Proposal: Other offers for PK Subban

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
How can you possibly think that's better value than Weber

No one in that offer is signed until they're 40 with a cap up in the high 7's.

So... it really comes down how much you think Weber will contribute on the downhill side of his deal.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I believe that the following deal with EDM would have been equitable for both teams

Hall
4OA
Klefbom
Yakupov

for
Subban
9OA

Yeah, no. To upgrade Klefbom that's a big package. Having followed Petry's NCAA/AHL/NHL career I already see Klefbom as better/young version of him.

I'm glad no trade happened between the two because it would have been a massive robbery compared to the little robbery by the Devils.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
I love PK but as a Hawks fan, there is no realistic offer...

Seabrook, Crawford and something else, but the Canadians would never do that considering they have Price and the Hawks wouldn't do that because they can't have another 10 million (or 9) locked up in one player, despite how good PK is that would be a terrible thing for the Hawks.

If it was possible tho I would certainly welcome PK lol...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It looks like a team would have to give up a top 15ish defenseman, preferably right handed. That severely limits the pool of teams who could have made a legitimate offer.

I saw something about Subban and a 1st for Letang. Letang's value is higher than Weber's currently, but the difference certainly isn't a first round pick. I doubt Montreal would have done that.

Subban is a better PP guy, but he also makes more than 2 mil more. And on a team that's already paying 2 guys 8.7+ and another 6.8, every penny counts.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
The ask was Nuge. 4th. Leon D. Nurse and somethnic else and montreal was not sending 9th

I don't know what your sources are, but I doubt MB would've asked for two centers. I think it's fair to assume that Draisaitl was a player MB was really gunning for, along with one of Klefbom/Nurse (not sure he felt very comfortable with neither of them) and the 4th.

If, on top of that, he asked for one of the $6.0m kids, my guess would be Eberle, who back then would've filled a very important spot on the right side. But I'm having a hard time believing MB would've asked for that much, though the Oilers probably had to send salaries back, so I guess it could make sense. But if he did asked for that (and something else on top), then MB is either...

a) ...one delusional mother****er.
b) ...offering other stuff on his end of the deal, oncluding most probably the 9th overall pick.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Letang is cheaper and better

In reality, they would likely be traded for each other without any other assets involved. One side or the other wouldn't accept a pick just to downgrade their top D man. They would be traded for each other because each team think they get the better (or more suitable) player.

Anyway, it's really arguable wich one is better then the other one. Myself, I'd rather have Subban, but can see why someone would prefer Letang.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I believe that the following deal with EDM would have been equitable for both teams

Hall
4OA
Klefbom
Yakupov

for
Subban
9OA

however, it is rumored that Bergevin insisted on Draisaitl instead of Hall, and RNH instead of Yak.

This stopped Chiarelli from pulling te trigger on the trade early. Wen Columbus dropped the bombshell of picking Dubois instead of Puljujarvi, everything fell apart.

On the day of the draft I thought it was,

Draisaitl
4th
Nurse

For

PK Subban

And the Oilers said no.

I love Weber but that offer would have helped more in a couple of years.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
On the day of the draft I thought it was,

Draisaitl
4th
Nurse

For

PK Subban

And the Oilers said no.

I love Weber but that offer would have helped more in a couple of years.

Not different from what the post you quoted.

Draisaitl was the deal breaker as per some reports but Hall+4th+Nurse would have been fine for Chiarelli.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Not different from what the post you quoted.

Draisaitl was the deal breaker as per some reports but Hall+4th+Nurse would have been fine for Chiarelli.

Either deal the Oilers would have been a better team today if they got PK.
I guess I'm surprised the Oil didn't over pay a little knowing PK was on the table?

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think if PLD was available at 4, I think it's likely Subban is an Oiler. I think a deal in principle might have been there between Montreal and Edmonton but only if PLD was available at 4.. He wasn't. So i think that's what killed it.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
No one in that offer is signed until they're 40 with a cap up in the high 7's.

So... it really comes down how much you think Weber will contribute on the downhill side of his deal.

It's widely believed he'll retire once his salary gets down to 1m/year for 3 years

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Either deal the Oilers would have been a better team today if they got PK.
I guess I'm surprised the Oil didn't over pay a little knowing PK was on the table?

not sure if they Oilers would have been a better team if they gave up Draisaitl+Puljujarvi+Klefbom\Nurse for Subban..

Subban is very good but as an Oilers fan I am happy with the Klefbom downgrade if it means we get to keep Puljujarvi and Draisaitl.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think if PLD was available at 4, I think it's likely Subban is an Oiler. I think a deal in principle might have been there between Montreal and Edmonton but only if PLD was available at 4.. He wasn't. So i think that's what killed it.

probably true... It cant be a coincidence that the Hall-Larsson and Subban-Weber deals went down one after another.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
not sure if they Oilers would have been a better team if they gave up Draisaitl+Puljujarvi+Klefbom\Nurse for Subban..

Subban is very good but as an Oilers fan I am happy with the Klefbom downgrade if it means we get to keep Puljujarvi and Draisaitl.

I agree. Driasitl, Puljujarvi and Nurse is simply too high a price to pay for a Norris winning number #1 defender. If it was for Subban and #9, then that's more likely to happen, and if I were a Habs fan I think I would prefer that to Weber. However, that's just my opinion, and I can certainly understand others disagreeing.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I think what the Habs got is better than all of the offers so far tbh

Well it's getting funny to watch/hear....a month ago PK was over rated, over paid, too risky, not worthy of a World Cup spot and not a ligit Norris winner due to shortened season. Meanwhile Weber was a beast, a "tower of strength for the next 5 years" after the S Jones trade, Canada's #1D.

Now, Weber is old with a bad contract and PK is what the new NHL d man looks like......lol.

Some of you are funny with your obvious biases.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad