OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, etc...Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Nice! I got tix for Sunday. I live on the south side of the village. Hoping it’s not an absolute train wreck. I have an extra parking pass into my neighborhood although I don’t know if that would help ya at all (parking inside of our neighborhood is almost non existent) but if it does lemme know!

Thanks for the offer but we get volunteer parking passes for the lot outside off Sante Fe.

Will be fun to see watch Rory, Scottie, Xander, etc back in Colorado. I’m sure there will be plenty made of them hitting it super far. Number 1 tee is so cool watching them launch it.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Dear Vikings,
Please do what you do best and pay us too much for Zach Wilson in a lopsided trade.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Rockies will still find a way to f*** it up
Obviously, but it's more fun seeing there's actually legitimate talent in the system compared to the past 5 years or so. Main reason being them having their first elite pitching prospect since Gray.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah it's never really been an issue for the Rockies to develop talent, it's doing whatever's necessary to bolster that talent that always has been and always will be their problem so long as Monfort owns the franchise. He spends just enough to what he thinks will put butts in seats and that's it.

Reactions: katfude

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Oh I'm drinking the koolaid, Nix looks legit.
Luckiy for you it wasn't Kool Aid that was poisoned at Jonestown but rather the knock off Flavor-aid, which you'd think General Foods would be adamant about the general public knowing, but this may be the ultimate case of any publicity being good publicity.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I maybe setting myself up for a bit of a letdown but after watching these 2 pre-season games I cannot help but think that Bo Nix is going to lead the Broncos to 10 straight Superbowl victories.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I maybe setting myself up for a bit of a letdown but after watching these 2 pre-season games I cannot help but think that Bo Nix is going to lead the Broncos to 10 straight Superbowl victories.
I have the same feeling but not, I see 12 wins this season.

:sarcasm:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I have high hopes for Nix, but I don't think we'll have many wins this season. Our secondary outside of PS2 looks rough.
I haven’t watched any of the games but my buddies are all telling me the defense looks very ‘squishy’.

So this year and next year are rough cap wise, and then we basically will be able to spend like f’ing crazy in the offseason of 2026?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I haven’t watched any of the games but my buddies are all telling me the defense looks very ‘squishy’.

So this year and next year are rough cap wise, and then we basically will be able to spend like f’ing crazy in the offseason of 2026?
I'll take an 0-17 season if it means the Broncos have a franchise QB.

Reactions: katfude

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Packers didn't play any starters but our 'squishy' defense let up zero points. Pre-season really doesn't tell you anything.

Except for the absolute fact that Bo is the new goat

Reactions: Bender

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

I believe that's correct. If Bo is the guy, these two seasons should prime him for some real runs, after.

Also I know people keep bringing up that it was just preseason, but I mean, that's what you want to see in preseason. You want to see your guys demolish second stringers like that. If these were closer games I would be way more worried.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I believe that's correct. If Bo is the guy, these two seasons should prime him for some real runs, after.

Also I know people keep bringing up that it was just preseason, but I mean, that's what you want to see in preseason. You want to see your guys demolish second stringers like that. If these were closer games I would be way more worried.
I’m cautiously optimistic for the first time in a while. Only cautiously because we have been bad for a while.

We look like a competently run team for the first time in a long time and I like Bo Nix. Also, the management/ownership troubles are in the rear view which should help out tremendously.

Only up from here, imo.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I have high hopes for Nix, but I don't think we'll have many wins this season. Our secondary outside of PS2 looks rough.
Yes, though they at least have a couple of young players there who showed some promise last season.

I think the DLine is going to be a problem.

Reactions: sethro109

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Quick question...Is it easier to judge player skills in Football than in Hockey? To me, it seems like hockey requires more teamwork and for the entire team to be involved in order to really see that top talent truly shine, whereas it feels like football and basketball to some degree are where superstars can pretty much win by themselves. The biggest name in hockey for a decade has never even played for a championship. That's getting into Dan Marino territory, but then again, most everyone acknowledged he was the best QB without a championship at the time. I have no idea who that would be today.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Quick question...Is it easier to judge player skills in Football than in Hockey? To me, it seems like hockey requires more teamwork and for the entire team to be involved in order to really see that top talent truly shine, whereas it feels like football and basketball to some degree are where superstars can pretty much win by themselves. The biggest name in hockey for a decade has never even played for a championship. That's getting into Dan Marino territory, but then again, most everyone acknowledged he was the best QB without a championship at the time. I have no idea who that would be today.
I'd argue football is more difficult. Not only do guys need to be absolutely absurd athletes, I'd argue teamwork is even more necessary. Sure you have WR who can do what they want and be shits. But your MLB, DL, OL, QB all need to be impeccable. You fail there, your team fails. The misses are vast on even 'can't miss' guys so often that what it takes to actually succeed is very difficult to pin down.

Hockey... if a player can skate at a high enough level (which for the NHL is still very high... even bad skaters are great) and has just one characteristic that is absurd, you have a spot in the league. Laine is a perfect example of it. He can move well enough for the NHL and can snipe better than all but 4-5 people in the world. The elite players of the league... 80% of them were known to be elite from a very young age. IE of the top 20 scorers in the NHL, only one of those was undrafted (Panarin). 2 were selected in the 3rd-7th rounds (Kaprizov and Point) and 2 more were selected in the 2nd round (Aho and Kuch). Meaning 15 of the top 20 were 1st round picks. 12 of those 15 were top 10 picks.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'd argue football is more difficult. Not only do guys need to be absolutely absurd athletes, I'd argue teamwork is even more necessary. Sure you have WR who can do what they want and be shits. But your MLB, DL, OL, QB all need to be impeccable. You fail there, your team fails. The misses are vast on even 'can't miss' guys so often that what it takes to actually succeed is very difficult to pin down.

Hockey... if a player can skate at a high enough level (which for the NHL is still very high... even bad skaters are great) and has just one characteristic that is absurd, you have a spot in the league. Laine is a perfect example of it. He can move well enough for the NHL and can snipe better than all but 4-5 people in the world. The elite players of the league... 80% of them were known to be elite from a very young age. IE of the top 20 scorers in the NHL, only one of those was undrafted (Panarin). 2 were selected in the 3rd-7th rounds (Kaprizov and Point) and 2 more were selected in the 2nd round (Aho and Kuch). Meaning 15 of the top 20 were 1st round picks. 12 of those 15 were top 10 picks.
Intresting. Thanks. I was thinking that the nature of football being a set defined play lasting mere seconds. Whereas in hockey you are looking at a game that is nearly constantly live with players simultaneously playing both offense and defense that it would be much more difficult. Especially given the way hockey has much more widely varying TOI to take into consideration.

Like digging into a lot of this stuff because I personally read a lot and am interested in philosophy (stoics mostly) and phycology. Mainly I'm interested in how people develop healthy/positive/winning mental attitudes and how they successfully control/maintain them through adversity. So, whenever I can gain insight into how these things are handled in professional sports, it perks my ears. I love learning how the stats and scouting departments think and operate and how GMs think especially in regards to the future (if at all). Same thing when we hear stories about the ways different teams handle the locker-room. What makes these folks ticks is interesting as hell to me.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Intresting. Thanks. I was thinking that the nature of football being a set defined play lasting mere seconds. Whereas in hockey you are looking at a game that is nearly constantly live with players simultaneously playing both offense and defense that it would be much more difficult. Especially given the way hockey has much more widely varying TOI to take into consideration.

Like digging into a lot of this stuff because I personally read a lot and am interested in philosophy (stoics mostly) and phycology. Mainly I'm interested in how people develop healthy/positive/winning mental attitudes and how they successfully control/maintain them through adversity. So, whenever I can gain insight into how these things are handled in professional sports, it perks my ears. I love learning how the stats and scouting departments think and operate and how GMs think especially in regards to the future (if at all). Same thing when we hear stories about the ways different teams handle the locker-room. What makes these folks ticks is interesting as hell to me.
There’s probably a ton of nuance to it all and we can only just really give our opinions. I think to be truly elite at hockey it just takes such specific skills that it is quite evident early. Sure outliers exist, but in a game that is free flowing and players have to take on varied roles, the cream rises to the top. In my experience, when you take in a junior game, you can see very clearly the guys who will be high end players. It may not always work, but the ones with a chance at elite flash so brightly.

Now the dudes and workhorses… yeah they still need a lot of skill (even Cogliano was a very high end junior player) but that separation is more in projection and simply work ethic… and the mental side (in being smart… but also confidence, motivation, finding edges, etc). ROR is a hell of an athlete compared to us normies… compared to the NHL he’s not nearly the top guy. But his mental game and work ethic are unmatched.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
There’s probably a ton of nuance to it all and we can only just really give our opinions. I think to be truly elite at hockey it just takes such specific skills that it is quite evident early. Sure outliers exist, but in a game that is free flowing and players have to take on varied roles, the cream rises to the top. In my experience, when you take in a junior game, you can see very clearly the guys who will be high end players. It may not always work, but the ones with a chance at elite flash so brightly.

Now the dudes and workhorses… yeah they still need a lot of skill (even Cogliano was a very high end junior player) but that separation is more in projection and simply work ethic… and the mental side (in being smart… but also confidence, motivation, finding edges, etc). ROR is a hell of an athlete compared to us normies… compared to the NHL he’s not nearly the top guy. But his mental game and work ethic are unmatched.
But a guy like Logan O'Connor is imminently valuable for a team...yet he goes completely undrafted. It seems that quite a few undrafted types can make rather lengthy careers as bottom sixers and bottom pair/7D. I know development is not linear and these dudes could simply be all late bloomers. But it would be interesting to know how you truly judge which of the dudes who have evident motors will be able to translate that to the typical bottom 6. The draft seems so concentrated on trying to nab top talent that I wonder if we could deliberately be overlooking some good players in the search of great.

[edit..of course, as you said, ROR mental game is also unmatched which probably allowed his IQ to flash in juniors too, whereas Logan is defensively sound but not really anything more than meat and potatoes. Obviously different level players, but what did we miss with Logan that we didn't draft him?]

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

I think football is tough because there’s a bunch of reliance on coaching/teammates to succeed. More guys on the field just means more teamwork is at play. There’s a lot of QBs that have tons of time in a pocket to make reads etc but then they get behind poor OLs in the pros and really struggle. At the same time you might have a star WR who consistently gets separation of 3-4 yards in college and is an easy target for a QB but then that quarterback gets to the pros and he has no one to throw to and struggles. Same with OL and DL - there’s a ton of instances where players are playing next to a stud on the line and that guy over-inflates everyone’s value playing next to him. ….. In all of these examples someone’s value is overstated going into in the draft but the inverse happens as well. There’s guys that are super talented but just surrounded by nothing and then they break out in the NFL……So now the NFL has the combine to try to make sense of all this and judge everyone equally - but combine numbers don’t exactly do the job either and are sometimes misleading. The one that I always find intriguing is that they’ll time a guy’s 40 yard dash at the combine and he’ll clock 4.7 seconds but then they’ll clock him on a game video and he’s at 4.5. Scouting is super interesting to me that way. Advanced stats are definitely progressing things.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad