Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Another thing to look for is the 67’s trading Moldenhauer’s rights. Strategically speaking, it wouldn’t be good for Ottawa to keep him and essentially lose a first round pick if he doesn’t report. However, other teams wouldn’t lose a first to acquire him. The 67’s could dangle his rights and maybe get something where they get maybe a 2nd round pick and conditional picks in return. The risk exposure to the other team is low and the 67’s get some compensation.

In situations like this, they could approach Moldenhauer and simply ask if there is a team he’d rather play for and potentially report to.

No matter what the 67’s do, they get the compensatory pick once they claim him defected. Because he was a 20th overall pick, I believe they would get the 21st pick sandwiched between the first and 2nd round.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Will Gerrior also commits to the 67’s.

That’s a hell of a lot of bodies now.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Will Gerrior also commits to the 67’s.

That’s a hell of a lot of bodies now.
No sh..... gonna be a very competitive rest of pre season. Really pleased they signed Gerrior however. Liked what I saw of him. With the two imports by my count we have 17 forwards. So maybe some vets get squeezed out or traded? A few of the 16 y.o. will likely head down. In recent years they usually keep 13 forwards so 4 will go somewhere.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Another thing to look for is the 67’s trading Moldenhauer’s rights. Strategically speaking, it wouldn’t be good for Ottawa to keep him and essentially lose a first round pick if he doesn’t report. However, other teams wouldn’t lose a first to acquire him. The 67’s could dangle his rights and maybe get something where they get maybe a 2nd round pick and conditional picks in return. The risk exposure to the other team is low and the 67’s get some compensation.

In situations like this, they could approach Moldenhauer and simply ask if there is a team he’d rather play for and potentially report to.

No matter what the 67’s do, they get the compensatory pick once they claim him defected. Because he was a 20th overall pick, I believe they would get the 21st pick sandwiched between the first and 2nd round.
I suspect that unless he agrees in advance to report to a team of his choice that the best they'll do is get a conditionnal pick that turns to a few picks if he shows. Agree though no sense to keep him, better to get the comp pick.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Your welcome
Any player has to 17 and up for age purposes.

It is likely a lot of the rookies are on development cards until they officially make the team. So, a kid like Gerrier is signed but is on a development card until he plays regular season games (outside the Christmas break when development players are allowed to suit up).

I believe the team only gets 30 cards to use through the season.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Lineups vs The Petes

Pinelli - Tolnai - Sirizzotti
Gerrior - Crete - Varga
Foster - Barlas - Gardiner
Stonehouse - Laforme - Dever

Sawyer - Cosantini
Mayich - Gill-Shane
Smyth - Sirman

Cranley MacKenzie

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Looking at the OHL page 67's have dressed all 12 rookies, Peterboro have 5 rookies dressed

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
1-1 after 3

Straight to a shootout

petes Robertson Goal, X, X

67's Barlas Goal, Pinelli Miss, Foster Goal

67's win 2-1

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
So 2-1 in shootout. Somehow I think this might be a microcosm of the season. Likely we'll be a well coached defensive team. Goals at least for this year will be hard to come by.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You have to wonder how safe Robinson, Crete and Varga are.

Could JB and Cameron decide to go with a young team and just develop players this year?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
You have to wonder how safe Robinson, Crete and Varga are.

Could JB and Cameron decide to go with a young team and just develop players this year?
I think Robinson is safe. They gave up a lot for him and considering the injuries he deserves a chance. As for Crete/ Varga you might be right as they need to be way better than the rooks otherwise... At the end of the day this is a reload year so we need to develop the young guys. Varga is done after this year and Crete has an uphill battle to be an oA next year (Cranley, Belanger, Costantini, Tolnai, Robinson). I say bite the bullet and go young.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There’s only so many young guys you can develop. You cannot develop them by putting them in situations they are incapable of handling. They have two players with 100+ games (Tolnai and Varga). If they were to trade Varga and Crete, they’d be left with:

Tolnai 108 games
Johnston 58 games
Beck 56 games
Robinson 45 games
Sirizzotti 9 games

You can’t simply just roll rookies out there and expect them to develop. The way you develop players is you put them in situations that challenge them but not to the point where it is constant failure. That serves absolutely zero purpose. If a player is always chasing the puck instead of playing with it, he’ll only get winded and need an extra Gatorade.

Each line needs a Centre that can play the required minutes with purpose. Then it needs one somewhat experienced winger that can anchor the line, whether that be defensively or offensively. They can line up a productive rookie with the line like they did last year with Beck. But, if they expect Laforme to centre a line with Stonehouse and Rohrer on the second line, it would more often be a mistake than a success.

If both Imports end up being players that can handle 18 effective minutes then maybe we can roll without a guy like Varga but keep in mind, Varga is exactly the type of player we need to kill penalties. He’ll be the fist guy over the boards for those situations.

Reactions: PuckStop75

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Crete was 12 for 18 in faceoffs today, next was Tolnai 8 for 12
Varga, Adam000000/0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Robinson did not play

the dog

May 16, 2014

don't think he wants to play in O staying in Muskegon .then playing for university of Wisconsin.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
don't think he wants to play in O staying in Muskegon .then playing for university of Wisconsin.

As of right now, Moldenhauer has not officially made any commitments to NCAA schools. He may be SAYING that or he may truly want to go to Wisconsin. But, regardless, the 67’s need to look at trading his rights, even if it is ONLY conditional picks. Either way, the 67’s get the comp 1st rounder so it neither helps or hurts Ottawa if he plays NCAA and never plays a game in the OHL. It neither helps nor hurts a trade partner if the picks are conditional.

If Moldenhauer is not traded, you can be sure he has taken a hardline of no OHL PERIOD. But, I still think Ottawa at least tries to trade his rights.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Crete was 12 for 18 in faceoffs today, next was Tolnai 8 for 12
Varga, Adam000000/0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Robinson did not play

Yanick Crete is a good player. He will make significant contributions this season. We jsut need to remember who he was playing behind as a 17 year old.

the dog

May 16, 2014
As of right now, Moldenhauer has not officially made any commitments to NCAA schools. He may be SAYING that or he may truly want to go to Wisconsin. But, regardless, the 67’s need to look at trading his rights, even if it is ONLY conditional picks. Either way, the 67’s get the comp 1st rounder so it neither helps or hurts Ottawa if he plays NCAA and never plays a game in the OHL. It neither helps nor hurts a trade partner if the picks are conditional.

If Moldenhauer is not traded, you can be sure he has taken a hardline of no OHL PERIOD. But, I still think Ottawa at least tries to trade his rights.
elite prospects and his Twitter Feb 15 saying that he is committed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad