OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, etc...Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The football has so many different positions that require vastly different athletic skill sets. No doubt some rugby players can play a number of different positions… but it isn’t a universal thing. When you get to high level college football and the NFL… you’re talking about 75++% being pure genetic freaks. Just look as Simmons for the Giants… 6’4” 240 would run a 10.3-10.4 100m. Pure freak athlete of a human being and he’s not the freakiest in the league.

I’ve played a lot of sports… I think hockey was the most physically taxing, but required a much lower level of athleticism to be highly successful.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Played both in high school - rugby required better conditioning in my case
I think the conditioning is different. Football is more explosive speed and changing directions for short bursts of time. Rugby is more of a fluid and free flowing game with less stoppages so long term stamina plays more of a role.

Neither requires you to be more athletic, just different types of athleticism.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The irony of rugby is that the biggest guys on the field are expected to cover the most ground. If you’re on the back line you run but it’s very much in short bursts. If you’re a scrummie you’re expected to be at the ball when it’s laying on the ground to ruck. The dynamics of a guy being 6’6 and 220 but expected to be at the ball when the 6’0 170 lb guy who runs a 4.5 is tackled - that was always a weird one for me to grasp. I was a scrummie and it was damn near exhausting just chasing the ball all over the damn place. The other tough thing about being a rugby player is just the continuous action (like soccer). In football you get a lot of breaks unless you’re in (or going up against) hurry up offenses. Footballl was definitely easier from a conditioning standpoint for me - like….no comparison.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
The irony of rugby is that the biggest guys on the field are expected to cover the most ground. If you’re on the back line you run but it’s very much in short bursts. If you’re a scrummie you’re expected to be at the ball when it’s laying on the ground to ruck. The dynamics of a guy being 6’6 and 220 but expected to be at the ball when the 6’0 170 lb guy who runs a 4.5 is tackled - that was always a weird one for me to grasp. I was a scrummie and it was damn near exhausting just chasing the ball all over the damn place. The other tough thing about being a rugby player is just the continuous action (like soccer). In football you get a lot of breaks unless you’re in (or going up against) hurry up offenses. Footballl was definitely easier from a conditioning standpoint for me - like….no comparison.
Yes the forwards have a rough time. It's not just the ground covered too. It's getting over the ball in rucks and clearing players out. And pushing against a brick wall in scrums and mauls. I used to play right wing so I would just hang back until needed. The forwards are constantly going. Whether on attack or defense. There's no let up.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
There are a few spots on the football field that could use a rugby player, but none are particularly of high value. Playing a sport at an elite level is about the mental game and ability to recognize and read the game. Like ok go be a gunner or blocker on kicks, that works. Maybe a fullback would be fine. A blocking tight end with some reps may work but TE value is about your threat to go make a catch so if they don't respect that you are like a goal line or 3rd and short guy only.

Not to say with a handful of years they could be respectable but there are tens of thousands of elite athletes with NFL size that don't make it. That's basically many guys who started at major colleges and didn't get an NFL job.

Reactions: The Moops

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Sincerely believe the Broncos will keep 3 qbs and I don't think that is the wrong approach anymore. But Stidham will be qb2 regardless.

Reactions: lionsDen

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I haven't really watched any of the games and I see a lot of people penciling in Stidham, but on paper Wilson looks better. Younger, more TDs, more yards and less INTs. Am I missing something?

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Wilson doesn’t have good pocket awareness. His line is really not helping him out. He’s a slow processor. Stidham is not good.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I haven't really watched any of the games and I see a lot of people penciling in Stidham, but on paper Wilson looks better. Younger, more TDs, more yards and less INTs. Am I missing something?
I could be wrong of course, but I think Stidham initially gets the backup position simply because he at least has a year of experience in Payton's system over Zach. I think Payton likes Zach as a reclamation project with a lot of pure talent which is why I think we keep him, but in the meantime, Stidham will be the backup.

Reactions: 5280 and sethro109

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I could be wrong of course, but I think Stidham initially gets the backup position simply because he at least has a year of experience in Payton's system over Zach. I think Payton likes Zach as a reclamation project with a lot of pure talent which is why I think we keep him, but in the meantime, Stidham will be the backup.
I've talked with a bunch of people that say they believe Stidham will be QB2. I just thought there was more going on during the games, that wasn't getting translated to the stat sheet.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I don't see the point of keeping Wilson that long. If you could trade him great but really if you're all in on Nix what's the point of keeping a prospect to develop behind him? That's like saying I'm going to get married next year but I better keep going out with this other girl until then just in case. Stidham serves his purpose and they know what they get out of him. This year and next is 100% the Bo train, Wilson would just be another Sloter-like distraction.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Yeah I think Wilson is a reclamation project, Peyton thinks he can fix him. Stidham is in the standard backup role until if/when Wilson figures it out.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I don't see the point of keeping Wilson that long. If you could trade him great but really if you're all in on Nix what's the point of keeping a prospect to develop behind him? That's like saying I'm going to get married next year but I better keep going out with this other girl until then just in case.

You say it like it’s a bad idea…. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 5280

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I don't see the point of keeping Wilson that long. If you could trade him great but really if you're all in on Nix what's the point of keeping a prospect to develop behind him? That's like saying I'm going to get married next year but I better keep going out with this other girl until then just in case. Stidham serves his purpose and they know what they get out of him. This year and next
It can’t hurt to have two good quarterbacks on the roster in case of injury. They must think Wilson has a higher ceiling than Stidham.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Stidham sucks imo. So does Wilson but I think the threat of running exists more with him.
They are all in on Nix for the next 3 seasons. Then they have to decide what kind of backup they want? Short term come in for a game or two it would be Stidham. Less risky. Now if Nix was out for 4-6 weeks I get wanting to put Wilson in.

Have to consider who is the better QB in the film room to help Nix.

See what Payton wants for QB2.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dunno, I'm all for athletes being honest but that whole spiel from Stidham rubbed me the wrong way. I am no fan of Zach Wilson at all but if Stidham's gonna sit there and pout all season they should just move on.

Also, totally unrelated, this f***ing Keeler/Coach Prime nonsense is really annoying. I'm all for CU going back to total irrelevancy if this is going to be the f***ing norm going forward.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I don't see the point of keeping Wilson that long. If you could trade him great but really if you're all in on Nix what's the point of keeping a prospect to develop behind him? That's like saying I'm going to get married next year but I better keep going out with this other girl until then just in case.
So we should keep Wilson then.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I dunno, I'm all for athletes being honest but that whole spiel from Stidham rubbed me the wrong way. I am no fan of Zach Wilson at all but if Stidham's gonna sit there and pout all season they should just move on.

Also, totally unrelated, this f***ing Keeler/Coach Prime nonsense is really annoying. I'm all for CU going back to total irrelevancy if this is going to be the f***ing norm going forward.
The national media is also up Prime’s ass about his conduct. Hypocrite, bully, etc.

Feinbaum and SAS did their schtick on well documented video, then there’s this:

As I said over and over again all last year in regards to this self promoting egomaniac: be careful what you wish for.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
What he did to Christensen is way worse than Keeler, but I don't expect any casual people to know that.

No value was lost by banning Keeler/DP.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I dunno about that story. I think it was a reporter sticking a microphone in front of a player who had just been delivered horrible news. I actually think that was pretty nasty journalism. I re-read those quotes and nothing horrible was really said - there was just a narrative posted around it all. Were we supposed to expect that Stidham didn’t want to be the #1 QB? Or that he was supposed to only have his sights on being the backup? I dunno. I just don’t really think these type of clickbait stories are great. Not for the player or for the news company that pumps them. I’m not the biggest Stidham fan but I’m not gonna beat the guy up for wearing his heart on his sleeve. It was a 50/50 race goin in and he got beat and he’s upset. The media doesn’t need to compound it by pushing out this story that he’s somehow sour for saying he still believes he is a #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad