Confirmed Trade: [OTT/EDM] Xavier Bourgault and Jake Chiasson for Roby Jarventie and 2025 4th round pick

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I don't know what to think about this trade. I do, however, trust Jeff Jackson. So it is probably a win for the Oilers.

Bourgault was always a controversial pick. We had high hopes for him, but c'est la vie.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Oilers fired their head of scouting this year and weren't happy with where Bourgault was, and Jarventie was drafted before Staios. Seems like the typical case of new management cutting ties with prospects they're not as high on as the people who originally drafted them.

Reactions: McDoused

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Can't blame him for that, though.
Haha yes of course not.

apparently Paul Coffey tried until he was blue in the face to get the Oilers to take Johnston but we didn't listen.
Ouch, that would be an insanely helpful player on that team this season too.

Win some, lose some though. Nature of the draft, some years you get Johnston, some you get Greig, maybe once in a decade somebody gets Pastrnak and the rest of the time you get a guy you hope can contribute one day.

Or you trade up and get Biggs and Percy. :skeptic:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Haha yes of course not.

Ouch, that would be an insanely helpful player on that team this season too.

Win some, lose some though. Nature of the draft, some years you get Johnston, some you get Greig, maybe once in a decade somebody gets Pastrnak and the rest of the time you get a guy you hope can contribute one day.

Or you trade up and get Biggs and Percy. :skeptic:
and sometimes you trade down out of the Jesper Wallstedt draft spot to take Bourgault and Munzenberger

1721061648715.png

Bourgault’s value comes from being a former 1st round pick. Although drafted in different years, Jarventie is actually only 2 months older than Bourgault.

Jarventie has seen steady progression since turning pro, Bourgault hasn’t.

Win for EDM.
We've won more trades in a month of Jeff Jackson running things than in the two decades prior.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
The Oilers are the oldest team in the league with a weak prospect pool. Its clear JJ sees the need here for revamp the team's prospect pool as Draisaitl, Mcdavid and Bouchard will all get raises and some vets will have to be moved out in the coming years.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Bourgault’s value comes from being a former 1st round pick. Although drafted in different years, Jarventie is actually only 2 months older than Bourgault.

Jarventie has seen steady progression since turning pro, Bourgault hasn’t.

Win for EDM.

Jarventie has also seen a steady decline in GP's since turning pro, which I'm sure factors into Staois' decision to deal him. He had knee surgery this past season and it will likely delay his return this upcoming season.

That's not to say there isn't something there with him as far as being a talented prospect. He's got very good tools and good size so if he ends up being past his injury troubles I could see this being a W for the Oilers. At the same time I don't view this as a L for Ottawa as I don't think he was going to have an impact at the NHL level as a Senator and they can take a swing on two guys Staois would presumably have a high grade on.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Bourgault was ranked in that range and was one of the few who had a decent sample size that year and years prior, due to the Q playing and he being a late birthday (thus the extra year of junior). I tend to give most scouting staffs some slack for the 2021 COVID Draft

Not so much him being picked at that range but the Oilers in particular trading back and drafting him.

He's a top 6 or nothing prospect with little size and needs the puck to be effective. There already wasn't a lot of room in the Oils' top 6 and certainly not a lot for a guy who needs the puck. Edmonton was definitely better off trading that pick for help on defense or goal, or drafting a goalie, or even a cost controlled RFA fwd would have made more sense. Instead they took Bourgault who was physically underdeveloped and likely to be 3-4 years minimum before he's ready to have an impact.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What's the scouting report on Roby? Has he had a multitude of injuries or were they all knee related?

Bourgault had a decent rookie pro season and then a disaster of a sophomore season where he said that he may have bulked up too much in the offseason.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Jarventie is a classic all the tools but no toolbox player.

Remains to be seen whether he has to desire and capacity to put it together.

Moving him to center seemed to help a few years ago as he was more involved and engaged. Floated a lot when playing wing.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Is Jarventie or Bourgault the superior prospect at this point?
I think it’s both a wash. XB had nothing going for him in Bakersfield. I’ve never heard of Jarventie but people are talking like a. Change of scenery is good for them both. At the end of the day it’s a nothing deal that probably won’t affect the nhl teams

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I have an unfair dislike for Jarventie that has nothing to do with him as a player. For that reason, I am happy with this meaningless move.

Note:
Because I really wanted the guy picked right after him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Is Jarventie or Bourgault the superior prospect at this point?
I don't know about Jarventie, but Chaisson might be as good of a prospect as Bourgault. Bourgault reeks of bust. I am glad we got something for him, even if I don't know anything about the guy we got back, and I hope he turns it around in Otttawa's organization.

• Haha
Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad