Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Wasn't there options when Tolvanen was sent down?
We had a bevy of NHL/AHL tweeners who've been up and down numerous times. Some of those guys, who we were apparently afraid to send down since we left them eating hot dogs in the pressbox, got sent down later and no one even noticed.

The point though is to use a first round pick on a guy, spend the time and resources to mold him from a one-dimensional high school kid with a cannon shot into a solid NHL two-way piece, and then not be able to figure out how to utilize that investment. It's a self fulfilling prophesy. We can't draft or develop anybody because we refuse to use the kids we draft and develop, even when they're decent players. All seemingly because we have a hockey woody for some slightly older player who's failed to stick in multiple stops in other organizations.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Being a GM is an interesting job at the very least. You're tasked with building a winning roster and/or for the future while managing all sorts of personalities.

I understand Trotz's short and even long-term plans. Go big in FA, re-sign your elite goalie and hope you have enough talent in the pipeline to supplement the roster to make 2 or 3 good runs at the Cup. After that time period, you hope that you're young talent is overtaking some of the older vets by pushing them down the depth chart while keeping them around for leadership and intangibles.

My guess is Trotz wanted to know he had a goalie in Saros to compete the next 2-3 years, be damned the consequences down the road. Saros could age gracefully and have another 6-8 good years left in him. He could be done in 2-3 years, we just don't know.

While I get where Askarov is coming from, there are a couple of reasons the team made the decisions they did. One of the biggest ones was what I stated above, going for it the next couple of years and Trotz felt he needed a dependable goalie. On top of that, bringing Korn back in to evaluate the prized prospect. Why Trotz wouldn't trust Vanderklok alone on this I'm unsure of but if Korn thinks he needs more time in the minors, I'm going to trust his judgment as I know he can develop top-notch goalie talent.

What Askarov fails to realize is his best path and chance for success in the NHL is by listening to Korn. Korn will get the most out of him and the kid could be something special if he'd put his ego aside and put in the work. If he came to camp and worked his tail off, does he supplant Wedgewood as the backup? Maybe he does. Would that have been this best for his development, absolutely not. What they could've told him is, you beat out Wedgewood for the job BUT if you want to be a star in this league, go to Milwaukee, put in the work, put in the reps and it will pay off for you. What we're going to do is bring you up to start 20 or so games this year. Wedgewood is here in case Saros gets hurt or lit up in a game. We want you to be ready in case he gets hurt and the net is yours while he's out.

With this line of thinking/strategy, he's getting his work and games in at Milwaukee, he's getting his games in the NHL and the team can decide, does this kid have it or not. If he comes up with a chip on his shoulder and lights it up, you have him back up Saros in the playoffs. Maybe he gets some playoff time too and he lights it up. If he does, maybe you consider moving Saros before his NMC kicks in. I truly believe this is where Askarov was short-sighted. Sure, it looks like there isn't a path forward here for 9 years. If you're as good as you think you are, you make a space for yourself on the roster with your play. You go out and dominate. It's unfortunate he's had two playoff runs that look like most of our goalies.

Come to camp, make a case for yourself. Make it a hard decision for them to send you down. Make them call you up because you're shutting teams down nightly and in dominating fashion. Great players seem to have a chip on their shoulder, this is what makes them who they are. Yeah, you might think your path is blocked. Do something ungoalie like and unblock it.

While Saros has been relatively healthy, you just never know when someone goes down for an extended period of time and you're given the reigns. Be ready to seize that moment.

Will the Preds do any of what I suggested above, more than likely not, as in like 99.9% not happening. For a team that seems to struggle putting a Cup winning team on the ice, you have to make bold decisions and while I get what Trotz did, he and Poile should've moved Saros the season before last when everyone was getting traded away. It made the most sense then so you didn't end up where you are today with a soon to be 30 year old goalie on a massive deal with a great prospect waiting in the wings wanting to get moved.

Hindsight is always great and I'm sure in 2-3 years and then in another 7-9 years it'll be interesting to see how this all played out.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
so on Twitter, there was somebody spitting off about Chicago trying to trade for Askarov. I looked at the roster and I said the only thing they would have to offer is by the name of Connor.
I liked Moore in the draft we took wood and now they are playing together this year. I would do moore and Torontos 1st for askarov

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
First and foremost, what a bizarre decision by Askarov. The wording is weird but it sounds like he's going to come to camp but won't report to the AHL if they send him down? If that was the plan why wouldn't you at a minimum see if you make the team before poisoning the well. But really as others have said the better play would just be to kick ass where ever you end up this season and then go the offer sheet route next offseason if you're still unhappy.

Second, maybe Trotz pulls a miracle on a return but if all we end up with out of the primo goaltending situation we had is a medicore return for Askarov and a market value contract for Saros then that's a pretty huge bag fumble. Hopefully, a lesson learned that just because you have assets doesn't mean you hold all the cards and that the trade market is what it is not what you think it should be.

Third, hopefully it's just two guys with big egos and an agent who adds to the problem, but it seems like there may be some culture issues in Milwaukee. Guys getting disgruntled because they feel they can't get a chance has been one of my big concerns with the overcooking philosophy. Some guys may be motivated to prove the doubters wrong but some percentage are going to say screw this I'd rather go somewhere I can get a shot. It's going to be interesting to see if we can manage to turn this prospect pool into NHL players.
Dean Evason played Trenin for half of the games in Milwaukee one season. That half time AHL player has gone on to play five NHL seasons (299 games ) so far.

Columbus and Evason deserve each other. Too bad that Nashville only plays them twice a season, instead of six times.

The problem is not in Milwaukee. We have an excellent coach in Karl Taylor. The Ads have finished in the top 4 of 32 AHL teams two years in a row. That is not getting "lucky".

Last season, the Ads averaged 6140 fans per home game. That is more than Arizona had, and more than 2/3 of the AHL had. You have a winning minor league team with very good fan support. When I was in Henderson, NV in January, the guy at the beverage stand told me that San Diego has "6 fans when they visit and you guys have about 100".

Nashville has not done much since 2018. Milwaukee has won 4 playoff series in the last two seasons, with a division title and a second place. They don't hope for a WC spot.

Last edited:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
There were options, including IR ones. But that's not really the case here.

A better example would be what they would have done with Stastney had magical Cap space from heaven not appeared. I think we all agree that Stastney has proven he's ready for The Show. But faced with a Cap situation, and with Stastney being waiver exempt, it would not have surprised me one bit to have seen him sent back to Milwaukee.

Askarov I think it doesn't really matter. He just needs more work in the minors, period.
Wouldn't surpirse me either. My point was simply that it has happened. Just a general remark rather than aimed at Askarov's situation.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Being a GM is an interesting job at the very least. You're tasked with building a winning roster and/or for the future while managing all sorts of personalities.

I understand Trotz's short and even long-term plans. Go big in FA, re-sign your elite goalie and hope you have enough talent in the pipeline to supplement the roster to make 2 or 3 good runs at the Cup. After that time period, you hope that you're young talent is overtaking some of the older vets by pushing them down the depth chart while keeping them around for leadership and intangibles.

My guess is Trotz wanted to know he had a goalie in Saros to compete the next 2-3 years, be damned the consequences down the road. Saros could age gracefully and have another 6-8 good years left in him. He could be done in 2-3 years, we just don't know.

While I get where Askarov is coming from, there are a couple of reasons the team made the decisions they did. One of the biggest ones was what I stated above, going for it the next couple of years and Trotz felt he needed a dependable goalie. On top of that, bringing Korn back in to evaluate the prized prospect. Why Trotz wouldn't trust Vanderklok alone on this I'm unsure of but if Korn thinks he needs more time in the minors, I'm going to trust his judgment as I know he can develop top-notch goalie talent.

What Askarov fails to realize is his best path and chance for success in the NHL is by listening to Korn. Korn will get the most out of him and the kid could be something special if he'd put his ego aside and put in the work. If he came to camp and worked his tail off, does he supplant Wedgewood as the backup? Maybe he does. Would that have been this best for his development, absolutely not. What they could've told him is, you beat out Wedgewood for the job BUT if you want to be a star in this league, go to Milwaukee, put in the work, put in the reps and it will pay off for you. What we're going to do is bring you up to start 20 or so games this year. Wedgewood is here in case Saros gets hurt or lit up in a game. We want you to be ready in case he gets hurt and the net is yours while he's out.

With this line of thinking/strategy, he's getting his work and games in at Milwaukee, he's getting his games in the NHL and the team can decide, does this kid have it or not. If he comes up with a chip on his shoulder and lights it up, you have him back up Saros in the playoffs. Maybe he gets some playoff time too and he lights it up. If he does, maybe you consider moving Saros before his NMC kicks in. I truly believe this is where Askarov was short-sighted. Sure, it looks like there isn't a path forward here for 9 years. If you're as good as you think you are, you make a space for yourself on the roster with your play. You go out and dominate. It's unfortunate he's had two playoff runs that look like most of our goalies.

Come to camp, make a case for yourself. Make it a hard decision for them to send you down. Make them call you up because you're shutting teams down nightly and in dominating fashion. Great players seem to have a chip on their shoulder, this is what makes them who they are. Yeah, you might think your path is blocked. Do something ungoalie like and unblock it.

While Saros has been relatively healthy, you just never know when someone goes down for an extended period of time and you're given the reigns. Be ready to seize that moment.

Will the Preds do any of what I suggested above, more than likely not, as in like 99.9% not happening. For a team that seems to struggle putting a Cup winning team on the ice, you have to make bold decisions and while I get what Trotz did, he and Poile should've moved Saros the season before last when everyone was getting traded away. It made the most sense then so you didn't end up where you are today with a soon to be 30 year old goalie on a massive deal with a great prospect waiting in the wings wanting to get moved.

Hindsight is always great and I'm sure in 2-3 years and then in another 7-9 years it'll be interesting to see how this all played out.
And if we assume that Trotz has been looking at options to move him all this time, making most out of those opportunities would increase his value and chances that someone takes a chance with him. I mean right now he's not a proven NHL goalie, but the potential is there. Show everyone what you've got with the opportunities that arise sooner or later and hesitant GM's would no longer hesitate. Assuming you're good enough to make such splash.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Dean Evason played Trenin for half of the games in Milwaukee one season. That half time AHL player has gone on to play five NHL seasons (299 games ) so far.

Columbus and Evason deserve each other. Too bad that Nashville only plays them twice a season, instead of six times.

The problem is not in Milwaukee. We have an excellent coach in Karl Taylor. The Ads have finished in the top 4 of 32 AHL teams two years in a row. That is not getting "lucky".

Last season, the Ads averaged 6140 fans per home game. That is more than Arizona had, and more than 2/3 of the AHL had. You have a winning minor league team with very good fan support. When I was in Henderson, NV in January, the guy at the beverage stand told me that San Diego has "6 fans when they visit and you guys have about 100".

Nashville has not done much since 2018. Milwaukee has won 4 playoff series in the last two seasons, with a division title and a second place. They don't hope for a WC spot.
So you're saying we should be praising our GMs for building a contender in Milwaukee, rather than bashing them for the mediocrity of the NHL team! :D

• Haha
Reactions: hockey diva

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Playing armchair...If it helps the return greatly, I really don't care about getting a first back. I'd say we just go for the best prospect we can get and move on.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hi, Detroit fan in here.

If the trade for Askarov would happen, what would Nashville like as a trade piece coming on your way?

- 2025 DET 1st round pick ?
- 2021 1st round pick G Sebastian Cossa (will report to AHL, easily for at least 2 seasons)
- 2023 2nd round pick G Trey Augustine ?
- 2023 1st round pick C Nate Danielson ?
- 2023 1st round pick RD Axel Sandin Pellikka ?
- 2024 1st round pick RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygård ?
- 2022 1st round pick C Marco Kasper ?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Playing armchair...If it helps the return greatly, I really don't care about getting a first back. I'd say we just go for the best prospect we can get and move on.
Depends on what that level of prospect is. I mean if the best you can pull is a middling guy who won't be anything more than a 4th line player I don't see the point. It's worth not taking that just to prove your point as a GM.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Hi, Detroit fan in here.

If the trade for Askarov would happen, what would Nashville like as a trade piece coming on your way?

- 2021 1st round pick G Sebastian Cossa (will report to AHL, easily for at least 2 seasons)
I'd love Danielson. Based on leverage, I'd think the Preds would have to add, here.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

I still think if Poile is here Saros never is given that deal. I think Poile planned to ride Saros until the end of his contract and then let him go. I think the minute Poile drafted Askarov he viewed Saros as a stop gap. That all changed when Trotz came in.

That said I also don't think you have the UFA offseason we had either if he was still in charge because I don't think he would have went that route.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Depends on what that level of prospect is. I mean if the best you can pull is a middling guy who won't be anything more than a 4th line player I don't see the point. It's worth not taking that just to prove your point as a GM.
Well, yeah. I didn't mean trade him for a sandwich voucher. I'd certainly want quality.

I'm basing it on a couple things. First, not only is Askarov a top prospect, but he also has a few years of development. Second, we have 6 picks (2 firsts) in the first few rounds of this draft already. Based on those, I'd rather get the best prospect I could and not really focus on getting a pick.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Hi, Detroit fan in here.

I would take almost any of those. Maybe not Augustine. But most of the rest are possibly too much for Detroit to even offer. :dunno:

Reactions: Henkka

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well, yeah. I didn't mean trade him for a sandwich voucher. I'd certainly want quality.

I'm basing it on a couple things. First, not only is Askarov a top prospect, but he also has a few years of development. Second, we have 6 picks (2 firsts) in the first few rounds of this draft already. Based on those, I'd rather get the best prospect I could and not really focus on getting a pick.
I'd agree but I think if that was out there he already would have been gone.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Hi, Detroit fan in here.

MB-N + Nate Danielson

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Hi, Detroit fan in here.

I wouldnt have much interest in Augustine, Cossa, 2025 1st, or Nygard due to varying reasons.

Cossa and Augustine just delay the issue that we have now. We shouldnt really start seriously drafting goalies for another 2 drafts.

Nygard - so many of our high draft picks and prospects are wingers. I wouldnt be bothered if he was the return just disappointed because we didnt address organizational weaknesses with our best prospect.

2025 1st is tough to gauge but i think it would be a worse positioned pick than what we drafted askarov at. This is one id consider only if we knew where the pick was.

The Cs and RHD would be my target.

Reactions: Henkka

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I still think if Poile is here Saros never is given that deal. I think Poile planned to ride Saros until the end of his contract and then let him go. I think the minute Poile drafted Askarov he viewed Saros as a stop gap. That all changed when Trotz came in.

That said I also don't think you have the UFA offseason we had either if he was still in charge because I don't think he would have went that route.
It may have also changed when Saros became a Vezina caliber goalie for a couple of seasons. I'll reiterate, we knew Saros was going to take the starters spot from Rinne, but we didn't know of we were getting Rinne 2.0 or Dan Ellis 2.0 at the time Askarov was drafted.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldnt have much interest in Augustine, Cossa, 2025 1st, or Nygard due to varying reasons.

Cossa and Augustine just delay the issue that we have now. We shouldnt really start seriously drafting goalies for another 2 drafts.

Nygard - so many of our high draft picks and prospects are wingers. I wouldnt be bothered if he was the return just disappointed because we didnt address organizational weaknesses with our best prospect.

2025 1st is tough to gauge but i think it would be a worse positioned pick than what we drafted askarov at. This is one id consider only if we knew where the pick was.

The Cs and RHD would be my target.
I wouldn't get too hung up on positional needs or just how high any 1st round pick is. We're not going to get a #11 pick back for Askarov. We're going to be beggars not choosers in this scenario that Askarov has kindly dumped on us.

Cossa is almost as good as Askarov, and I do think we need another prospect goalie in the pipeline. We actually WANT to get a young understudy in behind Saros. We just need one who is willing to follow a sensible path in that regard, and since Askarov won't, we can hope Cossa would. I think it would be great if we had a top prospect goalie ready to challenge Wedgewood right away.

As for wingers... sure, if we have offers coming from other teams for equivalent/better prospects who are centers or RD, they'd get precedence (e.g. Bystedt from San Jose). But if we don't have other good offers, I'm not against taking a good winger like Nygard. If he's the best prospect anybody offers us, then I'd still take him. Again, I think we're beggars here, not choosers.

And then I'm not at all confident Detroit will be a playoff team. I'd certainly be willing to gamble on taking their 1st. Worst case it could be around #20? Best case much higher. That's a great return for Askarov in our current situation now.

Anyway, I don't believe Detroit would offer ANY of these assets for Askarov. They already have Cossa. There's really no point in going after Askarov for them at all IMO. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad