Confirmed Trade: [OTT/BOS] Linus Ullmark for Mark Kastelic, Joonas Korpisalo (25% retained), 2024 BOS 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There was hype on Korpi?

It seems like he's had a pretty ho hum, arguably poor career overall, statistically speaking, and was always significantly outperformed by whoever he was platooning with or backing up in Columbus. He had the season in LA, the rookie season, and one good one in between. The rest appear to be mid to poor even for a backup.
When the kings acquired him there was. He was hyped as having “fixed” their goaltending. Then there was hope to resign him but they couldn’t afford it.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Korpisalo was super friggin frustrating this past season. First or second shot of the game past him way too often. Dude would make highlight reel saves, but was good for one or two easy ones, totally stoppable for any nhl keeper, every friggin game. You could see how this just deflated the team in front of him.

Just a strange goalie where he’s so capable of great play, but inconsistent and gets beat by softies regularly. Glad he’s off the sens. He’s not a starter in this league, but wouldn’t be surprised if he did well in a backup role on the Bs.

Reactions: The don godfather

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
When the kings acquired him there was. He was hyped as having “fixed” their goaltending. Then there was hope to resign him but they couldn’t afford it.
Interesting. I guess he was coming off a decent stretch to start the season and played well in his short time in LA. You guys dodged a bullet imo, many of us Sens fans were not happy with that contract from day 1 and it's played out basically as I assumed it would.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Interesting. I guess he was coming off a decent stretch to start the season and played well in his short time in LA. You guys dodged a bullet imo, many of us Sens fans were not happy with that contract from day 1 and it's played out basically as I assumed it would.
I didn’t like it for the Sens either. Said at the time he was a fraud.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I didn’t like it for the Sens either. Said at the time he was a fraud.
I felt like I was going crazy looking at the contract terms and analyzing his career. The resume did not match.

I wasn't even happy with him being the rumored target, let alone the woofer of a contract that came down.

Jack Campbell 2.0, but at least that guy had the numbers going in to justify it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I felt like I was going crazy looking at the contract terms and analyzing his career. The resume did not match.

I wasn't even happy with him being the rumored target, let alone the woofer of a contract that came down.

Jack Campbell 2.0, but at least that guy had the numbers going in to justify it.
Yeh. He was toiling in CBJ for many years, had a decent stretch before the TDL and Kings bought the story. But he’s always been mediocre. I think a year before he was traded to Kings he was seen as a bit of a cap dump took

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeh. He was toiling in CBJ for many years, had a decent stretch before the TDL and Kings bought the story. But he’s always been mediocre. I think a year before he was traded to Kings he was seen as a bit of a cap dump took
Ya, he had 2 of his worst seasons the ones prior to coming over to LA and looked like he might be out of the league soon. Funny how things go.

There was a lot of dangling of the double hip surgeries supposedly fixing his game and explaining the poor resume when he was signed. Seems that was fools gold.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Ullmark is a product of his environment, that is Bostons defensive system. I don’t think he’ll be near the same goalie in Ottawa. But that’s really not a bad price. Overall a good move for the Sens.
Ullmark played for bad Buffalo teams that all missed the playoffs.

He had a .917 save % with Buffalo.

His career save % is .918, so it wasn't that much higher in Boston. He is 8th all time for goalies. His Buffalo save % has him top 10 all time.

Boston was great defensively his 1st 2 seasons there. Last season, they were average defensively.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ullmark played for bad Buffalo teams that all missed the playoffs.

He had a .917 save % with Buffalo.

His career save % is .918, so it wasn't that much higher in Boston. He is 8th all time for goalies. His Buffalo save % has him top 10 all time.

Boston was great defensively his 1st 2 seasons there. Last season, they were average defensively.
I know this. I said as much in posts after this one. That's a good sign for the Sens that he can stay afloat behind bad defence too. I don't think he'll be Boston good, but still a good move for the Sens.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Ullmark is a product of his environment, that is Bostons defensive system. I don’t think he’ll be near the same goalie in Ottawa. But that’s really not a bad price. Overall a good move for the Sens.
Boston doesnt have that great of a defense. And outside of his outlier vezina season, ullmarks other 2 years in boston are right in line with his last 2 years in buffalo where he was a very good goalie.

Nobody ever really builds an argument for Korpisalo turning it around. They just say the words and quote Ottawa being a goalie graveyard as evidence even though they've mostly brought in scrubs and damaged goods.

Staios said upgrading goaltending was the top priority, so I'm glad he used common sense and didn't build his team on a hope and a prayer instead.

From a Boston perspective I can see being upset, but they have their starter anyways, and Korpisalo should theoretically be able to buck up as a clear backup.
Also while ullmarks vezina year was a little of an outlier, his other 2 years in boston are right in line with his last 2 years in buffalo as the starter yet people keep pretending he was a scrub in buffalo

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
He was better that year(even before the kings acquired him) but it was noted that he had been wildly inconsistent in his career.

Also, considering the kings goaltending situation at the time, he was a fix. Cal peterson and quick were beyond brutal that year and copley- a career minor leaguer- was just playing somewhat competently to save their season

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Excellent trade by don to get 25 percent retained for korpi . Bob Essensa is a miracle worker to getting goalies back on track . 3 million back up is the going prices these days anyways. The 1st is sweet and kastelic can be a physical presence on that 4th line. If linus leaves Ottawa in a year this deal looks even more solid.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I love this thread (as a Sens fan).

BRUINS (fans) WOULD TAKE THIS TRADE WITHOUT KORPISALO INCLUDED 10/10.

So would the Sens (FANS - or any non hater of the team tbh)...

/ENDTHREAD

That's the difference/loss. Period. One of the easiest trades to ever quantify. Did we just mathematically break the universe???

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Excellent trade by don to get 25 percent retained for korpi . Bob Essensa is a miracle worker to getting goalies back on track . 3 million back up is the going prices these days anyways. The 1st is sweet and kastelic can be a physical presence on that 4th line. If linus leaves Ottawa in a year this deal looks even more solid.

I’d have taken the deal just to dump Korpisalo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad