OT: Other Sports aka CSU Football Thread XX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That and Moneyball.

Corsi, Corsi, Corsi, Fenwick, Corsi.

Eh, I'm less opposed to that. Unfortunately people in general are dumb, and so they completely ignore how radically different baseball is from team sports like hockey, soccer or football, and so advanced stats are a lot more difficult to effectively create in these sports and will have a lot more outliers, thus emphasizing the importance of context and actually watching how the stats are achieved by the team/player in question. But in general I think advanced stats are an interesting addition to sports analysis.

My favorite new way of studying sport is actually heatcharts in soccer. Those dramatically changed the ability to easily demonstrate and explain a lot of the tactical nuance in the sport to casual fans, which has had massive impacts on the general quality of debate amongst fans, still a lot of idiots who don't know what they're talking about, but the general level of ignorance isn't as awful as it used to be. Just like the influence of all-22 footage being made available to the fans on football discussion. And both of those changes owe a lot to moneyball.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I really do hate what fantasy sports have done to the NFL, even if the it has meant a lot of money for the league.

In what way? That people care more about what their guy does than their team? That can get annoying but fantasy has given people a need and reason to watch every game, thus opening up things like RedZone..Otherwise it's just the NFC East game that we'd be graced with every week.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Yeah, I agree. I now care about watching almost every game in the league on a week to week basis rather than just watching the Broncos. All due to fantasy football. That can't be a bad thing for the league. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I actually skipped Fantasy Football altogether this year after playing in 2-3 leagues for the last 7-8 years and it made me enjoy the games so much more. Did not miss it at all.

As for the real game, pretty much every prediction I've read, seen or heard (that gives a score not just a winner) has the Broncos winning either 30-20 or 31-21. It's actually kinda weird that across so many different platform everyone is in lock step.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Luck's playoff numbers in away games are pretty bad and he is 0-2. Their running game also stinks which hopefully means we can tee up the pass rush. I don't see a whole heck of a lot of issues on defense except TY Hilton's speed. But the offense needs to bring it on Sunday for the Broncos.

Can't believe Trent Richardson is 3rd string going into this game and will be playing special teams. In 2-3 years this guy will be completely out of the NFL.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wasn't as into fantasy this year as Ive been in the past. Partly because this hobby takes up a lot of my time. And my teams weren't that good. Thanks Cam Newton

Think we'll be good at home but at the very least Peyton's B game needs to show up. Would be nice if we could finally use JT too.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Luck's playoff numbers in away games are pretty bad and he is 0-2. Their running game also stinks which hopefully means we can tee up the pass rush. I don't see a whole heck of a lot of issues on defense except TY Hilton's speed. But the offense needs to bring it on Sunday for the Broncos.

Can't believe Trent Richardson is 3rd string going into this game and will be playing special teams. In 2-3 years this guy will be completely out of the NFL.

Yeah, drafting RBs in the first 2 rounds seems so unnecessary these days.

Sunday's weather - cloudy, in the 40s.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In what way? That people care more about what their guy does than their team? That can get annoying but fantasy has given people a need and reason to watch every game, thus opening up things like RedZone..Otherwise it's just the NFC East game that we'd be graced with every week.

That's what I meant when I said "even if it has meant a lot of money for the league", but what I was getting at was the obsession with stats that it has fueled amongst the fanbase, the rule changes that that obsession is responsible for, and the way casual fans started talking like experts just cause they've been paying attention to raw stats without the understanding of the sport to accurately contextualize them. The game has been changed and fans perceptions have become even more warped by raw stats than they already were, and that's very annoying for someone who's never been a fantasy sports fan because if I want to gamble on sports I'll just bet on the games.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
How does Baltimore do it? Up by two touchdowns early in the third. I'm not sure I'd want to face playoff Flacco anymore than going to play in Foxboro.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Stupid ass Ravens....

Yup.

Brady ripped them apart.

Sorry Broncos fans.
Don't see you guys beating the Pats even if you beat the Colts.

I hope it won't be Seattle - Patriots.

I don't want to have to root for the freaking Seahawks.
But I am not sure any other team could beat them.

Well. Go Seahawks!

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Flacco threw the game away at the end. No need to a throw like that with the way they were moving the ball and the time remaining in the game.

Broncos are going to have their work cut out for them should they win tomorrow.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
First things first...Broncos have to win tomorrow. Let's not overlook the Colts.

That said...despite the hope...we all knew we'd have to play NE once more if we wanted to go to the Super Bowl again. So if we win...bring it on.

I'm just sad tomorrow is the last home game until August.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm just more pissed that the Pats are that close to the SB. I have no problem with the Broncos having to go there and earn it. Though of course would gladly take it at home ourself. And not overlooking tomorrow at all. I could definitely see the legend of Luck begin defeating the old man himself. Better hope for an upset tonight or tomorrow or else we will be it.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This is one of the MAIN reasons I strongly despise John Harbaugh:

John Harbaugh-Patriots ran "illegal plays" in Playoff Win

"It's not something that anybody has ever done before," Harbaugh said. "They're an illegal type of a thing and I'm sure that [the NFL will] make some adjustments and things like that."

And love him or hate him, I liked Tom Brady's response when he was told of what Harbaugh said:

“Maybe those guys gotta study the rule book and figure it out,” Brady said. “We obviously knew what we were doing and we made some pretty important plays. It was a real good weapon for us. Maybe we’ll have something in store next week.”

If it's not in the rule-book as illegal, then Harbaugh needs to shut the "F" up...what a frigging whiner (and I know that most Broncos fans despise the Pats...but to put in context, I despise Harbaugh and the Ravens on the same level)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Panthers were keeping it close they just ran outta gas. But Seattle did look beatable.

Seattle is incredibly beatable, even at home...the problem is I think their opponents tend to give them too much respect (whether that's intentional or not).

You play a little physical against their Defense and they get off their game, they start looking for calls and stop playing.

I respect the hell out of Russell Wilson, but he's definitely a beatable QB. Lynch, while an incredibly strong and deceptively fast/quick RB, is an easy one--just go for his legs. Too many times people try to tackle him up top, but he's so powerful that he gets more yards than he should. You go for his legs (legally) and he comes down much quicker.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This is one of the MAIN reasons I strongly despise John Harbaugh:

John Harbaugh-Patriots ran "illegal plays" in Playoff Win

And love him or hate him, I liked Tom Brady's response when he was told of what Harbaugh said:

If it's not in the rule-book as illegal, then Harbaugh needs to shut the "F" up...what a frigging whiner (and I know that most Broncos fans despise the Pats...but to put in context, I despise Harbaugh and the Ravens on the same level)

Didn't think John was as whiny as his brother, but I guess that's not saying much.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
CSU basketball @ Air Force
Avs vs Stars
Mammoth home opener

Give me three wins, guys. Please?

What a day!

CSU wins a thriller @ AF
Avs come from two goals down to beat the Stars
Mammoth knock off the Roughnecks 17-16 in OT

Nuggets won yesterday. Just need the Broncos to come out on top and it'll be a perfect weekend.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
well the NFL is saying the Pats offense yesterday was legal.

Get ready for a floodgate of copycats, and eventually we'll move to a lineup of 4 TE's, 4 WR's, 2 RB's and 1 QB on the field.

This is going to destroy the game. I'm a purist that's pissed. If I wanted to see a bunch of skinny fast dudes throwing around the football to each other I'd just watch Aussie 7's. That game already exists.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
well the NFL is saying the Pats offense yesterday was legal.

Get ready for a floodgate of copycats, and eventually we'll move to a lineup of 4 TE's, 4 WR's, 2 RB's and 1 QB on the field.

This is going to destroy the game. I'm a purist that's pissed. If I wanted to see a bunch of skinny fast dudes throwing around the football to each other I'd just watch Aussie 7's. That game already exists.

Harbaugh had a problem with the quickness in which plays reported eligible/ineligible to be a Receiver...saying that the Ravens "deserved a chance to see who is/isn't eligible"...the NFL rulebook doesn't stipulate that they be given that time--he's whining.

Flacco still the "best QB in the NFL" John?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad