The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 188 58.8%
  • B

Votes: 113 35.3%
  • C

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The biggest concern i had this season was Dach not having talent to play with, impacting his development. This is a crucial point in Dach's development where he needs to step into a top-6 role. Having top-line talent in Laine (assuming he and Laine are healthy) will accelerate Dach's development.

This was a good developmental move IMO. Buys time for Demidov.
I’m fine with the Laine move. We had the cap space, and it’s only 2 years. Not a concern, and there’s significant upside there.

It’s when the team starts to get competitive (making the playoffs) is when things start to get tricky, and it starts to become like navigating a minefield as far as trades and signings go.

GMs get overzealous and make a crucial mistake at the wrong time thinking it’s going to put them over the top. Sometimes it’s even signing your own homegrown player to a bad deal (e.g. the Oilers and Nurse), and there goes the rebuild. Such is life with the cap.

Thankfully, Hughes has already laid a lot of the groundwork with getting young core pieces locked up on great long term deals (Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Slafkovsky).

But the hard part is still yet to come. How he deals with managing the cap and roster when guys like Reinbacher, Demidov, Hutson, Mailloux are coming off their ELCs and needing new deals is going to be crucial.

One bad major signing in this next phase could really wreck everything, and that’s when it usually happens.

Reactions: themilosh

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Next year Solidify third line (Roy, newhook, whoever) and completely rebuild fourth line with size and grit.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
It’s time to start thinking about a RD ladies and gentlemen. We lose Savard next season, meaning we have Barron DR and Mailloux on the roster. Big big yikes. Too soon, too green.

We need a 26 year old RD that can shield the two other (DR and Mailloux) while they develop. You know how hard it is for young D’s to come into their own so pain ahead if we don’t isolate them.

I nominate Rasmus Andersson in Calgary for that spot. Very good player, complete, pretty agressive too. He will be traded because Flames have no one else to trade to get picks for the rebuild.

I say offer a LOT of our picks and get him ASAP, before he hits UFA market. Let’s not compete with the rest of the league for his services shall we.

Also, pry Askarov from the Preds. 1A / 1B Monty and Askarov. Then when Fowler gets enough experience (G’s take forever) in 4 years, 1A / 1B Askarov and Fowler.

So ;
Andersson and Askarov.

The rebuild will then be complete.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
I say offer a LOT of our picks and get him ASAP, before he hits UFA market.
Something like this?
  • Rasmus Andersson
Flames receive :
  • CAL/FLA 1st. They get to cover their ass in case their roster overperform and finishes 11-15, or get a third 1st round pick (They have NJ from Markstrom trade).
  • Habs 2025 2nd, Pittsburgh 2025 2nd, Habs 2025 3rd, CBJ 2026 2nd.
  • Filip Mesar
  • Josh Anderson as salary match
They would now have 3 1st, 5 2nd (they already have 3!!) and 2 3rd in this upcoming draft. They’d have 10 picks in the first 96 picks to help kickstart their rebuild, and because their own 2nd and the 2 we are giving them (ours and Pittsburgh) would be 3 early ones, they’d have 6 picks in the first ~45 picks.

And CBJ 2026 2nd that will probably be an early 2nd.

Mesar... just tell Calgary he’s basically another 1st!

If they trade us Andersson it’s because they’re tearing it down. They won’t be competing for a long time.

We’re giving them 5 good picks and a prospect that would be one of the best prospect in their pool right away. The can take back a bad contract in exchange like Josh Anderson.

And all the fans who have Andersson jerseys don’t even have to get a new one, they can still wear it! Andersson, Anderson, who can tell the difference anyway? Their announcers don’t even have to learn a new name and we’d be saving their fans plenty of money. Actually, might have to take back a 2nd because of this.

We would still have our 1st, 2 3rd, 2 4th and 1 pick in round 5/6/7. No more 2nd tho. For now at least, until we trade Matheson/Savard/Dvorak/Armia/Evans... Then we recoup everything and then some. :D

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dauv and Gustave

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Something like this?
  • Rasmus Andersson
Flames receive :
  • CAL/FLA 1st. They get to cover their ass in case their roster overperform and finishes 11-15, or get a third 1st round pick (They have NJ from Markstrom trade).
  • Filip Mesar
They would now have 3 1st, 5 2nd (they already have 3!!) and 2 3rd in this upcoming draft. They’d have 10 picks in the first 96 picks to help kickstart their rebuild, and because their own 2nd and the 2 we are giving them (ours and Pittsburgh) would be 3 early ones, they’d have 6 picks in the first ~45 picks.

If they trade us Andersson it’s because they’re tearing it down. They won’t be competing for a long time.

We’re giving them 5 good picks and a prospect that would be one of the best prospect in their pool right away. The can take back a bad contract in exchange like Josh Anderson.

And all the fans who have Andersson jerseys don’t even have to get a new one, they can still wear it! Andersson, Anderson, who can tell the difference anyway? Their announcers don’t even have to learn a new name and we’d be saving their fans plenty of money. Actually, might have to take back a 2nd because of this.

We would still have our 1st, 2 3rd, 2 4th and 1 pick in round 5/6/7. No more 2nd tho. For now at least, until we trade Matheson/Savard/Dvorak/Armia/Evans... Then we recoup everything and then some. :D

Wait are you suggesting we trade a 1st, 3 2nds, a 3rd and Filip Mesar for this guy?

I mean honestly are you smoking something heavier than what's legal?

Here we just got paid to take on Laine and gave up zero assets and this dude busts through the door and proposes we give up 20x the assets for Rasmus Andersson. The Laine deal should give you a clue as to how shrewd a trader KH is, this is complete bologna.

There are no words to express how unlikely this is, it's not within earthly reality. You will sooner be struck by lightning during a shark attack with the winning 6/49 ticket in your pocket.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Wait are you suggesting we trade a 1st, 3 2nds, a 3rd and Filip Mesar for this guy?

Here we just got paid to take on Laine and gave up zero assets and this dude busts through the door and proposes we give up 20x the assets for Rasmus Andersson. The Laine deal should give you a clue as to how shrewd a trader KH is, this is complete bologna.

There are no words to express how unlikely this is, it's not within earthly reality. You will sooner be struck by lightning during a shark attack with the winning 6/49 ticket in your pocket.

Yes I’m serious.

Trade them picks. We probably have the deepest prospect pool in the league after this past draft. Several youngsters knocking at the door this year and the year after. What, keep them picks and make another 20 selections this year? Then we have 60 prospects? We are already overflowing, won’t have enough opportunity for all of them. It’s time to consolidate them into something tangible. We’re still gonna have 8 picks in 7 rounds this upcoming draft to add to our already S-tier pool.

Our core is now locked up, we’re still gonna have all of our picks moving forward except this year 2nd and all our prospects except Mesar who really doesn’t have room here anymore after the arrival of Laine/Demidov/Hage/Roy. Mesar is a top 6 or bust prospect. Odds of him beating the wingers we already have in the system right now are slim. He’s not gonna be a bottom 6, tight-checking, physical 2 way player. And we have a shitload of those coming up too. Use whatever value he still has in a trade.

We get a top pairing RD in his prime for 2 more years at a bargain deal and dump Josh Anderson contract. Rasmus will handle the tough matchups for the next 2 years while teaching the ropes to Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron. Guhle will go back to his natural side and won’t have to cover for Matheson defensive weakness. The value Rasmus will bring in development to Guhle/Reinbacher/Mailloux/Barron is worth more than those picks.

The cap space we save by dumping Anderson will be valuable in acquiring someone later (trade or UFA) or re-signing all our players.

We’ll get some of those picks back by trading Matheson (1st) and Savard (2nd or 3rd) retained at the deadline.

If in 2 years Rasmuss wants to re-sign a team friendly deal, awesome. If not, re-assess. If by then we are a playoff team with aspirations keep him for that playoff run. The experience will be invaluable for our youngsters. If not, a 29YO 50% retained Rasmus Andersson will get us back at least a 2nd if not a first from a contender.

Perfect fit for our young D development until they take the reign, great contract for 2 years in his prime, we’ll get some of those picks back, we keep all our picks and trade one prospect in our absurd pool we probably won’t have room for and dump an anchor contract to gain some valuable cap space.

Like I said trade them picks, get him.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You always need picks. If we bundle four 2nd round picks (let's just say we get one for Savard and one for Dvorak) along with our two first round picks to move up in the first round a team in the top 10 might bite.

There's needs and needs.....we don't need picks and we don't even need another top 10 picks,
The rebuild is over, the mindset must change or we'll end up in a forever rebuild.

As I said, of course it would be nice to get picks or another top 10 picks but not necessary. If I have a choice this season between pushing my young prospect into even the last PO spot available or getting another 2nd and 3rd round pick, I choose giving my new core that experience 10 times out of 10 considering where we are at in this rebuild

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's needs and needs.....we don't need picks and we don't even need another top 10 picks,
The rebuild is over, the mindset must change or we'll end up in a forever rebuild.

As I said, of course it would be nice to get picks or another top 10 picks but not necessary. If I have a choice this season between pushing my young prospect into even the last PO spot available or getting another 2nd and 3rd round pick, I choose giving my new core that experience 10 times out of 10 considering where we are at in this rebuild

New Jersey got Silayev at 11 just last year.. so we can still add a massive prospect to our prospect pool while still pushing for the playoffs.

Catton went 8th.
Benson went 13th.

Like we are still in position to make a big step for the team and still add to our incredible prospect pool.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Something like this?
  • Rasmus Andersson
Flames receive :
  • Filip Mesar

It’s a lot, but at the same time we seem to rid ourselves of Anderson…

You get the idea, maybe not as many picks though :laugh:, but the target remains important and the premium to get RD’s does exist.

Thanks for the input :)

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

It does seem a lot, but I’d venture to say that that type of top RD don’t come cheap, and the competition with other teams to get their services does lend to inflated prices. Prime first pairing RD are in demand and scarce.

You could wiggle the thing but the idea remains the good one in my estimation. At some point we will « lose » a trade to get our guy. MB refused to do so and it cost us dearly early in his tenure. Hugo will bite the bullet for a prime asset someday, I’d reckon. Andersson is a prime target a huge need for us.

Do you see other RD’s out there? I have a hard time seeing what could be out there.

dauv

Sep 23, 2022
Something like this?
  • Rasmus Andersson
Flames receive :
  • Filip Mesar

talk about an overpayment.

Yes I’m serious.

Trade them picks. We probably have the deepest prospect pool in the league after this past draft. Several youngsters knocking at the door this year and the year after. What, keep them picks and make another 20 selections this year? Then we have 60 prospects? We are already overflowing, won’t have enough opportunity for all of them. It’s time to consolidate them into something tangible. We’re still gonna have 8 picks in 7 rounds this upcoming draft to add to our already S-tier pool.

Our core is now locked up, we’re still gonna have all of our picks moving forward except this year 2nd and all our prospects except Mesar who really doesn’t have room here anymore after the arrival of Laine/Demidov/Hage/Roy. Mesar is a top 6 or bust prospect. Odds of him beating the wingers we already have in the system right now are slim. He’s not gonna be a bottom 6, tight-checking, physical 2 way player. And we have a shitload of those coming up too. Use whatever value he still has in a trade.

We get a top pairing RD in his prime for 2 more years at a bargain deal and dump Josh Anderson contract. Rasmus will handle the tough matchups for the next 2 years while teaching the ropes to Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron. Guhle will go back to his natural side and won’t have to cover for Matheson defensive weakness. The value Rasmus will bring in development to Guhle/Reinbacher/Mailloux/Barron is worth more than those picks.

The cap space we save by dumping Anderson will be valuable in acquiring someone later (trade or UFA) or re-signing all our players.

We’ll get some of those picks back by trading Matheson (1st) and Savard (2nd or 3rd) retained at the deadline.

If in 2 years Rasmuss wants to re-sign a team friendly deal, awesome. If not, re-assess. If by then we are a playoff team with aspirations keep him for that playoff run. The experience will be invaluable for our youngsters. If not, a 29YO 50% retained Rasmus Andersson will get us back at least a 2nd if not a first from a contender.

Perfect fit for our young D development until they take the reign, great contract for 2 years in his prime, we’ll get some of those picks back, we keep all our picks and trade one prospect in our absurd pool we probably won’t have room for and dump an anchor contract to gain some valuable cap space.

Like I said trade them picks, get him.
I get your reasoning though.... Still think it's an overpayment though

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Good point about Toews, although he was one of the best defensive centers of his generation. I don't think the same can be said about Suzuki but hopefully he'll makes up for it with better offense.
Toews also benefited from a world class D pairing which never gets mentioned and is a huge part of his success.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
With Laine we should stay put and find out what we have with the player /prospect we currently have.

Suzuki, Matheson are the most establish

CC, Dach, Slaf, Laine, Guhle are NHLer needed to fill core role

Newhook, Roy, Xhekaj, Monty NHLer need to big play role

Demidov, Hage, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Folwer and Barron are all prospect which need to play core or big role

Beck, Kapanen, Mesar type prospects looking to play support role

all exemple of team that kind a trip them self trying to speed thing up... We need to stay patient
Toronto - Move pick (1st+2nd) to get Andersen, signing Marleau/having to trade a 1st to dump him, signing Tavares screwing you cap structure, tried adding offense multple time (ROR/Foligno and more) when they need D or a goalie
Edmonton - had many flase starts
Ottawa / Detroit

Reactions: bopeep

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Laine....40 goal potential
Caufield.....40 goal potential
Slaf.....35 goal potential
Suzuki....35 goal potential
Dach.....30 goal potential
Demi......who the hell knows???

What is happening here???

Are we an offensive powerhouse?
There are only so many goals to go around. Having a handful of 30 goal guys means you have great support on all three lines.
I think we will have enough forward thinking Dmen but we are certainly not strong enough on our third and fourth lines.
We are still at least 2 years away from having enough depth on our main roster.
The one thing I will say is we have guys who can score but it takes more than that.

Reactions: themilosh

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Caufield has 50 goal potential if he can get his shoulder straight.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Doubtful Dach gets close to 30 goals, he's always been a playmaker first and foremost.

One problem with this type of exercise is that one guy scoring probably means less scoring for somebody else. For example Caufield/Laine are both competing for the same triggerman role on the PP meaning as one guy scores and takes that role the other is losing those prime opportunities. In a similar vein if Slaf and Suzuki have a 40 goal scorer on their line they both probably end up shooting less and passing more.

That said I wouldn't bet against us being top-10 in the NHL for goals next season.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I had us finishing 20th before Laine trade. My plans were using Miami pick and pick we get for Savard to trade up. Get a McQueen or Martone. Usually somebody slides.

That's out the door now. Most likely. Laine should jump us up close to 16th. Probably can't sell Savard and others at deadline. Lose bunch of high picks.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The next step is for us to start beating Ottawa consistently.
We haven't beat them in nine games which was good because I was leery when they kept hanging around our tank, :sarcasm:
Let 'er rip boys. :D

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
New Jersey got Silayev at 11 just last year.. so we can still add a massive prospect to our prospect pool while still pushing for the playoffs.

Catton went 8th.
Benson went 13th.

Like we are still in position to make a big step for the team and still add to our incredible prospect pool.

Not debating that.....but honestly, there's a limited offensive spot on this team and considering Demidov next year, I think we're already full now.

But that was beside the point I was making.
I just feel that if the Habs are still in a good PO race and the choice is trading Savard for 2nd round pick, I would keep him for the rest of the season and give the kids a chance.

But that's the good position KH has put this organization in......I would have a whole different point of view if we didn't already have those 4 picks in the first 2 round next year and a shit tons of prospect. We already have all we need.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I assume we will be in the wildcard race this year, if we stay healthy. Organic growth and additions to the roster could bring us there:
GFGAGD
Season 23-24
236​
289​
-53​
G- no 3G rotation
-5​
D- more experience of young Ds
-5​
F- Monahan missing (5on5)
-5​
F- Dach and Laine addition (5on5)
28​
PP- increase from 17,5% to 21,4%
10​
PP- decrease SHG against (12 to 7)
-5​
PK- reduce penalties (277 to 256)
-5​
Season 24-25
269​
269​
0​

I do not think any of these look unrealistic.
I think 260 gf and 270 against. With decent health. On the bubble.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Next season they should sign Crosby, offer another team a first to take on Anderson or Gallagher.

Laine - Crosby - Slafkovsky
Caulfield - Suzuki - Dach
Demidov - Newhook - Roy
Kapanen - Beck - Anderson or Gallagher
Injury reserve: Pezzetta, Mesar, Xhekaj, Kidney, Evans

Reactions: Habsfan2992

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad