OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, etc...Part VI

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My favorite trivia question: Name the only MLB player who leads his franchise all-time in all four types of hits -- the most home runs, triples, doubles and singles.

Robin Yount once held the same distinction with the Brewers but lost it when Ryan Braun surpassed him in home runs.
f*** Braun, that should not count.

And I cheated and looked it up, not sure how reliable the results were because Google keeps posting AI bullshit, but the two names that came up are not ones I ever would've guessed.

Markster

Oct 13, 2019
I love that the Houston Oilers were in the AFC East. Makes absolutely zero sense.
Well, they never were in the AFC East. at least not technically. They were in the Eastern division of the AFL (Broncos, Chargers, Raiders and Texans/Chiefs are located further west than Houston). When the AFL/NFL merger consummated the Oilers went to the AFC Central. Remember that by then Dolphins, Bengals, Colts, Steelers and Browns had been added to the AFC.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Hey fami - Strawther and Pickett go to G League today. Can they still come back and play when season starts? This team is thin as hell at the G position

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Hey fami - Strawther and Pickett go to G League today. Can they still come back and play when season starts? This team is thin as hell at the G position
They are going to Summer League, not the G-League, and yes they'll play when the season starts. Summer League is basically like a rookie and prospect preseason tournament.

The Nuggets are sending six roster guys to Summer League: Julian Strawther (SG), Jalen Pickett (PG), Hunter Tyson (SF), DaRon Holmes II (PF/C), Trey Alexander (PG), and PJ Hall (PF). The former three were last year's draft class, Holmes is our first round pick from this year, and Alexander and Hall are both undrafted rookies we have signed to two-way contracts. We still have one open two-way spot, so the Summer League for us is about developing those six guys and finding the last two-way. Last season we ended up signing Jay Huff off of someone else's Summer League squad to fill the last spot, so we'll see what happens this year. Given our roster construction in pretty much has to be a shooting guard.

The G-League season will start after the Nuggets regular season does, and we'll be able to send down any of the two-way guys as well as any main roster guys in their first four seasons of play. That would include Braun, Watson, Tyson, Pickett, Strawther, Alexander, Hall, Holmes, and whomever we sign to be the third two-way. But obviously Braun and Watson won't be sent down as they're both solidly in the main NBA rotation, and given our lack of guard depth it would be shocking if Strawther spent any time in the G-League this season either unless it's a short term injury rehab or something.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Ah thanks that helps. My old man was telling me they got sent to G League but Summer play makes a lot more sense.

Feel like this team desperately needs Strawther to put it together this year. If Braun is moving into a starter role there has got to be someone else coming off the bench to contribute something/anything.

As much as I didn’t like Reggie Jackson its still weird to me that we basically paid to move his contract vs Nnaji’s. At least Jackson gave us a few buckets a night.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Roster player impressions for the first half of the first Summer League game
Strawther - best player on the court by far. Forced a few passes, otherwise looks great
Alexander - decisive, smooth, in control. could be a find.
Hall - invisible in the 1st quarter but a very nice 2nd
Holmes - no rebounds so far, hit a couple shots, active on D
Pickett - disaster
Tyson - disaster

Pickett and Tyson are not NBA athletes. Not even close.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Nugs lose the 1st summer league game.

Julian Strawther:
25 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 0 blocks, 3 turnovers, 0 fouls, 7/19 FG, 3/10 3PT, 8/10 FT, -2 in 33 minutes

DaRon Holmes II:
11 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 0 blocks, 0 turnovers, 0 fouls, 4/8 FG, 3/3 3PT, 0/0 FT, -5 in 26 minutes

PJ Hall:
10 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 5 turnovers, 6 fouls, 4/7 FG, 1/3 3PT, 1/2 FT, -3 in 28 minutes

Trey Alexander:
12 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 0 blocks, 1 turnover, 0 fouls, 5/10 FG, 2/5 3PT, 1/2 FT, -8 in 26 minutes

Jalen Pickett:
5 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 2 turnovers, 4 fouls, 2/10 FG, 1/5 3PT, 0/0 FT, -18 in 30 minutes

Hunter Tyson:
15 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 1 turnover, 4 fouls, 4/10 FG, 2/6 3PT, 3/3 FT, -22 in 30 minutes

Strawther - forced a bit but looked good overall
Holmes - had a good 2nd half until he got hurt
Hall - way, way too many fouls and turnovers
Alexander - should start next game
Pickett - disaster
Tyson - disaster

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Absolutely brutal.

4th straight season we will start the year with at least one guy out for the season (Cancar last year, Gillespie the year prior, Murray the year before that).

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
So, pending the trade or signing of a backup point guard (or further injury), we know the rotation now.

Murray/backup
Braun/Strawther
MPJ/Watson
Gordon/Cancar
Jokic/Saric

That's it.

Pickett, Tyson, and Nnaji are absolute wastes of roster spots. DJ is an assistant coach in a uniform. Holmes is done for the year.

Alexander and Hall are two-ways so they're limited to being active for 50 regular season games. No more than that, no postseason. Can't rely on them.

We need to buy some 2nd rounders with cash from other teams and use them to make some tanking squad accept Zeke, Tyson, and Pickett for nothing. Then use those three roster spots on some league minimum vets (maybe bring Justin Holiday back).

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I haven’t but Rich Paul is slime. Adele can do so much better.

It’s been swirling around and even openly acknowledged that they’ve been paying certain people in the media like Nick Wright and JJ Redick and also until recently Shannon Sharpe and Kendrick Perkins to lobby for Lebron in goat discussions.

And on a separate note, he was telling teams to not draft Lebrons son and if they do, he’ll play overseas.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It’s been swirling around and even openly acknowledged that they’ve been paying certain people in the media like Nick Wright and JJ Redick and also until recently Shannon Sharpe and Kendrick Perkins to lobby for Lebron in goat discussions.

And on a separate note, he was telling teams to not draft Lebrons son and if they do, he’ll play overseas.
Unless they were trying to recruit his old man, was there really that much interest in Bronny as a player?

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Unless they were trying to recruit his old man, was there really that much interest in Bronny as a player?
The point was that teams knew the Lakers wanted Bronny so they could draft him and hold him for ransom for a trade. They wanted to head that off by saying that he'd just bounce to an overseas league if someone tried that.

Reactions: Pokecheque

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

If Lebrons agent is conspiring to get him to LAL, wouldn’t that undermine the idea he (Lebron) wanted to go somewhere else?

There was wisecracking of teams drafting him for ulterior motives...either to lure Lebron or to create trade leverage with LAL. That Paul was so overtly pre-empting this kind of undermines the idea he was ever going somewhere else.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Less than 24 hours until Jac Caglianone is in the Rockies system 🙏

Jeff_Dyck_#1

Est. MMII
Apr 11, 2005
HF since 1998
2024-07-13 22_31_55-071224_LYON_M_GAME_al-29-scaled.jpg (2560×1707).png

Reactions: lionsDen

Ad

Upcoming events