Confirmed Trade: [OTT/BOS] Linus Ullmark for Mark Kastelic, Joonas Korpisalo (25% retained), 2024 BOS 1st round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
That Korpisalo contract never made sense

UFA starting goalie contracts seldom do. Campbell, Kuemper, Husso, Grubauer, Korpisalo, and on and on. Very rarely is plucking a UFA goalie out of the heap and being the team to outbid all others on term and money … going to deliver good results.

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
What people don’t get is that ullmark plays around 3 games a season so of course his numbers look great. if Ottawa plays him 60+ games behind that defense he won’t be sniffing .900
What? Is this sarcasm?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
UFA starting goalie contracts seldom do. Campbell, Kuemper, Husso, Grubauer, Korpisalo, and on and on. Very rarely is plucking a UFA goalie out of the heap and being the team to outbid all others on term and money … going to deliver good results.
Did you just call Korpisalo a starting goalie?

Btw, this is a win for Sens and Ullmark doesn't even have to be positive value for that to be the case. But he is.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Calgary says hello.
Was it that great though? They had to retain on Markstrom and got an ok young bottom pair Dman and a top 10 protected 2025 1st which could very well be a low 1st with an improved Devils team with.....Markstrom. It was okish but generally the goalie market favors the buyer.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I would've done Korpisalo (no retention) + 1st for future considerations. That would be about it.

If they offered that for Ullmark I would've just kept him and let him walk next offseason. Late 1sts aren't as sexy as they look on paper - go back and look at late 1sts in prior drafts.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I would've done Korpisalo (no retention) + 1st for future considerations. That would be about it.

If they offered that for Ullmark I would've just kept him and let him walk next offseason. Late 1sts aren't as sexy as they look on paper - go back and look at late 1sts in prior drafts.

Boston just trying to get anything for UllMark. He held all the cards with his NMC.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There is a reason why the best players (even goalies) never make it to free agency.

Markstrom did because Van had Demko ready to take over. Sarros now in that same situation, as was Bishop when TB moved him out in 2017 as they had Vasi.

Ullmark, is going to be 32 when his current contract expires. So, if he can secure the bag now, he'd probably be wiser to get a deal done to lock up another 4/5 years.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Did you just call Korpisalo a starting goalie?

Btw, this is a win for Sens and Ullmark doesn't even have to be positive value for that to be the case. But he is.
He was signed with that intention. So was Husso in a similar situation. Actual established 50+ game starters seldom even reach free agency, so most teams that think they need to get a goalie as UFA are getting a goalie who has been a tandem half or a backup-ready-for-more type, hoping they can bear the workload increase. Some can, some can’t.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Tough return, saves us 2 million in cap space next year but then we have Korpisalo for 3 (2?) more after. That can't be the plan with Bussi showing he has the goods to be a backup & Swayman about to get paid. At the end of the day we'll likely be paying the goaltender position more this upcoming year than we we did this year (Swayman is getting more than a 2 million raise).

Kastelic is a better option than Maroon, and we need guys that can win faceoffs, but that's also a spot I think Beecher earned this year.

Weird all around. Hopefully there is another shoe to drop with Korpisalo.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If it was Forsberg and not Korpisalo then the deal is fine for Boston

I don’t get why they are going to get Swayman locked in and have a 3 million back up x4 yrs

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

This is pretty much how most Bruins fans feel. The trade made sense if Ullmark wasn't included. It makes no sense with him in it. Absolutely, awful trade for the B's. Sweeney is so bad at this job.

Time to test out the theory that any goalie in a bruins uniform looks like a Vezina candidate.
If he remains a Bruin which is in question this will certainly tell that tale. Although, he can be a decent goalie just not the one you bank most of your starts on

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Ohhh f***. I didn't realize we were the only one he would waive for - or wanted him. That makes more sense for the porous return.

You're kind to call it sarcasm to be honest.
I think a combo of he refused to move if they took too much off the roster, I think he also may have almost negotiated with Ottawa expect a signing from him to stay.

Could be an over payment but again he held all the cards.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Boston got practically nothing, the fact that it's their own first round pick that they traded for a Tyler Bertuzzi rental for an epic fail postseason definitely has to make it tough to swallow from a multi-trade perspective.

From Ottawa multi-trade perspective, it's 7th (and other) picks -> DeBrincat -> Boston 1st -> Ullmark, so not great but at least they salvaged the DeBrincat mistake with something that could really help them and fill a need going forward.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Korp will have better stats than ullmark next year. Ullmark already did the weak lineup deal in Buffalo and was one of the worst starters in the league.

Sens will get burned again as Ullmark won't re-sign with them like their last few trade targets.
Google and stats pages are your friend. Itd take 10 seconds to look up ullmarks buffalo stats and see how insanely wrong your statement is.

This will be the next trade to prove why the goaltending position is a joke and total crap shoot and why you should never invest big money or spend valuable assets for one. (Not saying Ottawa did in this case, it's a good, low-risk deal for them).

Ullmark was a scrub on Buffalo, then a Vezina winner, then couldn't even hold his starting job one season after the Vezina. There's a reason why Boston has had three different Vezina winners in the past 15 years. (And who would be surprised if Swayman makes it 4)?

Goalies are a product of their team and their system. They are giant, inflated, Michelin men who drop to the ice and let pucks hit them. If their team doesn't keep chances to the outside, block shots, and limit odd-mans, they are toast. I'm betting on 2.87 gaa and .900 sv% for Ullmark behind the Sens next year while Korpisalo puts up Vezina numbers in 25ish starts.

Teams make goalies, goalies don't make teams.
Ullmark had a .916 sv% his last 2 years in buffalo as the starter. Not even close to a scrub. Just prove you dont actually do research or bother to be knowledgable

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens9292 and Dog

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Wouldn't sign the extension before the trade, added to the whammy.

He can’t actually sign an extension until July 1.

Though the indication seems to be he hasn’t even made a verbal/handshake agreement that he will. Which is fine. As noted, if this is a one year rental this is fine. If this is a 3/4 year and flipped at deadline it’s fine. If some circumstances make him entirely unable to play, that’s even fine. That’ll mean the Sens just gave a late 1st and a fourth liner to get out of 3/4 of Korpisalo’s contract, which is the big win itself.

Ullmark extending would be gravy. But the deal is a winner even if he doesn’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,350.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00