OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, etc...Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I’m getting old. I am getting ready for my fantasy football draft and I honestly don’t know who half of the players are or where they came from.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ask any QB who threw to Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson if teamwork is required. The ultimate close your eyes, "f*** it, they down there somewhere" and chuck players.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Randall Cunningham to Randy Moss was the greatest single season duo ever. I'd argue that 98 Vikings team is the best team to never win a Super Bowl.
You can't call them the best team to not win a Super Bowl when they couldn't even win the NFC Championship.

Hell, they weren't even the best Randy Moss team. The undefeated Pats that lost to Eli's Giants were better.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Broncos would've rolled them in the Super Bowl.
Not a chance they would have been rolled. Minnesota lost 2 games that season by a combined 6 points. One of the most complete offenses ever in an era that wasn't filled with them, and the defense while not an elite, all time defense... was still a top 10 defense. If Gary Anderson doesn't miss his only field goal of the season vs the Falcons, they win the Super Bowl.

Reactions: Avs_19

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Hockey players get drafted around 18, football players are much older. Scouts get to see so much more from them in college games and see them in far more mature bodies. I think that's all the difference. The handful of positions that are difficult to draft for are a reflection of different systems, especially QB. Most skill positions and secondary spots the players are pretty close to finished products with just adjusting to playing against elite competition. Guys in the trenches can benefit from schemes and from NFL training and nutrition, so those can be tougher to project but the teams who develop that the best usually make it happen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hockey players get drafted around 18, football players are much older. Scouts get to see so much more from them in college games and see them in far more mature bodies. I think that's all the difference. The handful of positions that are difficult to draft for are a reflection of different systems, especially QB. Most skill positions and secondary spots the players are pretty close to finished products with just adjusting to playing against elite competition. Guys in the trenches can benefit from schemes and from NFL training and nutrition, so those can be tougher to project but the teams who develop that the best usually make it happen.
Even with the age difference, it seems like busts are far more likely in the NFL than the NHL. Routinely there are top 5 and 10 picks in the NFL that flame out and are barely in the league (with over double the roster spots) a few years later... and late round picks that become star players early in their career. Puka Nacua jumped into the league as 5th round pick who barely anybody had in their top 20 at his position, and was a All Pro immediately. Purdy (even as a game manager IMO) is still a quasi top 10 QB as Mr Irrelevant. The best QB of all time was a 6th round pick. That doesn't happen in the NHL very often... it happens all the time in the NFL.

Reactions: AFK

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
wow Randall Cunningham. Loved that dude. He probably makes my top 3 fav nfl players of all time to watch play the game (not necessarily ‘the best’ but the best to watch). I think I’d go -

1) Barry Sanders
2) Randall Cunningham
3) Deion Sanders

Nobody ever will compare to Barry in my eyes but I also missed the Gayle Sayers era.

#3 is tough - could probably put any of Deion, Devin Hester, LT, or a few others there.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The 98 Broncos would have shredded the 98 Vikings. The Broncos were more balanced and controlled the LOS. The Falcons were an inferior replica of the Broncos that year. And if the Vikings couldn’t even beat the Falcons while playing at home, then what does that say? And Minnesota was ahead at half but was outscored by Atlanta in the second half, so it’s not purely on Anderson.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Randall Cunningham to Randy Moss was the greatest single season duo ever. I'd argue that 98 Vikings team is the best team to never win a Super Bowl.
Broncos would have beat em.

The Pack fat ass front line was supposed to bowl over the Orange Hush and TD would have disappeared into Gilbert Brown's belly button, but we saw how that worked out. Reeves dared Elway to beat him and he obliged.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
A single season team? The word ‘never’ could imply otherwise.

That Vikings era was indeed a good team that never won.

The Air Coryell Chargers teams from the early 80s were quite good also. The Browns had a damn solid team in the late 80s. There are a number of solid examples.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Broncos would have beat em.

The Pack fat ass front line was supposed to bowl over the Orange Hush and TD would have disappeared into Gilbert Brown's belly button, but we saw how that worked out. Reeves dared Elway to beat him and he obliged.
Broncos had one of the worst passing defenses in the league that year, and the Vikings had one of the best passing offenses of all time. The matchup would have been horrible for the Broncos.

A single season team? The word ‘never’ could imply otherwise.

That Vikings era was indeed a good team that never won.

The Air Coryell Chargers teams from the early 80s were quite good also. The Browns had a damn solid team in the late 80s. There are a number of solid examples.
Cunningham only had one year left in the tank.

IMO people overlook that team because they didn't make the Super Bowl, and just glossing over how it happened. They lost in OT... after not being aggressive with time left to get in position to win in regulation... after (at that time) a top 5 kicker in NFL history missed his only field goal of the season (a 39 yarder at that and was his first miss in nearly 2 years)... and the missed opportunities. Moss dropped a clear TD pass. A safety dropped a clear interception on the play right before the tying touchdown. Another clear TD pass was broken up at the last second in OT. It took a bunch to go wrong, pressure to get to players, a coach to screw up majorly... to lose a game in OT.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Broncos had one of the worst passing defenses in the league that year, and the Vikings had one of the best passing offenses of all time. The matchup would have been horrible for the Broncos.

IMO people overlook that team because they didn't make the Super Bowl, and just glossing over how it happened. They lost in OT... after not being aggressive with time left to get in position to win in regulation... after (at that time) a top 5 kicker in NFL history missed his only field goal of the season (a 39 yarder at that and was his first miss in nearly 2 years)... and the missed opportunities. Moss dropped a clear TD pass. A safety dropped a clear interception on the play right before the tying touchdown. Another clear TD pass was broken up at the last second in OT. It took a bunch to go wrong, pressure to get to players, a coach to screw up majorly... to lose a game in OT.
Nothing and no one was stopping Elway and TD that year.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

They were 8th in points against. The passing yards had more to do with the opposition getting in a hole and having to chuck the ball to try to get quick points.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They were 8th in points against. The passing yards had more to do with the opposition getting in a hole and having to chuck the ball to try to get quick points.
Minny was 6th... and the Broncos' weakness was clearly on the passing side. There was only one team that gave up more passing touchdowns in the entire league, Carolina. Minnesota would have been able to move the ball with ease. The matchup would have really been Minny's defense vs the Broncos rushing attack.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Minny was 6th... and the Broncos' weakness was clearly on the passing side. There was only one team that gave up more passing touchdowns in the entire league, Carolina. Minnesota would have been able to move the ball with ease. The matchup would have really been Minny's defense vs the Broncos rushing attack.
28, 12 of which were in the 4th quarter by trailing opponents. 4 more came in the Miami loss which should be thrown out on any statistical analysis for the simple fact the Broncos were not showing anything versus a potential playoff opponent that they ended up stomping a month later.

The Flacons were hardly a slouch that year either going 14-2 and they still got the rented mule treatment in Miami.

Not sure how lax Dennis Green was with curfew, so they may not have had a player buster for solicitation the night before.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You're just now picking up on this?
tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad