OT: Other Sports aka CSU Football Thread XX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Mozgov to Cavs, a lot of national writers said Nurkic has been great. More playing time for Nurkic.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Mozgov to Cavs, a lot of national writers said Nurkic has been great. More playing time for Nurkic.

Nuggets picked up 2 first rounders for Mozgov - wow. The Cavs just got fleeced. Best Nuggets trade since moving up for Lawson.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Nuggets picked up 2 first rounders for Mozgov - wow. The Cavs just got fleeced. Best Nuggets trade since moving up for Lawson.

Well, we'll see what the Nuggets do with those first rounders. I remember when they stockpiled a ton of first rounders when they first had Carmelo, then pretty much used them all in that stupid sign/trade for K-Mart. But, really, there's a lot about the way the NBA does trades and what not that simply make no sense to me. Draft picks are thrown around all the damn time like they're nothing, so I don't even begin to understand what kind of value they hold.

But hey, it sounds like the Cavaliers are already starting to panic, so...bonus! :laugh:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well, we'll see what the Nuggets do with those first rounders. I remember when they stockpiled a ton of first rounders when they first had Carmelo, then pretty much used them all in that stupid sign/trade for K-Mart. But, really, there's a lot about the way the NBA does trades and what not that simply make no sense to me. Draft picks are thrown around all the damn time like they're nothing, so I don't even begin to understand what kind of value they hold.

But hey, it sounds like the Cavaliers are already starting to panic, so...bonus! :laugh:

Draft pick value is completely different than in the NHL. It really depends on the draft. In some years a top 5 pick is worth gold.
In another years the #3 pick is not worth all that much (see: 2013 draft).

At the same time picks are becoming more and more important with the stiff luxury tax penalties and the very limited option for teams that are over the cap.

The #1 pick in a strong draft year is worth gold.
Forget about adding McDavid. Anthony Davis is worth way more to a franchise. One player has so much impact in the NBA it is a bit crazy.

You basically need to draft a superstar (unless you are a destination city like Miami or LA where you can get superstars to join you via UFA). Or atleast a top 5 coach.
Otherwise you are better off going the 76ers way and just blatantly tank for years.

So a top 5 pick in a strong draft year could be worth gold if there are All Star caliber talents available at #5.

If you are unlucky you end up with Anthony Bennett at #1.

Late firsts are not worth much because of the low success rate of players picked after #20 (unless you are the Spurs) but at the same time still valuable because it is one of the few ways to add potential rotation players once you are over the cap. Having a starter on an ELC is huge.

They are also the main currency in a world where trading gets more complicated by the day because of salary cap and Lux Tax reasons.

Seconds are worth even less but they are in some sense more valuable than late firsts because of no guaranteed contracts.

It is a bit confusing but it all starts with needing a "superstar" to have a chance at anything. Most teams only have a chance to get one via the draft.

The Nuggets desperately need to pull the plug and restart.
They are built the absolute worst way.

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
just draft a bunch of euro guys with late firsts / 2nds until your team is decimated bad. And then you get 2 or 3 top 5 picks and you're golden. Then you go back to drafting euro dudes.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I'd much rather see Hickson or McGee shipped out than Mozgov, but those two probably don't have nearly the trade value that Mozzy brought back.

Either way, Nurkic needs more minutes. I've been singing his praises all year and now other people are starting to take notice.

As for the Nuggets themselves, I really don't think they're in as bad a situation as most people here. They need to stop relying on Chandler and Gallo staying healthy; beyond that I actually like how they're set up.

I'd get rid of Robinson for a better/more reliable depth PG.

But I like Lawson, Nurkic, Faried, and Afflalo. Get a reliable scoring option to play the 3 and that's a good starting 5.

I think Gary Harris could turn out to be a player as well, and when healthy Foye is a decent backup 2.

I'd like to see Arthur, Hickson, and McGee replaced for some better big man depth but Hickson isn't killing us.

They just don't seem to be able to put it together on a nightly basis. But there are games, and stretches within games, where you can really see what they were going for. I just don't know if Shaw is the right coach to get the best out of this team.

Still glad as hell to see Karl gone, though. If we have to suffer through a few Shaws before we get another decent coach, I can live with that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You guys don't understand how exciting this is, but the Giants actually fired Perry Fewell today...I have not stopped smiling since...

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You guys don't understand how exciting this is, but the Giants actually fired Perry Fewell today...I have not stopped smiling since...

Be careful what you wish for.

Eagles fans (myself included) were very happy when they fired McDermott, Bowles and Castillo (ok the last one was clueless).

Now we are stuck with Billy Davis.:shakehead

Fewell wasn't great but he certainly could coach up a D when he had the talent.

I am not sure the Giants have the talent needed to field a good D.

Same way the Eagles didn't under Bowles and McDermott.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
I'm glad to see the Nuggets finally moving some pieces, because this team ain't going anywhere with the current roster.

Call me crazy, but I think they probably could've gotten more for more Mozzy had they held onto him until the trade deadline (ie, two firsts, but without all of the BS protections - just one more reason the NBA is whack). Of course, the advantage to moving him now is that you don't risk seeing him get injured like Javale and just completely destroy his value, and you open the door for Jusuf to start getting more playing time ASAP.

I wouldn't consider anyone on that team untouchable though. If someone wants to give you the farm for Ty Lawson, then you have to at least consider it. This team is NOT close to competing, especially in the west.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't think it's a bad trade for either the Nuggets or Cavs.

The Nuggets get 2 1st round draft picks (albeit with a lot of red tape with them) and the Cavs get the guy they've been after for a while.

The Cavs are clearly in a "win now" mode with LeBron, Love and Irving on board. I liked their acquisition of Shumpert, he'll never be a consistent scoring threat but he plays defense pretty well. JR Smith is a frigging headcase but he can provide some scoring off the bench.

Part of me wonders though, if the Cavs would have been better off NOT trading for Love. He's a good basketball player, that is not in question, but he needs the ball consistently to maximize his productivity. I think this Cavaliers team could have been just as dangerous, if not more so, by keeping Wiggins and Bennett (who lost a lot of weight and was looking not too shabby in the Summer League) and incorporating the youngsters in with LeBron and Irving.

Oh well, what's done is done.

I think that's still a decent trade for the Nuggets though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Be careful what you wish for.

Eagles fans (myself included) were very happy when they fired McDermott, Bowles and Castillo (ok the last one was clueless).

Now we are stuck with Billy Davis.:shakehead

Fewell wasn't great but he certainly could coach up a D when he had the talent.

I am not sure the Giants have the talent needed to field a good D.

Same way the Eagles didn't under Bowles and McDermott.

Actually Fewell's best work came when injuries forced him to abandon his "system" and simplify his coverage shells. That happened in our SB year, and it happened in Buffalo to get him the job. The problem was that he would always revert to trying to implement his overly complicated zone schemes while abandoning the blitz as soon as he'd get some bodies healthy.

Plus, last year we finally got change at OC after *****ing about killdrive for years, and McAdoo has been awesome.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I actually did watch a few minutes of the Magic/Nuggets game last night (man, seems like a lifetime ago that the Magic always seemed to be a team that made headlines, even when they were bad). Faried may not be an elite player, but he sure is fun to watch.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I don't think Warner is a first ballot lock. I think he belongs in the Hall, but there are going to be people who dock him for his relatively short span of great play.

But as far as I'm concerned, the Hall of Fame is a joke until Randy Gradishar gets in. The dude's the all-time leading tackler; he had more tackles in 10 seasons than Junior Seau had in 20.

Also Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
It always amazes me how quickly they can change the playing surface at Pepsi Center. There's an Avs game at 1:00 and then a Mammoth game at 7:00 on Saturday. I remember one weekend when the Avs, Nuggets, Mammoth, and Crush all had a home game. Four games from four different sports in the same place in the span of a weekend. I made it to three of the four games (couldn't swing the Nuggets, as much as I'd have liked to).

In any case, I'll be at the Mammoth game. Home opener against our most hated rival, the Calgary Roughnecks. Knocked us out of the playoffs in OT last year; was pretty heartbreaking year of sports for all my favorite teams except the Outlaws.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think Warner is a first ballot lock. I think he belongs in the Hall, but there are going to be people who dock him for his relatively short span of great play.

But as far as I'm concerned, the Hall of Fame is a joke until Randy Gradishar gets in. The dude's the all-time leading tackler; he had more tackles in 10 seasons than Junior Seau had in 20.

Also Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater.

Warner will be a first ballot guy because of his role in the history of the game. You can't tell the story of the NFL without Warner's tale as the QB of greatest show on turf. Him going to Arizona and taking them to a SB after looking super washed up with the giants is just icing on the cake.

PS Tackles are such a dumb stat.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Warner will be a first ballot guy because of his role in the history of the game. You can't tell the story of the NFL without Warner's tale as the QB of greatest show on turf. Him going to Arizona and taking them to a SB after looking super washed up with the giants is just icing on the cake.

And with exception of the come back his resume isn't that much better than TD's.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And with exception of the come back his resume isn't that much better than TD's.

No, but his story is and he's a QB. From bagboy to Superbowl winner and league MVP is the type of thing that the HOF committee will have a massive ***** for because it makes him an irreplaceable part of the "story of the NFL". Just the way that organization operates. Same reason Eli and Coughlin are HOF locks already, with Coughlin guaranteed to go in as a first ballot guy.

Granted I think TD should absolutely be in the HOF as the NFL HOF already has enough accumulators who were never as dominant as TD, but that's a separate topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad