OT: Other Sports aka CSU Football Thread XX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Well I'll be cheering for the colts for the rest of the playoffs. Really don't like any of the other teams left.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Hate to say it but its time to move on from Manning he just doesn't look the same, but he's never been clutch.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Super Bowel or bust, window, new defense that was supposed to rival Seattle, ect. All of it amounted to a complete sham. The pink slips have to fly, IMO. Just don't see Elway standing for it after all he did to try and make them better.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Colts were just better.

Receivers dropping passes didn't help, and Manning wasn't really all that sharp. I can understand SOME of the deep passes, Sanders had been behind his defender, but he just overthrew them.

Absolutely despise JDR not really making any adjustments.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Manning is not a winner. It hurts to say it, but he just doesn't have the clutch gene. He played like crap in the one Super Bowl he did win; he just lucked out that the Bears were dumb enough to trot Rex Grossman out there. If they had started the thoroughly average Kyle Orton, Peyton would be in the Jim Kelly/Dan Marino club.

Get these hyper conservative coaches and this head case quarterback out of here. I felt like we didn't even go down swininging; there's no excuse for not hitting Andrew Luck tonight.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I like Brock as much as the next person but you guys are crazy if you want manning gone next year.

OK, after about 7 minutes in, this game was never close. Ergo, the Broncos were never close, and are not close.

So, all emotion aside, I have a serious specific question regarding FAs and the Broncos. Which of the two scenarios is better for 2015?:

- Peyton Manning with ONE of DT, JT, Knighton, Franklin signed.

or

- ALL of those 4 guys signed, plus a mid-level QB like Mallett, Flynn, Sanchez, McCoy etc. - but no Manning.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
OK, after about 7 minutes in, this game was never close. Ergo, the Broncos were never close, and are not close.

So, all emotion aside, I have a serious specific question regarding FAs and the Broncos. Which of the two scenarios is better for 2015?:

or

- ALL of those 4 guys signed, plus a mid-level QB like Mallett, Flynn, Sanchez, McCoy etc. - but no Manning.

Are those guys really "mid-level talents" though? I'm not at all thrilled with the prospect of a 39-year-old Peyton Manning but none of those guys are even passable starting QBs. But I won't pretend that there's an ideal scenario here.

Whatever the case, glad they got the choke job out of the way and sealed Fox's fate instead of teasing us with a choke job later in the postseason that would make the picture a bit murkier. No doubt whatsoever the coach is gonzo now.

I kinda hope Peyton retires though. It was painful watching him play these last few games when he clearly wasn't on.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I'd probably take talent plus mid level QB but there is no such thing as mid level QB that's available. If someone like Tannehill was an option I'd think about it but Flynn, no way. We'll be at that level soon enough.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach

or

Despite never having seen him play, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Osweiler is significantly better than any of those QBs. When I think "mid-level" I think of someone more like Andy Dalton (and he'll still cost you $100 million).

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

or

That's an interesting question. I'm not a Broncos fan but I think I'd risk it and still take option #1. You lose Manning and you're no longer a contender, maybe not even a playoff team. He's losing it and looked pretty bad recently but he's still better than most QBs in the NFL. With that option you're giving it a shot for one more season and hoping they can find a way to get it done.

Who knows, maybe DT/JT don't even want to come back if they don't have Manning around. I'm sure DT remembers what it was like before he got there.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Got home from the game a little while ago...random thoughts from what I saw...

1) I've said it several times and I will again - I hate Gase. Good riddance if he gets a job somewhere else. He's awful. Just plain awful and just COMPLETELY outcoached in almost every single game this year including this one.

2) Based off this season it is CJ Anderson's job to lose the #1 RB job. Montee Ball should completely take a back seat to CJ. I'm very afraid Ball is going to come back and they're going to try and shove him into the #1 role again. CJ was the best Bronco on the field today. But I will say this - the Broncos sorely need a pass catching RB or to train CJ how to do it.

3) Ward actually played pretty well today, but for what he's paid I think they should axe him.

4) Lots of blame to the defense on here. Here's my thoughts - I saw a lot of 4 man fronts and they got zero pressure. When I saw 5 man pressure they did get to Luck. But I also saw on the Indy side they would line the TE up on the right side and the RB on the left of Luck in shotgun. They were throwing screens or delayed releases to those players. Those delayed releases burnt us REALLY bad in the 5 man fronts.

5) Back to the defense - you guys have to realize a little bit that the defense was on the field ALL DAY LONG. Time of possession was heavily in favor of Indy until the 4th quarter. Players were gassed. Peyton going three and out by tossing around 2-3 yard passes and hitting WR's in the feet surely didn't help things at all. I actually thought the defense played ok. If you told me we'd have to score just 24 points or more to beat Andrew Luck in the playoffs, I would probably say we win 8 out of 10 of those games. We kept him to 265 yards which is respectable.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just give my Vikings a 1st rounder for AP. Maybe Manning and AP will both restructure for a shot at a SB. Then ride AP and put Manning in a game manager role. You're welcome, Elway.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Peyton running for the 1st down and DT not dropping those two screen passes are two things that I'm always going to wonder if the game MAY have turned out different if they completed even 2 out of 3 of those. Peyton is savvy enough to know that he should have just ran it, problem is he didn't. The first DT drop was just bad, it hit him in the hands and he just didn't reign it in. The 2nd one--I'm a bit fuzzy on, I don't know what the problem was, but again it did hit his hands and when that happens, especially on passes like those, I personally transfer the entire blame to the WR if they don't bring it in.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 3m3 minutes ago
Ravens OC Gary Kubiak turned down HC interviews today and told the team's website he plans to remain with Baltimore.

Or...he's just waiting to see if Denver opens up...

(conspiracy theory & joke)

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Pretty disappointed in the game tonight. I think the Colts were the better team today but I do have a question for you guys who know the NFL much better than I:

- Is coaching an issue with this team?

Seems to me like Julius Thomas was practically invisible out there and of the few times he got open, you could tell he wasn't even close to 100%. His foot was still taped up and looked gigantic. Why not throw Jacub Tamme in there and see if he can make some catches? Seemed to work pretty good against Seattle earlier in the year.

The Colts had a game plan which they seemed to execute to perfection while we seemed to try to force the run all night which didn't seem to be working against this team.

Does that make any sense or am I talking non-sense? (very possible)

It's too bad that fumbled call got overturned after the review...could have made a difference but I don't think we would have beaten the Patriots anyways if this is the best we've got.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Agreed. Peyton not running for the first when he was clear for 10 yards is the game in a nutshell.

I'm not ready to say Peyton is done or that our window is completly closed. But they really have to accelerate Brock's development.

If they had lost today and it was competitive I don't think Elway makes any changes. But considering how flat they looked. I could see Elway cleaning house all the way from Fox to the special teams coach and every assistant.

As for free agents. I think DT is back no doubt and I think JT and Welker are both gone. Knighton is 50/50, I hope they bring him back.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Or...he's just waiting to see if Denver opens up...

(conspiracy theory & joke)
I actually think if Elway called him...he'd listen. And if Fox does get canned, he'd be the favorite.

Pretty disappointed in the game tonight. I think the Colts were the better team today but I do have a question for you guys who know the NFL much better than I:

- Is coaching an issue with this team?

Seems to me like Julius Thomas was practically invisible out there and of the few times he got open, you could tell he wasn't even close to 100%. His foot was still taped up and looked gigantic. Why not throw Jacub Tamme in there and see if he can make some catches? Seemed to work pretty good against Seattle earlier in the year.

The Colts had a game plan which they seemed to execute to perfection while we seemed to try to force the run all night which didn't seem to be working against this team.

Does that make any sense or am I talking non-sense? (very possible)

It's too bad that fumbled call got overturned after the review...could have made a difference but I don't think we would have beaten the Patriots anyways if this is the best we've got.
Even if they had come back, the Patsies would have slaughtered us next week.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
trey wingo ‏@wingoz · 3h3 hours ago
Would lay strong odds this will be the last game John Fox is the head coach of The Denver Broncos

So, let's see what the next several days bring.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
That's an interesting question. I'm not a Broncos fan but I think I'd risk it and still take option #1. You lose Manning and you're no longer a contender, maybe not even a playoff team. He's losing it and looked pretty bad recently but he's still better than most QBs in the NFL. With that option you're giving it a shot for one more season and hoping they can find a way to get it done.

Who knows, maybe DT/JT don't even want to come back if they don't have Manning around. I'm sure DT remembers what it was like before he got there.

Thing is he has looked progressively worse since he signed here and is 39. He is not a scrambler or clutch player. He had so many weapons relative to most teams in the league and still played a poorly. Why delay the inevitable a? Just to be competitive with almost certainty of not winning another SB?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Are those guys really "mid-level talents" though?

No idea. I just picked a few names out of my ass.

The point I'm asking about is this: Are the Broncos better with Manning while losing some really good players at other positions? Compared to going and getting a middle-level QB and keeping all of those other players?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The amount of Manning hate is strong (not necessarily here, but all over the internet).

Is he done? He might be, he wasn't really part of the solution in today's game, and it was terrible that he overthrew on those deep passes...but there were throws, just like last year and the year before, that hit his WR's in the hands and they don't come down with it--and he's seemingly blamed for those as well.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Those were two very short passes, they would have helped but those were pretty slim in the grand scheme. Will some blame him too much, yeah. But he hasn't brought his even B game to the table in a while. I know they are painted in a corner because there are no mid level QBs left, it's absolute dumpster diving. If you guys think the Avs have too many dumpster finds on their team, wait until it's a Holden level QB. Can the Broncos even get rid of him if they chose to do so?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Manning won't answer now if he's coming back (edging off his comments from December)

Rumors Fox might not be back. Or Del Rio could take fall.

Sounds like things will shake up for sure.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Those were two very short passes, they would have helped but those were pretty slim in the grand scheme. Will some blame him too much, yeah. But he hasn't brought his even B game to the table in a while. I know they are painted in a corner because there are no mid level QBs left, it's absolute dumpster diving. If you guys think the Avs have too many dumpster finds on their team, wait until it's a Holden level QB. Can the Broncos even get rid of him if they chose to do so?

The DT screen pass have led to many a Bronco TD over the last 3 seasons. Would these have done that tonight? Probably not (I'll admit it), but they could have extended drives, and with that we don't know what would have happened.

My point is, over the last 3 years he seems to get blamed when his WRs don't catch the balls that hit their hands.

I have no point laying the blame on Manning for the stuff he deserves blame for...which over the last 3 years has been a combination of not throwing the right passes, not taking control of games when he should (that was more his 1st year with us), not yielding control when he should, and tonight...well where to start tonight? I understand going for the Deep Passes when they did because of the fact that Sanders was getting by his man, but he wasn't connecting at all. They should have stopped--I don't know WHO that one is on (I believe Fox he was to blame but I also think I saw Manning say he was to blame). They abandoned the run too early tonight...but by the time they were down by 2 scores it was really too late to go back to it.

On a side note, I'd be looking into some serious team discipline for Franklin. When he started that little scrum and CJ Anderson pulled him away, got in his face to settle him down, he just threw him aside to try and get back at it...what an absolutely DUMB and terrible thing for him to do.

***EDIT***

But if Manning wants to play next season, the Broncos are going to be his team. I don't know what some people are thinking, but the Broncos would NOT be better off with a lesser QB. Manning is truly one of the smartest QB's in the history of the game, 2013 was his way of showing that while he may not have the arm strength he used to have, his smarts made up for it--and he had a record breaking year.

Last edited:

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
Manning won't answer now if he's coming back (edging off his comments from December)

Rumors Fox might not be back. Or Del Rio could take fall.

Sounds like things will shake up for sure.

I don't think Manning would retire. He was basically raised to be a quarterback and doesn't know how to do anything else. He seems like the type that'll need one absolutely brutal season to realize that he's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad