Confirmed Trade: [OTT/EDM] Xavier Bourgault and Jake Chiasson for Roby Jarventie and 2025 4th round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
lol from who?

the majority of people were quite displeased with the pick considering over 75% of the board wanted walstedt.

That opinion isn’t revolutionary

I know I threw my toys out of my pram when they did the trade and the Wild took him. Both picks the oilers got for doing that trade are trending badly and one has now been traded

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
The Oilers literally just drafted a goalie in the 2nd round. Not a 1st rounder but still a highly drafted goalie.
So? Not the 1st round is it? Remember the last time they drafted a goalie in the 1st round? And how successful he became? Devan Dubnyk #15 in the **2004** draft !! :oops:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
lol from who?

the majority of people were quite displeased with the pick considering over 75% of the board wanted walstedt.

That opinion isn’t revolutionary
About the only crap people would've given is to not just completely right off Bourgault because the guy you wanted wasn't picked.

Essentially the same thing that happens with ever pick the Oilers make. There is always a group that will just shit on whoever we pick because their guy wasn't picked.

Granted our drafting has been great in the first round, but outside of McDavid there have been haters about every pick we've ever made in the first round. Even Leon and Old man Bouchard.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Can't blame him for that, though.
Nope it was all on Holland. Just think of how much better the goalie depth would of been if we just picked the goalie. Lets not forget his Nurse and Campbell contracts. Mind you he did leave the team in better shape then Chia did.

kife

Dec 18, 2011
I didn't hate Jarventie when he was picked - was moderately intrigued. I have not really liked him since though, he's always been a huge floater. Moving to center improved that slightly, by nature of the position, but he still reverts to that tendency far too often. Not going to miss him tbh...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So is it Jarventie with a Ja like Jarvis.. or is pronounced Yarventie

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense from an Oilers standpoint. Bourgault doesn't seem like he's tracking to "make it" as anything, and seems extra redundant for them, now with Savoie in the fold as a much better version of vaguely the same sort of player. So Jarventie makes a lot more sense to me. Has to get healthier and still seems to have a lot of work cut out for him. But probably closer to making a depth impact, if he's going to at all. Which fits Oilers timeline better.

Not sure what Ottawa likes about this, but hey...2-for-1! Must be a good deal!!!??? I guess? Mitigating some risk by pushing things down the road a little further?

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I didn't hate Jarventie when he was picked - was moderately intrigued. I have not really liked him since though, he's always been a huge floater. Moving to center improved that slightly, by nature of the position, but he still reverts to that tendency far too often. Not going to miss him tbh...
Does he find a way to get himself lost behind coverage and get open for his shot? Definitely not expecting someone gritty based on what I've heard, but is he finding openings to get the puck? Did he play LW or C when he was up with the big club last season?

kife

Dec 18, 2011
Does he find a way to get himself lost behind coverage and get open for his shot? Definitely not expecting someone gritty based on what I've heard, but is he finding openings to get the puck? Did he play LW or C when he was up with the big club last season?
His shot is his main asset - so getting open for it is generally his plan. Had some success with it in the minors, not so much in his limited time in the NHL where quality of competition and speed is higher, who knows maybe he'll adjust. I can't remember what position they had him at in his brief sojourn, I actually think they had him at wing - but he wasn't getting many minutes.. Obviously in the Ahl they were trying him out at center due to his periodic lack of engagement on the wing (He does have good size and skates well though which may have also tempered this decision). I don't consider his playmaking particularly noteworthy/above average in any way and he's fairly invisible/passive defensively. He has potential to develop, but I haven't seen anything that indicates he'd be anything more than a good AHLer, could be wrong - you never know.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised.
He has a good overall skill level and a greta shot, IMO he was hitting his stride last year before his injury.
PPG in the AHL and look noticeably better and very comfortable on the 3/4th line playing good two way hockey showing nice flashes of offence when paired with good players.
Jarventie is still 21, was a project, and looks like he’s progressing how you’d hope - not going to lose a lot of sleep here but strange trade imo.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad