft the following season.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yes, if you declare him defective and nobody trades for his rights, you get the comp pick and he goes back in the draft. Not sure if he would go into the priority selection or the U18 though.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Are you guys building towards next season? Likelihood you would be willing to part with Sirizzotti is assumed to be low?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Are you guys building towards next season? Likelihood you would be willing to part with Sirizzotti is assumed to be low?

The 67s have a program of continued success. There will be seasons where the team is what you would consider “contender” status and in those seasons they would most likely trade draft picks for deadline acquisitions.

In seasons where things go sideways for whatever reason, we assume they would trade expiring assets to build draft pick capital for contending seasons.

How this plays into Sirizzotti, we would assume since he is in his 3rd season and has another season left before he’d be an OA candidate, I doubt the 67s would make him available. I believe the 67s hold him in high regard and he’s likely to get top 6 minutes on the right side this season.

But, again, unless the team is either tanking or contending, I cannot see trades being made either for significant acquisitions or significant seller moves. Sirizzotti would be in the significant category. That would mean next season, if we were struggling to make the playoffs and seemed not able to improve our standing, a player like Sirizzotti would likely be a trade candidate.

The forwards most likely to be available this season should we not see very much success are Tolnai, Robinson, and Crete. Tolnai may be a quality OA candidate though.

Reactions: HockeyPops

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think depending on how the rookies do on defence that one of the defence could be available. The problem we are going to have is the age thing again as most are the same age.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think depending on how the rookies do on defence that one of the defence could be available. The problem we are going to have is the age thing again as most are the same age.

The team won’t trade for the sake of trading. It is not their style. They will hold on to assets until there is a strategic reason to make a trade.

The defence really isn’t much the same age to be honest. If you look at their 8 D-Men, none are of OA age. Belanger and Costantini are 19, Matier, Gill-Shane, and Sawyer are 18, Sirman, Mayich and Dever are 17. They really aren’t slanted toward one age group either. It is not like their top 4 are all 19 years old.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Either this decision with respect to Moldenhauer is going down to the wire or it isn’t looking good for Ottawa declaring him defected. It is starting to look like they will retain his rights.

If I had to guess, I think if they are able to make a reasonable trade, they will do it. If it just comes down to retaining his rights or getting the 21st pick next draft, I think they will retain his rights.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hope they get something for him at least

Either way they get something. Worse case scenario is they retain his rights and he never reports.

If they retain his rights, he could still report in the future or they could trade his rights if there is a particular team he would prefer to ply for.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Either way they get something. Worse case scenario is they retain his rights and he never reports.

If they retain his rights, he could still report in the future or they could trade his rights if there is a particular team he would prefer to ply for.

Are we sure that today is the deadline day?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It may have already passed, or it may be in the next few days. But it should be around now.

EDIT: sniped by OMG67!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad