Confirmed Trade: [OTT/EDM] Xavier Bourgault and Jake Chiasson for Roby Jarventie and 2025 4th round pick

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What's the scouting report on Roby?

Skilled winger with a big shot but doesn't work hard enough in the dirty areas and isn't skilled enough to overcome that. He's become a good AHL player, but I think that next step is going to be very challenging for him. He reminds me of Logan Brown in regards to compete level on the ice, perhaps a little better in that regard but not as skilled. Also not a center by any means.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
One knock on Bourgault has been he has been able to get use to big city life, going to Belleville might help get him back on track if he doesn't have to worry about the big city life part of it.

Bakersfield isn’t a big city!!

Xb is from a town of 4k and Belleville has 55k people. So I guess to him 400k is the big city haha

If he can’t handle the “temptations” of Bakersfield he’s in trouble.

It’s a shit cowtown with the worst pollution in California (maybe the US actually).

Reactions: Jared Dunn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Skilled winger with a big shot but doesn't work hard enough in the dirty areas and isn't skilled enough to overcome that. He's become a good AHL player, but I think that next step is going to be very challenging for him. He reminds me of Logan Brown in regards to compete level on the ice, perhaps a little better in that regard but not as skilled. Also not a center by any means.
I see this narrative being pushed now since the trade and I dont think its accurate. What type of player did people expect exactly? He is a scoring skill forward with size.

Jarventie was way more engaged last year as he got stronger and grew into his body. He was quite good last year the most dangerous player on Belleville before he got hurt. Big guy who needed to fill out to get stronger and faster to maximize his skillset. He was finally almost there and then he got hurt. He was always a project and I really dont think you can write him off; there has been steady progression. He is tracking exactly how he projected if he was going to turn out. He was so good in training camp he made the team. He wasnt ready yet but the next step is playing in the league. One of the few sens forward prospects with any real upside.

I find this trade really disappointing, seems like the sens traded a pretty prime asset for a player that is regressing. While Jarventie was consistently progressing. Plus they added a pick. I dont get it.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If Jarventie can just be a really good AHL player to help support Savoie’s development down there I’ll consider it a win.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Recoup a little bit after being idiots and trading down for Wallstedt to get snagged up by Minnesota.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I see this narrative being pushed now since the trade and I dont think its accurate. What type of player did people expect exactly? He is a scoring skill forward with size.

Jarventie was way more engaged last year as he got stronger and grew into his body. He was quite good last year the most dangerous player on Belleville before he got hurt. Big guy who needed to fill out to get stronger and faster to maximize his skillset. He was finally almost there and then he got hurt. He was always a project and I really dont think you can write him off; there has been steady progression. He is tracking exactly how he projected if he was going to turn out. He was so good in training camp he made the team. He wasnt ready yet but the next step is playing in the league. One of the few sens forward prospects with any real upside.

I find this trade really disappointing, seems like the sens traded a pretty prime asset for a player that is regressing. While Jarventie was consistently progressing. Plus they added a pick. I dont get it.

Sure he is a skilled player with size but it's not like he uses that size to win the puck or get body position and he doesn't have enough skill to be a play driver at the next level. He has played 2 years pro overseas and 3 years pro in NA and it hasn't clicked. The compete level isn't there. Did he make the team out of camp? I don't remember that and didn't play until november and looked very far away from being an NHL player. I give him a bit of leeway because he was forced to the middle of the ice which did him no favours. -5 with 5 shots in 52:37 minutes on the ice while getting beat up ice, not winning pucks etc. I think he is a very good AHL player who has a year or two before he heads back overseas. I just don't see how he is impactful without top offensive oppurtunities at the NHL level and I don't think he is skilled enough to get top offensive oppurtunities

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He was drafted as a RC so at the time at least it made perfect sense because the Oilers have had this weird obsession with right shooting centers!

Because despite having about as good of group of centers last year as anyone’s ever had, our top 6 centers were all left shots. It wasn’t until you got down to Carrick and Ryan (7/8 on the center depth chart) that you got to a right shot

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Because despite having about as good of group of centers last year as anyone’s ever had, our top 6 centers were all left shots. It wasn’t until you got down to Carrick and Ryan (7/8 on the center depth chart) that you got to a right shot
And now we don't have another RC in the system!

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Definitely one of the moves of all time

That Bourgault pick never made much sense to me.

Was pretty bad when we could have gotten Wallstedt who it seemed most the fanbase was wanting.

Jarventie has mostly been a C over the last year and a half fwiw

This. Also after moving McLeod we have limited options for the 4C spot. I'll take a C prospect vs winger prospect like Bourgault.

Edit : Bit disappointed to hear Jarventie sounds like a McLeod clone without the high end speed. Tall, slight build, parameter player, non physical questionable, battle level. Still if healthy it sounds like he's a talented guy. Maybe the plan is to pair him up with Savoie on Bakers to start the year. See what they can do.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well that Bourgault pick instead of Wallstedt seems just so even more f***ing stupid now.
I think what would have been even more stupid is holding onto a prospect until he's a complete bust and they get absolutely nothing for him as they just let him walk

Seemed clear the organization had major red flags around XB the past couple years. Sure he was probably a guy they've been trying to move since the trade deadline

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Watching Laval play Belleville every 2nd f***ing night I can tell you Jarventie isn't much.

This is a nothing for nothing trade.

Ottawa can benefit from this deal by only playing Bourgault against Montreal as he's guaranteed to score. Keep him in Belleville for when they play Laval and get even more goals.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think what would have been even more stupid is holding onto a prospect until he's a complete bust and they get absolutely nothing for him as they just let him walk

Seemed clear the organization had major red flags around XB the past couple years. Sure he was probably a guy they've been trying to move since the trade deadline
I think longer than that. I remember one of the local reporters (Rishaug maybe? Don't quote me though), when analyzing the Ekholm trade had said something along the lines of Reid Shaeffer being the only prospect that Edmonton had to put into a deal like that, and the fans who were suggesting Bourgault were way off on his value around the league. It just seemed at the time, like he was hinting at the team trying to move Bourgault to help with roster holes but not being able to do so.

So after reading the scouting reports, it seems that the 4th round pick might be the best asset in this trade.

I remember when Bourgault was an untouchable and every trade was an overpay when he was part of the offer... ah good times
I don't think you do, because as an Oiler fan, I don't think I have seen any fans suggest that Bourgault is untouchable. He's been in trades on the trade board fairly regularly.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Meh, it's nothing. One bust is slightly higher rated than the other bust.
Jarventie is progressing exactly the way he was expected to. This is simply not an accurate depiction of his development.

Watching Laval play Belleville every 2nd f***ing night I can tell you Jarventie isn't much.

This is a nothing for nothing trade.

Ottawa can benefit from this deal by only playing Bourgault against Montreal as he's guaranteed to score. Keep him in Belleville for when they play Laval and get even more goals.
Montreal fans are truly unbelievable. Your teams terrible this isn't about you.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Did Bourgault know much English before going to Bakersfield? I've noticed that many of the Quebec born players who played in the Q for a Quebec team tend to have a harsher adjustment curve once they hit pro (excluding Montreal/Laval/Ottawa), since they're in a completely different culture/language.
I'm wondering if Ottawa was looking at getting a francophone kid, since Ottawa does have a fair number of francophone fans on both sides of the Ottawa river, and having a francophone or two in the lineup helps them keep some media coverage that might otherwise go to the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad