Proposal: Other offers for PK Subban

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Really? I'm surprised. I think Subban would be a steal for STL if they had the guts to call and do that. But our GM tends to overrate his own assets. Heaven forbid we'd ever trade Petro.

Petro is an elite defenseman in the league. I prefer his all around game to PK's. Subban is far more dynamic and a more interesting personality, but I don't think he is that much better of a player.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Huh

Weber contact is amazing for the Habs...

Its official a 10 year deal, but really a 7 year deal. He gets paid 1M per in the last 3 years. There is no way he is playing those years, and Mtl gets no cap pentaltly if he retires early (Nashville is SCREEEEWED).

If he doesnt retire MTL is on the hook for full cap hit.

If he retires NSH is indeed screwed. 24M hits the last 3 yrs.

8 per yr if he retires without playing in any of those 3 yrs
12M\yr if he retires after playing one of those 3 yrs
24M cap hit if he retires at age 39 :amazed:

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
If he doesnt retire MTL is on the hook for full cap hit.

If he retires NSH is indeed screwed. 24M hits the last 3 yrs.

8 per yr if he retires without playing in any of those 3 yrs
12M\yr if he retires after playing one of those 3 yrs
24M cap hit if he retires at age 39 :amazed:

Sure, but that means he is still playing, Elite guys generally retire once their game takes a big dip.

I personally think that Weber has 6-7 elite years in him, and 7-8 top pairing dmen years. So I have no problem him playing out the deal. I just don't think he'll want to play those last 3 years, or atleast all of them I Montreal with their taxes for 1M per year.

He'll be getting what 480K a year to play at 38-39 etc..

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Well it's getting funny to watch/hear....a month ago PK was over rated, over paid, too risky, not worthy of a World Cup spot and not a ligit Norris winner due to shortened season. Meanwhile Weber was a beast, a "tower of strength for the next 5 years" after the S Jones trade, Canada's #1D.

Now, Weber is old with a bad contract and PK is what the new NHL d man looks like......lol.

Some of you are funny with your obvious biases.

How is it considered bias if said posters changed stance?

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
I wonder if knowing Pulju would still be available at 4 would've influenced either EDM or MON's stance on the trade

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I believe that the following deal with EDM would have been equitable for both teams

Hall
4OA
Klefbom
Yakupov
for
Subban
9OA

however, it is rumored that Bergevin insisted on Draisaitl instead of Hall, and RNH instead of Yak.

This stopped Chiarelli from pulling te trigger on the trade early. Wen Columbus dropped the bombshell of picking Dubois instead of Puljujarvi, everything fell apart.

I dont buy this for one moment. Show us the link that says this.

As for the actual proposal, I would have parted with Hall and another piece such as Klefbom for Subban. Thats all. The 4th OA plus Yak for the 9th is fantasy.

CharlesHabsFan

Jun 28, 2012
Sherbrooke, QC
I tend to agree with some things mentionned here. Ultimately, Bergevin being a former defenseman would not have accepted any deal for Subban that would not have involved a skilled capable defenseman coming back (he even said so himself in the press conference following the trade). Otherwise, it would need a good overpay from a team with only a rookie defenseman, along with great forwards to make up for the hole created on defense, prioritized by the GM.

Simply, the Oilers' only chance was to offer a big package for Subban including Nurse or Klefbom + high forward talent + their 1st. And as already mentionned, it was reported the Canadiens' management wanted Pier-Luc Dubois badly. Columbus stealing him with the 3rd was most likely the end of conversation for Chiarelli and Bergevin, assuming Chiarelli wasn't too keen on giving Bergevin what he was asking for, reported to be Draisatl + Nurse + 1st (PLD).

I'd add to that the fact that it was likely very important that the Habs were not adding their 9th overall (Sergachev), in the trade for Subban. It gave them a window to cushion the loss of Subban with their own pick.

As another poster said, I'm pretty sure not many Habs fan would have been happy with the return whichever it had been other. Be it Weber, Nurse+Draisatl+1st, Barrie+Duchene, etc, no Habs fan wouldn't have been angry because we simply didn't want him to be moved at all. It's not the return, it's the fact he was traded in the first place, the fact that the team lied to us by repeating over and over he was not being shopped when he actually was. And I was one of the very adamant one on defending management on that... It certainly feels like a big betrayal from our team.

But I am happy with Weber coming in too. I hope it's for the better of the team, really, as the GM assures.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
This is what I would do, not necessarily what the Jets would have done.

I would have offered Trouba + 22nd OA 2016 for Subban.

Heck, I might even be tempted to throw 2OA if we got another something coming back.

I don't think any other Jets fan would do this though, I value Subban very high.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Well it's getting funny to watch/hear....a month ago PK was over rated, over paid, too risky, not worthy of a World Cup spot and not a ligit Norris winner due to shortened season. Meanwhile Weber was a beast, a "tower of strength for the next 5 years" after the S Jones trade, Canada's #1D.

Now, Weber is old with a bad contract and PK is what the new NHL d man looks like......lol.

Some of you are funny with your obvious biases.

You must have just happened to have missed the litany of posters who have talked about how bad Weber's contract is, how screwed Nashville is if he retires and how old, slow and overrated he is compared to other top defensemen.

We all hold biases, even you, and those biases cloud what we see. Maybe you didn't see the Weber stuff until now because it didn't effect your team if all, or any, of those things were true, but now that Weber is in the spotlight again after this trade to Montreal you see that stuff.

For what it's worth, Subban has been looked at as a top 5 defenseman by a lot of people here for a few years now. He has also been hated by a lot of people here. Both of those things are still true.

It's not that I don't think some people have drastically changed their tunes since the trade, but I think posts like yours severely overblow that change in opinion and those exaggerations do no good for the discussion at hand.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
To Chicago:
Subban

To Montreal:
Keith

Deal or no deal?

Last edited:

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
In hf land they're better. Only better one I see from a hockey pov is A Pie from stl. Of course stl would never do that.

Picks....prospects...

That Anaheim offer is ridiculously good as well.

Montour, Vatanen, Ritchie, 1st & 3rd for Beaulieu & Subban....That's incredible.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This is what I would do, not necessarily what the Jets would have done.

I would have offered Trouba + 22nd OA 2016 for Subban.

Heck, I might even be tempted to throw 2OA if we got another something coming back.

I don't think any other Jets fan would do this though, I value Subban very high.

I think you mean Trouba + 2nd and "throw in #22". :laugh:

Brendonhayden

Jan 25, 2016
As a blues fan I would do petro for pk in a heart beat he is one of the most fun players to watch in the nhl but Armstrong would have probably asked to swap first round picks or something. I think petro is gonna be our our captain which I am fine with but my vote goes steen but if we had subban I would give it to him if steen we to leave after this year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I love Weber, but that's a better offer! Galchenyuk-Duchene-Plekanec down the middle, that's would have been of the best in the league down the middle
ummm, Crosby-Malkin-Bonino? Seguin-Spezza-Eakin. I'm not sure that would even be top 5. It has good, depth and potential, but I think to have a claim as having the best down the middle, you need a top 5 to 10 center in the League. I don't think Galy or Duchene are at that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad