Proposal: Other offers for PK Subban

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
IMO it boiled down to Bergevin having to make a trade that still kept the Habs in a playoff spot next year.

That's why he couldn't take the Edmonton package, even though I think in the long run that was the smarter package to take.

If they miss the playoffs again next year, people would demand Bergevin's head and he knows it.

Trading Subban for Weber bought him some time and job security, plain and simple.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Pietrangelo for Subban. If Montreal demands a pick thrown in, then do it. It would be worth it. If I'm a GM and Subban is available, then I'm calling. But our GM is the most overrated GM in the NHL. No chance of a trade like that happening here. Hats off to Nashville's GM for having the creativity to go for it.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well it's getting funny to watch/hear....a month ago PK was over rated, over paid, too risky, not worthy of a World Cup spot and not a ligit Norris winner due to shortened season. Meanwhile Weber was a beast, a "tower of strength for the next 5 years" after the S Jones trade, Canada's #1D.

Now, Weber is old with a bad contract and PK is what the new NHL d man looks like......lol.

Some of you are funny with your obvious biases.

Most people are viewing this long term. Subban and Weber are about equal in my eyes right now but Weber is past his prime years and plays a very physical game which will wear him down faster. I think Weber still has 3-5 really good years left depending on who he gets paired with.after that he will still likely be a high end second pairing d for a few years but his contract I until he is 41. Subban meanwhile is in his prime years. I think tho trade is about system fit. Subban fits into lavis system better then Weber does and Weber fits better into the Canadiens system better. Subban will help press the attack and Weber help clear the crease and break people with slapshots.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Pietrangelo for Subban. If Montreal demands a pick thrown in, then do it. It would be worth it. If I'm a GM and Subban is available, then I'm calling. But our GM is the most overrated GM in the NHL. No chance of a trade like that happening here. Hats off to Nashville's GM for having the creativity to go for it.

I probably would've asked for the pick to make up for the fact that Pietrangelo is a UFA in 4-years. I don't think it deserves a 1st, considering both player's cap hit, but a 2nd would be nice. Had that offer been on the table, and I was MTL's GM...I would have had a freakin' hard time refusing it honestly.

Last edited:

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I probably would've asked for the pick to make up for the fact that Pietrangelo is a UFA in 4-years. I don't think it deserves a 1st, considering both player's cap hit, but a 2nd would be nice. Had that offer been on the table, and I was MTL's GM...I would have had a freakin' hard time refusing it honestly.

Really? I'm surprised. I think Subban would be a steal for STL if they had the guts to call and do that. But our GM tends to overrate his own assets. Heaven forbid we'd ever trade Petro.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Really? I'm surprised. I think Subban would be a steal for STL if they had the guts to call and do that. But our GM tends to overrate his own assets. Heaven forbid we'd ever trade Petro.

Analytics people are probably gonna crucify me, but take their respective contract out of the equation, Pietrangelo is one of the very few right-handed defenseman (which was a must I think) outhere I would've considered trading Subban for, 1-on-1.

Hell, Pietrangelo is 26, has two years less on his contract, but also $2.5m less of caphit. Fairly good offensive numbers in the regular season and playoffs. I would have to dig a little deeper, but on the surface, I would say even straight up I would probably have been intrigued by the proposal.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Edmonton should have made something happen. Overpay

There's no team in the NHL who would have benefitted more from Subban than Oilers.

McDavid/Subban duo is cup winning duo. Start of a dynasty. It sounds like Mtl wanted Edmonton to overpay but I think Edmonton should have
It would have worked out for them long term.

As a Habs fan - I am much less upset at the return (Weber) than most. That being said - I am more upset than most that PK got traded to begin with. I said in another thread that even if PK got traded for McDavid I'd be upset (though I likely would have turned to excited pretty damn quick). Most Mtl fans didn't want PK traded period - it wasn't about the return.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Subban is a better PP guy, but he also makes more than 2 mil more. And on a team that's already paying 2 guys 8.7+ and another 6.8, every penny counts.

That's fine, but Montreal doesn't care about that. If they have Weber on the table and Letang, but for Weber it's straight up and Letang they have to add a first, they are taking Weber still. There's no way they are giving up their best skater AND a 1st to replace their best skater. I had Letang beneath Subban on top ten rankings before he was a Predator, too, so it isn't like I'm suddenly overrating the guy. He's a better player than Letang, even if the difference is slight, so there is no way you'd get fans to agree to Subban and a 1st for Letang when they already know Subban alone got them Weber. Obviously fans don't make trades, but they hypothetically make them on here so that's the target audience and they say "No" to this deal almost across the board.

Still, something centered around Letang and Subban is better than a good deal of the offers I've seen.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Edmonton should have made something happen. Overpay

There's no team in the NHL who would have benefitted more from Subban than Oilers.

McDavid/Subban duo is cup winning duo. Start of a dynasty. It sounds like Mtl wanted Edmonton to overpay but I think Edmonton should have
It would have worked out for them long term.

As a Habs fan - I am much less upset at the return (Weber) than most. That being said - I am more upset than most that PK got traded to begin with. I said in another thread that even if PK got traded for McDavid I'd be upset (though I likely would have turned to excited pretty damn quick). Most Mtl fans didn't want PK traded period - it wasn't about the return.

based on what Hall fetch I am pretty sure Chia was already overpaying.
MTL potentially got too greedy forcing Chia to go to plan B and pull the trigger on Larsson.

Nuge + Nurse + Puljujarvi would have been the least MTL would have acquired.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I am not defending the trade, by any means, but i think it boiled down to MB's belief that Weber was at the very least an equal trade for Subban.
MB was a defenseman when he played and has made no secret of the fact he favors D over other players, and focuses more on them.
Trading away PK for a Nurse or Klefbom is a downgrade on the D and even though there would have been other elements involved, Hall/RNH/Draisaitl, looking strictly at the D, the Habs lose.

I would have preferred the Duchene+Barrie deal, over the Weber trade or any Edmonton offer, as I believe that is the far superior trade and a lot better of a return for Subban. But who knows if that was even an option?

I think MB was very interested in that 4th pick for either Puljujarvi or Dubois, so that, or Puljujarvi himself after the draft, would have definitely been involved from Edmonton. Plus he would have wanted a D back guaranteed, so either Nurse or Klefbom. Then he would have wanted a forward to help up front, so it would have included either Hall, Draisaitl, or at the very least RNH, though I'm personally not big on him.
So that would have been 4th/Puljujarvi + Nurse/Klefbom + Hall/Draisaitl/RNH for Subban, which is the proposal we were all saying it would take in the month leading up to the draft, and Oilers fans were saying it would be to much. So i guess we were all right on that front.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I am not defending the trade, by any means, but i think it boiled down to MB's belief that Weber was at the very least an equal trade for Subban.
MB was a defenseman when he played and has made no secret of the fact he favors D over other players, and focuses more on them.
Trading away PK for a Nurse or Klefbom is a downgrade on the D and even though there would have been other elements involved, Hall/RNH/Draisaitl, looking strictly at the D, the Habs lose.
I would have preferred the Duchene+Barrie deal, over the Weber trade or any Edmonton offer, as I believe that is the far superior trade and a lot better of a return for Subban. But who knows if that was even an option?

fair enough.. Oilers had no Dman anywhere close to the value of a Weber. MTL chose an elite proven Dman over a collection of younger skilled but unproven players ..

Seems like both Canadian teams lost their respective deals but hopefully both improved long term.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I think I'd offer Giordano one-for-one for PK as a Flames fan. And I believe that's better for the Habs than Weber (based solely on contract, if nothing else).

bloudy

Feb 12, 2015
East Vancouver
Realistically, the speculation that an EDM Fwd/D/+Dubois deal fell apart seems to make sense when you factor in the b2b Hall and Subban trades (in which case, thanks for screwing us CBJ).

I'm trying to take solace in the fact that Weber will probably be a better mentor and anchor for Sergachev. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens this year with the lack of dynamic, puck-moving D we have all of a sudden for some reason...

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I think I'd offer Giordano one-for-one for PK as a Flames fan. And I believe that's better for the Habs than Weber (based solely on contract, if nothing else).

Huh

Weber contact is amazing for the Habs...

Its official a 10 year deal, but really a 7 year deal. He gets paid 1M per in the last 3 years. There is no way he is playing those years, and Mtl gets no cap pentaltly if he retires early (Nashville is SCREEEEWED).

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010

Yup no chances, The Blues clearly have Pietrangelo as being better overall than subban.

You GM as ast GM to team Canada in 2014 and GM of the team Canada in this year world cup took AP over Subban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad