Niagara IceDogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
So part of the 2007 Frolov trade wasn’t Jaiden, Nolan, Isaac or Fig Newton, but instead draft picks and a lesser asset (2005 Scott). Management will have a difficult time explaining this to a fan base sold on a re-build around an impressive collection 2007s (minus 1 now lol) and 2008s. Trade one of the league’s best 07 defenceman?

:popcorn::huh:

Last edited:

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
So part of the 2007 Frolov trade wasn’t Jaiden, Nolan, Isaac or Fig Newton, but instead draft picks and a asset (2005 Scott). Management will have a difficult time explaining this to a fan base sold on a re-build around an impressive collection 2007s (minus 1 now lol) and 2008s. Trade one of the league’s best 07 defenceman?

:popcorn::huh:
Betting one or both wanted out which is the reason for the trade but Darren will make something else up

Reactions: the dog

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Betting one or both wanted out which is the reason for the trade but Darren will make something else up

Frolov requesting a new address is the only thing that makes sense. They would have had more leverage otherwise. I think it is more likely Frolov’s name was out there and they were used to help facilitate because Flint would rather have Frolov than Brauti.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
I am sorry but I don't see any reason to be part of this trade. Keep the two young d men and trade a 4th or a 5th for an over ager to supplement the d core

Reactions: MJ5 and the dog

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
#SELLTHETEAM...I wish that I wasn't so obsessed with minor hockey so I could give up my seasons tickets but this owner is an embarrassment and should be forced out by the league before it's too late. With former players like Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Marcel Dionne having played their minor hockey in St. Catharines, the city is the right place for a franchise but we deserve an owner that can treat their fan base with the respect they deserve.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
#SELLTHETEAM...I wish that I wasn't so obsessed with minor hockey so I could give up my seasons tickets but this owner is an embarrassment and should be forced out by the league before it's too late. With former players like Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Marcel Dionne having played their minor hockey in St. Catharines, the city is the right place for a franchise but we deserve an owner that can treat their fan base with the respect they deserve.
Exactly. Every other owner in the league understands that having an OHL team, for the most part, is not a money making venture. It's not a business. You can't treat it like it is and you can't make penny pinching moves if you want to be successful. It's not a f'ing McDonalds. These teams are for the communities. They need someone that understands that.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
Exactly. Every other owner in the league understands that having an OHL team, for the most part, is not a money making venture. It's not a business. You can't treat it like it is and you can't make penny pinching moves if you want to be successful. It's not a f'ing McDonalds. These teams are for the communities. They need someone that understands that.
He has definitely taken the wrong approach for the success of the team. The financial success is not a transactional undertaking for a team but instead, the overall appeal that has been gained from purchase to sale.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Certainly going to miss the ad-free nature of the "other site" but I have to fill my OHL vacuum!
If ads on a website are bugging you then the ohl within 5 years will drive you nuts. Look in Europe. Look at the nhl they started it too. Don’t forget about basketball either.

Hearing how much DD likes his $$$ I’m sure they may be the first team to do it

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
OHL teams generate more than enough revenue to operate in a first-class manner, but not if ownership uses debt financing to purchase a team for, say, $20 million. In other words, the mortgage payments are expensive. A $20 million loan at 5% interest with a 10 year amortization = $211,000 per month ($2.5 million per year). Even if the purchaser digs into his own pocket for 50% of the purchase price upfront (unlikely, but possible), the yearly loan payments are still a cool $1 million.

And that’s how we get bus rides through snowstorms instead of hotels. Hypothetically — I’m not the kind of guy to suggest any of this applies to the Niagara franchise.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OHL teams generate more than enough revenue to operate in a first-class manner, but not if ownership uses debt financing to purchase a team for, say, $20 million. In other words, the mortgage payments are expensive. A $20 million loan at 5% interest with a 10 year amortization = $211,000 per month ($2.5 million per year). Even if the purchaser digs into his own pocket for 50% of the purchase price upfront (unlikely, but possible), the yearly loan payments are still a cool $1 million.

And that’s how we get bus rides through snowstorms instead of hotels. Hypothetically — I’m not the kind of guy to suggest any of this applies to the Niagara franchise.

If I won $70mil tonight, I would have zero issues dropping $20mil on this franchise. Great fan base. Great rink. Awesome community. It has all the attributes to be successful. Top 5 location in the league imo.

But your analysis is very accurate. You only need about 2500 per game plus one round in the playoffs and decent advertising rights to break even. That is a low bar. But debt servicing is real. Even if not paying down principal and only covering interest, it would be $50k per year per $1mil loan.

Most banks would only loan 50-70% of the franchise value. So, you have to think him and his investment partners covered somewhere between $6-$10mil. That means, at minimum, debt service is $500k per year.

Reactions: MJ5

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012

I think this 100% describes the situation in Niagara.

And I also think the situation in Niagara is why the OHL has announced they are going to set minimum standards on how players need to be treated.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Education package
false, he doesnt have a gold package.

I think this 100% describes the situation in Niagara.

And I also think the situation in Niagara is why the OHL has announced they are going to set minimum standards on how players need to be treated.
they actually have them spelled out in the standard agreement and in the league bi-laws (teams are not allowed to not feed kids on the road as an example, niagara ignored that one), but they probably will have to now mandate hotel stays and standards of hotels thanks to niagara.

Reactions: Roadhog

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
@OHL4Life Is DD finally able to be around his team again this season?
I can't remember how long the sanctions were for or when they ended.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
If I won $70mil tonight, I would have zero issues dropping $20mil on this franchise. Great fan base. Great rink. Awesome community. It has all the attributes to be successful. Top 5 location in the league imo.

^^^ That. Then hire professional staff to actually contend.

Reactions: dogs777

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
@OHL4Life Is DD finally able to be around his team again this season?
I can't remember how long the sanctions were for or when they ended.
if he still has the team in a year he will be back and probably be the gm. he has health issues that may restrict his ability to travel but im sure he will still make himslef the manager.

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
if he still has the team in a year he will be back and probably be the gm. he has health issues that may restrict his ability to travel but im sure he will still make himslef the manager.
Everyone here in Niagara hopes he doesn’t still have the team by then but he unfortunately will

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Everyone here in Niagara hopes he doesn’t still have the team by then but he unfortunately will
well see. ive heard the interest rate on the loan he used to by the team is very high, maybe he will re-negotiate. i think he will be around to be honest, ego is too high to sell unless he bleeds badly.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
well see. ive heard the interest rate on the loan he used to by the team is very high, maybe he will re-negotiate. i think he will be around to be honest, ego is too high to sell unless he bleeds badly.
In spite of the OHL posting record attendance, locally, that has not been the case. Niagara slipped to 9th place overall, averaging 3,878 per game. If the STH numbers are as predicted, the IceDogs will be around the 3,000 mark which could indicate dangerous levels of hemorrhage.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
Visited the "other" site today and it is gone. First the original, then the replacement. Sad day, it was another thing that made Niagara unique (other than having a clueless owner).

the dog

May 16, 2014
Visited the "other" site today and it is gone. First the original, then the replacement. Sad day, it was another thing that made Niagara unique (other than having a clueless owner).
3 years of being worse club in league will do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad