The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 191 59.3%
  • B

Votes: 113 35.1%
  • C

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I'm hoping we're in the thick of the playoff hunt with 10 games to go. We'll need quite a few players to take another step and most importantly .. Some luck with guys staying healthy for once.

Assuming no more changes are made - My expectation is to be a .500 team with our GD no worse than -20

Reactions: themilosh and bsl

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Laine....40 goal potential
Caufield.....40 goal potential
Slaf.....35 goal potential
Suzuki....35 goal potential
Dach.....30 goal potential
Demi......who the hell knows???

What is happening here???

Are we an offensive powerhouse?
Not yet, we need to fix the bottom 6 but the top 6 definitely has powerhouse potential.

Reactions: themilosh

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Now that we've added (let's say) net 20 goals alongside some organic growth from the talented young core, it doesn't seem like we will be bottom10 in the league. What is next in Hughes' vision for the season?

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Now that we've added (let's say) net 20 goals alongside some organic growth from the talented young core, it doesn't seem like we will be bottom10 in the league. What is next in Hughes' vision for the season?
There is just one aim for this management, to win the Stanley cup. And we are still far from that aim.
G- can Monty be the guy or should we wait for Fowler?
D- right side needs total rebuild, none of Reinbacher, Mailloux or Barron is established in the league
Left side with Guhle, Xhekaj, Hutson, Struble might just need more seasoning
F- top 6, if healthy, would be amazing. Just bring in Demidov next season. Even 3rd line of Roy-Beck-Newhook should be great.
We still have ton of picks and so many other prospects like Engstrom, Konyushkov, Hage, Mesar, Kapanen, Farrell, Heineman who all have realistic NHL potential. Do we trade those for experienced RHD or 1G to speed up the process?

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Next season they should sign Crosby, offer another team a first to take on Anderson or Gallagher.

Laine - Crosby - Slafkovsky
Caulfield - Suzuki - Dach
Demidov - Newhook - Roy
Kapanen - Beck - Anderson or Gallagher
Injury reserve: Pezzetta, Mesar, Xhekaj, Kidney, Evans
If we’re playoff bound this year and Pens suck, I can see this happen

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The next step is to find buyers for Gally and Anderson. Their contracts ideally go at some point. While I like them both as fourth line grinders....they are simply overpaid for that.

I think we need to shore up our RD. As of now I see the depth as...

Reinbacher
Mailloux
Barron

As Guhle will be our eventual top pair LD, who do we pair with him? I prefer one offensively minded D with a shut down guy. My hope is Mailloux shoes top line potential, so he can be the puck mover and risk taker of that pair.

Rein can be the shut down guy for Hutson.

Barron has offensive extincts and ca be paired with WiFi.

Reactions: themilosh

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we’re playoff bound this year and Pens suck, I can see this happen

Problem is we are not likely to have a spot comfortably at the TDL. More likely in the bubble mix group. Difficult to make a futures trade at that point.

Nice to think about but doubt the circumstances play out that way

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
The next step is to find buyers for Gally and Anderson. Their contracts ideally go at some point. While I like them both as fourth line grinders....they are simply overpaid for that.

Reinbacher
Mailloux
Barron

As Guhle will be our eventual top pair LD, who do we pair with him? I prefer one offensively minded D with a shut down guy. My hope is Mailloux shoes top line potential, so he can be the puck mover and risk taker of that pair.

I think we will trade for some established RD 25-28y (Andersson, Cernak) or sign Ekblad as UFA. I just want some vet presence in D, once we lose Savard and Matheson. If not, next season I would go with:
Guhle - Barron
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Later probably switching Barron and Mailloux and Hutson-Reinbacher moving as 1st pairing.

Reactions: waitin425

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Not yet, we need to fix the bottom 6 but the top 6 definitely has powerhouse potential.
We have former 1st and 2nd liners on our bottom 6. Once they accept their new roles, I think we’ll get some offence from them. And I think that’ll happen this year

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Our biggest weakness is defence which also happens to be our prospect pools biggest strength. So I think next step is to give the current roster time to show off that organic growth and evaluate what we really have. It often takes time for D to find their footing at the NHL level, they need experience and games played.

Basically let's revisit the topic in January when we know whether Hutson's first 2 games were indicative of his regular play or not, whether Dach can stay healthy, whether Slafkovsky's growth continues, etc...

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Yes I’m serious.

Trade them picks. We probably have the deepest prospect pool in the league after this past draft. Several youngsters knocking at the door this year and the year after. What, keep them picks and make another 20 selections this year? Then we have 60 prospects? We are already overflowing, won’t have enough opportunity for all of them. It’s time to consolidate them into something tangible. We’re still gonna have 8 picks in 7 rounds this upcoming draft to add to our already S-tier pool.

Our core is now locked up, we’re still gonna have all of our picks moving forward except this year 2nd and all our prospects except Mesar who really doesn’t have room here anymore after the arrival of Laine/Demidov/Hage/Roy. Mesar is a top 6 or bust prospect. Odds of him beating the wingers we already have in the system right now are slim. He’s not gonna be a bottom 6, tight-checking, physical 2 way player. And we have a shitload of those coming up too. Use whatever value he still has in a trade.

We get a top pairing RD in his prime for 2 more years at a bargain deal and dump Josh Anderson contract. Rasmus will handle the tough matchups for the next 2 years while teaching the ropes to Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron. Guhle will go back to his natural side and won’t have to cover for Matheson defensive weakness. The value Rasmus will bring in development to Guhle/Reinbacher/Mailloux/Barron is worth more than those picks.

The cap space we save by dumping Anderson will be valuable in acquiring someone later (trade or UFA) or re-signing all our players.

We’ll get some of those picks back by trading Matheson (1st) and Savard (2nd or 3rd) retained at the deadline.

If in 2 years Rasmuss wants to re-sign a team friendly deal, awesome. If not, re-assess. If by then we are a playoff team with aspirations keep him for that playoff run. The experience will be invaluable for our youngsters. If not, a 29YO 50% retained Rasmus Andersson will get us back at least a 2nd if not a first from a contender.

Perfect fit for our young D development until they take the reign, great contract for 2 years in his prime, we’ll get some of those picks back, we keep all our picks and trade one prospect in our absurd pool we probably won’t have room for and dump an anchor contract to gain some valuable cap space.

Like I said trade them picks, get him.
I wouldn't trade our firsts, they will still be high and possibly be able to get us pieces at aren't sure to have (franchise 1C, 1D, 1G)

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Reinbacher
Mailloux
Barron

It's crazy though how terrible these contracts are to the current Habs team. Imagine what Hughes could do with 12M for 3 years...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Roger McQueen,center,6’4’’.
Chris Peters - Flo Hockey - June 29th: "A massive forward who averaged close to a point-per-game this year, McQueen is a big swing on upside. He has more to round out in his game, but his progression so far at the size he's at is especially intriguing."

After the trade, we can safely say the McQueen Dream is dead

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Laine - Suzuki - Demidov
Caufield - Dach - Slaf
Roy - Beck - Newhook/Hage
Xhekaj - Kapanen - Tuch/Heineman

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom/Struble/Barron

If this does not become a contending roster, I would be very surprised

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Needs for 2025:

- A player like B.Tkachuk/M.Stone/Hyman/Kreider

SPENCE?

- If Dach can't stay healthy, a good second line center

DESNOYERS?

- I'm not Mailloux's biggest fan, so a good offensive RHD could be nice.

Reactions: Nevins

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
The last thing Hugues has to achieve is signing Rantanen on the UFA market next year so we can start 2025-2026 with :

Slaf - Suzuki - Demidov
Rantanen - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Beck - Roy
Xhekaj - Kapanen - Rohrer
Heineman - Kidney* - Mesar

Guhle - Mailloux
Matheson - Reinbacher
Hutson - Xhekaj
Engstrom - Konyushkov

Montembeault
Primeau
Dobes*

*Cut to make it a 23 men roster, not sure who the final guy would be

Top prospects : Hage, Fowler, 2 first rounders of 2025

EDIT : Oh yeah and he really needs to trade Anderson and buy out Gallagher in the next 12 months
Well, Laine isn't Rantanen, but he really solidifies our left wing (and if it works he is younger and easier to resign than Rantanen). With retention on Anderson and buyout penalty on Gallagher, this line up would only have a cap hit of around 75 millions (and Matheson becomes UFA in 2026).

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Needs for 2025:

- A player like B.Tkachuk/M.Stone/Hyman/Kreider

SPENCE?

- If Dach can't stay healthy, a good second line center

DESNOYERS?

- I'm not Mailloux's biggest fan, so a good offensive RHD could be nice.
This is Dach’s litmus test season. Can he stay healthy? Can he produce consistently over 82 or close to it games ?

If either is no then we need a 2C going forward. How Hage’s season goes might also give us a partial answer to if that player already exists in the system.

Reactions: Nevins

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Our biggest weakness is defence which also happens to be our prospect pools biggest strength. So I think next step is to give the current roster time to show off that organic growth and evaluate what we really have. It often takes time for D to find their footing at the NHL level, they need experience and games played.

Basically let's revisit the topic in January when we know whether Hutson's first 2 games were indicative of his regular play or not, whether Dach can stay healthy, whether Slafkovsky's growth continues, etc...
No need to do anything with the defense other than maybe add a vet expiring contract if they are in playoff contention.

I think we will trade for some established RD 25-28y (Andersson, Cernak) or sign Ekblad as UFA. I just want some vet presence in D, once we lose Savard and Matheson. If not, next season I would go with:
Guhle - Barron
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Later probably switching Barron and Mailloux and Hutson-Reinbacher moving as 1st pairing.
Matheson is not going anywhere soon. I believe he wants to stay with the Habs and will accept a reasonable deal when his contract is up in 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
12 playoffs OT games can overcome bad drafting but it's better to draft well.

-Hockey historians

1000008223.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad