Other Hockey talk (NCAA, ECHL, AHL, KHL, etc.)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
At some point someone will give him a call. People forget Bruce Boudereau came from the Mississippi Sea Wolves, and he was in his 40s as well.

Might take an AHL job or an NHL assistant first, but he'll likely get a top job.

Reactions: DaveG

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

Wish it could have been a Canes ownership group.

Prominent partners in Zawyer’s group include NASCAR driver Kevin Harvick, Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, NFL linebacker Myles Jack, Carolina Panthers long-snapper J.J. Jansen and Fox NASCAR analyst Regan Smith.

There will be no change to the team’s NHL affiliation with the Stanley Cup champion Florida Panthers or to the team’s status as the primary tenant at Bojangles Coliseum.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Wish it could have been a Canes ownership group.

Prominent partners in Zawyer’s group include NASCAR driver Kevin Harvick, Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, NFL linebacker Myles Jack, Carolina Panthers long-snapper J.J. Jansen and Fox NASCAR analyst Regan Smith.

There will be no change to the team’s NHL affiliation with the Stanley Cup champion Florida Panthers or to the team’s status as the primary tenant at Bojangles Coliseum.
Based on the fact this is the first ownership change since Carolina made it publicly known they were interested in buying, I'm guessing this is the one Dundon made it pretty far in negotiaions with and walked away.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Synopsis? I pay to get through too many paywalls as it is.
Oh, I didn't hit paywall. Strange.

It was basically a profile of the guy (Max Chambers) that's behind the Major League Hockey that has been talked about for a few months. He basically pops up every few years to try and buy various teams but never actually is able to provide the money and things fall apart. There was mention of two Florida teams he attempted to buy when the WHA might have reformed during the 04-05 lockout, a BCHL team, the Blues, and the Coyotes.

He has told people that he has about $10 billion secured for this new league and has been recruiting people pretty heavily for the league between coaches and players and front office types. Most people have to sign NDAs to get the full info on the league, so there isn't as much out there as there could be about the league.

But he has frequently delayed the timeline of when the league will get off the ground, made outlandish claims about the financials of the teams in the league (teams will have higher budgets than some NHL teams, the franchises will be worth like $2.5 billion each, each team will have a $30 million salary cap), changed the cities involved a few times, put out terrible quality websites for the league, they completed a draft of 800 players without telling anyone, etc. And out of everyone that had been talked to that might have been involved with the league, nobody seemed to have been paid outside of a web designer. I remember this from a few months back, but it was reiterated in this article, that the journalist had reached out to every rink in Minnesota with a capacity of 2000 or more and none of them had ever heard of the MLH or the guy in charge. Once or twice, the guy got his son a job with teams that he was supposedly going to buy, and then the kid got let go. Once the kid got let go by one of those teams for putting positions he didn't have on his LinkedIn or some such.

I'm not sure what the end game is, but the whole thing seems like a scam in some way. Or perhaps some form of money laundering if it actually comes to fruition. We'll see, but it seems crazy.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Oh, I didn't hit paywall. Strange.

It was basically a profile of the guy (Max Chambers) that's behind the Major League Hockey that has been talked about for a few months. He basically pops up every few years to try and buy various teams but never actually is able to provide the money and things fall apart. There was mention of two Florida teams he attempted to buy when the WHA might have reformed during the 04-05 lockout, a BCHL team, the Blues, and the Coyotes.

He has told people that he has about $10 billion secured for this new league and has been recruiting people pretty heavily for the league between coaches and players and front office types. Most people have to sign NDAs to get the full info on the league, so there isn't as much out there as there could be about the league.

But he has frequently delayed the timeline of when the league will get off the ground, made outlandish claims about the financials of the teams in the league (teams will have higher budgets than some NHL teams, the franchises will be worth like $2.5 billion each, each team will have a $30 million salary cap), changed the cities involved a few times, put out terrible quality websites for the league, they completed a draft of 800 players without telling anyone, etc. And out of everyone that had been talked to that might have been involved with the league, nobody seemed to have been paid outside of a web designer. I remember this from a few months back, but it was reiterated in this article, that the journalist had reached out to every rink in Minnesota with a capacity of 2000 or more and none of them had ever heard of the MLH or the guy in charge. Once or twice, the guy got his son a job with teams that he was supposedly going to buy, and then the kid got let go. Once the kid got let go by one of those teams for putting positions he didn't have on his LinkedIn or some such.

I'm not sure what the end game is, but the whole thing seems like a scam in some way. Or perhaps some form of money laundering if it actually comes to fruition. We'll see, but it seems crazy.
Thanks. I’ve come across this type of human during my life a couple of times. I’m comfortable with the assumption none of this is coming to fruition.

We had a “pro” roller hockey league once (ironically called Major League Roller Hockey like this league) and there was a division of it in Denver. We had two teams in town, another in Ft Collins and maybe C Springs also had one as well as Boise and SLC. We all traveled to each other and played double headers on the weekends. My team was run by a guy who sounded a lot like this fella. Lots of promises of us getting a bus to take us to the games and actually getting paid amongst other perks. We took one bus ride from Denver to Denver for our first game and we never saw him again. We carpooled to all our games and ran the team ourselves to play out the season. It was full contact and fighting, it was basically prison hockey on wheels. I got paid in shin pads and concussions but we had a blast on our road trips. I also played in PIHA which was a sequel to that years later, much more well run and I think I got new gloves out of that….but also run (in our area anyways) by a similar fella who was a lot of talk about money but was a liar and it lost its credibility after maybe two years. Denver had a minor league team that maybe was created during a lockout? Kyle Quincey played for Denver, I think they were called the Cutthroats? They also disappeared after a year or two. Clown show behind the scenes from what I heard with another similar guy.

Untold: Crimes and Penalties is a great Netflix feature about a minor league team with mob ties that was in Danbury CT right after I left CT.

Hockey has such a history of bush league embarrassments. The movie Slap Shot wasn’t too far from the truth of what minor league hockey was when it came out. It was still similar to it well into the 90’s. The Colorado Eagles used to be two periods of pure fighting then one period of hockey to win the game, now they’re the Avs AHL affiliate.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
@sabremike needs a consulting role. I know he's told about it a few times though can't remember if it's this board or the mains
FB_IMG_1630652411922.jpg

This is a pic of me at the Danbury Hockey Night the Hat Tricks did a week before the pandemic hit. I was a game night intern and it was the single most fun job I've ever had. Random fun Trashers fact: did you know who did a signing/guest appearance the night of the Chad Wagner incident? John Cena (I still have the WWE CD he signed for me that night).

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
View attachment 895574
This is a pic of me at the Danbury Hockey Night the Hat Tricks did a week before the pandemic hit. I was a game night intern and it was the single most fun job I've ever had. Random fun Trashers fact: did you know who did a signing/guest appearance the night of the Chad Wagner incident? John Cena (I still have the WWE CD he signed for me that night).
Obligatory

Brrrrr.. APPLE DOUGH!!!

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Should have had it at Wakes football field, whatever it's known as these days. Halfway for both and I'm sure Wake wouldn't have minded :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, a hockey game at WFU would be pretty awesome I think. Good sightlines for football so Hockey in theory shouldn't be a problem and they IIRC still have the grass hill in the endzone.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad