Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Claude Giroux signs with the Senators (3 years, $6.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I am thrilled, but he’s 34 so I’m hoping it’s 4 years max. Money wise what, $7M?

4 years 28M seems like something I can get behind.

I’d rather pay more to keep the term down if that’s the trade off.

Can’t see Giroux taking 3 years if the goal is family stability and he won’t get major paid again really.

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
I think its going to be tough to make up 30 points in one year even with Debrincat, Giroux. Still some question marks on their back end, and while their depth is great up front their top-end guys aren't as good as the other top ends in the Atlantic (Huberdeau/Barkov, Matthews/Marner, Bergeron/Pasta/March).

Boston is hurt to start the year though - so if they can't weather that storm, Ottawa could jump up there.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think its going to be tough to make up 30 points in one year even with Debrincat, Giroux. Still some question marks on their back end, and while their depth is great up front their top-end guys aren't as good as the other top ends in the Atlantic (Huberdeau/Barkov, Matthews/Marner, Bergeron/Pasta/March).

Boston is hurt to start the year though - so if they can't weather that storm, Ottawa could jump up there.
sens will add a top 4 D for sure

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

Think you underestimate the internal progression of Brady/Norris/Stutzle/Batherson/Pinto/Formenton, who are all incredibly young players.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I think most Sens fans would be happy to still be in the playoff hunt past Thanksgiving.

As for "the wrong time to take the next step", I think you could always point to a future draft and say it'd be better to be bad another year or two. It's been five long years now that the Sens have been bottom dwellers - at some point we have to actually take the next step and not keep betting on futures.

Reactions: glovesave_35

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Ottawa has the players they are just young and will only get better.....

Norris (could have hit 40 goals last year ...had 35 goals in 66 games)
Tkachuk (nothing to say, he's does everything)
Stutzle (he's only 20, and we all see what he will become...electric)
Batherson (was our best forward last year before he got hurt and was an all-star selection, was on pace for 35+ goals)
DeBrincat (twice 40 goal man)
Sanderson (maybe the best D prospect outside the NHL right now, he's in the lineup next year)
Pinto (very underrated, high-IQ prospect that has potential to be elite 3c two-way forward)

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Pasta-Bergeron-Marchand-McAvoy would all be the best player on Ottawa. Ottawas goaltending is putrid and is nothing compared to Boston. Bostons defense is way better. Both teams top 6 is comparable assuming Kessel comes and Krejic returns back to form. Bottom 6 for me is in Bostons favour.
Lol as of right now only 1 of those guys is even going to be playing for them at the start of the season.

Times are a changin' and there's teams catching up very fast while Boston is going the wrong direction.

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
sens will add a top 4 D for sure

Think it will still be questionable with one addition. Sanderson is a great prospect, he could come in and be Seider/Fox, but if he's not, asking him to be a top four d is tough.

If your top four is

Chabot Zub
Sanderson XXX

and one of Chabot/Zub/XXX get hurt + Sanderson isn't a top four guy immediately upon arrival, then that D is in significant trouble IMO.

The flip side is if its Weegar/Chychrun they add and Sanderson is Seider/Fox level good right away, then the team is really good and could break 100 pts assuming goaltending isn't just pitiful.

Ottawa has the players they are just young and will only get better.....

Norris (could have hit 40 goals last year ...had 35 goals in 66 games)
Tkachuk (nothing to say, he's does everything)
Stutzle (he's only 20, and we all see what he will become...electric)
Batherson (was out best forward last year before he got hurt and was an all-star selection, was on pace for 35+ goals)
DeBrincat (twice 40 goal man)
Sanderson (maybe the best D prospect outside the NHL right now, he's in the lineup next year)
Pinto (very underrated, high-IQ prospect that has potential to be elite 3c two-way forward)

Norris shot 20% last year. Don't think anyone in the league can do that consistently. Some of that regression can be offset by development though for sure. There are good pieces here.

Reactions: SensFactor

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Sleeping on Stutzle or how good other players like Chabot, Tkachuk Batherson and Norris are. Sens are fast and deep up front. Don't see how Bostons goaltending is any better.
I view Swayman as a top 10 goalie

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
Think you underestimate the internal progression of Brady/Norris/Stutzle/Batherson/Pinto/Formenton, who are all incredibly young players.

Could be, I just think there are question marks still. They had 73 points last year with actual decent-good goaltending last year. They've made some great adds, they're going to be much better - but are they a 100 pt team (cutoff for playoffs last year?)

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Of course. I think many of us having been told to "watch out for the pesky Sens, this might be their year" for 3 years now. During the COVID Cup, people had them potentially finishing 2nd, and the hype was real. We're all just waiting to see if they can actually take that potential and turn it into wins. Tough division, not many easy wins.
Not sure where this is coming from. Maybe a couple whacky Sens fans predicted they'd finish 2nd. THere are always a couple of people who overrate the team in a big way.

Next to nobody picked the Sens to finish 2nd during the division. Pretty much all Sens fans expected the team to be a potential bubble team at best. Then horrendous starts to both season ended all hope of that.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Think it will still be questionable with one addition. Sanderson is a great prospect, he could come in and be Seider/Fox, but if he's not, asking him to be a top four d is tough.

If your top four is

Chabot Zub
Sanderson XXX

and one of Chabot/Zub/XXX get hurt + Sanderson isn't a top four guy immediately upon arrival, then that D is in significant trouble IMO.

The flip side is if its Weegar/Chychrun they add and Sanderson is Seider/Fox level good right away, then the team is really good and could break 100 pts assuming goaltending isn't just pitiful.

Norris shot 20% last year. Don't think anyone in the league can do that consistently. Some of that regression can be offset by development though for sure. There are good pieces here.
Dorion is playing 5D chess. We are about to steal Florida's top pairing defensemen.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
What an impressive turnaround from Ottawa. If they get Weegar and Giroux, I can’t even.

God I hate being a Canucks fan.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I like how the synopsis of this thread is “yeah cool but your D still sucks”

Like can the sens not just do good things that are appreciated for what they are lol.

Reactions: SENStastic

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I am thrilled, but he’s 34 so I’m hoping it’s 4 years max. Money wise what, $7M?

Can’t see Giroux taking 3 years if the goal is family stability and he won’t get major paid again really.

Call me crazy but I think it'll be closer to Evander Kane and Malkin's deals. Somewhere in the 5.600 range

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Lol, I love how everyone is coming in here to shit on the Sens.

The fear is real.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

What? 7m?

That would be a pretty crazy contract. I was thinking 5.5x3 or 6.5x2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad